Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Whenever it goes silent I keep expecting a voice to pipe up with 'Heeeey Jude'.

Right Rio, it's your problem now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

netally posted:

Whenever it goes silent I keep expecting a voice to pipe up with 'Heeeey Jude'.

Right Rio, it's your problem now.

I think we're safe now from any Mac-attacks.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
How could you all watch that garbage? I turned off at Winston Churchill reciting that loving Tempest thing again. Turned back later, to make sure I wasn't being a grump, and it was Only Fools and Horses.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I'm quietley impressed we managed this whole business without loving it up. In this day and age, its nice that things work every now and again.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

TinTower posted:

London's perpetual meme-in-chief, Boris Johnson, strikes gold and does a funny. Borris 4 king!

Posted originally in the meme/macro thread in PYF.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

How could you all watch that garbage? I turned off at Winston Churchill reciting that loving Tempest thing again. Turned back later, to make sure I wasn't being a grump, and it was Only Fools and Horses.

A friend posted this on FB

quote:

This is the best tweet in history, translating the UK to the USA. Mic Wright
NBC Commentator: “That is not actually Batman but a British folk hero known as Del Boy. Sort of like Robin Hood…” #closingceremony

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.

Rondette posted:

I think we're safe now from any Mac-attacks.

its never too late for some Mac.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Oh God. It's so much worse than I ever imagined!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No it's Take That for us.

sans Robbie. I bet he's annoyed.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Take That loving own.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Glad I'm not getting a train through Stratford.Bugger me, they still ain't done.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Given what Gary Barlows been through this week that was a hell of a performance. With the lyrics to that song especially

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Taff posted:

Given what Gary Barlows been through this week that was a hell of a performance. With the lyrics to that song especially

Yeah I had forgotten about that, fair play to the guy.

And then, THE WHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yep yep.

edit- Is that the Edge on stage too??

Rondette fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 13, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So I missed the really embarassing stuff?

Dammit. What song did Madness Play?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

'Our House'

Where was William? Mrs.Windsor and his brother were there...?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rondette posted:

'Our House'

Where was William? Mrs.Windsor and his brother were there...?

Called it.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

SeanBeansShako posted:

Our House.

That was poor. I started off hating the opening ceremony but ended up getting really into it and by the end my cynical facade had dropped and I was properly psyched up for the games. I've enjoyed the events and really got into the spirit of things.

That closing ceremony killed my buzz.

At work I get regular banal e-mails from the HR department, encouraging me to join in the wacky fun of various corporate events. If the people who send those e-mails were given a budget and a stadium, I imagine they'd have produced something like that.

Before the games I had all kinds of horrible images about what the ceremony would be like. The opening ceremony proved me wrong. The closing ceremony brought the nightmare visions back.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
There were bits I really liked, but the bad bits were offensively so. Jessie J has a decent enough voice but her songs are obnoxious and with the covers she tried too hard to "own" them and do weird poo poo with them, and you don't do that when you are standing in for a legend.

Eric Idle dressed as the White Ranger was fun.

Kaiser Chiefs doing Pinball Wizard was odd given the Who were at the end, but that was fine I thought.

Was never a huge Oasis guy, but what was supposed to be wrong with the Beady Eye version of Wonderwall? Quite liked it.

I never swear in front of my parents. I told Russel Brand to gently caress off.

One Direction. What is there to say? It was like they wanted to make it explicit they were miming.

The theme is British music and there was no metal? No Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath or Motorhead? Come on now.

Liked the big band version of Park Life, but it was a bit disappointing that Blur weren't actually there.

Total bait-and-switch with Bowie, when instead we got supermodels, the sort of pointless people these games should have been making the general populace realize they don't actually need.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Liked the big band version of Park Life, but it was a bit disappointing that Blur weren't actually there.

Blur were actually playing in Hyde Park tonight.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Only caught the last 45 minutes of the ceremony (too busy watching Refused, hell yeah!), but that looked like everything I feared the Olympics would be.

The Queen bit looked good though I guess. I was wondering where May was for the opening. Although, and this happened in the games themselves, it really gets on my tits when people get Queen wrong. We Will Rock You goes STAMP-STAMP-CLAP, not CLAP-CLAP-NOTHING!

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Closing ceremony sucked, yeah. I bet that Paul McCartney and Brian May would be in the opening ceremony, was genuinely surprised only one of them showed up. And then, of course, closing ceremony, loving Brian May appears playing a solo as if everyone in Britain hasn't seen it 50 million times at every single televised event.

I thought the whole thing was pretty arrogant, to be honest. 2 hours of British music, with English lyrics, to a global audience. China and Argentina and Russian viewers do not get a poo poo about Annie Lennox and the Liam Gallagher. If the idea was for the world to be impressed by our glittering musical history I don't think it hit the mark. A lot of western Europe think Britain has had a lot of good bands, definitely, but this is supposed to be an international event.

Half the songs were from the last 5 years too. Imagine if Beijing had played 2 hours of chinese pop hits in their closing ceremony, no-one gives a poo poo about a different culture's commercial music.

Basically a Superbowl half-time show that went on six acts too long. Kept waiting for it to either end or get good and got pretty disappointed by the end.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Should have left it at Eric Idle. They had a fat lady singing and everything!

Testro
May 2, 2009

Hoops posted:

2 hours of British music, with English lyrics, to a global audience. China and Argentina and Russian viewers do not get a poo poo about Annie Lennox and the Liam Gallagher.
I get your point but have you seen the crowds Oasis drew (relatively recently, not 1997) in Argentina? Wonderwall is not a small fry song.

