Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Bake off rules, scrapheap drools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Bring back the Great Egg Race and use the eggs for a bake off at the end of the show.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
gently caress it, get that creepy doctor guy with the hat to host a show where you build a living human out of dead body parts. :unsmigghh:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

gently caress it, get that creepy doctor guy with the hat to host a show where you build a living human out of dead body parts. :unsmigghh:

Betcha that next week on the Bake-Off someone makes a Victoria Sponge cake that -when cut open- reveals a perfectly scaled down replica of the human digestive system, with a little pancreas made from coffe cream, a raspberry syllabub stomach, and meringue lungs. And when you cut a slice it poos chocolate.

Perfect combination of :unsmigghh: and :3:, would keep everyobody happy, apart from Kin. He could have a cake made to look like Meccano. Or Meccano made to look like cake...

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Irisi posted:

Betcha that next week on the Bake-Off someone makes a Victoria Sponge cake that -when cut open- reveals a perfectly scaled down replica of the human digestive system, with a little pancreas made from coffe cream, a raspberry syllabub stomach, and meringue lungs. And when you cut a slice it poos chocolate.

Perfect combination of :unsmigghh: and :3:, would keep everyobody happy, apart from Kin. He could have a cake made to look like Meccano. Or Meccano made to look like cake...

You're assuming that Kin can feel happiness.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Sion posted:

He lives in Dundee, the only emotion he's capable of is despair.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I didn't know that the Great British Bake Off was starting again today, so it was a nice surprise when I spotted it in the guide. I felt a bit bad for the woman who went out (Natasha, just found the profiles), I thought the bloke (Stuart?) who did the tomato upside-down cake and a horrible looking unionjack should have gone. Not knowing how to cook a yeast cake Rum Baba seemed like the lesser of two evils, but then she did also gently caress up her sponge by squashing it into uncooked denseness.

Early Predictions: (Contestants profiles here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013pqnm/profiles/bakers - so I don't have to try and convey who I mean with weird descriptions)

Sarah-Jane will be the one who starts well but limps out earlier than people thought.

Cathryn will be a bit shaky on nerves but be pretty meticulous on technique, possible last 3?

I think Brendan is a possible winner although I don't know why.

Manisha will probably improve as the contest goes on, and Victoria will be the "consistently good but doesn't up her game" contestant.

Peter (the one with the good Union Jack) could be a dark horse too.

The 'experimental' lad with the parsnip cake (I think it's James) will be entertaining even it's only for a few disasters, but I hope he has a few spectacularly interesting and good rounds to go with it

But who knows. It really is a bit early to tell, and they all seem a like a nice enough bunch, even if I did keep getting them a bit mixed up.

It's a bit annoying that after the excitement of the Rum Babas and the design cakes, I can't remember much about the different Upsidedown cakes. I guess they were the best indicator of early baking talent, but they rushed through them a bit quickly.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Flatscan posted:

I'm a recovering Dundonian.

I can occasionally manage post traumatic manic smiling.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Flatscan posted:

I'm in Edinburgh now. The despair is slowly fading away to reveal a distaste of all things posh.

Dundee broke me.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Edinburgh is posh apparently.

Do you think that if Kin ever visited, say, Kensington he'd just detonate on impact with a peacock?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ben Soosneb posted:

Cathryn will be a bit shaky on nerves but be pretty meticulous on technique, possible last 3?

Cathryn will last until somebody the other end of the kitchen drops a pan. She'll spend the next three months suffering shell-shock.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Is there a singular more depressing thing in this world than talking to your parents and them raving about this new comedy show they've found.

Mrs Browns Boys.

:|

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Irisi posted:

and then "Great British Make Stuff"!

Great British Turn Off.

Sion posted:

He's just a robot wanting shows about robots guys.

Great British Bake Off was amazing! Never seen it before. The liverpudlian judge has some great jibes. I knew the caramel cage would upset him! That cage fella in particular seems like an excellent baker who can't restrain himself from showing off.

Giedroyc posted:

Is there a singular more depressing thing in this world than talking to your parents and them raving about this new comedy show they've found.

Mrs Browns Boys.

Yes, when it's your twentysomething friends doing it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Cathryn will last until somebody the other end of the kitchen drops a pan. She'll spend the next three months suffering shell-shock.

You mean SHELF SHOCK right?

I'll get my coat.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Giedroyc posted:

Mrs Browns Boys.

A few friends of mine in their early 20s seem to love this freaking show. A group of them went to see it on tour. They're pretty intelligent in general, I don't get it!

It always reminds me of one of my favourite King of the Hill moments. Peggy is explaining that British comedy is so sophisticated and difficult to understand, and Bobby replies with a deadpan: "That man is wearing a dress."

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

netally posted:

A few friends of mine in their early 20s seem to love this freaking show. A group of them went to see it on tour. They're pretty intelligent in general, I don't get it!

They love it because it's funny.

Giedroyc posted:

Mrs Browns Boys.

No this is definitely the most depressing thing that is possible to happen.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Giedroyc posted:

Mrs Browns Boys.

When my parents told me they liked Come Fly With Me, and how they particularly enjoyed the lack of political correctness.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
It looks like Celebrity Big Brother is being launched tonight, I've missed the start, but so far I recognise Julian Clary and someone from Coronation Street.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Julian is already 100 times more interesting than everybody else in the house

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I enjoyed it when the page 3 girl asked the Jersey Shore guy if their version was as poo poo as ours.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Sion posted:

Do you think that if Kin ever visited, say, Kensington he'd just detonate on impact with a peacock?

