Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

UndyingShadow posted:

Buy a patch panel, wire them all up, plug a computer into one room and change the patch cable from the switch to the panel until you get a light on the switch...rinse and repeat?

Well, the cable tester should handle that part of it, assuming he also has a probe. But yeah, pretty much this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000
You can always go to Home Depot and pick up a cheap probe. I got a GB Instruments one for less than $20. It has alligator clips that help find anything.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Skip to the last paragraph if you dont like pointless back stories

So I recently discovered DD-WRT and Tomato. I didn't need most of the fancy features of either, I just wanted to boost my range which I understood I could through increasing the transmit power. Just to clarify here, everything was working fine, I just wanted better wifi upstairs. I'm using a Netgear WNR2000v2 router, and my ISP-issued Motorola SBG6580 modem. Win7 64

I loaded on DD-WRT fine, but the results weren't quite as I had hoped once I boosted the transmit power, I then found out about Tomato and the big thing that jumped out at me was "more user friendly" as networking is definitely the achilles heel of my computing experience. So I loaded Tomato, but still getting minuscule wifi signal from my bedroom, but alas it is just a cheapo refurbished router I got for $20 or something.

--

So I'm running Tomato and everything is pretty much the same as before, except now the router seems to think I'm in Virignia. I'm in Eastern Canada. I dont have a clue why, I didn't mess with anything other than the transmit power. This is evident when I post a facebook status, or do anything that uses location services, and both on this computer which is hardwired to the router and on my phone. I've gone through the settings in Tomato but I just dont know enough about it, and I dont know how to make it think I am where I am. Help?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 15, 2012

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Daddyo posted:

You can always go to Home Depot and pick up a cheap probe. I got a GB Instruments one for less than $20. It has alligator clips that help find anything.

Could you link said probe?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

codo27 posted:

So I'm running Tomato and everything is pretty much the same as before, except now the router seems to think I'm in Virignia. I'm in Eastern Canada. I dont have a clue why, I didn't mess with anything other than the transmit power. This is evident when I post a facebook status, or do anything that uses location services, and both on this computer which is hardwired to the router and on my phone. I've gone through the settings in Tomato but I just dont know enough about it, and I dont know how to make it think I am where I am. Help?

Did you check outside to make sure that somehow installing tomato and changing the transmit power didn't lead to you accidentally inventing teleportation?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

codo27 posted:

The most plausible thing I can think of is that changing the power caused the router to reboot and it got a new IP lease and the geolocation info for that IP block is off.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

bull3964 posted:

The most plausible thing I can think of is that changing the power caused the router to reboot and it got a new IP lease and the geolocation info for that IP block is off.

Meaning...? How do I fix this?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
So hey, just in case anybody was wondering, "2.4-2.5gHz" is actually different from "2.4-5gHz" when you're purchasing a wireless adapter.

Stupid reading comprehension. :smith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

codo27 posted:

Meaning...? How do I fix this?

If that IS the problem, there's not much you can do to fix it other than try to get a new IP. I'm not sure if there's a way for an individual to report a new location for an IP or not.

What does this webpage say about your IP?

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

bull3964 posted:

If that IS the problem, there's not much you can do to fix it other than try to get a new IP. I'm not sure if there's a way for an individual to report a new location for an IP or not.

What does this webpage say about your IP?

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

All info here is correct.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

codo27 posted:

All info here is correct.

It's probably going off the MAC address of the wifi. Try changing it to the MAC of your old router's wifi hardware.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Etrips posted:

Hey guys,

I need a bit of help in trying to determine where some uncrimped cables are going to and how people normally figure this out.

As the others suggested, since you're going to be doing them all anyway, just start crimping and then test them using the tester and a patch cable to the rooms. (And a friend on a walkie-talkie or cell phone)

That said, I thank god I have a toner when I walk into someones basement that looks like that... http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Networks-26000900-PRO3000-Analog/dp/B000FTADX0/

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Has anyone successfully used the Nanostations (or anything else) for around a mile of point-to-point bridging in a city?

We shoot these bad boys all over the place. A mile shouldn't be any big deal point-to-point. Making sure you have a clean line of sight is the real issue. They will be much more sensitive to that than lower spectrum equipment (2.4 and lower).

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

CuddleChunks posted:

We shoot these bad boys all over the place. A mile shouldn't be any big deal point-to-point. Making sure you have a clean line of sight is the real issue. They will be much more sensitive to that than lower spectrum equipment (2.4 and lower).

