Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
If they're at Wal-Mart they're terrible end of discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That's been my assumption, but just wondered since they talked them up so much on MasterChef. I know that's all product placement, but if they were really terrible it seems like one of the three chefs that were talking them up would have put their foot down.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

criscodisco posted:

I haven't bought any sort of non-canned food at Wal-Mart in a long time, but I keep seeing commercials and constant product placement on MasterChef about new steaks they have that you can get your money back on if they aren't fantastic.

I'm very skeptical, but has anyone tried them?

USDA Choice is USDA Choice. Whether it is from Walmart, Publix, Kroger's or whatever it's all pretty much interchangeable. There aren't really grades of choice.

Никогда не доверяйте толстому полицейскому или тощему повару

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

criscodisco posted:

That's been my assumption, but just wondered since they talked them up so much on MasterChef. I know that's all product placement, but if they were really terrible it seems like one of the three chefs that were talking them up would have put their foot down.

You may be under estimating the allure of cash. I wouldn't put it past any of them to sacrifice any of their culinary principles for a sack of money.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

LongSack posted:

USDA Choice is USDA Choice. Whether it is from Walmart, Publix, Kroger's or whatever it's all pretty much interchangeable. There aren't really grades of choice.

At my local Walmart they have USDA Choice, and then they have "USDA Inspected" which is the store brand in the fancier wrapper. Mentally I call this one "USDA Inspected....and rejected" but I don't suppose it's actively poisonous or anything.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

LongSack posted:

There are of course grades of animal treatment and environmental impact of the suppliers. You can probably be safe assuming the steaks at Walmart are from Cargill or Tyson or somewhere equally as awful.

Here's a fun thing about USDA grades. They aren't the end all. They are pretty much based on marbling. Funny thing about marbling is that it is a byproduct of the "finishing" of the beef. This means that the fancy grass fed stuff at whole foods? Unless they're grain finished, they will not be marbled well and therefore not be graded highly.

So comes the tradeoff. Texture for flavor. Marbling brings you great tenderness but it comes at the expense of a great flavor from a grass fed cow. Unfortunately, with grass fed beef comes seasonal variance and inconsistency from steak to steak.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Since it's hard to get dried chilies in any significant quantity or variety where I live (ohio), are there any sites that you guys would recommend for ordering bulk dried chilies?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Where do you live in Ohio? There's probably a place around.

Or you can try mexgrocer.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Where do you live in Ohio? There's probably a place around.

Or you can try mexgrocer.

It's the dayton area. Off the top of my head I know Jungle Jim's and Dorothy Lane would both have at least some dried chilies (hilariously overpriced though). I've been looking around for a mexican grocer as well, but I'm not too sure if there are any ones with decent selection in the area. :(

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I have several jars of pickled garlic in white vinegar sitting in the refrigerator. Besides dumping them all, what would be the best way to use them up?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shukaro posted:

It's the dayton area. Off the top of my head I know Jungle Jim's and Dorothy Lane would both have at least some dried chilies (hilariously overpriced though). I've been looking around for a mexican grocer as well, but I'm not too sure if there are any ones with decent selection in the area. :(

I'm from Dayton originally. The Kroger at Dorothy Lane and Far Hills has a whole Mexican section that includes a variety of dried chilies. There are also several Mexican grocers around town, they're frequently Mexican and Asian combined for whatever reason. There's one of those Mexiasian ones in the mall on Woodman right across from Wright-Patt, next to all the USAF housing area. Airway shopping center I think. There's another right near there up the hill on Airway road, going away from the base, and another on Linden if you're going west from Smithville. Those are just the ones I know off-hand in my old neighborhood, I'm sure there are plenty of others.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I want to do a slider trio for a party I'm having soon and so far I have A. Standard hamburger with spinach, tomato, and mayo, and B. Blue cheese burger with caramelized onion and mustard. Any ideas for a third slider that would go well with the other two?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

loopsheloop posted:

I want to do a slider trio for a party I'm having soon and so far I have A. Standard hamburger with spinach, tomato, and mayo, and B. Blue cheese burger with caramelized onion and mustard. Any ideas for a third slider that would go well with the other two?

foie gras pate with grilled figs. sundried tomato pesto, burrata, and basil. Hot bean sauce, scallions, grilled shiitakes. Ssamjang mayonnaise, rice wine vinegar pickled cucumbers, shiso. Fried squash blossoms stuffed with goat cheese, chimichurri. Romesco sauce and grilled leeks.

