Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I don't think it's that bad myself. I mean not good but there's so much worse.

But in the past few years it's gained a reputation of being the most horrific game to come out in the NES era. A game so awful that no one could stand to gaze upon it for long.

I don't think this is true at all. The only reputation I know of is that of an incredibly hard game. I haven't seen too many people saying it was actually bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suspect Battletoads would probably fill that niche better.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Part of the problem is that it was a hatefully-difficult and unforgiving game targeted at children based on what was (at the time) pretty much the biggest Saturday morning cartoon running. It certainly isn't the worst NES game, but games back then had such abysmal standards compared to the 16-bit era that even mediocre ones like TMNT are pretty tough to play these days.

And yeah, I was actually thinking about Battletoads. I can't wait for the apparent two-parter from season 15 to be translated. :allears:

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.
I wish Arino did more of the Megaman games, considering the decline in quality. I'd most like to see him play Faxanadu. It has a high difficulty and plenty of traps.

Random Stranger posted:

Well, he is in front of Nintendo HQ (I'm a touch disturbed that it's gotten to the point that I recognize the building).

I've been there before myself, that's why I asked.

Dinosaur Satan fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 15, 2012

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!
While TMNT is unforgivingly hard, it still has (at least to me) a lot of redeeming value. Now if you were take the worst parts of that game, mix in equal parts Marble Madness, Bart vs. the Space Mutants, and Bayou Billy, then you're close. You could use any bad games, really, Super Monkey whatever is everything bad about video game design.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

jyrque posted:

There's a new made-for-Wii-channel challenge translated by a random Youtuber by the name of DarknessSavior. Linking to his video instead of GamingCX's ripped video because credits should go where credits are due. He's apparently also looking into turning this into an actual project, acknowledging SAGCCX's existence and wishing to translate episodes you guys haven't done yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpGrgdKCFZU

Can anyone provide further comment on this? I thought the translation itself was solid as far as sounding natural and not being filled with errors. Obviously from a presentation side it isn't great but the guy doing it knows this and it was primarily meant to show off his translation skills. So why was he turned down from helping out?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

FireCar posted:

Marble Madness

The arcade Marble Madness was a lot of fun, but I agree it lost something in the translation to home consoles and computers. There was the loss of the trackball, of course, and the much inferior graphics. And of course there was the loss of quality in the excellent music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g2eQeA15-s

...wait, I pasted a Youtube URL into the edit box, and what actually appeared was the forum markup for an embedded video. When did that feature get added?

EDIT: er, skip forward to about 1m50s for the good stuff.

EDIT EDIT: okay, 'excellent' is overstating it. But still, I have some nostalgia for the arcade game.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 15, 2012

the actor Wallace Shawn
Nov 17, 2003

Not sure if this has been asked before, but I've heard this played a bunch of times during episodes and it's driving me crazy trying to figure out what it is. It's played during every victory through episodes 85-100 i think. It's used the most during the Ninja Gaiden 2 playthrough, part 1 from 18:30-18:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIbIFSlsZqA

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh
http://www.dorkly.com/video/25541/dorkly-bits-nes-ninja-turtles-theme-song

I was alright with TMNT, or at least played a ton of it as a kid. But I don't think I ever got past that stupid dam.

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011
I think the american equivalent to super monkey daibouken is Dr. Jekyll and mr. hide. TMNT and battletoads are horrible to some people, but are well designed, they have good graphics and a smooth control. Dr. jekyll is a mess! just as super monkey daibouken.

I know that Dr. Jekyll was also released in japan, but thanks to the AVGN in america it has the same "itīs so bad, you must play it" factor

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Dick Tracy and Who Framed Roger Rabbit both have that whole "Loosely based off source material" and "a complete hopeless maze" feeling that Super Monkey Daibouken have. Ghostbusters also, but to a lesser extent. None of these games have a feeling of progress, which is something that TMNT (fortunately) has. I just can't think of any game as sprawling and vast, and completely empty as SMD. But if I had to say an American NES game was the most like it, Dick Tracy has my vote. I couldn't play more than 5 minutes of that game without getting mowed down trying to find something, anything to do.

Or, if we are talking about a purely maze like hell of a game, Deadly Towers was completely loving unplayable. I think that actually had a Famicom release as Hell's Bells, I hope Arino never has to play that. EDIT: Nevermind, it was released as Mashou (魔鐘) in Japan, but that's close enough.

