Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Is there any benefit, other than aesthetics, to be had by using a grill pan like below over a flat surfaced one for steaks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

geetee posted:

Is there any benefit, other than aesthetics, to be had by using a grill pan like below over a flat surfaced one for steaks?

I don't like mine for steaks anymore. You get so much more browny-goodness from a flat bottomed cast iron skillet. It's really only useful for stuff that will probably produce a lot of liquid (fat) and you don't want it to sit in that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

geetee posted:

It is pure evil for steaks. Don't even consider it - you need contact heat to get to browning temps on a range. It may look like a grill but it will not transmit any heat. It's ok for warming up like paninis and wraps and poo poo. I really only use mine for warming up corn tortillas.

The Tinfoil Price posted:

I've worked with Wusthof and Global knives as well, and the Victorinox is ALMOST as good for a tenth of the price.
I personally strongly prefer my Forschner (Victorinox) knife to my $100 Henckels one, which uses the same metal as Wusthofs. The Forschner is lighter and has a smaller profile which I basically always prefer. If you are a professional in a high-end restaurant or you are somebody who wants to appreciate their knife for basically geeky reasons (not an insult), you may want to consider other much more expensive chef knives than the Victorinox. If you are neither of these things the Victorinox will be great.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Thanks guys, I will stick with my tried and true smooth cast iron pan.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

geetee posted:

It sucks for cooking things and as a bonus is impossible to clean. Avoid at all costs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
gently caress yeah I tried a round one out with Korean BBQ, what a nightmare to clean.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you own one already give it to someone you hate.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It was a birthday present from someone whose feelings I don't want to hurt :colbert:

edit: I'd like to point out that my Lodge round grill pan is even worse than that square one, because the grill lines are thin edges instead of flat lines, resulting in even less surface contact with the food.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 9, 2012

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Chemmy posted:

It sucks for cooking things and as a bonus is impossible to clean. Avoid at all costs.

It's actually surprisingly good for cooking sausages, although that's about it. The grill lines make for uneven heat conduction, and a simple cast iron is much better for cooking your steak evenly to a perfect medium rare.

If you want to grill on your stove, I recommend getting a rangetop with an infrared grill burner. Those are pretty good, and pretty easy to clean too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Exciting news in the world of blenders!

Cooks Illustrated's previous favorite blender, the Kitchen-Aid has been dethroned! Apparently they found that it had a durability issue and the thing just up and died. They did a new test and put extra emphasis on durability. Their findings:

Vitamix is the best.

New Challenger, the Breville, is remarkably almost as awesome as the Vitamix for $200

Both of the above use Tritan carafes, which is much stronger than the polycarbonate in the Kitchen-Aid

Third place goes to the Ninja blender, which a few people here recommended. $100

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Steve Yun posted:

Exciting news in the world of blenders!

Cooks Illustrated's previous favorite blender, the Kitchen-Aid has been dethroned! Apparently they found that it had a durability issue and the thing just up and died. They did a new test and put extra emphasis on durability. Their findings:

Vitamix is the best.

New Challenger, the Breville, is remarkably almost as awesome as the Vitamix for $200

Both of the above use Tritan carafes, which is much stronger than the polycarbonate in the Kitchen-Aid

Third place goes to the Ninja blender, which a few people here recommended. $100

Could you post the model #s of those 3 blenders, need to get one soonish.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Fatal posted:

The Wire Cutter has a rather long rundown of it all including discussion with the CI people and some others: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-blender/

It says that the Breville is quite good but there are a number of compromises if you go with that over the Vitamix: lower capacity, feels flimsier, doesn't perform quite as well, 1 yr warranty vs 7 year warranty on the Vitamix.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Fatal posted:

Vitamix 5200. Breville Hemisphere Control. Ninja Professional Blender.

Oae Ui's link says that the Vitamix Pro 300 is even better than the 5200. Although as far as I can tell, any Vitamix is going to be pretty amazing.

Both the Vitamix 5200 and the new Breville have overheat protection, so that they automatically shut off if they're straining and wait till the motor cools down before resuming. Sounds like a very useful feature for longevity.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 9, 2012

sleep_is_awesome
Jan 3, 2008
no really it is
On the subject of Pepper-mills; THANK YOU.
At some point in the last 5 years, I discovered/realized that fresh-cracked pepper is awesome compared to your ground-shaker pepper.
But, I bought about 3 different mills in the $10 range, from the grocery store. This resulted in owning three broken pepper-mills within a span of 5 months.

