Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

air- posted:

That's the only thing saving Live Oak and eventually, Deep Ellum.

Live Oak Hefe is the best in the world so you shutup :colbert:

funkybottoms posted:

local Krogers (a large regional grocery store chain) have done the calculations and gotten rid of a lot of their craft/import shelf space- it's literally not worth it for them to stock.

The local big chain is HEB and they vary their space quite widely among different stores depending on location. In the more affluent sections there's a full on aisle of the stuff; in the more far flung working-class sections there's a lot more emphasis on cases of Bud Light Lime.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Kroger is actually where I've found Divine Reserve releases sitting on shelves in Dallas; weeks after the usual suspect specialty craft stores have been long mobbed!

I do agree on Live Oak's Hef. But you have to keep in mind, they've been saying things like "we're gonna bottle, yeah it'll be later this year!" except... that was in 2007. And they repeat it every year. This is one case where they do have a good product, but aren't making good business decisions, or at least it doesn't seem like they are pursuing the capital they need to move forward.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

SUPER HASSLER posted:

The local big chain is HEB and they vary their space quite widely among different stores depending on location. In the more affluent sections there's a full on aisle of the stuff; in the more far flung working-class sections there's a lot more emphasis on cases of Bud Light Lime.

This is very true here in Omaha — the midtown Hy Vee has a limited selection of craft stuff, whereas the ones out west (wealthier, white) have selections that rival the local craft beers stores.

That said, I've found several bottles of high-demand stuff like Boulevard Chocolate Ale and NB Cocoa Mole at the midtown stores, like, two months after demand peaks

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
NB Red Hoptober... wow this is nutty. Anyone else get some serious hazelnut in this?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I caved and bought a 4 pack of River Horse's Hipp-O-Lantern imperial pumpkin beer since I figured my girlfriend would like it and I'm reminded of how it's a very solid pumpkin beer. The spice is a bit strong on the finish, but I think it's near on-par with Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin, from memory. I think it's worth trying.

Also despite the hatred of Pumpkin/Marzen style beers being released with 90 degree 90% humidity weather, I'm still stocking up on various beers. Who else is doing such? I picked up 6 packs of Sly Fox and Yuengling's Octoberfests, a 4 pack of River Horse and Weyerbacher's pumpkins, and got Ayinger's Octoberfest beer for when the weather cools down, so far. I also picked up each other Sam Adam's beers.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Unbelieveable beer deal of the day: I came home from Target with two bombers of Matilda for $4.29 each. I don't think I've seen any of the GI bombers for less than 8 bucks anywhere else.

Tantric
Dec 4, 2003

The SARS Volta posted:

I'm gonna ask you guys something out of my own ignorance — hope it's not a horrible derail or anything.

With regard to startup microbreweries:

Am I offbase in thinking that early on in their operations, they need to put out a product, regardless of its quality? Like, something they realize is not very good, but they need to bottle/can it anyway to cover costs?

For example, there are couple of young breweries around here (one in Lincoln, NE; the other in western Iowa) that have yet to put out anything my friends and I feel is worth drinking again — yet alone buying — and the sentiment seems to be shared by the bartenders and other random acquaintances we ask. The stuff is just not good, and I can't imagine that anyone who enjoys beer enough to make a business out of it would agree.

Are we being snobs of the highest level, or is this an established necessary evil in the microbrewing industry?

I'm guessing that you are talking about Okaboji brewery as the one from western iowa. I've tried most of them at a tasting and besides the stout which has a nice anise flavor to it they are all bad. The Midwest Farmhouse ale was just a mess of a very strong malt base much like an brown ale with the belgian yeast that made a truly terrible beer. I gave them my honest feedback and the brewer was receptive but disagreed with me. Sometimes you can't help people get out of their own way.

Tried Boulevard's 80 Acre Hoppy Wheat and its a great summer beer. Nice hop bite and smell to go with the sweet wheat. For $7 a six pack its drat nice.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Tantric posted:

I'm guessing that you are talking about Okaboji brewery as the one from western iowa.

Nope (come to think of it, I haven't tried and of Okoboji's stuff yet; I think I'm skeptical of any beer that comes from a Midwestern resort community).

