Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!

qirex posted:

What he should have done is compared it to the price of other tablets in Sweden. A 32 gig iPad costs 5195 kronor or $755 there, compared to $599 here in the US.

That's still ~$250 less than what they're calling for in an RT Surface (which is probably bullshit anyway).

I can tell you for certain that there's no way I'd pay $1k for an RT version and no loving way I'd pay over $2k for the x86 version and I'm pretty set on buying one on launch day. Unless MS is completely out of touch with the market, I'd just write this off as bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

IcedPee posted:

That's still ~$250 less than what they're calling for in an RT Surface (which is probably bullshit anyway).

I can tell you for certain that there's no way I'd pay $1k for an RT version and no loving way I'd pay over $2k for the x86 version and I'm pretty set on buying one on launch day. Unless MS is completely out of touch with the market, I'd just write this off as bullshit.

Everyone else says it is BS and I believe them. Until I see the Pre-Order button in the MS Store I am patiently waiting for the True $#.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft ended up selling the Surface at an infuriatingly high price point -- remember, Ballmer is on the record as saying he doesn't expect to sell more than a few million of them total. (I've joined the camp that thinks the Surface is just here to show the OEMs how it's done without scaring them off.) That said, these figures are too high even for that. I'll believe it when I see it.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 26, 2012

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

from what i've heard that website is a legitimate retailer however those prices are not real. First, if you search that website also lists the Xbox 720 for a cool 6995 kroner...

Basically, that website puts up extremely high prices for pre-orders as a placeholder with the idea that it be easier to refund people who buy early that ask to to pay more if the real price is higher than their pre-order.

edit:

yup, thats the case: http://pocketnow.com/2012/07/26/microsoft-surface-pricing-retailer-explains-lofty-pre-order-figures/

CalvinandHobbes fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 26, 2012

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The Surface has me excited at owning MS stuff for the first time in years. Im sure the price will be nearly 1000 for the x86 version, and I am ok with that... BUT so far Windows 8 has no killer apps. Nothing, nada, zero. I don't consider Office killer although necessary.

MS leapfrogged Apple by at least a few years in development, that part is amazing, but I feel like MS forgot that apps make computers necessary and so far Windows 8 has nothing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

loquacius posted:

Ballmer is on the record as saying he doesn't expect to sell more than a few million of them total. (I've joined the camp that thinks the Surface is just here to show the OEMs how it's done without scaring them off.) That said, these figures are too high even for that. I'll believe it when I see it.

That sounds pretty crazy, can they even flip a profit if they sell that few?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Crazy, maybe, but truth is stranger than fiction!

No, they probably can't flip a profit like that, but I've come to believe that's not the point of the Surface. Microsoft has a very solid partnership with their OEMs (HP, Dell, Acer, etc etc etc) and if they suddenly turn that into a competitive relationship by introducing their own killer hardware, priced to move, they'll lose that whole support structure. However I don't know if you've noticed, but PC mobile hardware tends to -- what's the word -- suck. The theory is that Microsoft developed the Surface to put a little of the fear of God in their OEMs' hearts ("hey guys, guess what, it IS possible to do this right with our software") but isn't going to try to drive them out of business by dominating their market. Selling a few million of these things fits that strategy pretty well.

e: Also, maybe this way if Price Announcement Day rolls around and no OEM has anything up their sleeves that impresses Redmond enough, Microsoft is fully capable of turning right the gently caress around and saying "it's been nice working with you guys, but we're selling our supertablet at a loss for $50 :byewhore:". Food for thought.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 27, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sab669 posted:

More evidence that this is bullshit talk. If MS doesn't want the Surface to sell well, why did they impose so much restriction on the OEMs? The RT will be the only Windows tablet from Oct-Jan including the holiday period. You also get the Asus RT tablet which will be more expensive due to the $70 licensing fee.

Thats why I think the Surface RT tablet will be cheaper than the Asus RT tablet, I am guessing $450/550 for 8G/16G (with the keyboard bundle).

Nobody will buy it though. The casuals will buy the $399 iPad 2 and the hardcores will wait for the Surface Pro.

