Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

The scorekeepers for our game sucked rear end tonight. I can't believe we have to pay for them to sit up in the booth and muck about on their smart phones. Anyway:

We score the first goal. They put it up on the board. The other team scores and they put that one up, so it's 1-1. We score again, they give the goal to the other team. We score a third goal, they don't bother putting it up at all, and they still don't correct our second goal. The other team scores, they put that goal up for the other team. So now on the board it says 3-1 them, when it's actually 3-2 us. We score a fourth goal and that one they put up for us. The game ends and on the scoreboard it's 3-2 them, when in actuality it's 4-2 us. Fortunately this isn't a league where wins and losses matter for rankings, but since my team has a losing record this season, we got loving robbed tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
:supaburn:

I think I found a hockey buddy for stick and puck in OKLAHOMA

:supaburn:

Have not been this excited in a long while! BEWBIES, do you ever do SaP at Arctic Edge? I have no skates as of now so I will have to rent for a few weeks (I hear they have Bauers for rent?) and I need a new helmet but other than that I am ready to go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

First time I have internet in almost three weeks, first thread I come to is this one. I can't wait to get back to hockey. :unsmith:

I even have a rat session the day after I get back. I've been doing backcountry hikes at 6,000 feet and above, what are the chances I play like a monster when I go back to Chicago's ~200 feet elevation?

(too bad high altitude acclimation only lasts for a few days, and it's unlikely I got much of a boost over only three weeks)

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Had my first hat trick last night while playing D. It was the exact same play each time, someone behind the net with the puck, I dropped to the circle wide open and put it off the far post each time. We lost 5-4 though :(

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I had a tip-in goal last night, which my absolute favorites to score. Redirecting the puck to where the goalie isn't and actually scoring, it's really the best feeling. I also got shoved by a D into the path of my defensemen's bomb of a shot from the point that was headed into the net and I blocked the shot with the underside of my forearm where the elbow pad isn't. OUCH.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Green Submarine posted:

This and the cage issue divide hockey players into four categories:

code:
                    Cage                No Cage
            |one another. Come   |child support.      |
            |in threes.          |Probably a cop.     |
            |____________________|____________________|
            |Sits on the bench   |Sandbagger who never|
Doesn't     |complaining about   |passes. One week    |
Celebrate   |guys in the other   |old stick. One      |
            |three quadrants     |decade old gloves.  |
            |of this chart.      |                    |
            |____________________|____________________|

The lower right quadrant sounds about accurate for me, it's true... :v:

Actually come to think of it, I get more excited about other people's goals than my own. Anytime a teammate scores a goal I'll skate right to them, but when I do I pretty much go straight to center ice or bench depending on how long I've been out.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Most of the world sucks, though surprisingly North Korea and Uganda are ok.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Aniki posted:

Most of the world sucks, though surprisingly North Korea and Uganda are ok.

I like how well Norway actually does in IIHF tournaments despite the relativity low number of players (roughly the same as Ukraine and UK. One tenth of the players in Sweden)

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Just saw our playoff schedule for my work team. First game is at 11:30 at night on a Monday, then 2 weeks later we play at 11:15.

:suicide:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So anyone here have experience with the hockey north america thing, or do I have to ask modsquad/hf boards?

A week or so ago, I put my deposit down for the training/season (which won't happen until jan/feb I think), and curious about how long it is until they start sending you poo poo like "OH HEY GUESS WHATS COMING UP HERES HOW TO PREPARE!" or is that all dependent on the dude running the area?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I did HNA Philly for a few seasons, but my situation was that I already had a team to join and my uncle was the manager of it, so I just got all the info through him. I remember there being this mando-tryout thing for new players no matter what the situation, and once you got on your team you just went from there. As far as info, that might all be dependent on who is running it, but I'd just keep an eye on the league website if they have one.

HNA is pretty well organized, but they can be strict about some things, like uniforms for instance. We had home and away unis with stitched numbering and nametapes (really nice jerseys actually) and our team had some odd requirement that due to our colorway we had to wear blue helmets. And yes, they did crack down on that stuff. I personally didn't mind it, in fact I kinda enjoyed looking kinda professional out there, but at the same time it's just a beer league that's playing on Thursday nights at 11pm.