The culprit: CIB Brewery (Carson, Iowa)

They usually have a tap of something at Krug Park in Omaha. They did a chili beer a few months back. I'm quite fond of chili beers, but this was undrinkable.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

crazyfish posted:

Unbelieveable beer deal of the day: I came home from Target with two bombers of Matilda for $4.29 each. I don't think I've seen any of the GI bombers for less than 8 bucks anywhere else.

What the gently caress Target sells beer in your area? The Target's in mine just started selling food.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

What the gently caress Target sells beer in your area? The Target's in mine just started selling food.

A few of them do, actually.

Speaking of Goose Island, Belgian Fest tickets are on sale: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/267233

edit: Sold out, luckily I got one. Turns out they went on sale yesterday.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 14, 2012

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

funkybottoms posted:

local Krogers (a large regional grocery store chain) have done the calculations and gotten rid of a lot of their craft/import shelf space- it's literally not worth it for them to stock.

Moving from Edgewater to the more working class Tri-Taylor only sucks because I became used to having multiple stores offering amazing selections of beer within a quarter mile radius of my apartment. I now have to make the trek to Binny's for anything out of the ordinary, which means an hour walk or taking the Roosevelt bus... and anyone from here can tell you that the Roosevelt bus doesn't so much keep to a schedule as it does flicker in and out of this and several other realities at random and, each time it does, it brings the strangest examples of sentient life those other dimensions have to offer into our world with it.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 15, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm trying to get some info on Surly Brewing of Minnesota as I'm hoping to find someway to get cans here in San Francisco, but their website seems to be down. Is anyone familiar with them?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

I'm trying to get some info on Surly Brewing of Minnesota as I'm hoping to find someway to get cans here in San Francisco, but their website seems to be down. Is anyone familiar with them?

If you want to get cans to San Francisco, the only way besides trading with someone from the Minneapolis area is buying them off france44.com .

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

They're based out of the Twin Cities and many beers in their lineup are good. Definitely worth seeking out if you can get it; as far as I know, they don't have a wide distribution area (may be wrong on this- been a while since I've traveled there). Mostly known for Darkness, which is a big imperial stout, and it has a big release party annually similar to something like Dark Lord Day. Furious, Cynic, Bender, and Coffee Bender usually aren't too hard to find. Would suggest starting out with Furious and Cynic. Out of their seasonals, I've only had Abrasive and Bitter Brewer.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

deadwing posted:

If you want to get cans to San Francisco, the only way besides trading with someone from the Minneapolis area is buying them off france44.com .

Holy poo poo I never thought of trying them. Perfect! Thank you!

Edit: holy poo poo the shipping charges :psyduck:

air- posted:

They're based out of the Twin Cities and many beers in their lineup are good. Definitely worth seeking out if you can get it; as far as I know, they don't have a wide distribution area (may be wrong on this- been a while since I've traveled there). Mostly known for Darkness, which is a big imperial stout, and it has a big release party annually similar to something like Dark Lord Day. Furious, Cynic, Bender, and Coffee Bender usually aren't too hard to find. Would suggest starting out with Furious and Cynic. Out of their seasonals, I've only had Abrasive and Bitter Brewer.

Sorry I should have been clearer as to "does anyone know why the site is down". I lived in Minneapolis for 12 years and Surly is something I miss dearly. But thanks for the info because it would be helpful for anyone to know. :shobon:

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 15, 2012

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Holy poo poo I never thought of trying them. Perfect! Thank you!

Edit: holy poo poo the shipping charges :psyduck:

It works out best when you're shipping out a full case, so that'd be six four-packs. It's not cheap either way, but you hit the equilibrium there.

edit: Them attempting to sell Surlyfest tickets on their site this afternoon murdered their servers.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

I think trading is going to be the only you will get your hands on some; they have problems even satisfying the demand in MN alone. Surely (surly?) in San Fran you could get something an MN bumpkin might want... check the beer trading thread!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

deadwing posted:

It works out best when you're shipping out a full case, so that'd be six four-packs. It's not cheap either way, but you hit the equilibrium there.

edit: Them attempting to sell Surlyfest tickets on their site this afternoon murdered their servers.

