Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Eh! Frank posted:

I meant the weapon bound to the 1 key. The left-click spinning-blades thing is simple enough, but I don't get the ranged attack.

Oh. Yeah, that one is a bit counterintuitive, although I thought it was explained in the manual. Basically, if it hits an enemy, it bounces them into the air and retracts back to you - you can use this to juggle enemies (and you get bonus gold for juggling corpses). If it hits a wall, it sticks there until recalled and creates a beam between you and where it hit that damages anything that passes through it.

The damage honestly isn't that great, though, so it's mainly useful for getting a bit of extra gold by corpse-juggling.

quote:

And when the hell did I pick up the stake gun? There was no indication that I had picked it up at any point (I only noticed I had it after I was switching back from the blade gun and accidentally hit 3 instead of 2), and I definitely don't remember getting it the first time I tried playing. It's reload time is a bit too long to be useful against hordes of monsters. Same with the shotgun's freeze attack, so I'm pretty much just using the shotgun the whole time. But at least there's more weapon variety than I remembered.

The freeze attack is meant to be used as part of a one-two combo: freeze a group of enemies (or a single durable enemy), then shatter them with a shotgun blast or a grenade.

The stake gun primary is basically a sniper weapon; slow firing rate, long range, high damage. If you fire it at long enough range the stake ignites in midair before it hits the target and does even more damage. Against groups, though, you really need room to manouver so you can keep them away from you (which, to be fair, most levels give you). Alternate fire is a grenade launcher and thus much better at crowd control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
OK, I admit the "close you in until you kill a group of enemies" thing was a weak part of Painkiller's design and this is what I'd happily do without. What wowed me back in the day was that it looked great, played great and smooth, on my lovely hardware, didn't pretend the story was more important and let the joy of carnage do its job. It was/is a very good antidote to FPPs that have you watch 5 minutes of cutscenes each time you do anything.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Completed - VVVVVV: This game is very challenging, but not in a way that put me off. I managed to get all the trinkets, but won't be doing time trials or anything like that.

Played Skyrim for a couple hours, too. Not sure how to mark progress in that game, but I can see how people get sidetracked from the quests very easily. Why the hell do I need to catch butterflies? Who cares, I'm going to do it for 10 minutes anyway.

Everyone was right earlier - starting with a small game and beating it quickly made me feel pretty good. I'm definitely motivated to play more now. Next small game to tackle is Hamilton's Great Adventure. I'm about halfway through this already, so it shouldn't be too bad to get through.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 15, 2012

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
My save game corrupted close to the final level in Crysis, just before I got to play with the TAC. I'm calling this beaten because I couldn't be buggered playing through this boring, yet beautiful, FPS again.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

PSI-5 posted:

My save game corrupted close to the final level in Crysis, just before I got to play with the TAC. I'm calling this beaten because I couldn't be buggered playing through this boring, yet beautiful, FPS again.

Quit if you want to but there are other options.

http://www.crysis-savegames.com/savegames/Crysis

If Crysis is boring you're not playing Predator: Choke Slam hard enough. :colbert: Unless you're in the last part of the game which is legitimately lovely. To counteract the bad taste of the last part, I suggest doing a play through of the first few levels with your suit powers modified to be extreme. It's way more fun than the base game and makes up for the last part.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
OK, I better confess. I have been collecting games for far too long and I have now really started to work on my backlog.

Yesterday I finished Assassin's Creed 2 and today I went through Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days.
While the first was a really excellent open-world free-roam game, K&L2 felt like an extremely bad movie that was trying too hard to be cool and edgy. It did have some great scenery though.

I do actually null a whole lot of games. Basically everything that is boring or crap gets nulled within 30 minutes to one hour.
Considering the 500+ games in my Steam library alone, this is the only way I'd ever be able to check out most of them.
But it also means that sometimes I might miss a great game that just had a very slow or boring start.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fart of Presto posted:

OK, I better confess. I have been collecting games for far too long and I have now really started to work on my backlog.

Yesterday I finished Assassin's Creed 2 and today I went through Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days.
While the first was a really excellent open-world free-roam game, K&L2 felt like an extremely bad movie that was trying too hard to be cool and edgy. It did have some great scenery though.

