Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Alright, I'll get a USB drive then. This computer seriously owns btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Any suggestions for an ultra cheap Apple Wireless Keyboard sleeve case? Just some kind of fabric envelope that it can easily be tossed in during transport. It can be something generic that doesn't fit perfectly, I need to order about 10-15 of them that are gonna be used outdoors so I'd rather not get "fancy" ones.

Mr. Onslaught fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 15, 2012

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

THC posted:

Alright, I'll get a USB drive then. This computer seriously owns btw

It is pretty badass. I just got my 13" air a few days ago. It does everything well. I just installed Batman Arkham Asylum, and its runnin' like a champ.

I'm going to be traveling a lot soon and I look forward to having this making my downtime pleasant.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I finally replaced the CPU (i5 2.66 -> i7 2.93) and GPU (Radeon 4850 -> 6970) in my 2009 iMac, and it now plays Diablo III on max settings at max res. I believe the MXM board I bought to be an official OEM part. It came with its own heat sink, which is more hardcore via one extra copper pipe. :chord:

I am beyond happy I didn't somehow shock myself or the components when I was wrangling them. The power supply is totally unshielded and replacing the CPU heatsink requires two types of opposing screwdrivers at 180 degrees while leveraging the entire floppy weight of the logic board between them.

I absolutely recommend this upgrade if you want to squeeze life out of a similar vintage iMac.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That owns. How much was the replacement MXM board?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kuskus posted:

I finally replaced the CPU (i5 2.66 -> i7 2.93) and GPU (Radeon 4850 -> 6970) in my 2009 iMac, and it now plays Diablo III on max settings at max res. I believe the MXM board I bought to be an official OEM part. It came with its own heat sink, which is more hardcore via one extra copper pipe. :chord:

I am beyond happy I didn't somehow shock myself or the components when I was wrangling them. The power supply is totally unshielded and replacing the CPU heatsink requires two types of opposing screwdrivers at 180 degrees while leveraging the entire floppy weight of the logic board between them.

I absolutely recommend this upgrade if you want to squeeze life out of a similar vintage iMac.

My mind is blown that MXM is still around.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Holy crap, i'd love to do that, as I still love my 2008 iMac, but there's no way it can run any good newer games.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

kuskus posted:

I am beyond happy I didn't somehow shock myself or the components when I was wrangling them. The power supply is totally unshielded and-

:stare: did you not unplug it or something?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Yeast posted:

:stare: did you not unplug it or something?

I think that PSUs can hold a significant residual charge if they aren't properly depleted before you start poking around.

In other news I picked up a refurbed October 2011 15" pro for around $1505 after tax. I was on the fence between a Retina and an air. Hopefully this lasts me until the second generation of the retina 15" air. Somehow I doubt it.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

kuskus posted:

366x400
700x447

Hrm, holy crap, I have a 2009 iMac, I had no idea this stuff was replaceable. Where did you get the parts?

Edit:After some googling I found this:

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Video-Card-AMD-Radeon-HD-6970M-2GB-for-iMac-27-Mid-2011-661-5969---NEW-p-40083.html

This is the 2GB version of the card and holy crap it's $588. :monocle:

echobucket fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 15, 2012

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

echobucket posted:

I had no idea this stuff was replaceable. Where did you get the parts?
I did indeed get it from DV warehouse, but I got the 1GB. For me, $388 to have up to date graphics in my iMac is worth it. The non-mobile PCIe versions are the same price (albeit with 2GB). And I'm sure they're a lot louder. I ran lots of benchmark tools last night couldn't hear the fans.

The CPU was just used from eBay. That socket on the right is simply marked "LGA 115X" when you take the sink off, and it has a lever just like a typical motherboard socket. I believe people have gotten the highest-clocked 95W i7s of similar architecture to work in it (i7-XXX).

kuskus fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 15, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

OWC now has an aftermarket SSD for the Retina MacBook Pro

http://blog.macsales.com/14729-owc-...-retina-display

Only 480GB, though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

OWC now has an aftermarket SSD for the Retina MacBook Pro

http://blog.macsales.com/14729-owc-...-retina-display

Only 480GB, though.

Not that I'd get one now, but eventually down the road I will fill up my 128 gig model. So at least I know there's replacements already, and that by the time I need one, they'll be bigger, cheaper, or both.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

IUG posted:

Not that I'd get one now, but eventually down the road I will fill up my 128 gig model. So at least I know there's replacements already, and that by the time I need one, they'll be bigger, cheaper, or both.

This is for the rMBP - which comes with a standard 256GB SSD. OWC already has replacement drives out for the Air.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

This is for the rMBP - which comes with a standard 256GB SSD. OWC already has replacement drives out for the Air.

Are they the only company doing this at the moment?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

kuskus posted:

Hey that's pretty neat. I assumed that the internal layout had changed from year to year and made this sort of stuff impossible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Are they the only company doing this at the moment?

