Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

DontMockMySmock posted:

Slaanesh's sheet has a misprint - he/she requires two corruption tokens, not one, in a region with a hero or noble to get a dial advancement counter. I think it's mentioned in the actual rulebook.

This isn't true - it's corrected in the FAQ to be anyone who added corruption during that entire game round.

:ffg:

Why is there not an emoticon for this yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

DontMockMySmock posted:

This isn't true - it's corrected in the FAQ to be anyone who added corruption during that entire game round.

Son of a bitch! Well that's at least one rule that is now easier to explain.

Speaking of FFG rules, I didn't see it mentioned here, but Android: Netrunner's rules were released about a week ago: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3469

I have no idea if the changes are for the better or worse, but I guess we'll see a few weeks down the line. How generally well supported are FFG games, tournament-wise? I realize that none of them are exactly Magic-level popularity, but I wonder if any stores actually have regular organized play for their LCGs.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Do you live in MN because that's where their big event is. Beyond that I've never heard of any big support outside of cons. My local areas is filled with Magic players, and although people like to play other games at peoples' houses or at the one of the FLGSs when nothing is going on, I have never seen any tournament support.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Speaking of FFG rules, I didn't see it mentioned here, but Android: Netrunner's rules were released about a week ago: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3469

I have no idea if the changes are for the better or worse

The mechanical changes sound fine, but the new deckbuilding rules seem incredibly restrictive. Even if you go so far as to buy multiple copies of the base set, you're making a 45-card deck from a pool of 21 different cards, with a 3-of-each limit (plus up to 15 'points' worth of cards from outside that pool, where cards cost between 1 and infinity points). That doesn't seem like it leaves a lot of room for customization.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

NRVNQSR posted:

The mechanical changes sound fine, but the new deckbuilding rules seem incredibly restrictive. Even if you go so far as to buy multiple copies of the base set, you're making a 45-card deck from a pool of 21 different cards, with a 3-of-each limit (plus up to 15 'points' worth of cards from outside that pool, where cards cost between 1 and infinity points). That doesn't seem like it leaves a lot of room for customization.

You can build a bigger deck, but it's probably optimal to play as small as possible.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
They're making a King Arthur themed follow-up to The Resistance called The Resistance: Avalon -

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2012515236/the-resistance-avalon

Looks interesting. I guess one player will be "Merlin" and know who all the bad guys are, but has to be careful about revealing himself because the bad team has some way to assassinate him and win the game. I only get together with a group big enough to play these kinda games a couple of times a year, so probably going to pass. They also mention a new edition of The Resistance with new types of components which could be potentially cool.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Rudy Riot posted:

They're making a King Arthur themed follow-up to The Resistance called The Resistance: Avalon -

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2012515236/the-resistance-avalon

Looks interesting. I guess one player will be "Merlin" and know who all the bad guys are, but has to be careful about revealing himself because the bad team has some way to assassinate him and win the game. I only get together with a group big enough to play these kinda games a couple of times a year, so probably going to pass. They also mention a new edition of The Resistance with new types of components which could be potentially cool.
Man, those anime promo cards are more of a disincentive to pledge early, but I'll totally jump in on this. I'd be a bit worried about player elimination with the assassination stuff, but maybe it's more of a special automatic win/lose type scenario that only comes in the final round.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Man, those anime promo cards are more of a disincentive to pledge early, but I'll totally jump in on this. I'd be a bit worried about player elimination with the assassination stuff, but maybe it's more of a special automatic win/lose type scenario that only comes in the final round.

Yeah, the "sexy-Resistance" cards are pretty silly and unfortunate. As far as the Merlin thing, it sounded like in the video that it's an end-game thing that the bad guys can use to win, but I haven't actually seen any rules yet.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

NRVNQSR posted:

That's why they publish 20 new cards a month.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Regarding the idiotic LOS rules in Descent 2:

bleached_lizard on BGG posted:

I got a reply from FFG:

quote:

Hi Chris,

The example in the rulebook is correct. Jain cannot trace line of sight to the bottom right corner of the zombie's space because the line would pass through a blocked space. Yes, the target space is considered a blocked space because it contains a figure.

Thanks,
Adam Sadler
Managing Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games
asadler@fantasyflightgames.com
Welp, time to sell my copy.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Pierzak posted:

Regarding the idiotic LOS rules in Descent 2:

What's the context for this? Sounds pretty ridiculous.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Welp, time to sell my copy.

How would this situation come up? In the few times I've played the revised Descent, I've never seen it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Looselybased posted:

The context is the LOS example in the rulebook. Essentially, the zombie cannot be targeted because it blocks line of sight to itself. And that's the official FFG stance. I've heard the argument about balance, but if I wanted abstraction for the sake of balance, I'd play euros.