That uniform issue actually became a point of contention among the team, and I think after I left they pulled out of HNA because our jerseys were nearly $300 for the pair and they were not only required but they had to be bought through HNA, and it hindered ability to get new players.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 15, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Required matching helmets and 300 dollar jerseys? gently caress that poo poo.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah HNA was a bit strict on uniforms when I played in the league, but we got our awesome jerseys for like $60 apiece and they were really nice so nobody cared too much. One person had to buy new pants because they weren't allowed to wear blue ones.

Other than that it's pretty well organized. I never joined their mailing list so I don't know when the usual recruitment stuff starts blasting out.

The learn to skate/beginner team season is a pretty good deal though, you get a bunch of instruction and a couple power skating lessons and then like 10 games or something with your new team.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Anders posted:

I like how well Norway actually does in IIHF tournaments despite the relativity low number of players (roughly the same as Ukraine and UK. One tenth of the players in Sweden)

I've always wondered why Norway isn't a bigger hockey country. Is it competition with other winter sports, an anti-Swedish sentiment, or are there reasons that you've noticed?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Aniki posted:

I've always wondered why Norway isn't a bigger hockey country. Is it competition with other winter sports, an anti-Swedish sentiment, or are there reasons that you've noticed?

40 rinks and 17 residents per sq km.

During the Olympics, one commentator compared it to Team USA only choosing players from Detroit.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Anders posted:

40 rinks and 17 residents per sq km.

During the Olympics, one commentator compared it to Team USA only choosing players from Detroit.

Norway's population is similar to Finland's, but 40 rinks in Norway compared to 247 rinks in Finland is a pretty major difference. I read up on it more this morning and I guess there are a couple factors. Firstly, Sweden and Finland both had huge rink building booms in the 60-70s, which helped establish the popularity of the sport. Their governing agencies also did a much better job of promoting the sport than Norway did. Skiing and other winter sports are also very accessible and popular in Norway, so that eats into the potential player base, even though they shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

I thought that Norway had a strong showing in the last olympics, but they actually finished 10th. They could always try tapping into Norwegian-American and Norwegian-Canadian talent, but I don't know how much that would help longterm. My brothers were friends with a goalie on the Norwegian national team in the 80s and my family is Norwegian-American, so I always want to see Norway do well. Hopefully there are people within Norway that are pushing to raise the profile of hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been rating areas for positional relocation based on whether they have ice available year round. Wife and I want to get out of Illinois in a couple years, so whenever we're on vacation it's kind of hard to avoid rating the places we visit.

At this point, the only city between the rocky mountains and the mississippi being considered is Denver. :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You're dumb if you don't move to CA.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eh, I lived in Sunnyvale for a couple years. I am never going back to that state again if I can help it.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Aniki posted:

:words:
Hopefully there are people within Norway that are pushing to raise the profile of hockey.

Trying to get the first rink built in my county.

The only noted NHLer with Norwegian heritage at all is Byfuglien.

But the reason I, and many other Norwegians are so obsessed with Zuccarello is mainly due to him raising the media coverage of the sport ten folds whenever he was up in the NHL. A huge profile over there would make a tremendous difference in the pace rinks are built here.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Pleads posted:

The learn to skate/beginner team season is a pretty good deal though, you get a bunch of instruction and a couple power skating lessons and then like 10 games or something with your new team.

Sucks to hear it could be strict with helmet colors and poo poo but I'm pretty much betting on the cost of instruction/games is at least enough to get out there, and if fees and poo poo are still outrageous I could probably ask around for beer league crap.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

More leagues than I can possibly play in here in SoCal. NorCal seems to be the same bet.

Wearing shorts to games in January is p. awesome.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

sellouts posted:

I did that when I lived in LA and I did it this past winter in Minneapolis. I'm not very smart.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shorts are a extremist conspiracy to force humans to shun cold weather and I'm pretty sure was recently proven to be a primary contributor to global warming.

Give me snow and ice any day. :black101:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

sellouts posted:

More leagues than I can possibly play in here in SoCal. NorCal seems to be the same bet.

Except I do sometimes like it that when I come out of a game at around midnight in the Fall/Winter I can actually cool off just by hanging around outside without having to turn on the A/C in my car.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Anders posted:

Trying to get the first rink built in my county.

The only noted NHLer with Norwegian heritage at all is Byfuglien.

