Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The Epic 4G Touch is Sprint's version of the SG2 correct? If so do not take the EVO OG as a replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesseract_
Aug 19, 2004
That's correct. He refused the Evo 4G. I'll just have him call/complain/talk to a supervisor until he gets something reasonable.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
It is definitely not the LTE version - there are non-LTE to LTE replacements due to changes in monthly fees by making that switch. The OG EVO is the only option available right now, and not due to a surplus, but if he escalates enough I'd be willing to bet a supervisor can find something else.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Aredna posted:

The OG EVO is the only option available right now, and not due to a surplus, but if he escalates enough I'd be willing to bet a supervisor can find something else.
So in other words, having TEP on an Evo 3D or E4GT is pretty much useless now because when (as?) they run out of those devices you can't get bumped up, so you're going to be stuck with an OG Evo or Epic or something?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So in other words, having TEP on an Evo 3D or E4GT is pretty much useless now because when (as?) they run out of those devices you can't get bumped up, so you're going to be stuck with an OG Evo or Epic or something?

Both will probably be available again in the near future, it's mostly parts shortages for repairs in the overall market causing the problems.

You are correct about getting bumped up to an LTE device though. I would be surprised if that ever happens. People tend not to be very happy when they suddenly are paying more per month and possibly a higher deductible as well as part of the replacement process.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I just phoned in a claim for my wife's 3D yesterday - they were out then, but I called today, and they were in stock. Lucky day!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Sab0921 posted:

Since my ICS upgrade on the Evo3D, I can't open my text messages, it's just constantly loading. Any ideas on what happened?

Some people have had luck shooting and waiting. I didn't, but I had never deleted a text message since I got the phone at release. Wiping text messages fixed it for me.

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005
So is the EVO LTE worth getting right now? I'm up for renewal on my EVO 4g and wondering if I should go for the LTE, or wait longer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CombatCupcake posted:

So is the EVO LTE worth getting right now? I'm up for renewal on my EVO 4g and wondering if I should go for the LTE, or wait longer.

If you want an android phone now is a good time to buy, the evo LTE and S3 are both relatively new. I honestly might recommend the S3 over the Evo, but so far my girl has been using her evo and loving it, son I think they are both fine.

If you want an iPhone wait for the new one.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Cell phone companies are not likely to go "oh, we are out of stock, let's give you a replacement that is a step up to fix it (Verizon seems to sometimes be the exception). It sucks, but that is how they approach it.

I would definitely advise anyone to escalate any retarded ness like being offered an Evo replace a Galaxy 2. It is very likely inventory issues, but of course its just not great for customers.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 15, 2012

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm starting to think there's some reason Sprint is going to have to prematurely EOL the Galaxy Nexus. Just straight up "no, we never carried it why would you ask" burying it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

I'm starting to think there's some reason Sprint is going to have to prematurely EOL the Galaxy Nexus. Just straight up "no, we never carried it why would you ask" burying it.

The Nexus had never sold well in past generations and the Galaxy hasn't either.

Regular people don't like the Nexus. It doesn't look enough like their old HTC phone. Honestly, Nexus phones have a really high return rate.

Therefore, why should Sprint care and push this phone? Those who want it will buy it, those who don't know what it is (most people) should buy a Galaxy 3 or iPhone.

Most people buy an iphone either way. I hope to God Sprint gets the 5 (in theory they should).

All this complaining about Sprint not caring about the Nexus is both fairly accurate, and retarded since it's kind of a "well duh" response to me.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
I feel the nexus is a little less user friendly also. Little things like the need to individualy close each application instead of having the remove all button on the gs3. The lack of the menu button also isn't very intuitive for people who have ever used android in the past. I know it's the official direction Google is taking but I still like to have the button.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why are you closing apps anyway? Android's memory management is quite good now. The menu button itself was horribly unintuitive since it was never clear if it would do anything or when it would do it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Endless Mike posted:

Why are you closing apps anyway? Android's memory management is quite good now. The menu button itself was horribly unintuitive since it was never clear if it would do anything or when it would do it.

I had to do it nonstop to the NBC olympics streaming app, since it'd error out hourly with 'invalid bitrate' and you had to force close the fucker to get the error to go away.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

I had to do it nonstop to the NBC olympics streaming app, since it'd error out hourly with 'invalid bitrate' and you had to force close the fucker to get the error to go away.

That's not at all what he's talking about, though.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Endless Mike posted:

I have some games that don't load properly when they aren't closed every once and a while. Also it's harder for me to jump in and out if apps that I actually use when there are 20 apps cluttering the list that I may check once a day.