Edit: Harissa and fried sunny side up egg.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 15, 2012

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

They can and usually do contain a bit of cabbage, mostly for texture. As far as tried and true recipe, I cook my jiao zi based on texture and feel. We're you going to use store bought wrappers? If so it's super easy. Just get ground pork (not lean pork). Mix in some minced fresh ginger, garlic, onion, some minced cabbage, scallions, a bit of cornstarch, white pepper, salt, sesame oil, and light soy. Mix thoroughly and keep mixing until the mixture becomes pasty, this will help you get the texture you want. You can also add or exchange shiitake mushrooms, leeks, woodear mushrooms, etc.

Thanks GrAviTy! I was kind of hoping for an answer from you after all the pics I've seen from the 'I did something awesome' thread. We're going to go the easy route with store bought wrappers this time but once we figure out the filling I'll probably try my hand at making the wrappers.

tarepanda posted:

Depends on what you want.

Thanks for this as well. I feel better about what I've been eating, lol.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

loopsheloop posted:

B.*E.L.T.
*Quail egg.

Mushroom and swiss is another classic; you could fancy it up with Gruyere and wild mushrooms.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I bought a big jar of pickled hot peppers for a garnish on nachos, and I still have about 3/4 of the jar left. What are some dishes I could make to use these up?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
So I'm nuts about macaroni and cheese. I love it both stovetop and baked styles. But I want 2 new things from my mac. I want a mac and cheese I can prep ahead of time and then store for a quick meal later. Also a mac and cheese that gets away from the usual roux based recipes.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

So I'm nuts about macaroni and cheese. I love it both stovetop and baked styles. But I want 2 new things from my mac. I want a mac and cheese I can prep ahead of time and then store for a quick meal later. Also a mac and cheese that gets away from the usual roux based recipes.

I haven't tried it myself yet, but the way Heston does a cheese sauce seems pretty nice, and not horribly complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxcIQOAaB24

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cyril Sneer posted:

I bought a big jar of pickled hot peppers for a garnish on nachos, and I still have about 3/4 of the jar left. What are some dishes I could make to use these up?

I chop them and add them to my burrito fillings, mix it into mac and cheese, scrambled eggs/omelettes.

If you are feeling adventurous (and are we talking Jalapenos here?) you could make a hot pepper jelly/jam. I've always wanted to make a Jalapeno sauce that would work as an ice cream topping. Maybe add a little chocolate as well.

I may be watching a bit too much Chopped lately though.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I have some meat that has a use/freeze by date of 6/17. I froze it wayyy before that. So is it okay to eat? I'm guessing so. I want to use it for meatloaf for dinner.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep. Meat will keep in the freezer for a long time. It will generally get freezer burned before it goes bad.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I have a rack of bb ribs and a lamb shank defrosted.
I wanted to braise, then finish on the grill, both of them.
Because of some scheduling conflicts, one of them needs to go in the slow cooker tomorrow instead.

Which?

edit. Well, gently caress you guys. Thanks.
Actually, it didn't matter because I forgot to do a rub for the ribs so I just did the lamb.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 16, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm going to pick up some Shao Xing wine mainly to make this

Is Shao Xing a brand or is it just generic rice wine? I'm going to be visiting a fairly large asian supermarket, is there anything else anyone recommends I pick up while I'm there since I don't go often. I've got a couple of jars of Lao Gan Ma from there before.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm going to pick up some Shao Xing wine mainly to make this

Is Shao Xing a brand or is it just generic rice wine? I'm going to be visiting a fairly large asian supermarket, is there anything else anyone recommends I pick up while I'm there since I don't go often. I've got a couple of jars of Lao Gan Ma from there before.

Shao xing is a type of seasoning wine. There should be one or two brands. This is the most common brand I've seen:
http://ninecooks.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451fa5069e20120a5a60eb8970b-800wi

Note that the spelling for it can be all over the place, like shao-hsing or xiao-sing or shao-sing

Pick up some XO sauce while you're there.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 16, 2012

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I want to make some bomb-rear end beans and rice. Anyone have a fave recipe?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Pick up some XO sauce while you're there.

