Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Q_res posted:

I think the Spark is going to be a good litmus test for whether or not "normal" city cars can work in the US now. It's base price is only $1,620 lower than the base price of a Sonic hatch. Though it does come with some nice features not available on the base trim level Sonic. GM's posted estimated numbers are 6 mpg better in the city and 3 mpg better on the highway compared to the Sonic. I'm really interested to see how sales shake out for this thing.

I think the sales last month weren't terrible, especially for a car that's had zero advertising and I doubt many people have even heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

Throatwarbler posted:

It didn't 2 years ago, the GBP has collapsed in value in the last few years. Jaguar/Land Rover continues to make terrible cars but now they are one of the most profitable car makers in the world because the way to become a successful car maker is to get your government to manipulate the currency.

Some markets just aren't very competitive and car makers charge what they do because they can. The reason cars in the US are so cheap is because

- It's a large market, companies can sell for lower prices but higher volumes
- It's a relatively free market where car companies largely compete on an equal footing
- It's a mature market with a large "capital stock" of privately owned cars on the used market. Your lovely 1.0l golf cart better be a lot cheaper than a 2 year old Impala because that's what it's being cross shopped against.

It's almost as if state intervention helps businesses.....

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
At some point in the future Americans are going to have to suck it up and accept a city car, given most never go more then 60 miles from home on any given day.

I mean the Hyundai Accent last model hatchback moved a ton of metal. The Spark may still cost too much, but the time is coming when a city car will show up cheap.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Linedance posted:

just for perspective, here's a typical two-way suburban street in west London at Google-Car o'clock when it isn't particularly busy.

There are wider, and quieter streets around if you look for them, but your resident permit probably wouldn't let you park there anyway.

Jesus gently caress that makes me claustrophobic just looking at it :stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

At some point in the future Americans are going to have to suck it up and accept a city car, given most never go more then 60 miles from home on any given day.

I mean the Hyundai Accent last model hatchback moved a ton of metal. The Spark may still cost too much, but the time is coming when a city car will show up cheap.

You could easily get a last gen accent hatchback here for about 10 grand even. That made it about $3,000 cheaper than the next cheapest new car. I would expect the nissan versa, as terrible as it is, to take it's place, simply because it starts at $10,999. Not because it's good and not because it's small, but because it's the cheapest new car you can buy.

Looking at "city cars" in the US right now. the smart car is $1,500 more and completely impractical, the fiat 500 is $4,500 more, the scion iq is a full $5,000 more,

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Linedance posted:

just for perspective, here's a typical two-way suburban street in west London at Google-Car o'clock when it isn't particularly busy.

There are wider, and quieter streets around if you look for them, but your resident permit probably wouldn't let you park there anyway.
This looks just like my street in Philadelphia, however we do have tiny cramped garages out in the back alley. It was an actual suburb when they build it in 1950. It's interesting to note that neighborhoods that were built in 60-70's are much wider, supposedly to accommodate the bigger cars and delivery vehicles.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Powershift posted:

You could easily get a last gen accent hatchback here for about 10 grand even. That made it about $3,000 cheaper than the next cheapest new car. I would expect the nissan versa, as terrible as it is, to take it's place, simply because it starts at $10,999. Not because it's good and not because it's small, but because it's the cheapest new car you can buy.

Looking at "city cars" in the US right now. the smart car is $1,500 more and completely impractical, the fiat 500 is $4,500 more, the scion iq is a full $5,000 more,

Yeah, right now I have a base automatic Kia Rio at my dealership and the sticker is still $15,615. This is for a car with manual locks and windows :stare:

People who can't afford decent new cars buy used cars, not cheap new cars.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Get ready for even thinker pillars and higher belt-lines:

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr081412.html

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Enough about citycars, it's time to talk about new practical hybrid-electric vehicles, like the Porsche 918, of which a new very-near-production prototype just surfaced on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cm4cfoltmI

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Previa_fun posted:

To be fair, some of those results look pretty bad, what with the heads missing airbags and braining themselves on the dashboard, and the thing they're testing for is a fairly reasonable and realistic crash scenario. Judging from some of the responses already put out by manufacturers, it seems like a lot of the worst stuff could be fixed more with simple tweaks than with massive re-engineering.

Besides, everyone knows that the (questionably effective) euro pedestrian safety standards are the biggest ruiner of car designs right now. Unless you like sports cars with giant blunt and bulbous front ends.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Volvo did it just fine. If a Chinese car can do it what's stopping BMW and MB?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

The Volvo did it just fine. If a Chinese car can do it what's stopping BMW and MB?

Volvos are hardly Chinese cars, even if their parent company is now Chinese.

