Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Holy Cheese posted:

Buy a wired 360 controller? Press Esc? Look at the config files?

I dunno.

I have one, but I don't want to use it. I fixed it anyway. It thought my PS2 controller was a 360 controller, even though it's turned off so it shouldn't have shown up. And according to the game it's supposed to automatically swap between them based on what I'm using so I don't know why it wasn't switching to kb+mouse when I was using it. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I got a GMG key. Am I right in assuming that after preloading everything, Steam saying "Missing Decryption Key" and the fact that I get a "not available in region" when I try to access the HD texture storesite, means that all these will only be available on the 17th?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PureRok posted:

I have one, but I don't want to use it. I fixed it anyway. It thought my PS2 controller was a 360 controller, even though it's turned off so it shouldn't have shown up. And according to the game it's supposed to automatically swap between them based on what I'm using so I don't know why it wasn't switching to kb+mouse when I was using it. :iiam:

Is there a particular reason you don't want to use it? I'm waiting for a wireless adapter for my 360 controller to arrive before I really sink my teeth into the game because I'm assuming it controls better with one.

Does anyone have any feedback on what works best so far?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

DrNutt posted:

Is there a particular reason you don't want to use it?

I don't play games with shooting with a controller. That's it. I'll use for action games like Darksiders or something, but not a shooter (even if it is in third person).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PureRok posted:

I don't play games with shooting with a controller. That's it. I'll use for action games like Darksiders or something, but not a shooter (even if it is in third person).

So far most of the gameplay has been like Arkham Asylum, so you may want to use your controller until you actually get to shoot things. IIRC, parkingtigers has played for almost ten hours and hasn't unlocked guns yet.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, everything I've heard is that the focus is on fists, with guns being a temporary distraction. Like Yakuza in that sense.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, everything I've heard is that the focus is on fists, with guns being a temporary distraction. Like Yakuza in that sense.

Yeah I've been playing for several hours and only used guns in side missions. Honestly, you can still wreck people with your fists, even if they are using guns. From what I can tell, this is definitely a melee focused game, where guns are sort of just like temporary power-ups.

For this genre that's extremely original, and I'm loving that aspect of the game.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

So what I'm choosing to hear from this is "it's basically a modern day Fist of the North Star"

I wish I could play this faster.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Crappy Jack posted:

Huh. I guess I'll try the controller. I don't know anything about this game. I didn't even know it took place in Hong Kong before I bought it. I just thought it looked cool from a couple screenshots.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I'm not sure if I want to hear that the game is awesome or terrible seeing how I'm still waiting on GMG to cough up a key. Someone tell me that it's relentlessly mediocre!

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Goddamnit, back when I preordered in July, there weren't specific system specs, so I went off of similar comparisons on the same engine. Now I find out that since then, official specs have been released that don't support XP. :argh:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

5pm in the UK, guess I will be waiting another 18 hours then.

Sputnik posted:

Goddamnit, back when I preordered in July, there weren't specific system specs, so I went off of similar comparisons on the same engine. Now I find out that since then, official specs have been released that don't support XP. :argh:

Why are you still on XP

e: someone called support and the keys are going out "tonight" apparently.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 14, 2012

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
So hows this game? I have not seen anyone talking about how good/bad this game is. Is it worth swinging by and picking up later or should I wait until the price is lowered?

I watched some fighting sections and it looks awesome, but the fighting seemed a little off, I guess? Like, when you hit someone, does it feel like you actually hit them? Or do they just kinda slightly react to it and act like it never hurt them? Like in arkham city, when I punched someone I felt like it was really hitting them. Like in skyrim, I would hit someone and they would not even react. Ok I dragged on to much, hopefully someone can understand what im talking about!

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

kri kri posted:

Why are you still on XP

A mix of familiarity, "don't fix what ain't broke," and a lack of valid reasons to really upgrade. This might be the straw that broke the camel's back, though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The 360 version came out today in the US right?

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Sputnik posted:

A mix of familiarity, "don't fix what ain't broke," and a lack of valid reasons to really upgrade. This might be the straw that broke the camel's back, though.
It's a computer. You'll be forced to upgrade at some point.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zedicus Mann posted:

It's a computer. You'll be forced to upgrade at some point.

By delaying he was able to skip vista entirely (and possibly also windows 7). I'd call that a win.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Upgrade to Windows 7 64bit, and you'll be okay. Not sure how I feel about Windows 8, all signs point to it being the next Vista though.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Sputnik posted:

Windows 7 is good, better than Vista that had more holes than something with a lot of holes in. By holes I mean security. By security I mean don't use XP.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, upgrade to Windows 7. You'll probably use it just as long as you used XP and be just as reluctant to upgrade when Windows 9 or something comes along.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Holy Cheese posted:

Windows 7 is good, better than Vista that had more holes than something with a lot of holes in. By holes I mean security. By security I mean don't use XP.

Does Microsoft still release security fixes for XP or no? If not then you're playing with fire by being on XP.

Comedy go to Windows Millennium option. :v:

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Technically I use Windows XP x64 Pro, so I'm already used to three quarters of poo poo not running for compatibility issues. Don't worry guys, I'm looking into how to upgrade to Win 7 x64 by the end of the week :eng99:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I said come in! posted:

Upgrade to Windows 7 64bit, and you'll be okay. Not sure how I feel about Windows 8, all signs point to it being the next Vista though.