Also I agree for new users the menu button is confusing but having used it for years now I like having it.

Also integrating the widgets into the app drawer is a good idea but swiping at the end if the app pages should either roll over to the beginig or just stop. Swiping into the widgets pages confuses a lot of newer users.

While I've pitched plenty of nexuses to customers looking at the 99 price point I've only ever sold them to neck beards asking specifically for them. It sits right next to the galaxy S2 and s3 and if people stick to their budget they usually grab the s2 despite the nexus being a better phone.

Edit: Also 5Mp camera wtf.

Endless Mike posted:

That's not at all what he's talking about, though.

I understand how android works but I don't need a bunch of clutter for the principle of the matter. If I want to close my apps for whatever back assward reason I want it is nice to be able to do so easily.

Giblet fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 15, 2012

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Loucks posted:

"While you can?" Is there some way for Sprint to shut down rooted tethering? That would be a pain. I'm in the process of rooting my E3D so I can tether, put widgets in the drawer (why the hell this requires root is beyond me!), and use tor properly. Oh, and eventually install a vanilla Android build (AOSP? I think that's the term.) once it is stable, i.e., never, since no one is developing for my EOL phone.

drat. I should just buy out my contract and get a new Nexus when it comes out.

Off-topic: Congratulations on the marriage. Best thing I've ever done other than having a kid. Your results may vary, but I hope not.

You don't have to root to tether. You just use FoxFi.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Jensen posted:

Too late! But there are other perfectly good reasons to root, like ad blocking. I still haven't found an ad blocker that works all the time though. The solution is probably just to stop playing zynga's crappy games.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jensen posted:

Foxfi doesn't work with my S3 for some reason.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Loucks posted:

Some people have had luck shooting and waiting. I didn't, but I had never deleted a text message since I got the phone at release. Wiping text messages fixed it for me.

I ended up doing a hard reset, and it worked after that. But, I lost all contacts, and it only saved those that had been sent to me by v-card at some point.

Are all the remaining phone numbers actually lost? This is supremely frustrating.

Edit: Also my battery life is now non-existent. What a lovely "upgrade"

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Sab0921 posted:

I ended up doing a hard reset, and it worked after that. But, I lost all contacts, and it only saved those that had been sent to me by v-card at some point.

Are all the remaining phone numbers actually lost? This is supremely frustrating.

Edit: Also my battery life is now non-existent. What a lovely "upgrade"

You probably never merged the numbers moved from your old phone with your Google account. You can try selecting import from sd incase someone backed them up to it along the line if phone book transfers. Also if you gave an old phone a store can transfer those numbers over also.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

Most people buy an iphone either way. I hope to God Sprint gets the 5 (in theory they should).

If Sprint didn't get the new iPhone I would at least switch my line to Verizon. That said I am pretty sure not an issue. Just get ready for the ads that are going to tout the only company with unlimited 4G for the iPhone. Only issue is you got to find the 4G first.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
For those having battery issues after the ICS update: I've got a SG2E4GT and ever since the update, my battery life straight up sucks. I turned off Wi-Fi while sleeping, and I am noting a marked improvement.

Go into your phone’s Applications and open up the Settings menu.
Tap the entry that says “Wi-Fi”.
Tap the button on the front of your phone that is to the left of the “Home” button (the one that looks like half a box with two lines.)
The word “Advanced” will pop up – tap it.
Tap where it says “Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep” and choose “Only when plugged in.”
You can now exit out of Settings and return to the Home screen.

My battery still drains fast because of where I am, but at least the phone isn't almost dead after three hours of non-use.

Someone mentioned that there is an issue with the phone not going into deep-sleep mode. This seems to be correct, but they were citing the message light as the cause. I tried disabling the light, but it made no difference. Once I turned off Wi-Fi while sleeping, Better Battery Stats tells me that the phone is actually going into deep-sleep.

I've adjusted my wife's phone and told my father-in-law to make the change on his phone as well. If you do this and it works, let me know - I'm curious to see if others see a difference.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

If Sprint didn't get the new iPhone I would at least switch my line to Verizon. That said I am pretty sure not an issue. Just get ready for the ads that are going to tout the only company with unlimited 4G for the iPhone. Only issue is you got to find the 4G first.

For me personally its the lull before he storm that sucks. As in, the month before launch is extremely slow. The month of launch more than makes up for it, but dear God does will September probably suck work wise.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

berzerkmonkey posted:

For those having battery issues after the ICS update: I've got a SG2E4GT and ever since the update, my battery life straight up sucks. I turned off Wi-Fi while sleeping, and I am noting a marked improvement.