(If you want to know how I guess that price, here is how I guesstimate: I take the lowest 10" tablet price, which is $350 from Acer, as the baseline for manufacture and retail cost. I take the Kinect announce price as a baseline on how much MS willing to sacrifice profit for marketshare. As you can see from the Kinect price. MS is not willing to price itself too low. So I add 100 on the base cost. I bet MS want to price it even higher if not for the 399 iPad.)

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 27, 2012

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

redeyes posted:

I feel like MS forgot that apps make computers necessary and so far Windows 8 has nothing.
Considering one of the major points of Win 8/Win RT/WP8 is to easily port from one platform to another, do you really think that developers who are making apps for the desktop OS with 90% market share won't port them to RT and phone?

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Syrinxx posted:

Considering one of the major points of Win 8/Win RT/WP8 is to easily port from one platform to another, do you really think that developers who are making apps for the desktop OS with 90% market share won't port them to RT and phone?

There's not much portability between desktop and Metro, though. If you write Metro apps, those will work on RT and Pro, but nobody's written Metro apps yet; Win8 Metro starts from scratch.

Microsoft needs to get ISVs excited about writing Metro apps specifically or the whole thing falls apart.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

loquacius posted:

However I don't know if you've noticed, but PC mobile hardware tends to -- what's the word -- suck. The theory is that Microsoft developed the Surface to put a little of the fear of God in their OEMs' hearts ("hey guys, guess what, it IS possible to do this right with our software") but isn't going to try to drive them out of business by dominating their market. Selling a few million of these things fits that strategy pretty well.

That's an interesting idea, I suppose it is very possible. I generally don't pay attention to mobile PC tech- be it the Windows Phone or laptops or anything. Desktop PC hardware is the only thing I care about really.

It's unfortunate that's the way it is, though. I love the fact that I got my phone straight from Google, so I don't need to worry about Verizon or AT&T or whoever mucking up my platform :v:

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Base Emitter posted:

There's not much portability between desktop and Metro, though. If you write Metro apps, those will work on RT and Pro, but nobody's written Metro apps yet; Win8 Metro starts from scratch.

Not entirely, the support for JS/HTML5 goes a long way towards making web apps simple to port. I belive there was some MSDN blog where they said they made Cut The Rope into a metro app in an afternoon.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Release date confirmed for the 26th (for the RT version, Pro coming ~90 days later).

All we need now is the price point. I'm betting (off of nothing) $599 for RT, $999 for Pro.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I've been testing Windows 8 on the Samsung Slate tablets, with the Core i5/4GB/128GB SSD. If the Surface is as good as those while improving things like battery, port design and button placement it could be a proper contender for Enterprise.

Still not much a fan of Windows 8, but it does work well for touch usage, at least just for basic app browsing and usage.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

jojoinnit posted:

I've been testing Windows 8 on the Samsung Slate tablets, with the Core i5/4GB/128GB SSD. If the Surface is as good as those while improving things like battery, port design and button placement it could be a proper contender for Enterprise.

Still not much a fan of Windows 8, but it does work well for touch usage, at least just for basic app browsing and usage.

I actually really like it on those slates. When I use my Touchpad at home, I constantly try to close apps by swiping from the top. I used webOS for years, so gestures are my favorite thing ever. They feel very natural to me in Windows 8

W8 on the desktop is alright, but I think it's really neat on tablets.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/watch-out-surface-tablet-apple-patents-smart-cover-with-built-in-display-keyboard/

Well, Apple patented their "Smart cover". It pretty much means they just hit MS where it hurt as it looks like it's almost exactly like the Microsoft Surface cover.

Could we see an Apple vs Microsoft patent suit in the future due to this?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/watch-out-surface-tablet-apple-patents-smart-cover-with-built-in-display-keyboard/

Well, Apple patented their "Smart cover". It pretty much means they just hit MS where it hurt as it looks like it's almost exactly like the Microsoft Surface cover.

