Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

sw1gger posted:

Oh man - you guys are starting to make me jelz with all this film :( I really like that last piece. For all you hasslekrew folk - how much did you spend on your gear?

My contribution:

I really like this, but the orange line of tall grass or whatever that intersects his head is distracting since it's fairly close to his hair/skin colour. Maybe desaturate it or shift the hues to a greener colour to match the rest of the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

evil_bunnY posted:

Any semi-recent DSLR.

Far from decent ;D It was a Nikon D60 with a semi-broken 18-55mm lens (it rattles when you shake it)

So while gear doesnt make the photog, I think we did alright.

The important part was the lighting.. Strobist inspired One Big Top Light

Rockin a D7000 now. Light years ahead of the old body.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 10, 2012

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Semi recent, not decent.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Cyberbob posted:

They're not exactly horrible shots. What the heck do you think we should do?

If you guys need the image for a project to work, then either ignore his request, or explain that it's too late to change things, and that you had him sign a release for this very reason. I'm guessing there is a context to the images where his somewhat-sinister look fits in, which he might not be seeing. Or he might also be overly self-conscious about his hairline, which the lighting seems to accentuate.

Either way, it's an honest shot of the guy, you explained the context in which they'd be used (I'm assuming) so it's really up to you what is more important in your life; this guy's friendship or having his photo in your project.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
If you guys think random people are pushy about controlling access to their pictures, wait till you start working with "models". :rolleyes:

EDIT: clarified

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 10, 2012

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Haha I was just curious because it had alot of detail and I've been curious how the d800 is performing in the studio for people, so I'm actually surprised it's not.

I don't shoot Nikon so it was just a curiosity thing, not that gear makes the photographer. It's a genuinely good portrait. :)

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

McMadCow posted:

If you guys think random people are pushy about controlling access to their pictures, wait till you start working with "models". :rolleyes:

Excuse me, can I just look through what you've shot so far? I don't like that one, you should delete it. Oh, I photograph better in this pose, trust me. Try to get the left side, that's my good side tehehe. It's me in the picture, I own my image! I know a little photoshop, I'm going to make your picture look more flattering. I look fat in this picture. And this one and this one and this one and this one and this one.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

nonanone posted:

Excuse me, can I just look through what you've shot so far? I don't like that one, you should delete it. Oh, I photograph better in this pose, trust me. Try to get the left side, that's my good side tehehe. It's me in the picture, I own my image! I know a little photoshop, I'm going to make your picture look more flattering. I look fat in this picture. And this one and this one and this one and this one and this one.

Both of you are talking about "models". There's a huge difference!

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

xenilk posted:

Both of you are talking about "models". There's a huge difference!

Thankfully I've reached the point where I have a distinctive enough "look" that I can work with models who realize right from the get-go that I'm not going to shoot to make them look "pretty". Every now and then, however, I'll get someone asking about headshots or multiple full-body looks for an agency submission or something. Like my gloomy, all B&W portfolio is just a front for the cheery catalog shooting I really yearn to be doing.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Just a casual portrait of a friend

Ivan by alkanphel, on Flickr

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

McMadCow posted:

Haha, we normally shoot models (not agency, but experienced ModelMayhem models), and have never had a problem like this before.

Ya certainly get the inexperienced models that consider "me skinny = good image" and don't know good photography from a bar of soap, but nothing like this.

The guy in my story at least is actually a photographer himself, so he should certainly know better. He'd know exactly what it's like for a model to back out like that.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 12, 2012

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Valerie by xxyzx road, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

The color shift is too strong for my tastes. I see that you were obviously going for a very magenta-y look, but I think it's too far in that direction to be tasteful. The pose seems a little awkward as well. Maybe it would be better if she were looking at the camera?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

LargeHadron posted:

The color shift is too strong for my tastes. I see that you were obviously going for a very magenta-y look, but I think it's too far in that direction to be tasteful. The pose seems a little awkward as well. Maybe it would be better if she were looking at the camera?

She's suffering from that "I know the camera's over there" expression, too - it's like she's half trying to smile at the camera even though she's not looking at it. Tell her to ignore the camera and direct her attention to a particular point in the direction she's looking (of your choosing, if you like).

