Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ariong posted:

Has there been a post about The F Plus yet? Because if not, I might write something up.

I think it's been tossed around here and in a few PYF threads with overlap but no one's really done a big writeup. You totally should, it's an awesome podcast more people need to get in on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I started listening to The F Plus when it was part of the Earwolf Challenge. God, that's a good show.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

One of the guys from The F Plus is a goon and the other guys on it are nice. I did a couple of guest readings on it last year and was their guest during the Earwolf challenge. The guy who runs it contacted me since we kind of do a similar thing. I really loved their reading of Wesley Crusher: Teenage Sex Machine.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

King Lou posted:

One of the guys from The F Plus is a goon and the other guys on it are nice. I did a couple of guest readings on it last year and was their guest during the Earwolf challenge. The guy who runs it contacted me since we kind of do a similar thing. I really loved their reading of Wesley Crusher: Teenage Sex Machine.

That was fantastic, hopefully they'll do more stuff like that. Out of curiosity, who's the goon? I'm gonna guess either John, Portaxx or Isfahan.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 15, 2012

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Speaking of Adomian: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/arts/gay-male-comics-await-the-spotlight.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2

(relevantly to that article, Simon Amstell and Gabe Liedman both had really funny interviews on HWYW recently)

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
So does anyone here listen to Megaboom?

Bunnybread
Feb 16, 2012

Calaveron posted:

That was fantastic, hopefully they'll do more stuff like that. Out of curiosity, who's the goon? I'm gonna guess either John, Portaxx or Isfahan.

Well I was recently given this account as a gift (as you can tell by the post count).
There might be some other readers that dabble in these forums but I'm pretty sure that Isfahan is the veteran goon.

It's good to hear the love about the show. I can also answer questions for a big write up if anyone needs it.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Bunnybread posted:

I can also answer questions for a big write up if anyone needs it.
Is there a topic you covered in the podcasts that make you genuinely angry?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Hsien-Ko posted:

Has anyone bought James Adomian's comedy album? It's on Earwolf for $10 and I'm thinking of buying it

It's good. His material on being gay and how gay people are portrayed in American culture is great, but his other stuff isn't as good. It's a bit uneven but it's still definitely worth buying.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bunnybread posted:

Well I was recently given this account as a gift (as you can tell by the post count).
There might be some other readers that dabble in these forums but I'm pretty sure that Isfahan is the veteran goon.

It's good to hear the love about the show. I can also answer questions for a big write up if anyone needs it.

Is there anything 'off limits' that you think is just too depressing/terrible, or is it basically a Thunderdome of poo poo?

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

Bunnybread posted:

I can also answer questions for a big write up if anyone needs it.

Do a lot of the forums y'all do episodes on end up discovering their episode afterwards? If so, what kind of reactions do you tend get?

Bunnybread
Feb 16, 2012

toanoradian posted:

Is there a topic you covered in the podcasts that make you genuinely angry?

Well, I think everyone has been disturbed by one thing or another during the recordings. All the readers have their respective pressure points that just drive them nuts. I just can't remember anything that set ME off, personally.

Jack Chick will become aggravated whenever ignorant heavy metal commentary comes up. He's a bit of a connoisseur. (I personally just like dumb slutty club music and the dumb club sluts that it attracts)

Portaxx was rather upset during our rundown of the Pokegirls. She loves cutesy cartoon animals and, somehow, having those same endearing cutesy things reduced to fuckability stats was a little much for her. (All I know about Pokemon is that I was supposed to 'pick the yellow lightning pig' whenever we played Smash Brothers in college)

Isfahan is driven a little nuts every time any tactical military realism type of poo poo is mentioned. God help you if you use 'clips' and 'magazines' interchangeably around my man. (I don't really care about guns that much, because guns don't have tits)

So there's never been anything that really pissed me off during a reading. But I'm guessing that, if we ever do an episode where Skip Bayless is heavily featured, that might just do the trick.

However, I can remember when I was just a little bit too disgusted to even listen to one of the episodes. I only got through about 15-20 minutes of the Sissykiss episode despite the fact that I recorded it with no real problems. Granted, I was up to my liver in beer by the time we were done with the recording so that might have had something to do with it.

Still though, congratulations if you made it through the Sissykiss stuff. My hat is off to ya.