Go into your phone’s Applications and open up the Settings menu.
Tap the entry that says “Wi-Fi”.
Tap the button on the front of your phone that is to the left of the “Home” button (the one that looks like half a box with two lines.)
The word “Advanced” will pop up – tap it.
Tap where it says “Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep” and choose “Only when plugged in.”
You can now exit out of Settings and return to the Home screen.

My battery still drains fast because of where I am, but at least the phone isn't almost dead after three hours of non-use.

Someone mentioned that there is an issue with the phone not going into deep-sleep mode. This seems to be correct, but they were citing the message light as the cause. I tried disabling the light, but it made no difference. Once I turned off Wi-Fi while sleeping, Better Battery Stats tells me that the phone is actually going into deep-sleep.

I've adjusted my wife's phone and told my father-in-law to make the change on his phone as well. If you do this and it works, let me know - I'm curious to see if others see a difference.

Huh. Well that's a weird thing to have not work right. I will have to check that out on my Mom's phone. Also I was one of the guys that mentioned the notification light being a problem, and after changing it to stay off there is a marked improvement in battery life. Problem is my Mom hates not having the light, so if this works enough to make her happy with the battery life on its own then she can have her notification light back.

Thanks for the heads up.

Also I leaned that her battery life issues weren't as severe originally as I thought. Turns out she had to plug it in EVERY NIGHT (the horror) instead of every other night with GB. I mean that's some serious reduced battery life, but not unmanageable for her.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
So far no carrier has picked up the iPhone then dropped it; I'm quite sure the Apple deal was for multiple models over its term.

Sprint is up to 1700 towers complete but we have confirmation that more are online but waiting for minor tweaks before being listed complete. Sprint says its over 2,000 and that seems to fit. Only half the towers scheduled each week actually get marked complete so Sprint had better light a fire under it this month. July was the first real high deployment month and if they dont start keeping the schedule they will be too far behind to have any hope of meeting their dates.

The good news is that towers are being completed every week so it will eventually get finished.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Is Sprint 's online coverage map showing what areas will be getting 4g or what their current deployment is? I'm in a 4g area, but actual coverage is basically only at malls and similar areas right now

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
Sprint will without a doubt be getting the new iphone. I don't see how some of you could even questions that. They have a $15 billion contract with apple. You don't put that type of cash on the table without a guarantee of some sorts.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Giblet posted:

Little things like the need to individualy close each application instead of having the remove all button on the gs3.
I hate the remove all button though, it's so easy to hit by accident and *POOF*. I'm not sure I agree that they should have it in the first place, but if they were going to add it a confirmation dialog might've been advisable.

Endless Mike posted:

The menu button itself was horribly unintuitive since it was never clear if it would do anything or when it would do it.
Perhaps that's so. However the only time I find it particularly unintuitive was it's use in the Settings menu, like to pull up the Advanced Wi-Fi page. And the reason it's unintuitive there is because Settings itself is a menu. Why would I press the menu button in a menu? They could've just added the Advanced setting button at the bottom of the scroll list.

I guess they could've fixed that and it still would be a problem though.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
Sprint finally upgraded towers near my house, and I was thrilled. Then I got a new job this week, and I was thrilled to see great reception at my desk. First time I've ever had full bars at work. Then I tried to use the Internet during breaks, and I got nothing. I downloaded a speed test app when I went home, and today found that on 3g I am getting 26 kbps down with an 877 ms ping. I get a huge 178 kbps up though, Yay!

Sprint's map shows completed upgrades, but is there any way to see if they will be fixing things in my area soon? I don't want to live with sub dial up speeds for too long, I might get a cheap phone and prepaid plan for another network if it will be a while.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

bigpolar posted:

Sprint finally upgraded towers near my house, and I was thrilled. Then I got a new job this week, and I was thrilled to see great reception at my desk. First time I've ever had full bars at work. Then I tried to use the Internet during breaks, and I got nothing. I downloaded a speed test app when I went home, and today found that on 3g I am getting 26 kbps down with an 877 ms ping. I get a huge 178 kbps up though, Yay!

Sprint's map shows completed upgrades, but is there any way to see if they will be fixing things in my area soon?