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Headshot I snapped today. I still feel like I might be over-doing it on the eyes. Any thoughts?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

I would straighten that vertical bar from whatever she's leaning on (balcony?)

I agree that her expression is somewhat off, do you have other pictures? Maybe it's her relaxed face but I doubt it.

Here's one of mine:

IMG_1792 by avoyer, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

AtomicManiac posted:

Headshot I snapped today. I still feel like I might be over-doing it on the eyes. Any thoughts?

I think they are unnatural looking.

Sovi3t
Jan 11, 2005
purple monkey dishwasher

AtomicManiac posted:

I could be off here, but I think the shoulders are imbalanced, and it would look better if there was space between the collar and the frame. Moving the crop slightly to the right would resolve both of those issues.

The pose looks natural. The shirt looks a little tight, as there are ripples in the fabric emancipating from the top button.

The eyes look good, but when looking up close at the large version they do appear a tad overdone.

Just nitpicking though, it's a nice headshot.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sovi3t posted:

The pose looks natural. The shirt looks a little tight, as there are ripples in the fabric emancipating from the top button.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AtomicManiac posted:

Was the goal to make him look like he got his eye coloration from Melange addiction?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Was the goal to make him look like he got his eye coloration from Melange addiction?

Oh snap, da spice must flow!

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
I think the main issue was I was so zoomed in super close on the eyes and I went into full on post-production masturbation mode. When I zoomed out it was pretty bad. I made an effort to dampen the effect, but judging by the response here I didn't do it nearly enough.

As for the crop, It's out of camera like that, but I thought the expression was worth the awkward crop so I ran with it. Any tips to fix it using what I posted as a starting point?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Press ctrl-Z until he looks non-radioactive. Bump shadows. Done.

That expression isn't worth much IMO.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

What's Paul Konchesky up to these days, anyway?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

AtomicManiac posted:

I made an effort to dampen the effect, but judging by the response here I didn't do it nearly enough.

Show the before. Now.

I just wanted to post this girl's hair.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Straight from the camera:
Also here is the shot straight out of camera:

Here's a second attempt:

Eyes less Nuclear. Cropped it tighter to get it less awkward and a bit more contrast in the mix as well. Thoughts?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

AtomicManiac posted:

Here's a second attempt:

Eyes less Nuclear. Cropped it tighter to get it less awkward and a bit more contrast in the mix as well. Thoughts?

Color is better in the second, but you managed to bring out a lot of unwanted texture and detail in his skin. Whites in the eyes are still a little too bright. I didn't mind the crop of the first, but the second one works okay too.

Sovi3t
Jan 11, 2005
purple monkey dishwasher

AtomicManiac posted:

Here's a second attempt:

The crop is much better, but this is too much contrast. The first processing attempt you posted is my favorite, I'd just go a little easier on the eyes.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How do I take a picture like this?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

the posted:

How do I take a picture like this?

Press that red buttan there

But in all seriousness, do this:
- get a model
- sit them in front of a dark background, far away from said background
- light them with a window/softbox placed in front of them
- take a photo with low aperture
- change to BW, add contrast, make sure BG has no detail in it
- don't forget to make your model do something interesting

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Don't forget the freckles and a darker shade of lipstick.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Santa is strapped posted:

But in all seriousness, do this:
- get a model
- sit them in front of a dark background, far away from said background
- light them with a window/softbox placed in front of them
- take a photo with low aperture
- change to BW, add contrast, make sure BG has no detail in it
- don't forget to make your model do something interesting

I would add shoot at around 1/200 since you want most of the ambiant light off. It'll pretty much kill the dark background and make it a solid black

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
A guy asked me for a couple lines to add to a public collaborative poem, so I took his picture.

Poet by iantuten, on Flickr

ElMao
Aug 26, 2011

A revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or posting mspaints and pictures of cats to an internet forum.

AtomicManiac posted:

Jacked up the "clarity," eh? I like the looser crop, and the increased color contrast is tight, but I feel like his skin texture is just out of control. Dial it back on the clarity setting. Also, for my personal taste, I don't like the dark side of the face facing me. (unless it's a real stark contrast) I don't actually know the technical terms, but the lighting is balanced correctly on both sides of his face, but his head's turned slightly, giving more of his dark side. If you're going to show off the dark side, I'd prefer it to be REALLY dark. (And intentional when shooting, not done in post.)