It's also important to note that "line of sight" doesn't mean "infinitely narrow line" so much as it means "zone"

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I have been having poor signal reception recently, InSSIDer currently reads 79, and this has been leading to occasional packet loss. I dont have access to the router, and I dont have a land connection in my apartment. I found that, however, if I move my PC away from the wall, even by 2-3 inches, it improves my signal reception a lot. Is there any way I can change where the signal is being picked up without moving my PC? Maybe a different antenna or something?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

manero posted:

It's probably going off the MAC address of the wifi. Try changing it to the MAC of your old router's wifi hardware.

Would that even matter? Isn't the geolocation just related to the WAN IP?

Check the address they give you here using your WAN IP: http://www.whatismyip.com/tools/ip-address-lookup.asp

We recently got a Static IP put in where I work, and the pool they gave us is geolocated to Quebec (we're in southern New York), but using that lookup tool it actually shows both the Quebec location and the proper one, so I don't know what the gently caress.

I would say call your ISP about it, but if your issue is just "It's mistagging my Facebook updates!" I doubt they're gonna do anything.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Meat Recital posted:

Is there any way I can change where the signal is being picked up without moving my PC? Maybe a different antenna or something?

Not knowing what wifi card you have, yes, a different antenna would be a good approach. If your card supports swapping in external antennas that can make a huge difference.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I'm having an issue with my Linksys E3000 with TomatoUSB... I previously had this build of tomato on my router:

tomato-E3000USB-NVRAM60K-1.28.0500.4MIPSR2Toastman-RT-N-Ext.bin

but today I went and changed the version to this build (upgrade with nvram wipe: )

tomato-E3000USB-NVRAM60K-1.28.0500.4MIPSR2Toastman-RT-N-VLAN-VPN.bin

Ever since doing the upgrade, my wireless connection has been acting wonky. If I were to connect to the wireless network with my Mac, my computer would be connected for a couple of seconds but the connection would then drop out. BUT if I leave my computer sitting for maybe a minute or so, my connection will be up and running and everything will be fine. This happens every time I connect to the wireless network (ie. putting my computer to sleep and then waking it,) whether the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands. Because of this weird behavior, I'm guessing that my phone can't connect to my network because it only tries to connect to the network once (and fails of course.)

I would like to use this particular build of tomatousb, but this problem is frustrating me. Any ideas what could be up?

e: I feel like it's some weird DHCP issue, but even if I set my devices to static IPs, it'll still crap out.

e2: So it's not some hardware issue 'cause I flashed the firmware back to the stock Linksys stuff and the wireless connection stayed solid. I then flashed it back to tomato and no go... but I just noticed that in the devices list, it shows the MAC address for my computer that's connected but it doesn't show the device name or a lease time associated with it. It seems that my devices aren't acquiring leases. What the crap's with that?

e3: God drat it. For whatever reason, DHCP was disabled on my LAN bridge. :doh: Enabled the little inconspicuous checkbox and I'm good to go. I need to go die and rot in a corner now...

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 19, 2012

Somebody
Jan 25, 2001

Heh

krnhotwings posted:

e3: God drat it. For whatever reason, DHCP was disabled on my LAN bridge. :doh: Enabled the little inconspicuous checkbox and I'm good to go. I need to go die and rot in a corner now...

If it makes you feel any better, Toastman disables DHCP by default (and this is what you encountered after updating). This is the only firmware I've seen that does this.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I've got ATT DSL and my little white 2WIRE modem/router is dying a slow painful death. This will be the second time its happened so I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for a different brand modem that they had had success with through ATT DSL. The home network isn't too complex, all it really needs to have is wireless and a few Ethernet ports in back. Eventually I would like to get a standalone router and put DD-WRT or something on it, but right now getting the modem itself replaced takes priority.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'm assuming there are no hardware locks with the service. I've switched to using a ether DM111P for adsl 2+. It's a simple modem with single network connection. Basically if you get additional features built into the modem you are throwing away money. Don't do wireless via a combo modem router. They are all poo poo unless you disable most or all of te extra features.

Then get a reasonably priced router from the op. I haven't done a price update for a while so you might find some good deals out there.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
That's about what I figured. These modem/router/wireless combos can do everything but they're not good at any of it...

I'm eyeing this combo on Amazon, has anyone here used this hardware or recommend something different?

Modem
Router <-- Has a DD-WRT release that I'd try to use with it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
They look fine.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Yeah, I have an Actiontec GT701D with a 12mbps DSL line, and I quite like it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I see the Actiontec has an entry for OpenWRT, but since it's just a standalone modem I don't know what functionality a firmware flash would add. I think I'll just stick with DD-WRT for the router but I'm curious if anyone knows what flashing a modem would actually change.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
My PS3 was stolen while I was at work tonight and I was wondering if I can get its MAC Address from my router. I have a D-link DIR-601. The PS3 was only connected via wifi however. If there is a better thread for this, please let me know.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

odinson posted:

My PS3 was stolen while I was at work tonight and I was wondering if I can get its MAC Address from my router. I have a D-link DIR-601. The PS3 was only connected via wifi however. If there is a better thread for this, please let me know.