But the reason I, and many other Norwegians are so obsessed with Zuccarello is mainly due to him raising the media coverage of the sport ten folds whenever he was up in the NHL. A huge profile over there would make a tremendous difference in the pace rinks are built here.

There's Travis Moen. I'm sure there must be others, but I'd love to see Byfuglien playing for the Norwegian national team. Where in Norway do you live?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Aniki posted:

There's Travis Moen. I'm sure there must be others, but I'd love to see Byfuglien playing for the Norwegian national team. Where in Norway do you live?

North Trøndelag.
For Byfuglien to be eligible, he has to play two years in the Norwegian league... and while the lock out might take care of one year, the GET-league is pretty crap overall.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Anders posted:

North Trøndelag.
For Byfuglien to be eligible, he has to play two years in the Norwegian league... and while the lock out might take care of one year, the GET-league is pretty crap overall.

That would be a problem for eligibility. Did anything ever happen with the Scandinavian Super League they talked about a couple years ago and would something like that help or hurt the development of hockey in Norway?

Good luck on your battle to get a rink. I think the closest rink to where my Grandmother's family is from is in Lillehammer and even that is 60 miles away, though I doubt that Sør-Aurdal has a big enough population to sustain a rink.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

Shorts are a extremist conspiracy to force humans to shun cold weather and I'm pretty sure was recently proven to be a primary contributor to global warming.

Give me snow and ice any day. :black101:

I'm with you. Getting out of games in Austin in summer is the worst. I leave the rink and walk out into humidity and heat? No thanks.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Found some MLX skates on Ebay that I want. Does anyone have any first hand experience on the sizing? These are a 10 and I wear a 9.5 in shoes so I assume they are way too big?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Stock-MLX-Size-10-hockey-skates-/160860725107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25740bdf73

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My shoe size is 8.5 and I wear a 7 skate. This is pretty normal.

Is this your first pair of hockey skates? Go to a brick and mortar store and let someone help you try them on.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Chemmy posted:

My shoe size is 8.5 and I wear a 7 skate. This is pretty normal.

Is this your first pair of hockey skates? Go to a brick and mortar store and let someone help you try them on.

First pair of ice skates in about 15 years :)

I have some Mission rollers in a size 9 and they fit snugly/perfect. I plan on going to a rink soon and trying some on but I know they don't have the MLX.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Do not use Missions for a basis for sizing anything. Use this for MLXs: http://www.mlxskates.com/sizing.html

They were meant to be sized by measuring your foot, not shoe size.

I wore 9D in my 12 year old Missions and am a 6.5 in my TotalOnes. (My 9Ds were too big to begin with and I just dealt with it)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If your skate budget is $150 there'll be plenty of stuff you can afford even at a brick and mortar store.

Try on lots of brands: Bauer, CCM, Graf, etc. to see what fits you best.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Chemmy posted:

If your skate budget is $150 there'll be plenty of stuff you can afford even at a brick and mortar store.

Try on lots of brands: Bauer, CCM, Graf, etc. to see what fits you best.

Yeah seconding this. When I first went to get ice skates, I wanted to get Bauers, but it turned out that they were too narrow for my feet. Ended up getting CCMs because they felt the best.

Brands to avoid? I've heard bad things about Easton and Mission ice skates, is that true for others as well?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I loved my Missions, they just got so old that the plastic wore out and the toe caps cracked. But their sizing just didn't translate to other brands. That's the only reason to avoid them. Avoid skates that don't fit your feet.

Going to try a custom radius and FBV sharpening on a new pair of runners to see how it goes. Also giving them a medium forward pitch. Should be very funny!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I was not impressed by my FBV cut. It was more expensive and went completely dull after 2-3 hours on the ice. I've gotten two 7/16" cuts over the course of my current season.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
A few years back Mission revamped their sizing chart to be more in line with what was universally accepted.

Noodle-chat: I purchased a RE-AKT earlier in the week, I'm hoping it gets here today so I can try it out at open tomorrow. I'll be putting a cage on it to offset the supposed concussion-prevention. This was spurred by someone on my team getting the matte black e700 and doing nothing but glowing over how comfortable it is. Figured it was time to upgrade my 10 year old bucket.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm sorry if anyone else is tired of the joke but I am certainly not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm sorry if anyone else is tired of the joke but I am certainly not.
Joke? What joke? Concussions are serious business.

TAKE OFF YOUR CAGES PEOPLE.