As far as I know. I don't think the market is that big, but I figured some imitations would pop up on eBay at some point.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

kuskus posted:

Whoa. Also never knew this was possible. Any advice or documentation on upgrading a 2009 Mini?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Yeah, I have a rMBP. Just curious, what's that silver wedge next to it?
EDIT: Nevermind, I read ti more closely. It's a USB 3.0 enclosure for your existing hard drive. Neat.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mdtyson posted:

Whoa. Also never knew this was possible. Any advice or documentation on upgrading a 2009 Mini?
Pretty sure everything is on the logic board for a Mini so it's not really possible to do component upgrades other than RAM and HDD.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
Well that's unfortunate. I've already upgraded those.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah CPU is soldered for 2009 and later, and the GPU is integrated with the something-bridge/controller chip, can't really do anything about it. The older models have socketed CPUs and max out with a dual 2.66 C2D iirc.

(and if you have one of the pre C2D models, you can flash the firmware to accept more RAM like the subsequent C2D ones)

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums

IUG posted:

Yeah, I have a rMBP. Just curious, what's that silver wedge next to it?
I think he was referring to the fact that there is no 128gb option for the rMBP.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

Yeah CPU is soldered for 2009 and later, and the GPU is integrated with the something-bridge/controller chip, can't really do anything about it. The older models have socketed CPUs and max out with a dual 2.66 C2D iirc.

(and if you have one of the pre C2D models, you can flash the firmware to accept more RAM like the subsequent C2D ones)

I didn't think there'd be a huge difference between our old 2.66GHz C2D Mini, and our new 2.0GHz i7 Mini (both have 500GB HD and 4GB RAM) but holy smokes. Filemaker feels twice as fast. The first morning the girls in the office used it they were all surprised.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I wasn't sure whether to put it here or in the software (or in the Hackintosh?) thread... but I've been trying to get CentOS to install on a 2010 Mac Mini with very little success. I can get to the installer, but then the installer can't find the CD. Checking the various alt-F* error screens shows that I have a really weird error along the lines of "made it to setup without a CD error."

Is this pretty much a lost cause? I'd like to be able to single-boot CentOS.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
I have a Early 2011 MBP running Windows 7 x64 in boot camp. I want to adjust the gamma of the display, since things are kind of dark in Starcraft II :). I don't see an option to do this, but possibly the official ATI Catalyst drivers for the graphics card (ATI 6750M) will work. Can I just install the official drivers from ATI? This page seems to say that I can, but the Apple discussion it links to says otherwise (at least it's not as simple). Is there an easy way to do this? Or an even easier way to adjust the gamma of the display? For some reason the SC2 gamma slider doesn't adjust.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

So I'm thinking about picking up the old MacBook Air refurb, since I can get a discount even on it: http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0JK0

I'm getting a fully loaded iMac in October (hopefully it'll be updated by then) so I'm not needing anything too powerful. Just something I can take around with me that's pretty light.

I'm wanting it to replace an old 2006 plastic MacBook. It has water damage and doesn't work on battery anymore so it always has to be plugged in. It also is very sluggish, especially with Lion. I'm curious though as to whether this Air will run much better? I know the SSD will speed things up quite a bit, but my old MacBook has a 2.16 C2D while this Air only has a 1.6. Same amount of RAM in both.

Would I end up really disappointed by this?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FrenchToasty posted:

I'm curious though as to whether this Air will run much better? I know the SSD will speed things up quite a bit, but my old MacBook has a 2.16 C2D while this Air only has a 1.6. Same amount of RAM in both.

Disappointed? You will hate it, it's slower than your old one. Get a Sandy Bridge CPU or Ivy Bridge, but not a C2D, which is a six year old platform, especially not this abomination of a ULV-CPU. That's not worth the money at all. For 60 $ more you can get this one, which is so much better in every way it would blow your mind seeing them side-by-side. While the i5 is 30-50 % faster than your current CPU, the 1.6 C2D is 25-50 % slower than your current CPU, which means in certain tasks the i5 is four times as fast as the C2D MBA. Do yourself a favour please: Spend the 60 $. ;)

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 16, 2012

Talks To Cats
Jan 7, 2012
I hate my job and I hate you, but I'll put up with my job because it makes me a shit-ton of money. I can tell you how to do the same...but you won't listen.

I support charity:water with my erotica charity bundles. Water changes everything.
I'm thinking about getting a 27" iMac for my office. I'm only concerned about Photoshop performance. Would the 2.7ghz processor and 8gb of memory cover me sufficiently? Should I up it to 16gb?

I don't spend all day working with images so I don't need the best speeds, I just don't want it to choke on big files. But I don't want to pay extra for stuff I don't need.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

FrenchToasty posted:

So I'm thinking about picking up the old MacBook Air refurb, since I can get a discount even on it: http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0JK0

I'm getting a fully loaded iMac in October (hopefully it'll be updated by then) so I'm not needing anything too powerful. Just something I can take around with me that's pretty light.

