Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Isn't it part 18?

No, 3 is a spacer, 18 is a seal, 19 is the DS bearing

echomadman posted:

I think this is the part# you need but i cant find a picture to confirm it.
41241-471-004
http://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/honda/bush-rrwheel-41241-471-004/

this guy in australia has them listed, maybe email him and see if its the right part.
http://www.tiaromotorcyclewreckers.com/Nos%20Honda%20three.htm

That is extremely helpful! I searched using the term bushing and found these on eBay

Doesn't mention its for CB250 but it might work
Thanks much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

slidebite posted:

If you've got it snugged down that hard, you've got it on wrong.

Entirely possible. It's on the old man's GS and when he does something- let's say he does things like he means it.

NEW QUESTION:

important background info: I have a 1986 K75S That I adore, great machine- it had entirely too much plastic on it so I yanked most of it off. This created a ... problem with the instrument cluster/headlight. Evidently those wacky Germans designed the thing to be a unit and when you go removing all the tupperware off the front of the bike it removed all the structural rigidity from the instrument cluster. It bounces around so bad I can barely read the speedo and teh headlight? loving forget about the headlight it sucked when it wasn't changing point of aim by 20 feet at a time.

OK- No problem. I'm going the "what are you, some kind of idiot?" route to fix it and I'm yanking the stock headlight/instrument cluster out and replacing them with a instrument cluster from trailtech(it's a little bastard that mounts on top of the triple tree) and a universal headlight/turn signal setup.

The Question: You guys know of a good make for universal headlights?

I'm actually having a little trouble finding something I like. I love round headlights, and for the vintage the round would look like BMW styling, so either a single large round light or a pair of smaller round lights would be most appropriate in my mind's eye.

Any recommendations you might have would be greatly appreciated or any feedback you think might help me out.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I don't know where this question should go. It doesn't seem to deserve its own thread, but I apologize if this is the wrong place.

My wife and kids and I will be driving to a family reunion out in North Carolina next month. They're renting a cabin that happens to be about 40 miles east on "Moonshiner" 28 from Deals Gap.

Is it worth trailering my SV650 from Dallas to the Deals Gap area for a chance to spend time on 28 and the Tail of the Dragon?

I would most likely be on my own. The only other person going who rides has a Goldwing, and he may not bring it. When this trip happens I'll have been riding for 11 months, so I'm not very experienced, but after doing some research and watching GoPro videos of other people doing it on SV650's, I think I can handle it. I have no problems riding conservatively and I paid very close attention in the MSF. The bike is fine--I've refreshed everything, including both tires, though I'm not sure how the altitude will affect it.

I just don't know if it's going to be worth the hassle of dealing with the trailer and paying for the rental just for that--but it seems like an opportunity I should try not to miss.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
N/M already answered.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 13, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Alceste posted:

I just don't know if it's going to be worth the hassle of dealing with the trailer and paying for the rental just for that--but it seems like an opportunity I should try not to miss.

Have you looked into just renting a bike in the area? It'd probably be a Harley, of course.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Alceste posted:

I don't know where this question should go. It doesn't seem to deserve its own thread, but I apologize if this is the wrong place.

My wife and kids and I will be driving to a family reunion out in North Carolina next month. They're renting a cabin that happens to be about 40 miles east on "Moonshiner" 28 from Deals Gap.

Is it worth trailering my SV650 from Dallas to the Deals Gap area for a chance to spend time on 28 and the Tail of the Dragon?

I would most likely be on my own. The only other person going who rides has a Goldwing, and he may not bring it. When this trip happens I'll have been riding for 11 months, so I'm not very experienced, but after doing some research and watching GoPro videos of other people doing it on SV650's, I think I can handle it. I have no problems riding conservatively and I paid very close attention in the MSF. The bike is fine--I've refreshed everything, including both tires, though I'm not sure how the altitude will affect it.

My experience of that road is that it's even tighter in many places than it looks in pictures and the run off in most places is either a solid wall of earth or a sheer drop, in either case with 50% probability of trees before lunch. Plus Bro cars dropping fluids, the po-lice and squids loving up a corner and winding up in your lane.

There are other twisty roads in the nation that don't have as much of the above.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Alceste posted:

If you really want to ride deals gap and the surrounding roads consider a rental bike instead of renting a trailer and burning extra gas pulling it. http://www.sportbikes4hire.com/ is local and a good guy to deal with as are others in the area.

Be aware it is still tourist season and the road is full of idiots right now and will be until it starts cooling off. I live close and don't bother going up this time of year.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

NitroSpazzz posted:

If you really want to ride deals gap and the surrounding roads consider a rental bike instead of renting a trailer and burning extra gas pulling it. http://www.sportbikes4hire.com/ is local and a good guy to deal with as are others in the area.

Be aware it is still tourist season and the road is full of idiots right now and will be until it starts cooling off. I live close and don't bother going up this time of year.