Bunnybread
Feb 16, 2012

Glitterbomber posted:

Is there anything 'off limits' that you think is just too depressing/terrible, or is it basically a Thunderdome of poo poo?
I've personally never looked at anything and immediately thought "naw, that's just too hosed up for the podcast". I was hesitant to go looking for some espn.com material about Sandusky but it turned out to be far more sensible/boring than I feared. However, I'm not really one of the main goldminers for the site. I'm sure that Boots or Jack Chick or Portaxx has seen the true face of the soulless internet. They're the ones wading DEEP into the swamp while I'm just hanging around on an airboat with a beer in hand, yelling at em to "bring back something funny!"

We did actually try to work through a personal account of one gal's horrible life and her journey to Christ or some poo poo. It was just heaps of monstrous details on how she had been abused and lost money and been hit by cars and birds had poo poo on her head and so on and so forth. It was just so endless that I thought we were reading some updated version of the Book of Job. If I recall correctly, three different readers tried to speed read through it and every last one of us eventually said gently caress IT.

So yeah, Thunderdome, for the most part. Two readers enter! One reader... is eventually reduced to tears and gagging!

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Hey I was wondering, do you like to drink beer? Also, what is your opinion of women, yay or nay?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Bunnybread posted:

Still though, congratulations if you made it through the Sissykiss stuff. My hat is off to ya.

It is a disgusting episode. Which also makes it hilarious.

If I'm allowed to ask more questions, do you know how Boots, Jack Chick, Portaxx or anyone find all this ridiculous stuff to read with enthusiasm? What prompts them to, for example, find a website written by a German who likes to wrap Ray Orbison in cling film? I can't even imagine the google searches leading to that. Do you guys have contacts in the Weird Side of the InternetTM or something?

Bunnybread
Feb 16, 2012

The 47 Reagans posted:

Do a lot of the forums y'all do episodes on end up discovering their episode afterwards? If so, what kind of reactions do you tend get?

I can think of four different times when our subject matter came back to say hello.

There was our main PUA maestro, Roosh V. He seemed to be thrilled that we were mentioning him as I'm sure that raised his internet bangability score in some way.

I believe that the Child-free Hardcore folks smelled something in the air and barged on in to TOTALLY loving TEAR THOSE BREEDING SHITFUCKS APART. But the overall reaction to their posts was just pure glee so the invasion didn't last long. It was sad, really.

Then we're back to happy and appreciative times with a guy thrilled about our rendition of his animation screed. He thought India was not worthy of the godlike and transcendent nature of animal cartoons. It appeared that they had the temerity to go see an animated movie about dogs. He felt this rendered them unfit, as a society, to have any more cartoons. After all, he alone, was the arbiter of cartoon worthiness. Guy only posted once and seemed to get a nice kick out of it, though.

And then we have the Malatora guy. He's ... I have no idea what he was hoping to accomplish. He just posted for a long time, perhaps with the intent to convince us that their grand cytran plan would really work. And certainly, after the second page of unanswered posting, I was sure convinced that the Malatorans weren't goddamn nuts. Mission accomplished on that one.

Bunnybread
Feb 16, 2012

Greggy posted:

Hey I was wondering, do you like to drink beer? Also, what is your opinion of women, yay or nay?

Good Lord! Isn't that a bit personal to be asking about?!

How rude!

Bunnybread
Feb 16, 2012

toanoradian posted:

If I'm allowed to ask more questions, do you know how Boots, Jack Chick, Portaxx or anyone find all this ridiculous stuff to read with enthusiasm? What prompts them to, for example, find a website written by a German who likes to wrap Ray Orbison in cling film? I can't even imagine the google searches leading to that. Do you guys have contacts in the Weird Side of the InternetTM or something?

Honestly, I am clueless on how they find most of their stuff. I don't know how much they found while doing an honest-to-god internet search versus accidental discoveries. They might have been going about their merry way just chilling on deathmetalpokemonA&M.edu and accidentally tripped over an ad for Dragon Dildos.

I really have no idea but I can certainly tell you that I do NOT have the same internet magic. I've made a point to try and find some weird poo poo for episodes and it just doesn't work. I could put "Cactus Vulva Santorum" into google and somehow just end up with a CNN article about agriculture subsidies.