I'm wanting it to replace an old 2006 plastic MacBook. It has water damage and doesn't work on battery anymore so it always has to be plugged in. It also is very sluggish, especially with Lion. I'm curious though as to whether this Air will run much better? I know the SSD will speed things up quite a bit, but my old MacBook has a 2.16 C2D while this Air only has a 1.6. Same amount of RAM in both.

The C2D Airs are complete rubbish. Never get one.

TUSR
Aug 10, 2012

Talks To Cats posted:

I'm thinking about getting a 27" iMac for my office. I'm only concerned about Photoshop performance. Would the 2.7ghz processor and 8gb of memory cover me sufficiently? Should I up it to 16gb?

I don't spend all day working with images so I don't need the best speeds, I just don't want it to choke on big files. But I don't want to pay extra for stuff I don't need.

If you are just doing photoshop work, the 27" iMac would crush it. 8GB would be fine because PS will not use even close to that.

Does anyone know what the largest size of SD card you can use on a Retina Pro is?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

~Coxy posted:

this isn't true at all. The first gens were, but the late 2010 models were excellent and great machines all around for the time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

2010s aren't as bad from memory but they still have slow SSDs and CPUs. I also believe the core disabling problem was still particularly evident.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

El Duke Silver posted:

this isn't true at all. The first gens were, but the late 2010 models were excellent and great machines all around for the time.

Yes, the C2D was amazing when it came out, that's why it pains me to say "this C2D is poo poo". My E6600 is probably still my favourite desktop CPU of all time in terms of price/performance. It overclocked like mad (800 Mhz over the standard clock) while also running 0,5 V under the standard voltage. Six years later still does it's job in my HTPC. However, it was amazing in 2006. In 2012? Not so much. And the ULV-version was - unlike today's ULV - not very well thought out, being only ULV because they reduced the poo poo out of the performance. The second generation was better, but still a far cry from the power/wattage ration we have now.

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 16, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

~Coxy posted:

In 2010? Not so much. But now, I wouldn't buy one unless it was cheeeaap. In the refurb store, if you're looking at the 4GB/128GB model, the i5 is only like $70 more.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

FrenchToasty posted:

I'm wanting it to replace an old 2006 plastic MacBook.

If you really only need something to tide you over until Fall, just drop a cheap SSD into your current plastic Macbook. What have you got in there now, an old 5400rpm 160GB or worse? A 128GB M4 is like $100.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Bob Morales posted:

I didn't think there'd be a huge difference between our old 2.66GHz C2D Mini, and our new 2.0GHz i7 Mini (both have 500GB HD and 4GB RAM) but holy smokes. Filemaker feels twice as fast. The first morning the girls in the office used it they were all surprised.

Same experience here. I use a 2.4Ghz C2D/4GB mini at work and it really is a bit of a slog. I have a 1.7 i5/4GB air at home and it feels so much faster it's ridiculous. I'm sure part of it is the slow laptop disk in the mini vs the ssd in the air but even setting that aside the i5 is just way faster than the old C2D.

EDIT: it also doesn't help that this mini has the notoriously lovely nvidia 320m in it, but it's also not like the intel hd 3000 in the air is a blazing speed demon either.

lazer_chicken fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 16, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

lazer_chicken posted:

Same experience here. I use a 2.4Ghz C2D/4GB mini at work and it really is a bit of a slog. I have a 1.7 i5/4GB air at home and it feels so much faster it's ridiculous. I'm sure part of it is the slow laptop disk in the mini vs the ssd in the air but even setting that aside the i5 is just way faster than the old C2D.

EDIT: it also doesn't help that this mini has the notoriously lovely nvidia 320m in it, but it's also not like the intel hd 3000 in the air is a blazing speed demon either.

The 320 is faster than the HD3000 isn't it?

My 3.06GHz i3 iMac felt like a dinosaur compared to my 1.6GHz Air, but I put an SSD in it and that fixed it.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Decius posted:

Yes, the C2D was amazing when it came out, that's why it pains me to say "this C2D is poo poo". My E6600 is probably still my favourite desktop CPU of all time in terms of price/performance. It overclocked like mad (800 Mhz over the standard clock) while also running 0,5 V under the standard voltage. Six years later still does it's job in my HTPC. However, it was amazing in 2006. In 2012? Not so much. And the ULV-version was - unlike today's ULV - not very well thought out, being only ULV because they reduced the poo poo out of the performance. The second generation was better, but still a far cry from the power/wattage ration we have now.

I'm not saying anyone should buy one now, but to say they were always garbage is far from the truth. At the time, they were great little machines. But no, there's no reason to get one now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Bob Morales posted:

The 320 is faster than the HD3000 isn't it?

My 3.06GHz i3 iMac felt like a dinosaur compared to my 1.6GHz Air, but I put an SSD in it and that fixed it.

I don't know about the relative performance (I assumed they'd be roughly equal) because I don't play games on either one but I say the 320m sucks because of this graphics bug that I (and apparently other people with the 320m) get under 10.7 and 10.8.

I'm sure the horrible stock HD in the mini accounts for most of the sluggishness.