According to S4GRU, backhaul is running on average 6 weeks behind the tower upgrades. There are a ton of upgraded "NV" towers around me that spit out dial-up speeds and it's frustrating as hell. You'll know when the backhaul hits though, because on completely finished towers my 3G speeds push 1.5mbps+.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sperg Victorious posted:

Is Sprint 's online coverage map showing what areas will be getting 4g or what their current deployment is? I'm in a 4g area, but actual coverage is basically only at malls and similar areas right now

Pretty sure it's only showing what is already in place and turned on (and is probably outdated anyway). Los Angeles isn't showing any LTE for me, yet supposedly they are around 20% done with the updates and are on track to launch that market with partial coverage some time in October/November.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sprint's website is offering $100 Amex gift cards for purchasing smartphones online right now. I want to sign up for EPRP, does anyone know if I can get the Amex gift cards if I signup with EPRP instead of a regular plan?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Deathlove posted:

I just phoned in a claim for my wife's 3D yesterday - they were out then, but I called today, and they were in stock. Lucky day!

Lol, got the replacement today, and it's a 4G. Calling Asurion got me the "it will never be back in stock" response. Hooray. :effort:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

CombatCupcake posted:

I just got one a few weeks ago and I love it so far. I upgraded from an Epic 4G, so a lot of what I like is due to ICS, but the screen is beautiful and the camera is excellent (burst mode is really handy). The battery life has been great so far, too.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Would the howardforums be a good place to buy a sero phone plan off of? I have one but my buddy is looking around for a plan like mine for his sister. He also had sero, if that helps.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

CaptainRightful posted:

I just got one a few weeks ago and I love it so far. I upgraded from an Epic 4G, so a lot of what I like is due to ICS, but the screen is beautiful and the camera is excellent (burst mode is really handy). The battery life has been great so far, too.
The camera is fantastic, but the aggressive task killing that Sense does is frustrating me to no end:

1. If you want to copy and paste more than one piece of information into a web form, good luck - once you switch apps to copy info, when you switch back, the web page with the form will reload. Sucks to be you!

2. I can't run Tasker in the background without an icon -- I have to enable "Run in Foreground", because otherwise Sense kills it and it constantly restarts itself, reevaluates conditions, reapplies profiles every few minutes. Widgetlocker seems to be hit or miss regarding running it purely in the background with a drat notification icon.

There are some helpful tips regarding multitouch not working (again, becasue of Sense customization called "HTC gestures") and other things I didn't know that you could play around with, even coming from an original Evo 4G.

Here it is: F.A.Q.s - Massive Question Round Up Thread [UPDATE: 8/9/2012]

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

SpelledBackwards posted:

The camera is fantastic, but the aggressive task killing that Sense does is frustrating me to no end:

1. If you want to copy and paste more than one piece of information into a web form, good luck - once you switch apps to copy info, when you switch back, the web page with the form will reload. Sucks to be you!

2. I can't run Tasker in the background without an icon -- I have to enable "Run in Foreground", because otherwise Sense kills it and it constantly restarts itself, reevaluates conditions, reapplies profiles every few minutes. Widgetlocker seems to be hit or miss regarding running it purely in the background with a drat notification icon.

There are some helpful tips regarding multitouch not working (again, becasue of Sense customization called "HTC gestures") and other things I didn't know that you could play around with, even coming from an original Evo 4G.

Here it is: F.A.Q.s - Massive Question Round Up Thread [UPDATE: 8/9/2012]

Thanks for the link. I hate WidgetLocker and haven't had a need for Tasker yet, so I hadn't run into these issues. The "drag icon into the ring" Sense lockscreen seems nice and intuitive to me.

The on-screen menu button is annoying, but that should disappear as all the apps update for ICS. I also noticed that apps stay in the multitasking queue for a really long time--it never seems to affect performance, but it's slightly annoying when I just want to switch between 2 or 3 recently used apps.

Of course, these are OS issues, not hardware ones. The build quality on this phone seems top-notch. I also appreciate a real camera button.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

bradzilla posted:

Sprint's website is offering $100 Amex gift cards for purchasing smartphones online right now. I want to sign up for EPRP, does anyone know if I can get the Amex gift cards if I signup with EPRP instead of a regular plan?

I highly doubt it. There is no mention of it while shopping the eprp website or in the promotions section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thisdude23 posted:

Would the howardforums be a good place to buy a sero phone plan off of? I have one but my buddy is looking around for a plan like mine for his sister. He also had sero, if that helps.

They won't do SERO transfer of liabilities is the problem, so its more a matter of "they won't let him do it." I am guesingrhey wouldn't let him add her on as a SERO line, but they will let her do EPRP for sure.