Hit or miss Clitoris fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 15, 2012

serialrobinson
Oct 29, 2011
The US equivalent of Super Monkey Daibouken is ET for the Atari 2600. There isn't really a universal NES equivalent, aside from LJN's entire library.

Edit: I mean this strictly in a "widely culturally recognized poo poo-heap of a game" sense. Obviously there were tons of unplayable piles of trash released for the NES.

serialrobinson fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 15, 2012

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

serialrobinson posted:

The US equivalent of Super Monkey Daibouken is ET for the Atari 2600. There isn't really a universal NES equivalent, aside from LJN's entire library.

I'm really not sure any piece of software is going to match E.T. for sheer awfulness, ever. I mean, what other game is (partially) credited with (almost) killing off an entire industry?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I'd agree with the above suggestion of Action 52, maybe specifically the Cheetahmen games. Both Cheetahmen and Super Monkey Daibouken have that "Oh God this game is barely functioning on the most basic levels!" feel to them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

pnumoman posted:

I'm really not sure any piece of software is going to match E.T. for sheer awfulness, ever. I mean, what other game is (partially) credited with (almost) killing off an entire industry?

Henry Ford once said that no one videogame causes a collapse, but that collapses happen when all the factors which make for them are ready, at which point they are inevitable.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

serialrobinson posted:

Edit: I mean this strictly in a "widely culturally recognized poo poo-heap of a game" sense. Obviously there were tons of unplayable piles of trash released for the NES.

Yeah, I would say ET is a great comparison as it's a horrible game with very vague objectives that most people don't even know exist.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Yeah, I would say ET is a great comparison as it's a horrible game with very vague objectives that most people don't even know exist.

I actually kind of enjoyed E.T. I even repaired a neighbor's Atari* just so I could play it. ...I might just have had horrible taste as a child. :ohdear:

*One of the pins in the joystick port had been bent out of position and wasn't connecting as a result. I bent it back into position.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

E.T. isn't the worst game of all time and probably doesn't even make the top 10 worst Atari 2600 games from a pure gameplay perspective.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

FredMSloniker posted:

I actually kind of enjoyed E.T. I even repaired a neighbor's Atari* just so I could play it. ...I might just have had horrible taste as a child. :ohdear:

When I first played it I was mystified. The Indian Jones game also had the same effect. You definitely had more patience than me as a child. I typically tried those games, got frustrated and would pop in Pitfall!, Missile Command, River Raid, or Breakout.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003

When I was six or seven, a kid down the street from me told me he had an Atari and the ET game, so I thought "cool, that sounds fun". I went with him to his house and we played it for about an hour.

I never talked to him again.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

FireCar posted:

While TMNT is unforgivingly hard, it still has (at least to me) a lot of redeeming value. Now if you were take the worst parts of that game, mix in equal parts Marble Madness, Bart vs. the Space Mutants, and Bayou Billy, then you're close. You could use any bad games, really, Super Monkey whatever is everything bad about video game design.
So what you're saying is that Super Monkey Daibouken is like the Serpentor of bad video games.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
What gets to me about Super Monkey Daibouken, and maybe I'm giving too much credit, is that it really feels like they wanted to make a sprawling epic that would go through the full tale of the Journey West in detail, having a huge map from China to India with all the episodes of the story laid out along the way. And then maybe they didn't have the skill, or they didn't have the budget, or they ran out of time, or something, but everything more complicated than "SHA GOJO: Okay! I'll join you!" got chopped, leaving them with a huge map full of incomprehensible goals, halfassed combat sequences, and brief, unhelpful messages that are just enough to hint that maybe they were trying to do something more.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

victrix posted:

Not clear why he's playing it, it's not even funny to watch :( So many other more interesting titles they could have chosen that might require viewer input.

It gives them an excuse to play Godiego's Monkey OP&ED. That's more than reason enough.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I think there's a lot more to Super Monkey than everyone's giving it credit for, here. Crap games (Kusoge?) are a phenomena in Japan, from Takeshi's Challenge to Cho Aniki, and they're all intentionally bad.

Everyone calling in says "I remember the ad! It was so epic!" and "I was talking to my girlfriend, and we were laughing about Super Monkey so I decided to play it again!"

