Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

movax posted:

The hardware has been around for awhile, but most consumer stuff like ThuderBolt is kind of bandwidth starved (PCIe 2.1 x4). The software support isn't quite there yet either, unfortunately. Work needs to be done by both OS vendors and hardware vendors. I'm sure the BIOS guys have some work to do if they want to roll with ACPI-mediated PCIe hot plug.

MSI actually has a functional demo.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5352/msis-gus-ii-external-gpu-via-thunderbolt

Personally, if this existed I seriously consider just picking up a MacBook Air and just using that as my main pc. If I ever needed to play games I'd just dual-boot and hook up my external GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebubba9
Feb 24, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Doesn't the "rise" (well, they're not exactly taking over from dedicated GPU's yet of course) of APU's necessitate more bandwidth eventually?

The rumor on the street is that Haswell will have a large on-die cache (64MB?) in the form of eDRAM to be used as an interposer to help alleviate some of the traffic over the DRAM bus. If the rest of the rumors are true - going from 12 EUs on die to 40 - then Intel may have to make drastic changes to the memory hierarchy to keep them all fed with data.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Shaocaholica posted:

Did those external GPU boxes ever catch on? Seems like that would be cheaper than a whole desktop unless there are other bottlenecks to consider.

Even my C2D Thinkpad has a docking station that will take a single slot, half length PCIe GPU. It wouldn't take much to bump that up to a double slot/full length/200W+.

I've linked this in another thread, but DIY external GPU's are a thing. You use a full-size desktop card and basically end up with performance equivalent to a mobile version of the same card. It's a pretty compelling use case: Carry a 12" laptop, then go home, hook it up to your external GPU, and transform it into a gaming laptop.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Gobbeldygook posted:

You use a full-size desktop card and basically end up with performance equivalent to a mobile version of the same card.

Because of bandwidth limitations on Thunderbolt or what?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Toast Museum posted:

Because of bandwidth limitations on Thunderbolt or what?

Yeah, because of bandwidth limitations on express card/pcie ports which is how almost all eGPUs are currently done. An eGPU via a Thunderbolt port would achieve performance very close to the same card in a desktop.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yeah, because of bandwidth limitations on express card/pcie ports which is how almost all eGPUs are currently done. An eGPU via a Thunderbolt port would achieve performance very close to the same card in a desktop.
A Thunderbolt port is still only equivalent to PCI-E 2.0 4X. Better than Expresscard and good enough for basic desktop work, but still a major bottleneck.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Alereon posted:

A Thunderbolt port is still only equivalent to PCI-E 2.0 4X. Better than Expresscard and good enough for basic desktop work, but still a major bottleneck.

Kind of remarkable, but maybe not so much, at least with cards comparable in performance to a GTX 580 480 (testing was done with two of 'em in SLI). It's a fair bet that modern top of the line cards could be bandwidth limited with their substantially higher fill rates, but the idea of any Thunderbolt-equipped laptop having full access to a GTX 660Ti's performance is really enticing. Basically turn any laptop into a "gaming" laptop, except only when you want it.

The testing I'm referring to was mainly to see what kind of issues bandwidth limitation would cause on a triple-monitor system; they found virtually no bandwidth issues at resolutions between 2560x1600 and 1920x1080 with last generation's highest performance technology. I swear it was linked here somewhere recently. GPU thread, maybe.

Edit: Found it, it was posted in Anandtech comments. Also, GTX 480s. video card bandwidth test: PCI-e 2.0 16x vs. 8x vs. 4x with GTX 480s.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 7, 2012

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Alereon posted:

Right. And like others have mentioned, its not graphics cards that are the bottleneck here, its professional stuff like capture, transcoding, and RAID controllers. Our typical Mac Pro setup has a AJA Kona 3 video card and an ATTO RAID card, which both require a 4x slot. The RED suite has a RED rocket that requires an 8x slot and the aforementioned RAID card.

Apple keeps telling us ThunderBolt is the solution to all of our professional problems, and that just is not the case right now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mayodreams posted:

Right. And like others have mentioned, its not graphics cards that are the bottleneck here, its professional stuff like capture, transcoding, and RAID controllers. Our typical Mac Pro setup has a AJA Kona 3 video card and an ATTO RAID card, which both require a 4x slot. The RED suite has a RED rocket that requires an 8x slot and the aforementioned RAID card.

Apple keeps telling us ThunderBolt is the solution to all of our professional problems, and that just is not the case right now.
That reminds me of this demo from a while back:
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/davtechtable/tech-demo-thunderbolt-macbook-air-red-rocket/

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Right, I've seen that, and they are not using any kind of storage along with that either. The BlackMagic box is also not as powerful as the Kona3. I'm not saying it won't work in any capacity, it's just not the miracle Apple claims it to be.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I asked in the system building thread and didn't get an answer, so I figured I'd try here since it's relevant.

I need a new mobo, and since I have an i7 920 I need an LGA1366 board which is basically the equivalent of unicorn poo poo from a UK vendor unless I want to spend a £200 on a board or play ebay roulette.