One of the other issues for the two german brands, other than the wrong airbags thing where the right combination of side/front airbags didn't deploy correctly because of the way they were calibrated that wasn't optimized for this type of offset impact, was due to specific details on how the seatbelt pretensioner and tension control mechanisms reacted to that particular angle of impact, which allowed for excessive movement that led to stuff being hit harder than it should. The manufacturers claim that it's likely these could be fixed with relatively minor programming and hardware tweaks. Which underscores how these tests can be useful.

quote:

Engineers at some manufacturers have indicated that they are adjusting airbag algorithms to deploy side airbags in small overlap frontal crashes. Mercedes, for example, plans changes for the current C-Class.

Another restraint and kinematics issue Institute engineers flagged was excessive forward movement of the driver dummy caused by too much shoulder belt webbing spooling out of the retractor. This was the case with the BMW, Mercedes and Volkswagen. Like most new vehicles, these cars have safety belts equipped with load limiters that allow occupants' upper bodies to move forward in frontal crashes when belt loads exceed a specific threshold. Load limiters allow some belt spoolout after the initial impact to reduce belt-force-related thoracic injuries such as rib fractures by allowing people to ride down deflating front airbags. However, too much spoolout can compromise belt effectiveness by allowing belted occupants to move enough to strike hard surfaces inside the vehicle. This concern is greater in small overlaps where occupants may load only a small part of the front airbag or miss it completely.

Lexus's terrible scores were apparently due in part to deficiencies in their crash structure and A pillars which led to serious injuries to the legs due to crushing and trapping.

They gave this photo to show the difference between Lexus (left) and Volvo (right).

Apparently the door was actually completely sheared off of the VW CC in its test, while the door was flung open for Audi, both of which are automatic downgrades due to the dangers inherent in doors being flung open due to fairly low speed collisions.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 15, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Lexuses are the oldest models, they are both from 2005-6. The 2013 ES is moving to an entire new platform not shared with the Camry, I think. The Audi an the C class are both older too. The Volvo is brand new.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can't really fault IIHS. Every single time they invent a test, 10 years later all cars score perfect on it so they have to make something new to justify their existence.

It really is making all these cars safer on the road in the long run. We are probably at the point of diminishing returns now, but their frontal offset crash tests REALLY pushed automakers to build their cars better starting in the early 2000's. It was good progress.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

grover posted:

Enough about citycars, it's time to talk about new practical hybrid-electric vehicles, like the Porsche 918, of which a new very-near-production prototype just surfaced on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cm4cfoltmI

Not naming sources...

The level of insanity going on around that car makes me worried. So far 80 some odd people have ordered one. Now, to order one, you need to put down half of the $800k price tag. Mind you, for that deposit you do also get a 918 Edition 911 Turbo. Aka, a Turbo with a giant green stripe on it to get you to stop asking where you $400k went. Good news is, the car is coming! So soon in fact that the prototype is going on a tour so owners can sit in it and be driven around in one. That's right they get to sit in it, not drive it. Then you have to get out and go back to waiting.

It really makes me think they're hiding something.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Because if there was ever a company that was going to take $400k deposits on a vaporware car to rip off/piss off their customers, it's Porsche.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 15, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kill me now posted:

Yeah, right now I have a base automatic Kia Rio at my dealership and the sticker is still $15,615. This is for a car with manual locks and windows :stare:

People who can't afford decent new cars buy used cars, not cheap new cars.

"People with more sense than money buy used cars".

I have bought exactly one brand-new car in my life. Never again.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

bull3964 posted:

You can't really fault IIHS. Every single time they invent a test, 10 years later all cars score perfect on it so they have to make something new to justify their existence.

Meanwhile the NHTSA keeps ramming cars at a perfect 90 degree angle into a perfectly flat wall at 35mph.

That said, I've always heard (and have probably posted something like this before) that the IIHS tests are designed to test the vehicle's safety structure, while the NHTSA tests are designed to make sure the restraints are up to federal code.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I like A and B-segment cars for their maneuverability more than their footprint in a parking space. Being able to easily see your corners and effortlessly slot the car into a space that might require a few more maneuvers in a C/D-segment is a big plus.
The iQ has a sixteen foot turning radius. That means you can easily do a u-turn inside your average two car garage with room to spare.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The iQ has a sixteen foot turning radius. That means you can easily do a u-turn inside your average two car garage with room to spare.

I would like to see one on sticky tires do this at speed.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

sanchez posted:

I would like to see one on sticky tires do this at speed.

If the tires were somehow sticky enough, it'd probably get about 15 degrees into the turn and just flip over like a stunt car with a telephone pole cannon on it.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

If the tires were somehow sticky enough, it'd probably get about 15 degrees into the turn and just flip over like a stunt car with a telephone pole cannon on it.

Mount a wheelie bar on the passenger door.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

Meanwhile the NHTSA keeps ramming cars at a perfect 90 degree angle into a perfectly flat wall at 35mph.

That said, I've always heard (and have probably posted something like this before) that the IIHS tests are designed to test the vehicle's safety structure, while the NHTSA tests are designed to make sure the restraints are up to federal code.