I barely even have a passing familiarity with the subject matter during these recordings. I mean, I prefer walking into the readings unaware because it makes it even funnier for me, but it is a rare moment when I understand one of the footnotes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Bunnybread, what's your favorite episode regardless if you recorded for it?

Bunnybread
Feb 16, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Bunnybread, what's your favorite episode regardless if you recorded for it?

Well, I've still only heard about half of it but The Devil Went Down To Tumbler has everything that I could ever want. I love me some bullshit and there really isn't one authentic thing in that whole drat episode. We got fake demons, fake sexual assault, fake PTSD, fake gender identity poo poo, fake multiple personalities, fake recovered memories and, of course, fake HARDCORE BATTLE WEDDINGS. The guy is just trying so drat hard to be hosed up that it's wonderful.

Plus you get to hear Acier's throaty maniacal supervillian laugh.

The most fun I ever had recording was probably the food network show. Not only was I familiar with the subject matter for once (I've actually eaten food before) but it was nice to bust out my previously undiscovered Paula Deen impression. It flowed much easier than I expected.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Not to be a dick, but if you're going to be talking about the show this much, why not make a thread for it?

Bunnybread
Feb 16, 2012

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Not to be a dick, but if you're going to be talking about the show this much, why not make a thread for it?

Well, that was the original intent since Ariong said they were going to do a write up and so I said "I can also answer questions for a big write up if anyone needs it" in my first post.
Then some folks asked some questions and I answered them. Wasn't trying to turn this into "Inside the Podcasters Studio" or anything.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

FitFortDanga posted:

ElCondemn posted:

His show is pretty bad (The Longshot)
The dynamic can be hard to take sometimes, but I wouldn't call it "pretty bad". I generally enjoy listening to it.

Okay, well, I take that back. I finally gave up on Long Shot. Finding out what Sean Conroy looks like didn't help. I hate the mental image of all that smug, sarcastic condescension coming out of his goony face.

I'll just have to be satisfied with Pepitone's appearances on Dana Gould Hour and the occasional WTF live show.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Okay, well, I take that back. I finally gave up on Long Shot. Finding out what Sean Conroy looks like didn't help. I hate the mental image of all that smug, sarcastic condescension coming out of his goony face.

I'll just have to be satisfied with Pepitone's appearances on Dana Gould Hour and the occasional WTF live show.

It sucks that their show isn't better, I like Eddie and even Sean sometimes (he's pretty good on improv4humans). Their show is just kind of directionless and they haven't hit a stride even though they've been doing it a long time.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

I don't usually listen to it but the egg talk to diner bit in Improv4Humans this week is the funniest thing I've heard on a podcast in months. Probably in part struck a nerve with my own obsessive cooking habits but listening to that conversation escalate was great. Adam Pally (Weed Dealer on the Andy Samberg CBB episodes) is an excellent wrench thrower.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

ElCondemn posted:

It sucks that their show isn't better, I like Eddie and even Sean sometimes (he's pretty good on improv4humans). Their show is just kind of directionless and they haven't hit a stride even though they've been doing it a long time.

I enjoy Eddie & Sean's chemistry and Amber is pretty funny but Jamie is just a big ole suckhole dragging that show down

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I enjoy Eddie & Sean's chemistry and Amber is pretty funny but Jamie is just a big ole suckhole dragging that show down

Eddie and Sean are definitely the best part of the show. Amber is fine but you're right Jaime kind of just stops the shows momentum. Not that I don't like all of them, just performance-wise I don't think it works as a podcast.

Bucket-O-Nothing posted:

I don't usually listen to it but the egg talk to diner bit in Improv4Humans this week is the funniest thing I've heard on a podcast in months. Probably in part struck a nerve with my own obsessive cooking habits but listening to that conversation escalate was great. Adam Pally (Weed Dealer on the Andy Samberg CBB episodes) is an excellent wrench thrower.

Improv4Humans is definitely hit or miss but each episode has gems. I had to look up what over hard was because I wasn't sure of what was what anymore.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 17, 2012

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

ElCondemn posted:

Eddie and Sean are definitely the best part of the show. Amber is fine but you're right Jaime kind of just stops the shows momentum. Not that I don't like all of them, just performance-wise I don't think it works as a podcast.

I'd honestly enjoy the show more if they took more time to dump on Jamie for being terrible. gently caress whoever in their audience called Sean a bully. Jamie is annoying and should be made fun of constantly.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Bucket-O-Nothing posted:

I Adam Pally (Weed Dealer on the Andy Samberg CBB episodes) is an excellent wrench thrower.