For maybe another 30% more than the cost of 1366 board I can get a 3000 series i5 and decent LGA1155 board, which I don't mind doing IF I can really justify replacing my still pretty respectable overclocked 920 and spending the extra money. There's the problem with dropping a bunch of money on an already obsolete socket to consider, but the 920 has kept up surprisingly well for me and I feel kind of sick dumping a perfectly fine processor (that still has some unexplored OC headroom) for what looks like a sidegrade at best.

Any thoughts?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Upgrade. LGA-1366 is already an old platform (SATA300 only, no USB 3.0 for example), and while that's not too painful now or impossible to workaround later, there's no reason to essentially double-down rather than just buying a new CPU. You can even Ebay your CPU to recover some value. One thing to remember, your current system has memory installed in sets of 3, while LGA-1155 uses pairs. Your best would be to not install your third stick, but if that's taking you down to 4GB of RAM you may notice that. Installing a fourth stick is an option, but I'd avoid installing more than one DIMM per channel if you can.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mayodreams posted:

Right, I've seen that, and they are not using any kind of storage along with that either. The BlackMagic box is also not as powerful as the Kona3. I'm not saying it won't work in any capacity, it's just not the miracle Apple claims it to be.
There's a Promise RAID there too actually, but yeah I get what you're saying.

Speaking of Kona though: http://www.aja.com/en/articles/183/

movax
Aug 30, 2008

For consumers, we just have to wait for the cost of fiber to come down, or see what Intel does with regards to their next generation TB controllers and still operating over copper. Having PCIe 3.0 x4 over copper would finally be enough to drive all but the most demanding resolutions/games, I think. I know I could do PCIe 3.0 x4 using a QSFP and some PLX hardware, and I'd love to try it if I had a spare $2k laying around.

Really, we should have a bored goon here benchmark some stuff at x4/x8/x16 to get a better idea of what's going on, that HardOCP article is pretty old.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
How do you throttle a PCIe slot, anyway?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

I think you can tape off some of the pins to force it to run at a lower speed.

e: or just cut them http://allthemods.com/userinfo.php?userid=238&id=6246

e2: or find one of these adapters for 4x/8x/16x and mod it like they do and put a 16x card in it

http://www.kegetys.fi/forum/index.php?topic=752.0

text editor fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 8, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

If I recall correctly, the LTSSM (Link Training Status State Machine) is responsible for initiating link width up or downsizing. Electrically, as many people have noticed or done, if you only have a certain number of the pins electrically connected, that will force a certain link width. You could have the end-point device also report certain link widths in software if you wished. (I think I've done this before)

Certain devices, like modern Intel PCHs are also cable of linking up say a x4 link if the lanes are ordered from 0-3 or 3-0, which makes life really simple for layout.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Well, I'd be willing to do some modding and investigate if someone were willing to supply me with 1) some GeForce 680s, 2) a 2560x monitor, and 3) a Z77 board and IVB CPU for PCIe 3.0 support.

I promise it would be a REALLY GOOD writeup. :v:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

text editor posted:

e2: or find one of these adapters for 4x/8x/16x and mod it like they do and put a 16x card in it

http://www.kegetys.fi/forum/index.php?topic=752.0

Dear lord, I've tested dongles which much shorter length than that which had pretty lovely electrical characteristics. I'd hate to see what those are like

These are much less lovely and doesn't require cutting anything
http://www.startech.com/PCI-Express-x1-to-Low-Profile-x16-Slot-Extension-Adapter~PEX1TO16

movax
Aug 30, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Dear lord, I've tested dongles which much shorter length than that which had pretty lovely electrical characteristics. I'd hate to see what those are like

These are much less lovely and doesn't require cutting anything
http://www.startech.com/PCI-Express-x1-to-Low-Profile-x16-Slot-Extension-Adapter~PEX1TO16

Yeah, that ribbon cable :stare: I almost want to buy one of those and slap a probe on it to see how lovely it is. I mean granted it's only six critical wires (TXP/TXN, RXP/RXN, REFCLK+/-), but I imagine the impedance discontinuities/etc are not helping things. The eye probably looks really gross.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

movax posted:

For consumers, we just have to wait for the cost of fiber to come down, or see what Intel does with regards to their next generation TB controllers and still operating over copper. Having PCIe 3.0 x4 over copper would finally be enough to drive all but the most demanding resolutions/games, I think. I know I could do PCIe 3.0 x4 using a QSFP and some PLX hardware, and I'd love to try it if I had a spare $2k laying around.

Really, we should have a bored goon here benchmark some stuff at x4/x8/x16 to get a better idea of what's going on, that HardOCP article is pretty old.

Is this new enough for you?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5458/the-radeon-hd-7970-reprise-pcie-bandwidth-overclocking-and-msaa

quote:

The good news is that even at 2GB/sec the bottlenecking is rather limited, and based on our selection of benchmarks it looks like a handful of games will be bottlenecked.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Look at this Lexus of Z77 mobos. Tons of add-on goodies and a PCIe switch for x8/x8/x8/x8 graphics :stare:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

movax posted:

Look at this Lexus of Z77 mobos. Tons of add-on goodies and a PCIe switch for x8/x8/x8/x8 graphics :stare:

That little SSD is the most useless thing...