Unfit For Space posted:

How would this situation come up? In the few times I've played the revised Descent, I've never seen it.
The issue is the intention behind the rules. If FFG is OK with screwing up something as basic as LOS at the very release, what else are they willing to gently caress up?

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Broken Loose posted:

Hey, Orlando goons, what are your plans this week? I need you for playtesting.

This is basically the funnest thing not made by Vlaada Chvatil I've played this year. Get ready, people. Get ready.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Bobby The Rookie posted:

If there's one thing I've always thought was lacking from The Resistance, it was More Anime. I've never pledged faster.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

St0rmD posted:

This is basically the funnest thing not made by Vlaada Chvatil I've played this year. Get ready, people. Get ready.

The art alone makes me wish there was a way I could play it without having to go to Florida.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Looselybased posted:

He's overreacting.

Here's the relevant LoS rule:

A player must be able to trace an uninterrupted, straight line from any corner of that figure’s space to any corner of the target space. If the line passes through the edge of a map tile, a door, or a blocked space (a space containing a figure or obstacle), the target space is not in line of sight (see “Line of Sight Example” on page 12).
If the line passes along the edge of a blocked space (see “Line of Sight Example” on page 12), the target space is not in line of sight. However, if the line only touches the corner of a blocked space (without passing through the space itself ), the target space is in line of sight.

Basically, he thinks LoS should work tracing a line from the front left corner of the lady to the back right corner of the monster. He doesn't like the fact that the monster itself blocks LoS to its rear corner.

People are throwing bitchfits about LoS because while it's absolutely clear, it leads to what feels like unintuitive results.

Pierzak posted:

The issue is the intention behind the rules. If FFG is OK with screwing up something as basic as LOS at the very release, what else are they willing to gently caress up?

They didn't screw up the rules; you just don't like them. Descent 2E's LoS rules are clear and concise, and people are unhappy. Me am in Bizzaro world.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 14, 2012

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

mikeycp posted:

The art alone makes me wish there was a way I could play it without having to go to Florida.

Interestingly enough, the art has been largely thrown out since the board had to be redesigned. It's just a barren, prototype-y white cardboard right now, and yet....

...AND YET

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

St0rmD posted:

Interestingly enough, the art has been largely thrown out since the board had to be redesigned. It's just a barren, prototype-y white cardboard right now, and yet....

...AND YET

I guess I should've said that the game theme/concept that the art showed me looks delicious. Unless I guess it got stripped down to mechanics and is being re-themed?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Crackbone posted:

People are throwing bitchfits about LoS because while it's absolutely clear, it leads to what feels like unintuitive results.

Doesn't seem very unintuitive to me. The zombie has a ton of cover between him and the ranger lady. I think the idea that she could stretch her head and bow around to aim and shoot between a tiny gap in the two rocks is more gamist than the idea that she couldn't.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Unfit For Space posted:

Doesn't seem very unintuitive to me. The zombie has a ton of cover between him and the ranger lady. I think the idea that she could stretch her head and bow around to aim and shoot between a tiny gap in the two rocks is more gamist than the idea that she couldn't.

Yeah, but there are some very odd results you can get. In any event, I'd take crystal clear rules vs. the normal FF poo poo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bobby The Rookie posted:

As dumb as the anime cards are, if it isn't too late, pledge within the 24 hours and just sell off the promos. You would probably make a good chunk of your money back.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

As dumb as the anime cards are, if it isn't too late, pledge within the 24 hours and just sell off the promos. You would probably make a good chunk of your money back.
Really, you think for party game promo cards? I could see it for something more niche like Dominion, but it blows my mind that anyone who plays Resistance would want those cards. Do people just go nutso for exclusive Kickstarter poo poo, no matter what it is?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Really, you think for party game promo cards? I could see it for something more niche like Dominion, but it blows my mind that anyone who plays Resistance would want those cards. Do people just go nutso for exclusive Kickstarter poo poo, no matter what it is?

Board gamers in general have really bad completionist OCD.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Crackbone posted:

Board gamers in general have really bad completionist OCD.

I've spent hundreds on getting Descent first edition +all the expansions and promos and I haven't even played it yet :cry:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gilgamesh posted:

I've spent hundreds on getting Descent first edition +all the expansions and promos and I haven't even played it yet :cry:

You got 2nd edition and the conversion kit yet? :laugh:

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Crackbone posted:

You got 2nd edition and the conversion kit yet? :laugh:

Soon....

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Crackbone posted:

They didn't screw up the rules; you just don't like them. Descent 2E's LoS rules are clear and concise, and people are unhappy. Me am in Bizzaro world.

Crackbone posted:

Yeah, but there are some very odd results you can get. In any event, I'd take crystal clear rules vs. the normal FF poo poo.
Descent 1's LOS rules were concise. Trace a line from point A to point B, if it hits any square occupied by an obstacle [or figure], no LOS. End of rule. Descent 2: Trace a line from up to 3 origin points to up to 3 target points, obstacles as above. (Large monsters are another :cw: in both editions.) Oh, and if you cannot see the left and right side of the target than you can't see it, even if you can see the middle. What's the point of new rules then?