I'm from Dundee (or nearabouts) too. I went to Oxford once. It was... odd.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Sion posted:

Many places are posher than Edinburgh, but it's still loving posh.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Is anyone here a Linux user, and can you still play 4oD stuff? I've noticed an increasing amount of stuff just gives me a black-screen after the adverts have successfully played. At first it was just certain US programmes that failed, but now it's everything. Google suggests it's do with a switch to some new file format (f4f) but there's surprisingly little chat about it.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Dicky B posted:

Julian is already 100 times more interesting than everybody else in the house

Must admit, that surprised me, him being on there. I doubt he will last the week, given his propensity for anxiety attacks. I knew Julie Goodyear, him, Wassisname from Spandau Ballet, and the fat lass off Eastenders. I'm so behind the culture curve. Oh, and that gobshite Nolan.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I can imagine Situation wondering why he's the only celebrity in there. Hope Martin Kemp wins; at least he doesn't have his son to gently caress it up for him like on the Million Pound Drop.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

netally posted:

They're pretty intelligent in general, I don't get it!
It's almost as if comedy taste is subjective. Don't worry, you can just watch your Stewart Lee DVDs while the Mrs Brown quiz show is on.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Is anyone here a Linux user, and can you still play 4oD stuff? I've noticed an increasing amount of stuff just gives me a black-screen after the adverts have successfully played. At first it was just certain US programmes that failed, but now it's everything. Google suggests it's do with a switch to some new file format (f4f) but there's surprisingly little chat about it.

Works fine for me, I think it's Ubuntu we've got and firefox browser. I've not been able to watch the last episode of Ricky Gervais on it, but then I tried on the windows laptop and it didn't work there either so guessing it's just broken. But everything else we've wanted to watch has worked fine.

I did notice that the compulsory adverts stopped after a month or so, like adblock had started blocking them again.

Edit: Don't know if this makes a difference but the laptop hasn't been updated for like a year or something (it's only used for half an hour a night to watch something before we go to sleep) and there's pages of updates that we should probably go through at one point - maybe one of those would have screwed it up?

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 16, 2012

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

You mean SHELF SHOCK right?

I'll get my coat.

I keep meaning to ask, why is your custom title a combination of Sharpe and Ctrl-Alt-Delete?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I keep meaning to ask, why is your custom title a combination of Sharpe and Ctrl-Alt-Delete?

Maybe he's trying to heal and move on over Obadiah Hakeswill?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The CAD Mock thread was the first thread that finally convinced me to join the forums, along with its edits.

Giedroyc posted:

Maybe he's trying to heal and move on over Obadiah Hakeswill?

We should all be mourning the loss of Peter Postlethwait still :smith:.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

The CAD Mock thread was the first thread that finally convinced me to join the forums, along with its edits.

We should all be mourning the loss of Peter Postlethwait still :smith:.

That was three years ago? gently caress. I'm not sure what's more depressing, how much time has past, or that I use nerd ephemera to count the years.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I remember seeing him in The Town, Clash of the Titans and Inception all in the space of months and was really excited for a comeback of sorts. :smith:

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Handsome Dead posted:

I remember seeing him in The Town, Clash of the Titans and Inception all in the space of months and was really excited for a comeback of sorts. :smith:
Does his character die in CotT? Great actor, but it kind of sucked that he got cast to play a dead guy months before he passed.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Works fine for me, I think it's Ubuntu we've got and firefox browser. I've not been able to watch the last episode of Ricky Gervais on it, but then I tried on the windows laptop and it didn't work there either so guessing it's just broken. But everything else we've wanted to watch has worked fine.
Turned out I had a very out of date Flash install, upgrading fixed it. Strangely, the inbuilt version in Chrome, which is a newer version than available as a plugin, still won't play the videos.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Why is Ian Beale on Eastenders still wearing that hat? I know it's to keep the poo poo wig on and to sensitively remind the audience that he is still suffering from mental hoboism, but do any of the other characters ever tell him he's indoors now so he can take it off?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Shelf Adventure posted:

Why is Ian Beale on Eastenders still wearing that hat? I know it's to keep the poo poo wig on and to sensitively remind the audience that he is still suffering from mental hoboism, but do any of the other characters ever tell him he's indoors now so he can take it off?

Yeah, but if he didn't wear the hat how would he portray his inner turmoil? He'd have to use acting or something.

Will Ben Mitchell go to jail? Will this storyline ever bloody end?

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I can't believe the BBC just tried to promote a show by saying "Will Mellor's back." I really didn't know anyone gave a care about that wool.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Come on BBC, just go loving nuts with EastEnders. It is the only way now. Turning the thing into a farce would actually make it more cheerful at this point.

Have time machine Nazis invade and a crossover with Doctor Who and turn Phil into a jolly drug addicted Scarfare and you'll get those precious ratings.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

SeanBeansShako posted:

Come on BBC, just go loving nuts with EastEnders. It is the only way now. Turning the thing into a farce would actually make it more cheerful at this point.

Have time machine Nazis invade and a crossover with Doctor Who and turn Phil into a jolly drug addicted Scarfare and you'll get those precious ratings.

Parallel Earth Nice Phil Mitchell and evil genius Ian Beale. Writes itself.

Evil Ian Beale must dress and do his hair like Anthony Ainley era Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Giedroyc posted:

Parallel Earth Nice Phil Mitchell

He'd require crack to stay strong and a good father.