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

If it had been a 64GB Samsung PM830 then I would call that a pretty smart deal, but I guess it's kind of useful as a dedicated pagefile drive. Now that I think about it, bundling an SSD which is going to rapidly depreciate in value with a motherboard that might spend some time on a shelf is a pretty poor choice, I guess they're hoping to move these things quickly.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Alereon posted:

If it had been a 64GB Samsung PM830 then I would call that a pretty smart deal, but I guess it's kind of useful as a dedicated pagefile drive. Now that I think about it, bundling an SSD which is going to rapidly depreciate in value with a motherboard that might spend some time on a shelf is a pretty poor choice, I guess they're hoping to move these things quickly.

Now they should sell a model where you can bring your own mSATA card.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

incoherent posted:

Now they should sell a model where you can bring your own mSATA card.

I thought they did; this one of course you can just replace the LiteOn drive with something else, but I swear I remember another member of their alphabet soup of mobos that had a mSATA port open for a little cache drive (right when Z68 launched I think).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

movax posted:

I thought they did; this one of course you can just replace the LiteOn drive with something else, but I swear I remember another member of their alphabet soup of mobos that had a mSATA port open for a little cache drive (right when Z68 launched I think).

I believe all the Z77 ROG (Maximus V Gene, Formula, and Extreme) boards have a PCIe/mSATA module that can take WLAN of your choice on one side and mSATA of your choice on the other. Comes pre-stocked with a WLAN card but not with an mSATA drive.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

hobbesmaster posted:

I ran Ubuntu for a long time with a 30GB partition for / and it never got more than half full, but if you're running Linux you probably don't need the creme de la creme motherboard. And if you're buying that motherboard you're probably expecting to be doing a lot of gaming and therefore running Windows primarily.

I guess you could put the page file on it and/or keep a small linux install on it in case you gently caress up your windows install and need to look poo poo up to fix it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

pienipple posted:

I ran Ubuntu for a long time with a 30GB partition for / and it never got more than half full, but if you're running Linux you probably don't need the creme de la creme motherboard. And if you're buying that motherboard you're probably expecting to be doing a lot of gaming and therefore running Windows primarily.

I guess you could put the page file on it and/or keep a small linux install on it in case you gently caress up your windows install and need to look poo poo up to fix it.

Huh, dual booting to a Linux install would be a pretty good use for it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It wouldn't be a bad place to stash bootable diagnostic tools, either, especially if you could disable that port when it's not needed to keep it from being compromised.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

hobbesmaster posted:

It's useful if you want to use it as a cache to back a mechanical drive. But, if you're buying a $450 super deluxe motherboard, you're probably going to have a nice big SSD to boot from, too.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Here is a decent whitepaper from Intel about the boot process/initialization process for their x86 CPUs, if anyone is curious as to what black magic the BIOS does.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Since there's already been talk about Haswell memory, has anything more surfaced yet about the transactional memory extension? It's not going to be server market only, is it?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

Yeah, that ribbon cable :stare: I almost want to buy one of those and slap a probe on it to see how lovely it is. I mean granted it's only six critical wires (TXP/TXN, RXP/RXN, REFCLK+/-), but I imagine the impedance discontinuities/etc are not helping things. The eye probably looks really gross.

I'd be curious since I just bought one of these since I want to move a x1 eSata card to a physical slot below my motherboard (mATX in an ATX case).

The x16 version and x1->x16 versions of these were being used very heavily by the bitcoin mining community to max out the number of GPUs they could put in a single computer. In fact, when trying to find any stats at all about the reliability of these things, I couldn't find a single reference to their use outside of bitcoin mining.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I had a thought about using one to get a sound card into a mini-ITX build via a mini-PCIe slot, but I'm stumped on mounting an expansion card in a 5.25" bay. That seems to be a need that even StarTech hasn't addressed.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chuu posted:

The x16 version and x1->x16 versions of these were being used very heavily by the bitcoin mining community to max out the number of GPUs they could put in a single computer. In fact, when trying to find any stats at all about the reliability of these things, I couldn't find a single reference to their use outside of bitcoin mining.

Hey it's only correctable errors anyway who cares. And ASPM, why would bitcoiners even deal with that.

Have any of those guys ever explored using a full-fledged PCIe expansion system? They are pricier than those poo poo dongles but I figured cost was no option to them.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
This is a really interesting look at CPU performance in gaming. I am surprised there is that much difference in latency between Intel and AMD.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-todays-cpus/

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

mayodreams posted:

This is a really interesting look at CPU performance in gaming. I am surprised there is that much difference in latency between Intel and AMD.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-todays-cpus/

It was not far fetched to imagine Bulldozer wouldn't beat Sandy Bridge back then, but the thing nobody expected is that it would be worse than their own previous products. It really was a poor show.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Well to be fair, technically there are a few random arcane workloads that Bulldozer performs better in. But even there it comes at the expense of higher power draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

mayodreams posted:

Here's the article at TechReport. It's kind of depressing to see that my four year old Core 2 Quad Q9650 is still better than any AMD processor at gaming.