Maybe I'm overreacting, because I'm pissed off after buying Descent 2 for almost as much as Descent 1, having like half the stuff in the box and "wohooo new streamlinerd rules that solve 1's problems" except that they introduce new ones from the start.

Unfit For Space posted:

My problem is that the mechanics don't translate to what would happen. If we assume that there are gaps wide enough to look/fire through (since the wizard can), then there's no problem here. I don't have a problem with the cover, my problem is that this very example (and the devs' clarification) shows that you cannot hit a monster because it's blocking LOS to itself. No, you cannot shoot me because I'm in the way. Pretty counter-intuitive.

Anyway, I'll shut up about this so as not to make it a bitchfit ;) if you want to discuss/argue with my POV, feel welcome to PM me.

ed: Or maybe I don't have that much to worry about. I can always play the scenarios and if I still don't like it, sell the set for the price of new, given that I paint my minis to a decent tabletop standard and many players will want to buy painted.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Pierzak posted:

Descent 1's LOS rules were concise. What's the point of new rules then?
Dunno, but the new rules aren't hard either.

quote:

Maybe I'm overreacting, because I'm pissed off after buying Descent 2 for almost as much as Descent 1, having like half the stuff in the box and "wohooo new streamlinerd rules that solve 1's problems" except that they introduce new ones from the start.
Descent 2E's goals seemed to be to remove a ton of stuff that dragged down the game, to make it play faster and be more tactical. In that regard they (seem to have) succeeded, and I don't see how the new LoS constitutes a problem.

quote:

My problem is that the mechanics don't translate to what would happen.
All games abstract things. It's fine if you don't like the abstraction but it's not a problem in the sense that it breaks the game.

quote:

Anyway, I'll shut up about this so as not to make it a bitchfit ;) if you want to discuss/argue with my POV, feel welcome to PM me.
I wasn't referring to you in particular; lots of people seem to be unhappy with the new LoS rules. But it does strike me as silly that LoS not being realistic enough is enough for you to discard the game. It's FFG, there's probably plenty of other reasons to not like it.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 14, 2012

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I would say the only reason I've ever sold any FFG games is because they were gigantic unwieldy beasts that I didn't have the space to set up for anymore.

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again.

Pierzak posted:

My problem is that the mechanics don't translate to what would happen. If we assume that there are gaps wide enough to look/fire through (since the wizard can), then there's no problem here. I don't have a problem with the cover, my problem is that this very example (and the devs' clarification) shows that you cannot hit a monster because it's blocking LOS to itself. No, you cannot shoot me because I'm in the way. Pretty counter-intuitive.

I'm trying to come up with a situation in which you could draw line of sight to one of the corners the creature is blocking with it's own body, but not one of the other corners that it isn't. Edit: Pardon, there's one in the posted example, and I'm a moron - on the flipside, I don't see how frequently it's going to come up, and you can just houserule it to whatever makes sense.

Dark Cohomology
Nov 4, 2009

Crackbone posted:

All games abstract things. It's fine if you don't like the abstraction but it's not a problem in the sense that it breaks the game.

On that note, Dominion has a lot of abstraction that translate into silliness if you consider what you're "really" doing. It'd be a funny challenge run to play a Dominion game wherein you can only play card combinations that makes sense: no Remodeling a Remodel, no Native Village to store an Island, no Minting Potions, can't stop a Ghost/Pirate Ship with a Moat, no King's Courting a King's Court (though I like the idea of banning that anyway :argh:), etc.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dark Cohomology posted:

no Remodeling a Remodel
There's a story here. Do tell.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

The only FFG game I've kept (out of 5 or 6 I've purchased... yes, I'm a slow learner) is Cosmic Encounter (and it's not really an FFG game).

Anyways, the discussion above (if nothing else) has dropped my interest in trying Descent from "almost none" to "absolutely none".

Why do they hate players? Surely they could have done some reasonable rules and on-board graphical cues (or just some discipline in map-making) that would have avoided 99% of this discussion.

It's not just about limiting rule length and avoiding disagreements (though those things are good too), it's about clarity. There's no reason that people shouldn't be able to get a good feel for vulnerability from a glance at the board. Why allow these unclear situations to exist in the first place? The fact that they were writing any of these rules should have made them stop and say "I've made a terrible mistake, we need some redesign to avoid this question being asked at all".

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Speaking of FFG, after it's been sitting on my wishlist for 6 months, I finally got to play Rune Age this last weekend with a board game designer friend. He was happy I would play it (and ultimately enjoyed it) because none of his other designer friends liked it. I like that there are different scenarios to choose from that completely change the makeup of the game, from pure PvP to pure co-op to everything in between. He told me from the start, don't get attached to your units because they will be destroyed and taken out of your deck, and boy he was right.