That was filed long before Microsoft showed off surface. It's their own drat fault if they didn't file for it.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

ThermoPhysical posted:

They have cross-license patent agreement after their last major court fight and I doubt either company wants to start that all over again.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wouldn't the fact that it includes a fully functioning keyboard mean that it's not at all infringing on the copyright?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

ThermoPhysical posted:

This is for a flexible display though. The keyboard cover is just that, a touch keyboard. The only thing similar is that they are thin, and can function as a keyboard. :psyduck:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
If requiring the best (debatable) office/outlook solution was enough to drive me to windows phone, it will be enough to drive people to surface or win8 tablets in general. For business users and many tech nerds that alone will be enough.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I don't believe this number for a minute, but if it's true, it would be a screaming deal:

quote:

We'll admit to being a little blown away when Microsoft launched the Surface -- it was an impressively polished tablet that we had heard barely a whisper of leading up to the mysterious launch event. But, there was one thing that we were still left wondering: how much would it cost? Now, with Acer getting all in a huff about competition and Microsoft conceding that some OEMs might be a little upset when this thing ships, we might just have an idea for you. According to an inside source, a session was held at Microsoft's recent TechReady15 conference in which all the launch details were laid out. If things go according to the plan detailed then, the Surface for Windows RT tablet will be launching October 26th -- no surprise there -- at a compelling price of $199.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/14/microsoft-surface-199/

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
If it happens at that price I'll poop on my ipad and post the video here. Microsoft will never release it at that price.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jewmanji posted:

Wouldn't the fact that it includes a fully functioning keyboard mean that it's not at all infringing on the copyright?

Haha like Apple gives a poo poo (example: Apple/Samsung)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Endgaget makes a post with a bullshit rumor and a "?" at the end to drum up some ad impressions. Shocking.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Zomodok posted:

What exactly does this mean?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I mean, I'm taking this article with about a metric ton of salt, but holy poo poo if the Surface RT costs that little I'll buy two.

Jerry SanDisky posted:

If it happens at that price I'll poop on my ipad and post the video here. Microsoft will never release it at that price.

What, no :toxx:? Money where your mouth is :colbert:

(please do not actually post a video of you pooping on anything)

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Jerry SanDisky posted:

Google managed to get Asus to do it with the Nexus 7. I'm sure Microsoft could do the same even if they have to sell it at a loss. While recuperating those losses through app sales may not be nearly as lucrative as through video game sales, that arrangement worked out well for the Xbox 360.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edward IV posted:

Google managed to get Asus to do it with the Nexus 7. I'm sure Microsoft could do the same even if they have to sell it at a loss. While recuperating those losses through app sales may not be nearly as lucrative as through video game sales, that arrangement worked out well for the Xbox 360.
The Nexus 7 was going to be $250 with a stylus before Google got involved with it. It's also 7" compared to a 10" Surface.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Edward IV posted:

I could see it being worthwhile to take a hit to get the marketshare numbers up, but I would imagine the hit on a $199 10 inch 32GB tablet with a 1366x768 display would be pretty painful.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

loquacius posted:

What, no :toxx:? Money where your mouth is

:toxx:

If Microsoft sells the surface for $200 (including keyboard cover) I will somehow deface/destroy an ipad and Thermopyle can permaban me.

It's endgadget link bait, it won't happen.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

I could see it being worthwhile to take a hit to get the marketshare numbers up, but I would imagine the hit on a $199 10 inch 32GB tablet with a 1366x768 display would be pretty painful.

It's not outside the realm of possibility -- remember that (1) MS is still sitting on planet-sized mountains of Office / Win7 cash and they appear convinced that the future of their business is dependent on convincing people to buy tablets running their OS, and (2) they have recently made forays into adapting the smartphone carrier-subsidy model for other devices. They started selling an Xbox 360 for $99 if you commit to XBox Live Gold for 2 years. I'm not sure exactly what pay service they could rope people into on the Surface (Zune Pass or something? Some sort of free-apps-for-subscribers deal? The Surface doesn't get LTE, right?) but I am not a marketing professional.

Jerry SanDisky posted:

If Microsoft sells the surface for $200 (including keyboard cover) I will somehow deface/destroy an ipad and Thermopyle can permaban me.

