Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Manky posted:

Got back home last night to find my baby was back from the shop. I got a new GFS Mean 90 in the neck and a coilsplit GFS Loudmouth bucker in the bridge.

I also have an Agile, 3100 to be specific. God knows I love the thing more than life itself already, but I have been looking at putting new pickups in it. I have no idea what the best way would be to go about trying out different pickups to see what sound I like the most, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
After watching that youtube video, downloading it as an mp3 and listening to it a bunch of times, I really want a launchpad.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
double post wtf, sorry

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

boxcarhobo posted:

I also have an Agile, 3100 to be specific. God knows I love the thing more than life itself already, but I have been looking at putting new pickups in it. I have no idea what the best way would be to go about trying out different pickups to see what sound I like the most, though.

I'd really recommend browsing around GuitarFetish's pickup selection. A lot of them have links on the page to samples, and those that don't you can usually find on youtube.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Picked up the SG and the Strat today...

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles
Strat with a telecaster neck -- how / why did that happen, just out of curiosity?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Finally got my Sheraton all back together, and figured I'd post a picture in here because I haven't yet of this guitar. Still needs to go to the tech, but this guitar was a major learning experience. I learned that working on semi-hollows completely blows rear end. I do believe it will be very worth it in the end though.

It's a pretty guitar, surrounded by a lovely house:

I'll get some better pics when its fully set up and what not.

7.62WorldOrder
Apr 19, 2002

boxcarhobo posted:

I'm with you on the 3100. Got one myself and have been hemming and hawing about what kind of pickups to get. If you upgrade I would be interested to hear your results.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

7.62WorldOrder posted:

I'm with you on the 3100. Got one myself and have been hemming and hawing about what kind of pickups to get. If you upgrade I would be interested to hear your results.

Cool, I'll let you know. I'm leaning towards the Mean 90 and some kind of humbucker, but I'm also flip-flopping like there's no tomorrow. Why can't I just go ask future me what kind of sweet pickups we put in our sweet guitar :sigh:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

boxcarhobo posted:

Cool, I'll let you know. I'm leaning towards the Mean 90 and some kind of humbucker, but I'm also flip-flopping like there's no tomorrow. Why can't I just go ask future me what kind of sweet pickups we put in our sweet guitar :sigh:

DO IT

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah I think I'm basically gonna steal your setup for now. The demos I've heard of those two are just too sweet.

e: although I do like to play a lot of drop C/two steps down stuff, so I'm wondering about those crunchy rails too... but they almost sound too crunchy and I have two pedals which give me more than enough fuzz (The blackarts Black Forest and a boss jimi hendrix pedal a friend of mine gave me) so... again back to waffling :sigh:

e2: Nevermind, I see what they did, gonna order them today I think; Manky, did you get new pots with your new pickups?

boxcarhobo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 15, 2012

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

boxcarhobo posted:

I have a GFS Mean 90 in neck and a Rio Grande humbucker of some sort in the bridge and I am very happy. I also have one of those Xaviere Tele thinline copies with GFS soapbar P90s in both positions and hubba hubba.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

boxcarhobo posted:

e2: Nevermind, I see what they did, gonna order them today I think; Manky, did you get new pots with your new pickups?

Just one, a push/pull for the coil split on the bucker.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I've got my XV-585, with a P90 neck and this in the bridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMljqlxIhXI

The 'VEH' Van Halen style humbucker. It's so wrong. It's not a PAF sound at all, but I like it.

Tomorrow, if I remember, I'll bring up a photo of my salvage I just got.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I had an extra buck or two thousand lying around so I bought an HD-35

I'm never going to stop playing it even though it terrifies me to even have it out of the case

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Those grains are gorgeous. Breaking in this beauty is going to be fun, I bet.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Manky posted:

Just one, a push/pull for the coil split on the bucker.

Welp, all my stuff is ordered (plus I'm finally getting a dang hardshell case which should be here tomorrow) and now I play the waiting game. I'll try and update with shots and sound bites when I get it all in.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

stuart scott irl posted:

I'm never going to stop playing it even though it terrifies me to even have it out of the case

post a couple of clips asap or imma come round your house, play some avril lavigne on it and smash it over your head while posing for pictures that arent being taken

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.

stuart scott irl posted:

Wait...Is that real? I don't see the logo on the wooden brace inside the guitar? Do they not all have that?

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

The logo is on the other brace, which you can't see because of the lighting

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.

stuart scott irl posted:

The logo is on the other brace, which you can't see because of the lighting

Cool. Beautiful guitar. Here's my newest, just picked up today: G&L

woodhead fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 17, 2012

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

woodhead posted:

I really like my G&L tele; how does it sound with the P-90s?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I have an asat special too. Fantastic guitars. Is yours a tribute or usa?

The pickups aren't really p90s though. G&L calls them MFD pickups and they're great I feel like somewhere between a tele pickup and like a jazzmaster or something? Not quite sure how to put it but there are good demos on youtube and I'd recommend trying one out if you get a chance.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Barn Door posted:

Strat with a telecaster neck -- how / why did that happen, just out of curiosity?