Ohhhhhh thats what happened! :haw:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I think Coffee Bender is the best thing in the world and I would buy it all the time. Abrasive and Furious are also outstanding. I wish I could get their beers without trading. I do have a reliable trade partner though who wants to trade Sixpoint for Surly!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

I do have a reliable trade partner though who wants to trade Sixpoint for Surly!

That person is getting ripped off.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I tried the Left Hand Smoke Jumper a few days ago and really did not like it at all. I hadn't tried any sort of smoked porter before, but this tasted like I was getting a big mouthful of ash and burnt fish. I don't really recommend this beer to anyone unless you're trying to remove the burnt hair taste of the Rogue Donut beer.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

americanzero4128 posted:

I tried the Left Hand Smoke Jumper a few days ago and really did not like it at all. I hadn't tried any sort of smoked porter before, but this tasted like I was getting a big mouthful of ash and burnt fish. I don't really recommend this beer to anyone unless you're trying to remove the burnt hair taste of the Rogue Donut beer.

if you're not familiar with the style, it can be a little off-putting, but Smoke Jumper is quite good, not to mention being more towards the middle on the smokiness scale. there are other smoked beers i find unpalatable, but the Rogue thing is an abomination of a whole different order.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

danbanana posted:

That person is getting ripped off.

In what way? Sixpoint is a solid brewery I mean Bengali Tiger and Resin are great as is Diesel and the other year round line-up. My last trade was a 4 pack of Resin+2 Autumnation for a Coffee Bender, Bender, Furious and Abrasive. Seems fair to me considering we just did $4$.

As for Smoke Jumper, that's a really solid smoked porter if you ask me. I liked it a lot.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

In what way? Sixpoint is a solid brewery I mean Bengali Tiger and Resin are great as is Diesel and the other year round line-up. My last trade was a 4 pack of Resin+2 Autumnation for a Coffee Bender, Bender, Furious and Abrasive. Seems fair to me considering we just did $4$.

Nothing Sixpoint does is close to Furious, which is Surly's least impressive beer. Nevermind that Abrasive is the best IIPA on the planet and runs $14+ for a 4-pack.

Seriously, this is like trading FFFs stuff for Brooklyn. Nothing against the latter but there's levels of quality difference in my opinion.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Well while I agree that Furious is much better than Bengali Tiger and that Abrasive is much better than Resin, they are still really good if you ask me. Resin is the typical sweet East coast IIPA and Bengali Tiger is a nice British style IPA. From what I understand it's not terribly hard to actually get Surly if you're in Minnesota, she said it wasn't a big deal really to get any of them.

Is Surly the better brewery? Probably, but they're both the same difficulty to get on both of our ends and we kept it cash for cash.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

For me the fun in trading lies less with $-to-$ and more trying new stuff and getting to know a region's beer/beer folks more. That's why I trade with goons and not with BA people.

I mean I traded random CO stuff for Hopslam and KBS and I think most people would say I got the better part of that trade, but that wasn't the point.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

danbanana posted:

Nothing Sixpoint does is close to Furious, which is Surly's least impressive beer. Nevermind that Abrasive is the best IIPA on the planet and runs $14+ for a 4-pack.

Seriously, this is like trading FFFs stuff for Brooklyn. Nothing against the latter but there's levels of quality difference in my opinion.

I have to agree with Midorka - I don't think the whole trading thing works if you insist on subjectively judging how good the beers are in the trade, particularly when, like Surly, its apparently readily available if you're in the distribution area.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Angry Grimace posted:

I have to agree with Midorka - I don't think the whole trading thing works if you insist on subjectively judging how good the beers are in the trade, particularly when, like Surly, its apparently readily available if you're in the distribution area.

Dollar for dollar and "try stuff I can't get" is totally cool. I was simply pointing out that- in my opinion, having tried most stuff from both breweries- one side had to give away really good stuff to try mediocre (at best) stuff. Hence, one side got ripped off.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

danbanana posted:

Hence, one side got ripped off.