Hey, that's cool, they've got a first gen SV650 just like mine. I had thought about renting, but my main concern was being on an unfamiliar road on an unfamiliar bike. I've only ever ridden two and neither are sportbikes.

It will be late September when we're actually there, which I think is just past peak season, but I'll keep reading the reports and researching. Maybe it isn't the big deal I always heard it was, or maybe it is but to a different crowd. It will be easier to just skip the whole thing if I don't actually have my bike with me.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I love this light - but I'm thinking non-DOT.

http://www.trailtech.net/8in_race_lights.html

thoughts?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I recently used 85w140 gear oil as chain lube. What's the trick to applying enough, but not having a shedload of fling?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Wipe it off with a rag to get rid of fling.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Use something that is designed to lubricate a chain.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

n8r posted:

Use something that is designed to lubricate a chain.

Like for example
You know what, never mind. Chain lubrication is a holy war here.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Like for example
You know what, never mind. Chain lubrication is a holy war here.

You haven't been keeping up with your threads. Everyone is now agreed that double-distilled, triple-refined marmoset oil is the ideal chain lubricant.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Saga posted:

You haven't been keeping up with your threads. Everyone is now agreed that double-distilled, triple-refined marmoset oil is the ideal chain lubricant.

Boiled mammoth trogontherii fat from Siberia is the only way to go. That or cheap semi-synthetic 10w40 from the local drugstore.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I use chain lube to lube my chain. Seems to work. Teflon spray.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don't lube my chain, but I drive a lot in oil spills hth

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don't lube my chain, but I drive a lot in oil spills hth

I liked your old name better, but you're still the best.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Ah poo poo, yea dude you had one of my favorite usernames. Always made me think of The Weather Channel website.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I liked your old name better, but you're still the best.
Good old wierd tip, wierd tip Tennessee.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It keeps getting changed in yospos. I was partial to OWT, but you take the good with the almost as good.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I was going to change my front brake pads, when I realized they didn't need changing (the notches were still deep, lots of pad left). Like a true scientist an idiot, while the pads were out of the caliper, I pumped the brake lever, just to see the pistons move. Cool! Now the pads won't fit back in (let alone getting the caliper back on the rotor), so to push the pistons back in and make room...ok, I'll open the brake fluid valve on the caliper, push the pistons back in while collecting the brake fluid in a clean container, and pour it back into the master cylinder. Now I have enough space to slide the pads back in, and get the caliper back on the rotor.

Victory!

Except now the wheel doesn't spin as freely. If I spin the front wheel, I get a revolution or two, but it's clear that the pads are tight on the rotor.

How do I fix this? There isn't any more brake fluid than there was before. In fact there's probably a teenie bit less. And if there was a load of air in the line, wouldn't that make the pads bite less? The lever doesn't feel spongy.

(2005 GS500)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You should probably do a proper bleed now. With fresh brake fluid. Don't pour old stuff back in.

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

by astral
I'm planning on having a local bike shop install my new exhaust (Muzzys 2-1 megaphone), intake (Barons big air kit) and PCIII. The problem is that they're not a Kawasaki dealer so they won't map the PCIII for me, I'm guessing some insurance or liability thing. How big of a pain in the rear end will this be? I've never messed with one before, but I asked him if I could just bring a laptop with me when I pickup the bike and try to do it myself.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You need an appointment with a dyno guy to set it up right.

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

by astral
So I guess my next question is, will it run well enough to drive without a perfect adjustment? I'll be visiting my parents who live 3 hours away from me, and I was planning on having a local shop do it while I visit. I also would have to make the 3 hour drive back to my place that night or the next day.

I could find an alternative if I had to. Maybe have the parts shipped to the same shop that does the dyno tuning where I live, then drive the bike over and leave it with them to setup. I think labor is several hundred dollars more expensive in Va Beach where I live, rather than the smallish city that my parents live in though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Tyorik posted:

So I guess my next question is, will it run well enough to drive without a perfect adjustment? I'll be visiting my parents who live 3 hours away from me, and I was planning on having a local shop do it while I visit. I also would have to make the 3 hour drive back to my place that night or the next day.

I could find an alternative if I had to. Maybe have the parts shipped to the same shop that does the dyno tuning where I live, then drive the bike over and leave it with them to setup. I think labor is several hundred dollars more expensive in Va Beach where I live, rather than the smallish city that my parents live in though.

When we set my wife's BMW up, she installed the Power Commander and hooked it up; I richened it 5% across the board and told her to ride it easy until she got it to the shop. If anything, err on rich but not rich enough to foul your plugs, and you should be OK to get there - a good tune will be a night and day difference though. Too lean can damage your engine.