There's not really that big of difference between 7 and 8 except that 8 is free right now. It certainly doesn't have any glaring issues that make it unusable like vista did.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Does Microsoft still release security fixes for XP or no? If not then you're playing with fire by being on XP.

XP was End of Life in April 2009 for consumers. Upgrade your poo poo.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

projecthalaxy posted:

The 360 version came out today in the US right?

Yep. My copy showed up at work today and now I have to sit around pretending to work until I can play it. Wish it had a manual I could pore over, but oh well.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

I like when pre-order bonuses are actually just "buy the game" bonuses. Nice surprise to get the GSP pack with no pre-order.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Crappy Jack posted:

Yep. My copy showed up at work today and now I have to sit around pretending to work until I can play it. Wish it had a manual I could pore over, but oh well.

I only got to play for like 20 minutes last night before I had to go to sleep for work. Sometimes I hate being an adult, it really feels like a game that I'll be able to put some significant time in.

I really liked the combat in Arkham Asylum, but disliked most of the other gameplay elements so this game seems perfect to me because I love open world sandbox games.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

My key just came in, check the site.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

kri kri posted:

My key just came in, check the site.

Just got mine. Looks like it's North America and it has the Triad Enforcer DLC as advertised. It activated as "Sleeping Dogs Digital Edition"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I got a GMG key. Am I right in assuming that after preloading everything, Steam saying "Missing Decryption Key" and the fact that I get a "not available in region" when I try to access the HD texture storesite, means that all these will only be available on the 17th?

Or you've been given the incorrect key for your region. Apparently a lot of NA people got EU keys. Still waiting on my NA key.

edit: Key arrived, check your games page on the site.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

If you have mild OCD like me or care about your game covers, don't buy from Walmart. I got the PS3 version and it has this huge ugly Walmart logo adverstising the Deep Undercover Pack printed on the cover. I thought it was a sticker I could peel off.

Super lame cause the cover art is fantastic. I just might be that guy that calls up Square/Enix to mail me a new cover. I know it's lame but poo poo man I'm paying $60 for a console version. I want a normal cover.

Look how bad that is! I called up customer support and they said that's their deal with Walmart for first run games and he agreed it's terrible. He filed my complaint but I'm stuck with this crap cover unless I return it. Lesson learned I guess (don't buy at Walmart)

Housh fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 14, 2012

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Housh posted:

If you have mild OCD like me or care about your game covers, don't buy from Walmart. I got the PS3 version and it has this huge ugly Walmart logo adverstising the Deep Undercover Pack printed on the cover. I thought it was a sticker I could peel off.

Super lame cause the cover art is fantastic. I just might be that guy that calls up Square/Enix to mail me a new cover. I know it's lame but poo poo man I'm paying $60 for a console version. I want a normal cover.

What is this cover art you speak of? I'm a Steam baby. I used to love the huge manuals that you used to get with flight-sim games but that time is over. Sadly.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

When you get into the game, if you've played the Batman Arkham games, your instincts in combat will be to just counter all the time until all the dudes are down for good.

Don't do this. Counter when you need to.

But always be grabbing. Grab dudes and ram them into walls. Grab dudes and ram them into vending machines. Grab dudes and ram them into dumpsters.

Grabbing dudes and ramming them into things is the best fighting mechanic in a game and you will always be rewarded with a shiny new murder animation by experimenting with grabbing dudes and ramming them into new objects.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Yeah, the "EXCLUSIVE Georges St. Pierre 'GSP' Pack" graphic is printed on the Best Buy version and covers a guy's face on the boxart. I don't care but I could see how it would annoy someone who likes their boxarts.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Kelp Plankton posted:

When you get into the game, if you've played the Batman Arkham games, your instincts in combat will be to just counter all the time until all the dudes are down for good.

Don't do this. Counter when you need to.

But always be grabbing. Grab dudes and ram them into walls. Grab dudes and ram them into vending machines. Grab dudes and ram them into dumpsters.

Grabbing dudes and ramming them into things is the best fighting mechanic in a game and you will always be rewarded with a shiny new murder animation by experimenting with grabbing dudes and ramming them into new objects.

Don't forget the comedy option of stuffing them into roof air ducts!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Seymour Buttz posted:

I like when pre-order bonuses are actually just "buy the game" bonuses. Nice surprise to get the GSP pack with no pre-order.

That's great to hear, I am getting a non-preorder copy and wanted that. Shame about the Walmart cover thing though, it's really my only option as far as physical stores go.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

That's great to hear, I am getting a non-preorder copy and wanted that. Shame about the Walmart cover thing though, it's really my only option as far as physical stores go.

To clarify, I think the GSP thing is a Best Buy bonus. So you still have to use Best Buy but an actual pre-order isn't necessary.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Quick question: does installation of the PC version require internet connectivity to activate or anything? I only have a brief window where I'll be able to do so, if that's the case, so it'd help to know in advance.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Seymour Buttz posted:

To clarify, I think the GSP thing is a Best Buy bonus. So you still have to use Best Buy but an actual pre-order isn't necessary.

:( Oh well, at least it will probably be pay DLC soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

thehumandignity posted:

Quick question: does installation of the PC version require internet connectivity to activate or anything? I only have a brief window where I'll be able to do so, if that's the case, so it'd help to know in advance.

If it requires Steam then yes.

• Locked thread