I do actually null a whole lot of games. Basically everything that is boring or crap gets nulled within 30 minutes to one hour.
Considering the 500+ games in my Steam library alone, this is the only way I'd ever be able to check out most of them.
But it also means that sometimes I might miss a great game that just had a very slow or boring start.

Are you nulling Sleeping Dogs? I heard it was pretty good.

For me, I'm on Chapter 6 of Dark Messiah: Might and Magic. I am having fun kicking orcs off cliffs, but the ghouls/zombies/whatever they are that constantly come out of the ground are making this level a drag. Respawning enemies are never fun.

Edit: I also heard the final boss is a big gently caress you if you play a melee class, so I'm not looking forward to that at all.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 15, 2012

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

ToxicFrog posted:

I blame Half-Life.
I think that's a pretty good theory. Although I believe it was something that was inevitable anyway, Half-Life definitely lead the charge for plot centered linear gameplay in FPS games as opposed to the more abstract design of Doom and all its clones. One of the things that made Doom so great (especially the first one), and something that's been moved away from in game design, is the way it played more like a top down arcade shooter. The levels were designed purely for gameplay, and they were large and often complex spaces that you could navigate pretty much however you wanted. There's a great article discussing it that was linked in another thread a while ago: http://vectorpoem.com/news/?p=74

e: Don't get me wrong though, I do love Half-Life and its sequel(s). I think they nailed the whole FPS as a narrative idea they were going for. It's just that games like Painkiller try to throw out the plot and be a throwback to games like Doom, but miss a lot of the important things that made that kind of game so great.

Pierzak posted:

What wowed me back in the day was that it looked great, played great and smooth, on my lovely hardware, didn't pretend the story was more important and let the joy of carnage do its job.
I remember back when I had a computer and video card that were way underpowered for the game, I was still able to play Painkiller because rather than turning into a stuttering mess when a lot of stuff was happening at once, it just slowed the whole game down, so it felt like you were playing in bullettime or something. It was pretty impressive, and I don't know of any other games that have done that.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 15, 2012

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

americanzero4128 posted:

Are you nulling Sleeping Dogs? I heard it was pretty good.
Absolutely not. I just bought and registered it, but it's still locked here in Europe, even though it's done preloading.
I actually watched TotalBiscuit's 1½ hour look at it and got even more excited for that game :)

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fart of Presto posted:

Absolutely not. I just bought and registered it, but it's still locked here in Europe, even though it's done preloading.
I actually watched TotalBiscuit's 1½ hour look at it and got even more excited for that game :)

Heh, ok, your backloggery thing showed it as null and I was like :pwn:

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

Tommofork posted:

Quit if you want to but there are other options.

http://www.crysis-savegames.com/savegames/Crysis

Hey, thanks for the savegames link. I'll give it another go. And, yes, I was at the last part which is why I was ready to call it a day.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

americanzero4128 posted:

Heh, ok, your backloggery thing showed it as null and I was like :pwn:

The green N stands for New game. The null is a black N.

I've been working my way through GTA4 and I don't think the story is as terrible as people said. The constant bugging me to date people, go bowling with Roman etc isn't fun and neither is the driving, at all. I just done a race mission for Bruce. It never showed me a map of the course pre-mission nor did it actually give me any indication that I would be racing. This is bad because the car handles like a drunk tramp skidding around with a shopping trolley. If it had been raining it would be an instant fail too.

It's decent when not compared to its predecessors and has an unexpected twist when a woman you are introduced to turns out to be some government agent. This made sense to me since my constant ignoring her left her unphased. I assumed this was related to the poor depth in actual relationships (which it might be) but it fits the story too now.

I'd give it a 3/10 when compared with previous GTA's or a 6/10 when looking at it on its own merits.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
Well I am stuck. Being on a vacation and just recovered from tonsilitis I now have some games started but no focus on which to finish.

Currently started with some hours into:
- Darksiders.
- Kingdoms of Amalur - Reckoning.
- Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga.
- Krater.
- L.A Noire.
- Orcs Must Die!
- Rock of Ages.
- Warhammer 40k Space Marine.

Got a bunch of other games that I haven't started yet but I promised not to touch them before I get some of these done.