BUT good subject, nice expression, and nice lighting.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
OK, three more from me. The first is another I shot at the office, as a part of my 'look people look badass' pseudo-series. I used a ringlight for fill here as it was the only 4th head I had handy. Since I was shooting from far away, it didn't create the ring-look in the eyes, but it did create some pretty interesting/strange shadows on his hands and arms. At least, I think that's what did it. It looks in places like a cranked the microcontrast/clarity way up, but I swear I didn't.

The other two are from a roadtrip I just got back from, and decided not to bring any lights with me on.

mister mamaril by thetzar, on Flickr

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

smiling eye by thetzar, on Flickr

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

thetzar posted:

OK, three more from me. The first is another I shot at the office, as a part of my 'look people look badass' pseudo-series. I used a ringlight for fill here as it was the only 4th head I had handy. Since I was shooting from far away, it didn't create the ring-look in the eyes, but it did create some pretty interesting/strange shadows on his hands and arms. At least, I think that's what did it. It looks in places like a cranked the microcontrast/clarity way up, but I swear I didn't.

The other two are from a roadtrip I just got back from, and decided not to bring any lights with me on.

mister mamaril by thetzar, on Flickr

Nice work here, monolights or speedlights? Modifiers, or bare flash? The 'ringlight' fill from what I've read is one of the best ways to use it, rather than the 'blast your model flat with a halo shadow' look that's so beloved of new ringlight owners :)

How do you build your lighting? It it metered or played by ear? Do you sync with pocketwizards or something else? control it all from the camera or set the lights individually? For folks just starting out trying off-camera light this kind of stuff is real helpful.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Nice work here, monolights or speedlights? Modifiers, or bare flash? The 'ringlight' fill from what I've read is one of the best ways to use it, rather than the 'blast your model flat with a halo shadow' look that's so beloved of new ringlight owners :)

How do you build your lighting? It it metered or played by ear? Do you sync with pocketwizards or something else? control it all from the camera or set the lights individually? For folks just starting out trying off-camera light this kind of stuff is real helpful.

Thanks! And I'd love to explain my fumbling attempts at lighting, I ought to anyway, so I can submit this to the Strobist group.

For this shot, I used a total of four lights. Three were studio strobes, all powered off of the same powerpack, which my office keeps around. All three were set to the same power. The rim highlights were created by two heads, one on each side. Each was the same height as the subject's head, and each was shooting bare (no umbrellas or other modifiers). These lights were almost even with the subject's body, placed slightly behind him.

The third light in the setup was located directly behind the subject, pointed at the backdrop.

The fourth light was a ringlight placed on the camera itself, and dialed almost as far down as it would go, just to provide a little bit of fill.

The rig is fired by a pocketwizard on the powerblock for the studio flashes. The ringlight is an AlienBees, firing on optical slave.

I learned studio lighting during the transition between film and digital, so I learned all about incident meters and even used a few polaroids, but I find digital to be a godsend. I pretty much go by my gut and play by ear. And watch the histogram — the LCD lies. (the histogram lies too, but not as much)

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Two shoots :)

IMG_1793 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_1765 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_2056 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_2058 by avoyer, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

^^^ Shot #1 is pretty nice. Nice hint of a look from her. You may want to clone out the black object at the bottom right, though. It's a little distracting and it doesn't seem to need to be there.

2 from this past weekend.

Bianca by McMadCow, on Flickr

Bianca on the Hillside by McMadCow, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

McMadCow posted:

^^^ Shot #1 is pretty nice. Nice hint of a look from her. You may want to clone out the black object at the bottom right, though. It's a little distracting and it doesn't seem to need to be there.

2 from this past weekend.

Bianca by McMadCow, on Flickr

Bianca on the Hillside by McMadCow, on Flickr

Thank you! I cloned it out, looks way better :)

I really dig the first one, the attitude and the looks is very powerful, it's the kind of pictures that get to me.

IMG_2222 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_2239 by avoyer, on Flickr

Taken at a nice Estate we have around here.