NHTSA tests are mandatory for getting cars approved to operate in the US. Drastic changes in their operation require literal acts of Congress, and Congress doesn't necessarily act in the consumer's favor. If cars don't pass the NHTSA tests, they can't be sold, and the senators from Illinois and Michigan get lovely about it.

IIHS tests are used to decide how much the buyer pays for insurance. It's funded by insurance companies, and their goal is to make cars safer so insurance companies can pay out less money. If cars don't pass IIHS tests, they can still be sold, but insurers are free to charge higher rates for the higher risk of expensive injury claims during crashes.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Previa_fun posted:

My favorite is the Lincoln. The Airbag deploys then cleverly steps out of the way right before the head touches it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Powershift posted:

You have clearly never drive a Nissan Verse, which while a boring drive may be the best small car you can buy today. It's insanely roomy in the inside, a fairly decent place to be a passenger and gets decent gas mileage. It's honestly better then my shitbox impala or my wife's Equinox.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Previa_fun posted:

Beltlines don't make any difference in an impact of this type.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Beltlines don't make any difference in an impact of this type.

I bet A pillars do, though. But I would still prefer the slightly reduced visibility and ugliness of a fat A pillar to losing my feet in a 40 mph car crash where I just barely clip a corner of the car on the wrong side.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cream_Filling posted:

I bet A pillars do, though. But I would still prefer the slightly reduced visibility and ugliness of a fat A pillar to losing my feet in a 40 mph car crash where I just barely clip a corner of the car on the wrong side.

That's not really an accurate description of the test, though. It's hitting a stationary object at 40mph where the entire force of the crash is absorbed by one vehicle. This doesn't happen with "barely clipping a corner of a car"

But yes, I agree with you regarding safety. This is a good test because these types of accidents happen a lot, and cars that we would consider pretty drat safe do a terrible job protecting occupants in these types of crashes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Well, I said "barely clipping a corner of the car," not "a car." I originally had "... on a guardrail or something" but I cut that bit for being too wordy. I believe the original scenario for the test was hitting a telephone pole or something like that, which I think is fairly common, after all. Wait, doesn't Euro NCAP or someone do a pole test? How does that work? Do they actually drive straight into a pole?

And I repeat my assertion that those Euro pedestrian hood gap requirements have a far worse effect on car designs than crash safety stuff.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

And I repeat my assertion that those Euro pedestrian hood gap requirements have a far worse effect on car designs than crash safety stuff.

Solution: all new cars mid-engined

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 16, 2012

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Safety crashes or fuel economy are SOOO last year. Chevy's new COPO Camaro has officially rolled out:

Shopping list of standard parts.

With a quarter-mile time of 8.88 @ 142.9, it definitely smacks the Ford Mustang Cobra Jet around some.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Yep, that sounds like "550 horsepower" to me.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Devyl posted:

Safety crashes or fuel economy are SOOO last year. Chevy's new COPO Camaro has officially rolled out:

With a quarter-mile time of 8.88 @ 142.9, it definitely smacks the Ford Mustang Cobra Jet around some.

bleugh

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Devyl posted:

3175lbs? Goddamn, that's light for a late model Camaro, especially one with so much power. And that's with a cage, too.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

grover posted:

3175lbs? Goddamn, that's light for a late model Camaro, especially one with so much power. And that's with a cage, too.

That's a great weight. Just take that weight, put the rear seats, radio and air conditioning back in, and try releasing the car again. I'm assuming the COPO doesn't already have that stuff.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

davebo posted:

That's a great weight. Just take that weight, put the rear seats, radio and air conditioning back in, and try releasing the car again. I'm assuming the COPO doesn't already have that stuff.
Also no power steering, no power brakes, no independent rear suspension, no VIN, and it's Powerglide only and the trunk is full of fuel system poo poo and battery. Where do you think it lost all that weight from anyways?

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 17, 2012

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
And without the sway bar up front, I wouldn't be doing any slalom courses anytime soon. I just wish they would've dropped the compression ratio a bit from 13:1 to something lower like 10.5:1 on the LS7 and thrown on Whipple's 5.0 twin-screw. Now THAT would be impressive.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Devyl posted:

Ha, with the low resolution of that picture, on the rear quarter panel below the bowtie, I did a double-take because I thought that it said "FORD" rather than "COPO".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Devyl posted:

And without the sway bar up front, I wouldn't be doing any slalom courses anytime soon. I just wish they would've dropped the compression ratio a bit from 13:1 to something lower like 10.5:1 on the LS7 and thrown on Whipple's 5.0 twin-screw. Now THAT would be impressive.

They're building these strictly for NHRA drag strip use and classifications. Turns are only taken while being pulled through the staging lanes or after a run, and the brakes are only there to slow down after the traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It was a joke about the weight reduction.