This. Beef and brocs with XO is :dong:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Casu Marzu posted:

This. Beef and brocs with XO is :dong:

Likewise plain green beans with XO. And, um, pretty much any vegetable, any meat, and XO sauce. Jesus christ it's good.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
This is the first time I have ever heard of XO sauce... Holy crap though, some quick googling makes this sound like the best thing ever. Does anyone have and brand recommendations or recipes using it? I have a pretty awesome asian grocer near me so I'm sure I can find it if I know what to look for.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yank Sing if you like it spicy, Lee Kum Kee if you like it mild.

edit: it seems someone in the Adventure Time thread is upset that my theory was right.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 17, 2012

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Cache de Chef is the bomb but impossible to find.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Cyril Sneer posted:

Make your cornbread base as you normally would, add a bunch of your peppers and some grated cheese, pour into your hot greased skillet and top with more peppers and cheese. Bake. Serve with chili, or red beans and rice, or a fried pork chop and greens, or lima beans and okra or stewed tomatoes and rice. Eat like a southern boy.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Or, you can make some batter and just fry up the little rings.

So cooking last Sunday fell through. Gonna try to do it this Sunday and the challenge grew.

So, if thread wouldn't mind, here's what I got:

No shellfish, no pork. Both Jewish and Muslim guests. Probably a total of ten people. One of them is fairly picky eater so I'm gonna keep that in mind and try to please everyone. The previous recommendation of aglio e olio was pretty awesome but I think that might be a turn off for a few of the folks coming. I don't consider that even remotely a "weird" dish but you know some people.

Maybe a pasta with choice of sauce? One meat/red sauce and one white sauce? Pasta with green peas, some sweet peppers, mushrooms, etc? I can make a killer mushroom ragu. Should that be considered a white sauce or a third sauce?

TIA

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Or, you can make some batter and just fry up the little rings.

So cooking last Sunday fell through. Gonna try to do it this Sunday and the challenge grew.

So, if thread wouldn't mind, here's what I got:

No shellfish, no pork. Both Jewish and Muslim guests. Probably a total of ten people. One of them is fairly picky eater so I'm gonna keep that in mind and try to please everyone. The previous recommendation of aglio e olio was pretty awesome but I think that might be a turn off for a few of the folks coming. I don't consider that even remotely a "weird" dish but you know some people.

Maybe a pasta with choice of sauce? One meat/red sauce and one white sauce? Pasta with green peas, some sweet peppers, mushrooms, etc? I can make a killer mushroom ragu. Should that be considered a white sauce or a third sauce?

TIA

Why not make two (or more) lasagnas? You could make One with
Traditional ingredients and sauce, and improvise on the other(s)
It can all be made ahead of time

Also, serve with bread and à nice caprese for example.
Simple, but delicious

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I may just do that, and considered it so. Only reservation I had was the last time I did a pasta dish it was lasagna :P

It was off the chain taste wise but it was a little... not runny but it didn't cut and serve beautifully.

Thoughts on that aspect?

Last time I made a mornay sauce and filled it with moz and ricotta. Pork and beef red sauce.

Maybe do a second one that's primarily a white sauce, with spinach... maybe asparagus for some crunch? Or maybe broccoli stalks instead? Hmmmm.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 17, 2012

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Maybe obvious, but any mixing meat and cheese issues with your guests?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

geetee posted:

Maybe obvious, but any mixing meat and cheese issues with your guests?

So far the only things I know of as definite is no pork or shellfish for religious observations and a friends wife really likes mornay/alfredo sauce so that's what spurned the multiple pasta idea. Lasagna would work just as well!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So far the only things I know of as definite is no pork or shellfish for religious observations and a friends wife really likes mornay/alfredo sauce so that's what spurned the multiple pasta idea. Lasagna would work just as well!
What geetee means is that if you're keeping more or less kosher for observant Jews, you can't mix meat and cheese in a single dish.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I think the Muslim halaal laws are a bit more strict on dairy than the Jewish kashrat, too.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I asked and pork and shellfish are the only objections. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

tarepanda posted:

I think the Muslim halaal laws are a bit more strict on dairy than the Jewish kashrat, too.
I'm not as hep to halaal, but halakha is formally more byzantine than the way most non-orthodox Jews follow it. Like most produce grown in a backyard garden would be considered treif by some authorities, but I don't think most Jews would really sweat it. Specifically pertaining to milk, if you're really serious about keeping kosher then you have to worry about hashgacha for milk, which basically means that it has to have been squeezed from the cow (or other kosher animal, like a sheep or giraffe) under the supervision of a mashgiach. Same applies to things like bread baking.

I don't have any documentary evidence to back this up, but I think what you might be perceiving is that observant-but-not-ultra-orthodox Muslims are more observant than observant-but-not-ultra-orthodox Jews. Of course both of them look like punters compared to the average observant-but-not-ultra-orthodox Jain, but I'm pretty sure their dietary laws are way more procrustean. Or at least that's my completely talking-out-my-rear end perception.