Still, they chose the wrong brother.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Easy way for Brazil to top it. Contact Sega, get Samba De Amigo as the mascot and base opening ceremony around it.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Blur were actually playing in Hyde Park tonight.

Where they played just enough of the opening ceremony to worry us that it was crap (the Only Fools and Horses bit was clear enough) and we might be stuck there listening to it for an hour, then came in when Park Life was meant to start. I have never been more relieved at a concert.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Giedroyc posted:

Easy way for Brazil to top it. Contact Sega, get Samba De Amigo as the mascot and base opening ceremony around it.

They could have Samba De Janeiro as the only song for the entire opening and closing ceremonies and it would be so much better than the cavalcade of terrible they had for London 2012.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Did anyone see this?

quote:

Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch has said that 'all the posh-bashing that goes on' made him consider leaving Britain to go to the US. He added that he was often 'castigated as a moaning, rich, public-school bastard'.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5h-hnKVIhFsXB1j3sn2b6osvVu6oA?docId=N0442421344866708530A

The guardian has a poll on it (LOL)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The poll results did make me smile. But yeah what a moaning posh bastard.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Series 3 of the Great British Bake Off starts in 5 minutes time.

Seem to recall this thread got a wee bit overexcited about it's delicious cakey-bakey shenanigans this time last year. (Mary Berry! Sue Perkins! Psycho Holly! A squirrel with the biggest nuts I've ever seen!)

Looking forward to this season. Hope BBC don't bugger it up like what they did to Masterchef.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I can see why he might be annoyed. He's not exactly posh from what I've read about him. He got a scholarship to a public school and doesn't have land or titles. He just seems to have posh mannerisms due to his scholarship opportunity.

It depends on your definition of posh. But he isn't aristocracy by any stretch of the imagination. It would piss me off if someone called me a posho too, when I'm no where near one.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Just started watching through The Thick of It based on my experience with In the Loop. loving fantastic show.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Check out the latest episode of Time Shift on the iPlayer, really interesting one about the History of the BBFC Censors.

Heads up though, nudity and cheesy violence with the related films.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Irisi posted:

Series 3 of the Great British Bake Off starts in 5 minutes time.

Seem to recall this thread got a wee bit overexcited about it's delicious cakey-bakey shenanigans this time last year. (Mary Berry! Sue Perkins! Psycho Holly! A squirrel with the biggest nuts I've ever seen!)

Looking forward to this season. Hope BBC don't bugger it up like what they did to Masterchef.

I've said this before, but I wish they bucked the trend of eliminations in reality shows. It's just too nasty for a show that otherwise tries to bottle a village fate. Halve the contestants, weed out the people who aren't great at baking, and put some more bread court in the space tears and hugs would go. It's especially bad this season as I worry that some set of freak accidents will mean Kathryn gets the boot and she kills the cast and crew.

Do you know which episode this is from?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've said this before, but I wish they bucked the trend of eliminations in reality shows. It's just too nasty for a show that otherwise tries to bottle a village fate. Halve the contestants, weed out the people who aren't great at baking, and put some more bread court in the space tears and hugs would go. It's especially bad this season as I worry that some set of freak accidents will mean Kathryn gets the boot and she kills the cast and crew.

Why can't we have a great Mechanic-off? 20 contestants battle eachother to see who can build/repair various vehicles and vehicle parts the best.

Each week the vehicles get more varied and interesting until a champion is crowned.

I'd rather watch and learn about building/repairing cars than some shite cake-off.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

scrapheap challenge basically?

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

Mr. Squishy posted:

Season 3 Episode 2. I also made a Tucker avatar if anyone wants it.

and this

Rubber Slug fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 14, 2012

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Xachariah posted:

I can see why he might be annoyed. He's not exactly posh from what I've read about him. He got a scholarship to a public school and doesn't have land or titles. He just seems to have posh mannerisms due to his scholarship opportunity.

It depends on your definition of posh. But he isn't aristocracy by any stretch of the imagination. It would piss me off if someone called me a posho too, when I'm no where near one.

Benedict Cumberbatch is loving awesome not just because of Sherlock, but also because him and two other people were kidnapped and almost killed but he talked his way out of it and the kidnappers let them all go.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Cerv posted:

scrapheap challenge basically?

Yeah, but less "fixed".

You don't really get the chance to learn the ins and outs of basic mechanical stuff on scrapheap because they're doing some pretty advanced poo poo with the junk they just "found lying around".

Seeing a bunch of people go to town on engines or whatever other parts of cars would need fixing would probably be of actual benefit to a lot of people.

edit: and a hell of a lot more interesting than how to bake a cake.

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 14, 2012

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Kin posted:

I'd rather watch and learn about building/repairing cars than some shite cake-off.

We could have both :). That'd keep both the mechanically minded and the cake-inclined happy! "Great British Bake Off" and then "Great British Make Stuff"!

I think the Bake-Off is a lovely programme as it is. I think the removal of 1 contestant per week gives it just a little hint of nastiness. If you removed that it might be too sugary and twee to be palatable.

This week was awfully jolly. That Blackbirds-Inna-Pie cake was just ridiculously good, and the old camp dude doing his little disco-shimmy for the education of Mel was hilarious. Hope he stays on for a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Kin posted:

Seeing a bunch of people go to town on engines or whatever other parts of cars would need fixing would probably be of actual benefit to a lot of people.

edit: and a hell of a lot more interesting than how to bake a cake.
Cakes are nice to eat though. I don't think I can say car engines do anything for me.