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

by astral
Is it typically expensive to get a bike dyno'd? I'll call the shop near me tomorrow and check what their prices are, but it irrationally sounds expensive to me.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I just got my first motorcycle - a 2007 kawasaki vulcan 500. :iia:

Can anyone recommend a good resource for learning how to maintain/fix things on it? Is the Haynes guide good, or is there a better one? FYI I have a good mechanical intuition, and I've done loads of work on bicycles, but have never had a car nor fooled around in one. But I am determined to learn how to do basic/intermediate repairs on a motorcycle.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Tyorik posted:

Is it typically expensive to get a bike dyno'd? I'll call the shop near me tomorrow and check what their prices are, but it irrationally sounds expensive to me.

The guy by me charges like $175 for a tuning session. As far as motorcycle stuff goes, that's a bargain.

alnilam posted:

I just got my first motorcycle - a 2007 kawasaki vulcan 500. :iia:

Can anyone recommend a good resource for learning how to maintain/fix things on it? Is the Haynes guide good, or is there a better one? FYI I have a good mechanical intuition, and I've done loads of work on bicycles, but have never had a car nor fooled around in one. But I am determined to learn how to do basic/intermediate repairs on a motorcycle.

A factory manual is probably a good option. Also, check out the forum/community for your model, there's usually a lot of good model-specific info on the internet if you know where to look.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Can't you just load a predone map onto the PCIII?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Tyorik I forget what bike you said this was (f you did) but a model-specific forum will often have downloadable tunes for common customizations, and if in doubt any tune for a similar pipe will at least get you around. If you want to save money you can probably do some of the work yourself, the air kit should be really simple and the PCIII and exhaust aren't too bad depending on your skill level and how much of the bike needs to be dismantled to get to stuff.

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

by astral
I asked a guy on one of the model specific forums for the Kawasaki Mean Streak for his map, we'll see if he responds I guess. There isn't a map for the combo I have through powercommander.com though so this guy is kind of my only shot I think

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Tyorik posted:

I asked a guy on one of the model specific forums for the Kawasaki Mean Streak for his map, we'll see if he responds I guess. There isn't a map for the combo I have through powercommander.com though so this guy is kind of my only shot I think

Wait, so modern bikes can use an aftermarket unit to tune their mix, but you have to go to a shop and have a mechanic push the buttons on it?

I feel like a cave man doing plug chops and swapping carb jets.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Tamir Lenk posted:

Wait, so modern bikes can use an aftermarket unit to tune their mix, but you have to go to a shop and have a mechanic push the buttons on it?

I feel like a cave man doing plug chops and swapping carb jets.

You can push the buttons yourself but without exhaust gas analysis you are pretty much guessing.

There are a lot more places to adjust (and potentially mess up) the fueling. A dyno session with a good tuner is the fastest, easiest way to go but it costs money. You could also add a wideband O2 and datalogging setup to DIY reliably, which probably costs about as much as a tuning session, and it takes longer as you do your own log analysis and adjustments after riding around - where on the dyno you can induce any rpm/load condition on the machine and tune for it on the spot.

They also make simpler fuel computers that are more like a digital jet kit - where you have three knobs to adjust that are supposed to mimic jets. These are more DIY friendly. The drawback is they can only add fuel - if you end up with fat spots, you end up with fat spots.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 15, 2012

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

You can push the buttons yourself but without exhaust gas analysis you are pretty much guessing.

There are a lot more places to adjust (and potentially mess up) the fueling. A dyno session with a good tuner is the fastest, easiest way to go but it costs money. You could also add a wideband O2 and datalogging setup to DIY reliably, which probably costs about as much as a tuning session, and it takes longer as you do your own log analysis and adjustments after riding around - where on the dyno you can induce any rpm/load condition on the machine and tune for it on the spot.

This isn't always the case - for instance with the Microsquirt, you can actually just download an iOS logging and instrumentation app and plug it into the controller to log as you ride.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

They also make simpler fuel computers that are more like a digital jet kit - where you have three knobs to adjust that are supposed to mimic jets. These are more DIY friendly. The drawback is they can only add fuel - if you end up with fat spots, you end up with fat spots.

Can't you just read the plugs? Or are these adjustments to fine for that?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Backov posted:

This isn't always the case - for instance with the Microsquirt, you can actually just download an iOS logging and instrumentation app and plug it into the controller to log as you ride.

Yeah just download an app on a device you may or may not own. Cost of iOS device is more than a tuning session :) Also I don't believe a Power Commander has any native logging capabilities - it needs another gadget.

Tamir Lenk posted:

Can't you just read the plugs? Or are these adjustments to fine for that?

You can to an extent, but yeah the adjustments are pretty fine.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Tyorik posted:

Isn't your setup just a meanstreak with a full exhaust / intake? I'd wager any map that is for a full exhaust + k&n would get you very close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah just download an app on a device you may or may not own. Cost of iOS device is more than a tuning session :) Also I don't believe a Power Commander has any native logging capabilities - it needs another gadget.

Yes, I'm so sad I didn't put any qualifiers into my response. Well corrected, sir!