Having seen him improvise a couple times I can concur with this. He's hilarious at intentional misunderstanding.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Whoa that improv4humans was hilarious. Almost choked from laughing at the over-hard part. I hadn't heard of that egg style before.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kevin Smith is on this week's How Did This Get Made which is covering Wild Wild West. I assume we'll be hearing about that giant mechanical spider that Jon Peters wanted from Kevin in his Superman script.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Kevin Smith is on this week's How Did This Get Made which is covering Wild Wild West. I assume we'll be hearing about that giant mechanical spider that Jon Peters wanted from Kevin in his Superman script.

Just heard that story a few minutes ago on it so you are correct.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Anyone else check out The Fogelnest Files? I liked it - not wildly funny, but wasn't really trying to be. Having two great guests obviously helped, will be interested to check out next month's.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Even though he is a horrible dick, I do like to hear Kevin Smith talk about movies. Im excited!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I've seen a lot of insults lobbed at Kevin Smith in the past 15 or so years, but "horrible dick" has never been one of them. What makes him a dick? Even people who hate his movies or sense of humor or morality - such as the God Hates Fags crew - regard him as generally polite with a pleasant demeanor

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

I've seen a lot of insults lobbed at Kevin Smith in the past 15 or so years, but "horrible dick" has never been one of them. What makes him a dick? Even people who hate his movies or sense of humor or morality - such as the God Hates Fags crew - regard him as generally polite with a pleasant demeanor

Horrible dick is a touch much, the one I agree with most is 'up his own rear end'. He's perfectly cool to talk with (and for real, he loves movies, even if you hate him he's a treat to listen to talk movies, go download that How Did This Get Made) but he's just kinda gotten into this 'my group vs the world' thing due to the roots of his career and all. He likes to gently caress with critics so naturally that gets him bad press, and he tends to default to 'well you don't get it' when people mention problems in his films, but yea aside from that the dude's pretty pleasant.

Again though, even if you hate the dude, guy loving loves movies, him on a movie podcast is gonna be awesome to listen to.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Bunnybread posted:

Well, that was the original intent since Ariong said they were going to do a write up and so I said "I can also answer questions for a big write up if anyone needs it" in my first post.
Then some folks asked some questions and I answered them. Wasn't trying to turn this into "Inside the Podcasters Studio" or anything.

Sup Bunnybread.

I don't know if there would be enough interest to warrant its own thread, but a few of us (oh right this is Isfahan by the way) like me and Stog and Portaxx watch the comments section of The F Plus's website pretty closely, so any questions that get asked there would probably get answered.

And yeah, I'm a gun sperg. I lurk in TFR a lot, mostly the tacticlol and overheard-stupid-gun-poo poo threads because anger and exasperation are the only things left that can make me feel alive again.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

GraPar posted:

Anyone else check out The Fogelnest Files? I liked it - not wildly funny, but wasn't really trying to be. Having two great guests obviously helped, will be interested to check out next month's.

I liked it a lot. The point where the "punk" compilation contained "don't dream it's over" was amazing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Squint posted:

Sup Bunnybread.

I don't know if there would be enough interest to warrant its own thread, but a few of us (oh right this is Isfahan by the way)

For loving serious? I watched your Demon's Souls LP and never made the connection, holy poo poo. Your voice sounded totally different there, at least to me.

Do you guys have a tactilol episode in the pipeline? I figured it would be pretty amusing, and an irritated Isfahan is the best Isfahan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
That'd probably be a bit too esoteric for casual consumption. Since a lot of subcultures have their own special lexicon of in-jokes and terms, it can be a barrier of entry. In the past we've done stuff like the Troper Tales episode where we constantly had to stop so Portaxx could explain all of the insular terminology the tropers were using, and with something like tacticlol or mall ninjas it'd be even worse.

I think the most approachable way of working tacticlol into an episode would be to do one on those people who genuinely think the zombie apocalypse is going to happen and that having a gun with a lot of poo poo on it (with a katana as backup, of course) improves your survivability. Plenty of gun nuts are tongue-in-cheek about it, but I think some of them steep in it for so long that the tongue starts to creep back into place after a while.

• Locked thread