It's probably almost a rite of passage, or ironic fondness. Everyone knows they're bad games but that's the point. It's an ironic love. I don't know if there's an equivalent western game... but it's like watching Manos the Hands of Fate, almost, if I'm getting it correctly?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pnumoman posted:

This is what I was talking about with TMNT, BTW.

E.T. is not a horrible game, especially by the standards of the 2600 which has some really monstrous stinkers on it. E.T. did not kill the industry by being awful; it was released two years before the crash. But people keep repeating that it's horrible and so it's gained a reputation for being horrible.

E.T. was symptomatic of the management problems at Atari that caused the crash, though.

BTW, I recommend reading Racing the Beam which is a wonderful book about 2600 game development. It doesn't go in depth about E.T. but there is quite a bit in the book about it.

Mayor McCheese posted:

When I first played it I was mystified. The Indian Jones game also had the same effect. You definitely had more patience than me as a child. I typically tried those games, got frustrated and would pop in Pitfall!, Missile Command, River Raid, or Breakout.

Raiders of the Lost Ark had the same problem as E.T. where you had to have the manual and read it to even loosely grasp what was happening.

Maybe the American Godzilla would be a better comparison than Manos for a movie since it was a big hit that was pretty awful.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 15, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Hey hey heeeyyyyy.

I liked the first TMNT game. :smith:

You should play through the PC version.

The notorious sewer jump in Stage 3 is actually impossible and you can't go further than that legitimately. They DID program the rest of the game, though, oddly enough

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
I thought what gave E.T. its reputation was this.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Mister Chief posted:

Can anyone provide further comment on this? I thought the translation itself was solid as far as sounding natural and not being filled with errors. Obviously from a presentation side it isn't great but the guy doing it knows this and it was primarily meant to show off his translation skills. So why was he turned down from helping out?

Long story short: although he was good at natural-sounding dialogue and he's the best candidate we've had so far, unfortunately he made too many significant and/or simple translation errors for a 15-min video. I spent a good chunk of time fixing his script. When we sent him the fixed translations he tried to argue his case for some of the lines, but his explanations ended up confirming to me that he needs work on his Japanese comprehension/grammar before taking on a project as difficult as this.

He attributed his mistakes to being given a game he wasn't interested in, but that shouldn't matter at all. The mistakes he made were purely about language, not factual errors about the game.

Moving on!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 15, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

"toad-ally croaked"? Maybe it's because I don't have enough caffeine in my veins yet but what is that "croaked" supposed to mean besides being part of an awful awful pun?

Also, Battletoads :dance:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

"Totally stoked"

Look forward to more frog puns. Japan loves frog puns.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Everyone loves frog puns :colbert:

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003

I'm guessing he says the game is fun during stage one or two. No way he says that after the Speed Bike stage.

Welp

Hit or miss Clitoris fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 15, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

No way he says that after the Speed Bike stage

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Battletoads was unusual in that even the murderously difficult part was fun. It just got less fun the 90th time you played it. I dimly recall getting to or past the snakes stage, but I never beat it.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I beat Battletoads a few months ago and it was one of the most harrowing video game experiences I have ever put myself through. poo poo changed the way I think.

At least Arino got to play a slightly easier version, though that won't help much against the latter half of the game. Ecstatic to see this one.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Shockingly I just discovered this due to some mention of it in the Steamgoons IRC channel. And I have to say this is amazing. I'm still working my way through the Prince of Persia episode, but my favourite so far is the Solomon's Key episode. Mostly because of his (semi)swift victory.

Also I can't wait for Toujima to come back and show these guys what for. Sasano's great and all. But then again Toujima.

Nick Nerdface
Jul 28, 2007
I can't think of anything.
Anyone see this yet?

http://tcrf.net/Ganso_Saiyuuki

It seems like one of the developers of Super Monkey Daibouken went off the deep end!

I really like this show! Every time I think I have a favorite episode, I watch another one and it becomes the new favorite.

Actually, scratch that. The USA trip was the best!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FauxGateau posted:

Also I can't wait for Toujima to come back and show these guys what for. Sasano's great and all. But then again Toujima.

You're in luck then since Toujima is the AD who has appeared on the show the most. They can't get rid of that guy.

BAKOON
Feb 1, 2008

the fart doctor

Random Stranger posted:

You're in luck then since Toujima is the AD who has appeared on the show the most. They can't get rid of that guy.

I feel like Urakawa is around a lot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I think it's more like he can't get rid of the show.