Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any of the RTR Axial stuff is going to be pretty good out of the box. On this page you're mostly seeing Honchos. I don't think you have to do anything aftermarket other than some weights in the wheels, and even that is probably optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Can't beat the Honcho. They are awesome as a RTR (see the last page). The ready to run Ridgecrests and Wraiths are sweet, but the tires they come with are garbage. I'd go with either a Honcho or Wraith though. And yeah, don't make that trade. The guy would be ripping you off.

I was on rccrawler today (my name on there is thisdougsforu) and saw some rumblings that Axial is going to be releasing a new scaler in Q4. I wonder what it will be? While it will most likely be a new version of the scx10, I'd love to see them release a class 1 leaf spring truck (like a tamiya high lift or Trail Finder 2).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully it's a new vehicle and not just some minor upgrades. My guess is they'll be using the Wraith/Ridgecrest axles on whatever it is.

Has anyone had any experience with the Trail Finder 2? I love the way it looks, but in youtubes of it the suspension seems really stiff.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The trail finder 2 looks awesome but yeah, it seems like more of a looker. I heard and seen decent things about them. As for me, im not really a big fan of rc4wd after i bought a set of white steel oem wheels. They were an absolute nightmare to mount my pitbulls on, the hardware was junk, and the whole package just didnt look professional. Id be nervous about buying a kit from those guys after that....but again, ive heard the build quality is high on those trucks.

Ive decided on getting a set g8 proline swampers over the rc4wd baja claws because proline has never let me down.

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Cool video, I've actually seen that one before! Here's one I shot with my old Comanche scx10 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv0bBSJD44E (it's short).

I bought a small tripod for my camera, so I intend on doing some more video shorts like that on various types of terrain.

Cool man, I subbed your channel. Here try this video, I just uploaded it.....and its much shorter :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4FGvs2K_s

The wraith and ridegcrest have the rtr compound ripsaws. For some reason the boys at axial decided to put the R32 compound ripsaws on the RTR honcho. And I agree they do really well. Much better than most scale tires. I'm running the R32 ripsaws on my wraith as well as my honcho and I think they have too much grip lol.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Evil_Ash posted:

Cool man, I subbed your channel. Here try this video, I just uploaded it.....and its much shorter :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4FGvs2K_s

The wraith and ridegcrest have the rtr compound ripsaws. For some reason the boys at axial decided to put the R32 compound ripsaws on the RTR honcho. And I agree they do really well. Much better than most scale tires. I'm running the R32 ripsaws on my wraith as well as my honcho and I think they have too much grip lol.

Awesome video. I can't wait to shoot some stuff like that.

As for the tire thing, I'm just sticking with the RTR R35 compound Ripsaws for the time being. They hook up so well (that picture where I'm climbing a 70 degee angle) that I can't justify spending the money right now.

edit - I love those dudes pulling trailers in the video. What is that, a gremlin?

double edit - This fall we will have to meet up. My wife and I have been wanting to do a KC trip to eat BBQ and all that sometime this fall. Maybe I can plan it on a day you guys are doing a scale run?

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 6, 2012

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"

Awesome video. I can't wait to shoot some stuff like that.

As for the tire thing, I'm just sticking with the RTR R35 compound Ripsaws for the time being. They hook up so well (that picture where I'm climbing a 70 degee angle) that I can't justify spending the money right now.

edit - I love those dudes pulling trailers in the video. What is that, a gremlin?

double edit - This fall we will have to meet up. My wife and I have been wanting to do a KC trip to eat BBQ and all that sometime this fall. Maybe I can plan it on a day you guys are doing a scale run?

Yea dude, that sounds awesome. We can point you to the non touristy BBQ too :)

Lol, The blue car is a AMC Pacer.

We usually have our biggest scale get togethers in the fall. Subscribe to the KCRC Scalers thread on RCC to stay up to date on when we have them. I shot you a friend request on there.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Through the r/c crawler forum I've found a couple other local STL guys who all trail by themselves like I do. We are meeting this Sunday at a state park for our first run :)

We've decided that if it works out we are going to start a scale club that meets once a month at a different park in the STL area.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 8, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In non-scaler news, I pulled the trigger on a Pede 4x4 rolling chassis. Cant wait to be pulling wheelies again! I like my Slash, but I'm not racing anymore, so the bashing isnt as fun with it.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
I been thinking about a pede 4x4 roller as well, how do you plan to set it all up?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

In non-scaler news, I pulled the trigger on a Pede 4x4 rolling chassis. Cant wait to be pulling wheelies again! I like my Slash, but I'm not racing anymore, so the bashing isnt as fun with it.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I took my Sprint 2 Flux out today to drive it and after awhile I figured something was wrong. I ran the car while I had it sitting up on its rear and I could stop the rear wheels by touching them as well as the front right wheel while it was going full blast.