Strat body is from an 80s/early 90s strat and the original neck needed a refret. Buddy of mine found a vintage 60s tele neck at a local music shop so he figured...

The radius takes a bit getting used to compared to the SG and the Yamahas.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Barn Door posted:

The Tele Deluxes from the 70s (And the '72 reissue) - both with humbuckers - have Strat necks. It's actually a look that appeals to me, and I kind of want one of those guitars.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Would anyone in this thread trade a good working and cosmetic condition Crumar Performer for a Fender Rhodes Mark I 73? It looks like the dollar value of the two aren't too far apart.

Conversely, if there's a better thread to be asking in, what is it?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

juche mane posted:

Would anyone in this thread trade a good working and cosmetic condition Crumar Performer for a Fender Rhodes Mark I 73? It looks like the dollar value of the two aren't too far apart.

Conversely, if there's a better thread to be asking in, what is it?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2851542

Not be be a dick, but 1st page homeslice.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Wow. Thought I was in that thread. I have too many tabs open. Apologies.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

juche mane posted:

Wow. Thought I was in that thread. I have too many tabs open. Apologies.

I get them confused too because they have the same thread tag. No problem man.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I just traded a Boss RV-5 for a DD-3 on craigslist, plugged it in and promptly got no sound through it. Checked the cables, checked the power source, everything was good. Took the pedal apart to find that someone did a super shoddy switch repair and decided it would be better to twist the wires of the new switch together in place of soldering them. I contacted the guy, and he says he bought it new and never ever had it open. Ah, craigslist. At least it should be fixable.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Cross post from my own thread

So my dad came over this morning telling me he had something for me, all he said was come help him get it out of the car. And this is what it was:

A God drat PEDAL STEEL!

A Marlen Pedal Steel. I haven't googled them yet, but I bet it's an entry level instrument. He said he found it at a local thrift store bit absolutely would not tell me how much he paid for it.

He said it works other than 1 knee lever being broken. I Noodled around on it a little bit and the action of the pedals seems off and I think the pitch bends need corrected.

I'm going to to start with restoring it.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

HollisBrown posted:

A God drat PEDAL STEEL!

Jesus loving christ you are a lucky bastard.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Noise Machine posted:

Jesus loving christ you are a lucky bastard.
I have never hidden the fact that I have the coolest dad ever.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

HollisBrown posted:

A Marlen Pedal Steel. I haven't googled them yet, but I bet it's an entry level instrument. He said he found it at a local thrift store bit absolutely would not tell me how much he paid for it.

He said it works other than 1 knee lever being broken. I Noodled around on it a little bit and the action of the pedals seems off and I think the pitch bends need corrected.

If you're being serious, okay, first Marlen kinda came up with the whole modern-pedal-steel thing in the '70s, and that could easily go for over a grand depending on exactly what features it has.

Second, you can get replacement parts here: http://www.psgparts.com/Marlen_c4.htm

Third, congrats, I would LOVE a steel like that!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

woodhead posted:

Love love love G&Ls.

I've been getting more into music again lately - writing some new music and stuff. I got myself a new guitar a little bit ago, a Kurt Cobain Mustang, which is really just a regular-rear end Mustang with a Duncan JB and a TOM-style bridge.

Hangin' with my strat:

I was pretty content with that, but I found a guy selling a certain old guitar that I've wanted for a while now. I didn't have any spending money, so I asked the guy if he'd take a trade for some guns I was selling as a longshot. Turns out, we were able to make a deal, so I've got something fun and somewhat unusual arriving later this week. 60's single pickup Gibson that's not a Junior!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Agreed posted:

If you're being serious, okay, first Marlen kinda came up with the whole modern-pedal-steel thing in the '70s, and that could easily go for over a grand depending on exactly what features it has.

Second, you can get replacement parts here: http://www.psgparts.com/Marlen_c4.htm

Third, congrats, I would LOVE a steel like that!

Yeah I found out that this is pretty drat nice steel. It' an S-10, I haven't tried to date it yet.

I stumbled upon this site: http://www.steelguitar.com/ and it has been a godsend they have some great info on setting up, tuning up, maintenance and repair. It is super complicated, but luckily everything works, it just needs cleaned, oiled and setup.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

I was pretty content with that, but I found a guy selling a certain old guitar that I've wanted for a while now. I didn't have any spending money, so I asked the guy if he'd take a trade for some guns I was selling as a longshot. Turns out, we were able to make a deal, so I've got something fun and somewhat unusual arriving later this week. 60's single pickup Gibson that's not a Junior!

Melody Maker?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Carbohydrates posted:

ES of some sort? 125?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

juche mane posted:

Melody Maker?
A particular variant of one, yup! Should be here tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wasn't planning on buying anything, but I found it in the local goodwill while I was looking for video games and terrible VHS movies. Original box and all. I'll have to grab a 9-volt in the morning to test it, since I don't think I have a power supply that matches it.