And that's you're problem, that you're stuck in this mentality that just because one side may have gotten better beer overall, that the other side was ripped off. It's not as if I sent a case of Natural Light over for the Surly. It's like you're not only severely discrediting Sixpoint, but you're also making it a competition of sorts, which is everything I dislike about trading. It's also not as if I said that I was sending a mystery box, the person made a post wanting Sixpoint beers for their Surly, no one got ripped off despite how many times you would like to repeat it.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 15, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Midorka posted:

And that's you're problem, that you're stuck in this mentality that just because one side may have gotten better beer overall, that the other side was ripped off. It's not as if I sent a case of Natural Light over for the Surly. It's like you're not only severely discrediting Sixpoint, but you're also making it a competition of sorts, which is everything I dislike about trading. It's also not as if I said that I was sending a mystery box, the person made a post wanting Sixpoint beers for their Surly, no one got ripped off despite how many times you would like to repeat it.

Still doesn't change the fact Sixpoint is disappointing; everything they make is middling. Not bad, just nothing interesting. I get your point though, if the guy really wanted to try Sixpoint then it was a perfectly acceptable trade.

Ninja Vs. Unicorn is the same as my opinion on Sixpoint. Not the mind blowing DIPA lots of people like to make it in Chicago. Solid but just ok. I'd rather buy two Hop Stoopids for the price of one of those.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Paul Proteus posted:

Still doesn't change the fact Sixpoint is disappointing; everything they make is middling. Not bad, just nothing interesting. I get your point though, if the guy really wanted to try Sixpoint then it was a perfectly acceptable trade.

If someone wants to trade local-for-local (or whatever) to try new stuff, more power to them. For the person who wanted to try the Sixpoint stuff and who has ready access to Surly, that's a reasonable swap...

But I bet dollars to donuts the trade partner opened each one of those Sixpoint beers and at the end thought, "What the gently caress was I thinking?"

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Cigar City rules. Even the pumpkin.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

danbanana posted:

Differences in quality don't really matter and are largely subjective. For many people they just want to try new things. If someone can get FFF but not Brooklyn, then trading some FFF for Brooklyn would make sense. A couple FFF monthlies for some Sorachi Ace and Local 1/2's would be a good trade. This applies to any craft brewery really.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I mean I traded random CO stuff for Hopslam and KBS and I think most people would say I got the better part of that trade, but that wasn't the point.

you ripped me off, jerk!

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I just popped open a 2011 Schlafly Reserve Imperial Stout, and it's bourbony as hell. This is going to be 750ml of sippin'.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

you ripped me off, jerk!

Aww not so much given how much of a hardon BA has finally gotten for Crooked Stave now!

e: Oh hey guess who just got a free thursday GABF ticket? :smug: (apologies, couldn't resist braggin just because it was so unexpected)

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 16, 2012

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
Drinking some Two Hearted after seeing all of the love in this thread, it's amazing. Moving from Alabama to South Carolina was the best thing ever for trying new beers, not so much for the wallet.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Aww not so much given how much of a hardon BA has finally gotten for Crooked Stave now!

yeah, but then you moved!

seriously, though, as long as everyone is happy with a trade, nobody is getting ripped off, that's all there is to it.

VVV you can't blame the beer for that, though VVV

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 16, 2012

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, but then you moved!

seriously, though, as long as everyone is happy with a trade, nobody is getting ripped off, that's all there is to it.

As long as UPS doesn't gently caress your shipment up, right? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

americanzero4128 posted:

I hadn't tried any sort of smoked porter before, but this tasted like I was getting a big mouthful of ash and burnt fish.
I haven't tried theirs, but I was blown away by Stone's Smoked Porter. Haven't tried their various flavor offshoots, but the base smoked porter was one of the best porters I've had, and the smoke was a side-effect, not the main flavor (unlike, say, Sam Adams Bonfire Rauchbier, which was like "Here, have a beer that tastes like a campfire" ... a novelty but nothing I'd go back to over and over).

Given how many of Stone's beers have really aggressive flavor profiles, I was pleasantly surprised.

In fact, I think I'll buy one for this weekend....