A bold move. :golfclap: I'm pretty sure you're safe, though, if for no other reason than the keyboard-cover clause. That thing'll probably be another :20bux: at least.

e: You'd have to think of a different way to do it than putting it in a blender; someone's already done that. :v:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 14, 2012

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
I'd also add the caveat that $200 is the standalone price, they might subsidize it with a forced subscription to Office 2013.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Zomodok posted:

Microsoft and Apple have had a cross-licensing agreement in place for over a decade. Don't let that rain on your conspiracy parade though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jerry SanDisky posted:

Jerry SanDisky posted:

I'd also add the caveat that $200 is the standalone price, they might subsidize it with a forced subscription to Office 2013.

Noted.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

MrBond posted:

Microsoft and Apple have had a cross-licensing agreement in place for over a decade. Don't let that rain on your conspiracy parade though.

Metro is very different from iOS; a lot of the sticks Apple is beating Samsung with won't apply to Microsoft, at least on the software side.

I'd be shocked if Microsoft sells the Surface hardware for zero or as a loss leader. Their biggest problem is the OEMs, but its not just a problem of OEMs doing a crap job, it's also that OEMs have a difficult time making money on PC hardware. This puts Microsoft in a tough spot. They can't succeed if priced above similar Apple/Android devices (I believe), so they and their OEMs really have to screw down their costs and compete, but at the same time, Microsoft can't force prices down so low the OEMs can't make any money. This is especially difficult if Microsoft takes steps to discourage crapware.

Microsoft making it up on Office doesn't help Toshiba or Acer or Samsung make money on tablets.

(I'm not gonna bet my account, though. I just got it. :v:)

edit: Ars Technica gets in on the act. http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/how-microsoft-could-make-a-199-surface-rt-a-reality-and-why-it-shouldnt/

Base Emitter fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 15, 2012

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Base Emitter posted:

Metro is very different from iOS; a lot of the sticks Apple is beating Samsung with won't apply to Microsoft, at least on the software side.

True. Microsoft isn't trying to ape iOS's homescreen like Samsung did with Touchwiz 1, which is a good thing in my eyes.

Still, as far as I can tell it means Microsoft can use things like overscroll bounce with impunity, but this time everyone is happy.

Count me in as part of the camp that doesn't think Surface RT at $199 is possible. If MS is actually going to go loss leader on that, I will happily buy that product just to play with it aimlessly.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

MrBond posted:

Count me in as part of the camp that doesn't think Surface RT at $199 is possible. If MS is actually going to go loss leader on that, I will happily buy that product just to play with it aimlessly.

Yeah, at < $200 it's a steal and there's no reason not to get one as a toy, but endgadget's "inside source" is probably inside their own butt.

I wouldn't be nearly as surprised by a $249.99 shipped with your choice of keyboard. That price puts it squarely in the budget market where it would just flat out murder the kindle/nexus, and be cheap enough that kids an electronics geeks could get it as their big holiday present along with a few microsoft store gift cards.

A marketing push with "experience ground breaking xbox 360 content on your surface" ( a handful of cross platform bejewled and angry birds clones that let you import your live avatar and get a cool moustache and a surface prop for achievements) and some exclusive video streaming would make a pretty compelling argument to parents that feel kinda bad about not getting their kid the newest hot apple electronics for the past few years because of the shitstorm of the economy. It's "just as good as the ipad machine" but ~$100 cheaper than the year old model.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Man, if the Surface RT really debuts at $199.99, with no subsidy or other contractual garbage... :swoon: Hell, even at $249.99 shipped with a touch cover keyboard... I'd still get one in a heartbeat.

[edit]

Thinking about it a bit more, the $199.99 price point kind of makes sense. I mean, it's not like Microsoft can't afford to take a hit on the hardware, and Windows 8 is radically different from any iteration that came before it. Releasing a hugely affordable Surface tablet to serve as the optimized/standard platform to introduce the new OS to would-be consumers seems like a decent strategy.

teagone fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The other point towards it being $199 (although I fully believe that is unlikely) is that the Nexus 7 goes for $199, and the Surface isn't that much different hardware wise. Same processor/SOC (Tegra 3). The screen is bigger and there is more RAM, but manufacturing at that size isn't a totally new process. I really want the Surface Pro, but if the RT Surface comes out in October for under $300, then I'll purchase it with out a thought.

• Locked thread