So please, help me prioritize which one of these I should focus on.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Boggus posted:

So please, help me prioritize which one of these I should focus on.
Bump Orcs Must Die to the top with the caveat that it's meant to be played in short sittings, 34-4 levels at most. Drop Rock of Ages and Space Marine to the bottom.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Space Marine is short, Amalur starts getting too repetitive really fast, and Krater is terrible. Rock of Ages and OMD are meant to be played in short bursts.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Getting an Android tablet was probably the worst thing I could have done to my backlog. Now my list is filling up with Android games and my PC games are going untouched :(

I think it was great on backloggery's part to give the "Confused" title to people with 10 or more games at a time. Keeps reminding me that I need to FOCUS.

Edit: Link for image

Gilgamesh fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 15, 2012

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Buh. Giving up on Painkiller again. Getting sick of enemies spawning behind me, exploding barrels & crates & other such objects (apparently wood is an extremely volatile substance in this world?) with randomly-sized and over-powered blast radii, and enemies sniping at me from a distance when none of my weapons are accurate enough for me to snipe back with without wasting tons of ammo. I have too many games in my backlog for me to waste time on something that I was barely enjoying in the first place.

Been continuing working on Skyrim: Dawnguard, when I'm not randomly getting distracted by other side-quests that I had missed in the base game. And working on a new warrior-type character.

Also trying to get back into Neverwinter Nights 2. I put it on hold a while back because I was just not enjoying it as much as the first game (I suck at micromanaging, plus I was getting sick of enemies respawning in rooms I had already cleared), but I've been in the mood to try it again lately.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Started the first Max Payne the other night since I never properly beat it. The game is a lot more difficult than I remember, and not in a fun way. Dodging is rarely advantageous since you have a recovery period to get up and start firing again, and the enemies are too defensive. There's no way to enter a room with a dude hiding on either side of the doorway without taking a few shots.

Also, you can't move while crouching. This isn't something that happened in other games of that era, is it?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BKPR posted:

Dodging is rarely advantageous since you have a recovery period to get up and start firing again, and the enemies are too defensive. There's no way to enter a room with a dude hiding on either side of the doorway without taking a few shots.

This is correct. Normal 'Bullet Time' (with a dedicated key; accept none of that combo key nonsense) is loads more useful than the Shoot Dodge in a vast majority of situations, especially if you're going against more than one enemy with clear lines of sight to you. Hit Bullet Time just before you enter a new room, and start gunning dudes while zig-zagging around at the same time. If you end up running into a bad position, sideways/backward-roll out of there.

You get more time to the Bullet Time clock with each fallen enemy, and therefore you likely won't run out. Just remember to turn Bullet Time off as soon as you're out of immediate danger.

This is the best strategy for Max Payne 1.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Cool, just beat Dark Messiah: Might and Magic. Overall, I thought it was fun and kicking enemies off of cliffs never got old; however, I don't think I'll be replaying this again. It took me 12 hours to beat. I have no idea what to play next. I do think that I'm going to null my older Civ games, since I have Civ 5. I just don't see the point in playing through 3 or 4 again, even though Civ 3 was the one I invested the most time in.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Beat Avernum: Escape from the Pit. Basically the old Exile wrapped in Avadon's engine. Surprisingly, plays a lot faster and smoother than the sluggish Avadon. I started playing with a "just lemme beat this" attitude and ended up doing all endings and most quests. Recommended for oldschool goodness.

Bioshock or Darkstar One next.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 18, 2012

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Pierzak posted:

Beat Avernum: Escape from the Pit. Basically the old Exile wrapped in Avadon's engine. Surprisingly, plays a lot faster and smoother than the sluggish Avadon. I started playing with a "just lemme beat this" attitude and ended up doing all endings and most quests. Recommended for oldschool goodness.

Bioshock or Darkstar One next.

I haven't played Darkstar One, but I enjoyed playing Bioshock so that gets my vote.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

americanzero4128 posted:

I haven't played Darkstar One, but I enjoyed playing Bioshock so that gets my vote.