Anyways, here's my tip for filling your pepper-grinding need while you seek out your ultimate pepper-mill:

These spice mills can be twisted open and replaced with your loose peppercorns of choice.
After hating myself for spending $30-50 total on all those crap mills, I bought some random one of these at some SUPERSALE($1.99)! price, to see if it could come apart to use as my new mill.

The funny thing is, it's worked so well and for so long (a year so far) that, I haven't bothered to shop around for an *actual* peppermill.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

sleep_is_awesome posted:

The funny thing is, it's worked so well and for so long (a year so far) that, I haven't bothered to shop around for an *actual* peppermill.

I've been using one of these for years. Super easy to open and it hasn't had any reliability issues for me, though you trade the problem of leaving pepper crumbs wherever you set it to having the top being open for dust.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

sleep_is_awesome posted:

Anyways, here's my tip for filling your pepper-grinding need while you seek out your ultimate pepper-mill:

These spice mills can be twisted open and replaced with your loose peppercorns of choice.
After hating myself for spending $30-50 total on all those crap mills, I bought some random one of these at some SUPERSALE($1.99)! price, to see if it could come apart to use as my new mill.

Actually you don't even need to wait for a sale, cheapo grinders like those are available year round for $2 at Trader Joe's. It's kind of embarrassing that it can grind pink peppercorns just fine while my $20 grinders get gummed up.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 9, 2012

sleep_is_awesome
Jan 3, 2008
no really it is
Agreed. As for Comic's suggestion, that's about the price range of the mills I bought. I'm guessing my handling had something to do with it with them breaking, perhaps turning the top screw too tight when putting the top back on.

This means I'll be asking for handling, cleaning and general care or certain items that might not be a no-brainer when I'm done reading through the 50 pages.

Thanks again!

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I use those things for specialty stuff, but for black pepper, no one is taking away my Peugeot Madras thankyouverymuch. I use it every day and it's the perfect pepper mill - and sexy, too

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Guitarchitect posted:

I use those things for specialty stuff, but for black pepper, no one is taking away my Peugeot Madras thankyouverymuch. I use it every day and it's the perfect pepper mill - and sexy, too

Pepper mills with Peugeot grinding mechanisms is really the way to go. The one I have isabout ten years old now and still as good as new. Easily worth the extra expense just out of longevety alone.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unicorn Magnum Plus all the way for me. Puts out more pepper in one twist than anything else I've used.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...
I was using one of the cheapo spice grinders from Aldi, and hadn't realized that the plastic had cracked on it at some point. When I was twisting it, I somehow loosed the splintered plastic and it cut my hand and then tried to fall into my food. :argh: So just a warning. Cheap, yes. But also easily falls apart. Gonna check out some of the above recommendations for a better solution. :)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Unicorn Magnum Plus all the way for me. Puts out more pepper in one twist than anything else I've used.

Some one I use, it's awesome. Not to mention how easy it is to refill compared with the old grinder I used to have.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chemmy posted:

If you own one already give it to someone you hate.

In my case that was the salvation army

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express
I've been making jello shots en masse out of baking pans for parties and whatnot since I can't be bothered to babysit 500 little plastic cups in a fridge. I recently started catering for private events, but cutting them with a knife into little squares makes it really difficult to get clean, cubic block.

Sorry for the crappy focus.

I remember seeing somewhere bakers using wire to cut dough. Or maybe it was sculptors cutting clay. Has anyone worked with piano wire as a food cutting tool, and if so, where's a good place to start?

The Tinfoil Price fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 9, 2012

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

If you're just doing squares, think about just using a cheese cutter.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

The Tinfoil Price posted:

I've been making jello shots en masse out of baking pans for parties and whatnot since I can't be bothered to babysit 500 little plastic cups in a fridge. I recently started catering for private events, but cutting them with a knife into little squares makes it really difficult to get clean, cubic block.

Sorry for the crappy focus.

I remember seeing somewhere bakers using wire to cut dough. Or maybe it was sculptors cutting clay. Has anyone worked with piano wire as a food cutting tool, and if so, where's a good place to start?