He's going to GenCon this weekend and the new expansion is on his "must buy" list, so I look forward to trying it out with him when he gets back.

In case anyone is wondering, he's designed these games. One of his games was actually just featured on Dice Tower today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQlIJuGKta8

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

jmzero posted:

Why do they hate players? Surely they could have done some reasonable rules and on-board graphical cues (or just some discipline in map-making) that would have avoided 99% of this discussion.

It's not just about limiting rule length and avoiding disagreements (though those things are good too), it's about clarity. There's no reason that people shouldn't be able to get a good feel for vulnerability from a glance at the board. Why allow these unclear situations to exist in the first place? The fact that they were writing any of these rules should have made them stop and say "I've made a terrible mistake, we need some redesign to avoid this question being asked at all".

There's no disagreement though. It's people who don't like the results of the rule. The language of the LoS rules is not ambiguous - honestly FFG's previous games are the culprit. FFG is typically so bad at writing rules people just assumed they were missing info on the LoS rules when they really weren't.

Dark Cohomology
Nov 4, 2009

Pierzak posted:

There's a story here. Do tell.

Sorry, nothing exciting. Quite the opposite, in fact. My wife is slow to vary her strategy from game to game (she plays lots of big money), and one thing I've seen her do is buy remodel after remodel after remodel---or upgrade or whatever is on the table. She's all "Ha! I'm gonna get a province soon!" But before she does I buy my 5th one.

On the other hand her stupid Monument/Great Hall spam is way too drat effective for how stupid it is.

On another note, the thread was 50/50 split on Mage Knight and Descent 2e, so I just said gently caress it and bought both. The 2 together put me over Coolstuffinc's $100 free shipping line (though FedEx needs to hurry the hell up now). While waiting for them to arrive, I got myself too excited about Thunderstone Advance and its expansion that came out a week ago. What do you guys think about it?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

There's no disagreement though.

You don't think this specific thing will cause disagreements between players? Really?

I mean it's great that there's an official right answer, but it's still obviously a mess; it's going to piss off players and people will house rule it 100 different ways. And even if everyone agrees on how to play, it makes the game fiddly and unclear.

I think there's a weird sort of Stockholm syndrome thing going on here, and that you don't see how dumb and fiddly this rule is because it's right at home with 1000 other dumb, fiddly rules. It doesn't matter whether these rules are ambiguous or realistic or anything - it's ridiculous that they have to exist.

All these questions could have been precluded by some effort in design. Why is there rocks on the board that are kind of touching graphically in such a way that it's unclear whether you can shoot between them? That's moronic. There's no excuse - it's just piss poor design. I mean it's icing on the poo poo-cake that you can sometimes kind of shoot diagonally between them and sometimes you can't, but the problems start way earlier and go way deeper. This game was clearly designed by an idiot.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 14, 2012

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

jmzero posted:

You don't think this specific thing will cause disagreements between players? Really?

I mean it's great that there's an official right answer, but it's still obviously a mess; it's going to piss off players and people will house rule it 100 different ways. And even if everyone agrees on how to play, it makes the game fiddly and unclear.

I think there's a weird sort of Stockholm syndrome thing going on here, and that you don't see how dumb and fiddly this rule is because it's right at home with 1000 other dumb, fiddly rules. It doesn't matter whether these rules are ambiguous or realistic or anything - it's ridiculous that they have to exist.

All these questions could have been precluded by some effort in design. Why is there rocks on the board that are kind of touching graphically in such a way that it's unclear whether you can shoot between them? That's moronic. There's no excuse - it's just piss poor design. I mean it's icing on the poo poo-cake that you can sometimes kind of shoot diagonally between them and sometimes you can't, but the problems start way earlier and go way deeper. This game was clearly designed by an idiot.

People can disagree or be wrong about a lot of rules that are clear. I'm not a big fan of FFG's rulebooks, but the LoS rules aren't muddy, and I don't think it's fiddly either.

And I don't get your point about the graphic design, because it has nothing to do with the LoS rules. The pictures in the square have nothing to do with the the line you draw across them.

I'm guilty of :spergin: out sometimes, but I don't get the anger in this case. This is a very simple way to determine LoS that covers all circumstances. At worst you need a string or ruler if somebody wants to get fussy about if a line intersects an obstacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm pretty sure that the game uses the same exact rules that Dungeon Command, maybe Earth:Reborn and a lot of other games use.

1)Draw a line corner to corner that doesn't go through anything(such as a wall).
2)Units block LOS for their square.

Is this essentially the argument? What's the issue? Do people think that units shouldn't block line of sight if you're targeting the corner of a unit's square? Wouldn't that just be another rule to have to remember?

• Locked thread