I have played Darkstar One and I disliked the main character in that game more than any other game I can remember. The game itself was fine if kinda shallow and repetitive but the protagonist annoyed the poo poo out of me.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Darkstar One became a joke between a few friends and I. As far as I recall, it basically consisted of very similar bandit hunting/cargo retrieving missions with little if any story involved. You might wanna just skip it.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

I finished Neverwinter Nights original campaign. I was all set to complain about the dumb story, the god awful voice acting, the lovely henchman AI or the endless dungeons filled with zombies and enemies immune to sneak attacks/criticals/stuns/everything else and then I got to the final boss and holy poo poo. gently caress whoever came up with that. What an unenjoyable, tedious loving slog of a fight that is. Also not having direct control over your companions is unforgivable for a game where the AI is this bad. I have no idea why I forced myself to play through that but I really wish I hadn't.

I was going to play Shadows of Undrentide since the Assassin class looks to be in line with how I like to play these games but instead I think I'll just keep playing Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 and Iron Brigade since those games are actually good.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

thizzin forever posted:

I finished Neverwinter Nights original campaign.

I think the consensus for the the original campaign is, "It's boring as poo poo,skip it entirely" and that Shadows of Urentide, and it's other expansion has a far better campaign.

I decided to slog through the Original Campaign myself, and it's left such an impression on me that I don't want to try anymore modules.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 20, 2012

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think the consensus for the the original campaign is, "It's boring as poo poo,skip it entirely" and that Shadows of Urentide, and it's previous expansion has a far better campaign.

I decided to slog through the Original Campaign myself, and it's left such an impression on me that I don't want to try anymore modules.

Hordes of the Underdark is actually really REALLY good. At least I thought it was. To me it was just about Baldur's Gate II quality story of good.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think the consensus for the the original campaign is, "It's boring as poo poo,skip it entirely" and that Shadows of Urentide, and it's previous expansion has a far better campaign.

I think I'm the only person who liked the original campaign. Well, maybe "liked" is too strong a word, but I certainly didn't hate it. Though I don't remember if I actually even finished the final boss fight, except with a really high level character. I'm not a fan of Shadows of Urentide, though. Too many sections seemed to be nothing more than the developers going "Look at this awesome poo poo we've added to the game!"

Hordes of the Underdark is pretty much amazing, though.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

The final boss of NWN actually made me forget my biggest complaint prior to that, the endless combat. You get dozens of quests but they all have exactly the same solution: go to this place, kill hundreds of people, come back. Of all the possible solutions to a problem I feel like combat is always the most boring.

Anyway, I fortune cookie'd it and came up with... Record of Agarest War. No idea what this is and I don't remember buying it but from the box art it appears I'm about to embark on some grand anime adventure. The back of the box mentions "Epic battles, bountiful women and a cornucopia of debauchery" as well as something called "soul breeding". The disc has a naked anime girl on it.

I feel like playing this game is going to get me put on some kind of watch list.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Completed Air Conflicts - Secret Wars. It was surprisingly fun once past the slow and boring early missions. Shooting down 50 bombers in one mission means you'll be on your toes all the time. There was a story that I mostly skipped and started following only after half the game was done. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad either, and you got to make a honest to God moral decision that wasn't watered down.

It wasn't bad, but Master of the Skies: The Red Ace and Red Ace Squadron remain the unrivaled masters of this gametype.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Finished up Sonic 2 over the weekend, of all things. I had played it on my Genesis when it originally came out but never actually beat it due to my limited attention span, so I picked up the official emulated version during the last Steam sale. I had to cheat like a motherfucker to get all of the Chaos Emeralds, but it's a bitch to do for good reason, as it trivializes most of the game. It felt nice to put it to rest, but god, gently caress those special stages.

I also finished up Bit Trip Beat-- the last boss fight was awesome enough to mitigate the agony of getting there.

Still working on Darksiders, but I'm close-ish to the end now. I'm definitely glad I picked it back up after being somewhat underwhelmed at first, but I've heard passing mention of a traditional Zelda-style end-game fetch quest that I'm not particularly looking forward to.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Just finished BIT.TRIP BEAT as well. Really didn't enjoy the final boss too much. The pattern recognition and rhythm of the rest of the game is gratifying, but the last boss is just reflexes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Finished: Torchlight. Running as a pet-based Embermage on Hard.

I had a lot of goodwill for this game even if I didn't have a lot of fun playing it at times, because it was very much the type of game I'd make if I had the chance.