If you're only going to be cutting soft stuff like Jell-O then I doubt piano wire is necessary. You could probably get by with some 10-20 lb test fishing line(which you can find for like $2-3). That's what we always used to cut through clay and that is a lot tougher than Jell-O

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

DoctaFun posted:

If you're only going to be cutting soft stuff like Jell-O then I doubt piano wire is necessary. You could probably get by with some 10-20 lb test fishing line(which you can find for like $2-3). That's what we always used to cut through clay and that is a lot tougher than Jell-O

Not a bad idea. I've got an hold hacksaw frame lying around somewhere that I could probably use to ensure straight lines. Ghettoest knife since sharp rocks.

Edit: just popped these out. Rosewater Strawberry. Good call on the fishing line.

The Tinfoil Price fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 9, 2012

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I'm looking at maybe get a set of cheese knives as a gift for someone. It will be one part of the gift so I'm not trying to spend a ton of money. I remember seeing some awesome looking knives for not much, but can't find much now.

Any recommendations for a nice set?

Gonna be going with this cutting board that looks like Texas. http://www.etsy.com/listing/62700363/aheirlooms-texas-state-cutting-board

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Jewce posted:

I'm looking at maybe get a set of cheese knives as a gift for someone. It will be one part of the gift so I'm not trying to spend a ton of money. I remember seeing some awesome looking knives for not much, but can't find much now.

Any recommendations for a nice set?

Gonna be going with this cutting board that looks like Texas. http://www.etsy.com/listing/62700363/aheirlooms-texas-state-cutting-board

I got this set on sale the other day. They're awesome, and at the time of this posting they're still on sale on amazon. The blades aren't as sharp as Wusthofs straight out of the box, but if you have a good hone/grindstone you'll be fine. The picture does not do them justice, these are BEAUUUUUTiful cheese knives.

http://www.amazon.com/Zwilling-J-A-Henckels-39400-003-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00368BKU2/ref=sr_1_16?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1344833663&sr=1-16

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone know where I can get those aluminum stacking steamers like they have at most Chinese restaurants?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rob a Chinese restaurant?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone know where I can get those aluminum stacking steamers like they have at most Chinese restaurants?

Like this? Maybe you can find them at an AceMart or RestaurantDepot.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Steve Yun posted:

They sell them in at least one of the Asian markets in my town. Do you have a Chinatown?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I think I might have found the most practical ice cream maker for me. I bought the Hamilton Beach Half Pint ice cream maker, which is cheaper and smaller than most machines and happens to run on AA batteries. It sounds like a cheap and crappy gimmick, and the ice cream isn't quite as good as the stuff made in my Cuisinart 2 quart model, but this one is faster and works with much less ingredients, which is good as cream and flavorings are not cheap. And leftover homemade ice cream generally sucks after a few days.

I find I actually am using this while the big machine sits in the basement. It's much more convenient and friendly to experimentation. Sweetened kefir is a good quick base for a frozen yogurt like treat.

Basic ice cream rules apply, like use cold ingredients, make sure the base has enough cream and sugar to chill smoothly, freeze the bowl completely, etc, which is probably why Amazon had mixed reviews, as homemade ice cream is not foolproof.

The ice cream is about a Wendy's frosty consistency prepared per the manual, but freezing it without the paddle in the freezer for a few minutes afterwards thickens it up.

Edit: removed a perplexing phone posting auto correct.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 15, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TVarmy posted:

Basic ice cream rules apply, like use cold ingredients, make sure the base has enough gay and sugar to chill smoothly,

When it comes to ice cream, how much gay is too much?

Edit:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I got mine when my brother-in-law's parents passed away and we were foraging through their house.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Rob a Chinese restaurant?

GrAviTy84 posted:

I got mine when my brother-in-law's parents passed away and we were foraging through their house.
Alright, either I knock over Mama Lu's this weekend or marry a Chinese girl

Indentured Servant
Aug 31, 2008
I'm looking for a set of stackable measuring cups and spoons. I bought a plastic OXO set a few months ago. They work great - except most of the labels have flaked off.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dry or wet measuring cups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indentured Servant
Aug 31, 2008
Dry. :)

• Locked thread