Status -> Device Info

Look for LAN computers and see if the PS3's dhcp lease is still there.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
It shows the WAN / LAN / and Wireless LAN mac addresses which I believe are the router itself. Under "LAN Computers" it shows my 2 PCs, my Ipod touch, and my roommates phone. I guess this is a dead end.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
There might be a log of some sort?

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I've got to go to work now so I'll check that when I get home. A majority of Google searches are all information on logging in to the router, not an actual ip log. I gotta refresh my boolean knowledge.

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!
Can I use Ubiquiti Nanostation or Picostation as an AP? Just need to extend wifi range about 100m to laptops and iPads — don't need point-to-point or another router at the other end.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

do it posted:

Can I use Ubiquiti Nanostation or Picostation as an AP? Just need to extend wifi range about 100m to laptops and iPads — don't need point-to-point or another router at the other end.

Maybe. I have managed to get about 40-50 m range on an ipod touch with very good line of sight to my apartment using a typical home router. It depends on the environment that the devices are in and their transmission power.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My apartment currently has a WRT54GS and the wireless signal doesn't reach throughout the house. My room is straight down a hallway about 60 feet from the router. The signal isn't really even strong enough at 45 feet away.

I was going to buy an extender, but I just read this router has poor signal range. Should a new router be able to reach the 60+ feet? I could just replace it about the same cost instead of getting the extender.

edit: and Amazon makes this router look like the greatest thing ever. No mention of it in the OP. http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wireless-Router-802-11n-Internal/dp/B0044YU60M/ref=zg_bs_300189_1

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 27, 2012

Conkrad
Aug 27, 2012
I recently got a new computer from work, and it won't connect to my home network. I restored it to factory condition, and reinstalled the drivers for the wireless adapter card, but it won't identify my home network. The network adapter is a D-Link WDA 1320 and I'm trying to connect it to my home network which is AT&T Uverse, and the router is a 2wire 3800hgv-b. Hopefully that is enough information for at least an educated guess, I'm not so hot when it comes to home networking matters.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

KingKapalone posted:

I was going to buy an extender, but I just read this router has poor signal range. Should a new router be able to reach the 60+ feet? I could just replace it about the same cost instead of getting the extender.

edit: and Amazon makes this router look like the greatest thing ever. No mention of it in the OP. http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wireless-Router-802-11n-Internal/dp/B0044YU60M/ref=zg_bs_300189_1

Range is something people ask about. It's not possible to say with certainty that the range will be achieved even with commercial quality gear. It's also difficult to know which routers have the best range as that doesn't seem to get reviewed. I would recommend getting a more reputable brand.

In relation to the rebranded Tenda W268R it falls below the hardware minimum for being in the OP, and there are no special features or pricing to redeem it.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 27, 2012

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Conkrad posted:

I recently got a new computer from work, and it won't connect to my home network. I restored it to factory condition, and reinstalled the drivers for the wireless adapter card, but it won't identify my home network. The network adapter is a D-Link WDA 1320 and I'm trying to connect it to my home network which is AT&T Uverse, and the router is a 2wire 3800hgv-b. Hopefully that is enough information for at least an educated guess, I'm not so hot when it comes to home networking matters.

You'll need to start at the start. I'm assuming you are running windows 7? If so what does the network icon on the bottom right hand side tray show when you click it?

Conkrad
Aug 27, 2012
Vista, sorry, I should have been more clear. Anyway, when I click it it varies between saying "Currently Connected to Unidentified Network (2wire489)" or "Identifying Network". The home network's name is 2Wire489, so its finding that well enough.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Open the network and sharing centre from the network icon. It does sound like your computer is just labeling the network as unidentified and you may not have selected home network, or you might not have entered the wireless password. From Vista onwards windows deals with networks in a rather curious manner.

Conkrad
Aug 27, 2012
The wireless password checks out, and for some reason I don't have the option to label the network as home. When I open the network and sharing center the only options it gives me are "public" or "private". I made it private and nothing really changed, except it randomly changes back after a while.

When I go into the router's settings on a computer that works (I can't do this on the wonky one either), the computer I'm trying to connect shows up on the list of devices on the network and it says its connected DHCP.

Conkrad fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Does the wireless computer have Internet access? If so you probably have wireless isolation on.