That final boss completely blew away all that goodwill though, that poo poo was terrible.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Gilgamesh posted:

Getting an Android tablet was probably the worst thing I could have done to my backlog. Now my list is filling up with Android games and my PC games are going untouched :(

I think it was great on backloggery's part to give the "Confused" title to people with 10 or more games at a time. Keeps reminding me that I need to FOCUS.

Edit: Link for image

Got a Nexus 7 myself. I keep reminding myself I don't need Puzzle Quest or Plants vs Zombies AGAIN.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm about halfway through Red Faction (the original one, from 2001). I'm going to attempt to play through the first, then the second, then Armageddon. I think I should be able to complete the original by Friday and get started on the second this weekend sometime. Making some slow progress on my giant backlog.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm about halfway through Red Faction (the original one, from 2001). I'm going to attempt to play through the first, then the second, then Armageddon.

Armageddon is fun, original is ok, second is terrible. I played three levels of the second game and decided enough is enough.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Just beat Cargo: Quest for Gravity!. It's a bit... umm... :psyduck:. Was quite fun though unexpectedly.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
Just got through GTA IV. The game wasn't as bad as I had heard before I played. It's bad in comparison to the PS2 era GTA's and it's main competitor SR3, but judging purely on it's own merits I thought it wasn't too bad.

My complaints are:
1) I agree with all the complaints people have (friends with activities, dreary story, driving in the ran)
2) I never actually knew Nico's story had two parts to it. That the two people he is chasing from the past is a different story from the one with the Eastern European he used to work for. At least I think they are different. The story was confusing.
3) The moral system has no bearing on anything (apart from cameo appearances later as far as I'm aware)
4) "I need money" - no you loving don't. I have $400k+! :qq: my immersion :qq:
5) ENDING SPOILER - "she didn't deserve this you gently caress" yeah well neither did all those people I shot/ran over during this chase Niko

I'd rate it possible around 6.5/10 because everything just wasn't as good as earlier GTA's.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Been spending a bit more time with MP games than I should, but here's some progress:

Beat Max Payne 3. Did two runs for the main story and it was a hell of a time. There was some annoying glitches here and there, but otherwise pretty solid an experience. Max (the character) is great, the atmosphere of Brazil and its favelas seems to have been captured pretty accurately, and if you are into gun porn, :drat:. Definitively recommend it.

Beat Professor Layton: Lost Future. Finished every single puzzle including the harder challenges. I'll mark it complete after I'm done with the weekly puzzles. Of the three Layton games I played, this is the best one so far. The story was completely insane as usual, the art beautiful, and the puzzles always interesting.

Next, I think I might finally start Dungeon Siege 3 and Wargame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Nulled Hitman: Blood Money. I don't know whether it was the control scheme (didn't click for me) or the ludicrously contrived situations and settings (hey! a conveniently placed freezer in the room that just happens to have yet another faceless minion I need to dispose of!) but after playing the first couple missions I just knew I wasn't going to enjoy it so I gave up. I can see the appeal for some people but it just didn't work for me.

Been playing ArmA 2, which of course I bought to try Day Z but somehow I ended up getting sucked into the Harvest Red campaign without ever actually trying Day Z. The game is definitely buggy and infuriating at times (psychic enemy AI :argh:) but it's also beautiful and affords a measure of open world freedom that I absolutely love and am captivated by. I am now on the 5th (I think) mission, where you have to find the dudes that killed your senior NCO and I just love how incredibly open it is. It's like, "your objective is somewhere out there in this 100 sq km area, here's a Humvee, now go find some intelligence assets and get started." And just driving from place to place with your squad becomes alternately peaceful and relaxing as you drive through forested eastern european hillsides, to instantly terrifying and chaotic when you come under fire from a couple of guerrillas with RPGs hiding in the treeline. The game is much more slow paced and wide open than I expected and I'm really, really enjoying it. I have even replayed a couple of the earlier missions several times to try different tactics and get better at handling my squad, which is why I haven't made it all that far into the campaign despite putting plenty of hours in. Also having played through CoD4 recently, Arma 2 gets right (for me) all the things I hated about that game. It seems like the ArmA campaigns have a bad reputation -- which, don't get me wrong, they are buggy and the voice acting is terrible -- but I think people should really give the game a closer look. If you liked the bleakly beautiful open-world-ness of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., you just might like ArmA 2 as well.

Lamacq fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 24, 2012