This being a 4wd car this was a problem. I checked the rear diff and it just needed to be tightened, the front right wheel on the other hand had managed to ground the Nut the wheel goes over, and inside of the wheel all to hell.

I made a temporary fix with some tape and tested it out and now its ultra fast since its putting out all the power on 4 wheels instead of one. I will need to gear it down again to help with engine cooling and control-ability.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HoWSeR posted:

I been thinking about a pede 4x4 roller as well, how do you plan to set it all up?

I'm yanking the VXL system out of my slash for it, along with my Traxxas 2.4G system.

I'll also be re-using what I still maintain is the BEST.BODY.EVER. from my old stampede.

For now I'll be running my slash wheels and tires on it till I can figure out what I want to buy for the pede.

I also did all the math, and to do a proper slash 4x4-to-pede 4x4 conversion would cost around $150, so instead of putting together some brand new pede parts and some old slash parts to make the pede, I just bought one of these instead for the same price

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 10, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Having a fast option in addition to the SCX10 would be nice for the trails out here. The SCX10 is so good at going over stuff that it can get boring if it's not fairly difficult terrain. There are some dirt paths out here that look like they'd be amazing with something faster. I've been most intrigued by the Losi Mini 8ight. Anyone played around with one?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Here is my buddies Slash with Stampede tires. They are the monster jam edition tires. I think it looks great!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is it more or less friendly in that configuration ?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've run MT tires on a slash before, so I can say it gets more monster truck-y, but the longer wheelbase still makes it basically a lifted slash. If you're looking to run your slash more effectively over rough terrain or grass, its a good, cheap upgrade.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I think there are only a couple of regular racers ITT, but I thought I'd just pipe up and say I've been to a couple of the tightest, most professionally-run races the past two weekends and I just have to big 'em up:

The EFRA 1/8th On-Road European Championships (where I got to see an early hero of mine, 9-time World Champion Lamberto Collari, race), and the EFRA 1/8th Off-Road European Championships, which just wrapped up a couple of hours ago.

Both races ended up being so extremely tight, depending on strategy like refueling and tire use (and tire pit stops in the case of the on-road cars), I highly recommend going to watch some championship-level racing if you ever get the chance. The buggy race was more interesting to me because of the jumps but the on-road racing was amazing, mainly because the cars are doing about 60-70mph at the end of the straight, and the car control of the top guys was absolutely astounding.

The complete off-road final race is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjGOYWR_d04&t=23573s
(skip to 6:37 if the video doesn't start just before the final)
...highlight video coming soon (the guys are editing/uploading it as I type)

The full on-road final race is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtwbpTkVMgM&t=22863s
skip to 6:21 if the video doesn't start at the right time
(watch for the completely different tire strategies of the top 3 guys)
...highlight video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvHG1RyltNI

I know most or all of the guys ITT are American, but the European racers are really coming up, especially in off-road, and I thought you guys might enjoy some close racing featuring guys you don't read about in the magazines.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, those onroad cars are insane! Can you give some examples of cars that are running in that race? I have no idea what sort of vehicles those are.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sure!

Here's the car the winner drove: http://www.redrc.net/2010/05/mugen-mrx-5-18th-scale-chassis/ (don't think this is the latest version but there are lots of pictures of expensive carbon fiber and machine alloy...)

And the car 2nd place drove: http://www.rc-nieuws.nl/capricorn-lab-c801-18-scale-onroad/ and a build thread on RC Tech: http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/463259-capricorn-lab-c801-1-8-scale.html

The most popular make used to be the Serpent brand http://www.serpent.com/product/903011 but independently wealthy company owners plus lots of CNC machines means there's a lot more competition for Serpent these days, so Serpent have moved into products like 1/8th buggy and electric touring car.

There's also the Shepard Velox and Motonica brand, but they didn't finish in the top 3 I think, you can Google those pretty easily but like the other brands they're primarily European-based. I'm not sure what the biggest brands are in the US, I'd guess Serpent just because of the longtime brand recognition but there are probably guys who are happy to have the unique coolness of having something European, expensive and hard to find parts for (kind of like being an Alfa or Maserati owner I guess!).

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

That onroad racing is awesome to watch. Those guys are on rails! I wish we had a track like that around here!

The control those guys are exhibiting is top notch. Getting twitchy at that speed could be disasterous.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Oh yeah - in every quali heat and in all of the lower finals, there were at least 2 or 3 cars that would hit the curb on the fast sweeper and crash out on the (full-size) tires on the outside of the corner. If they were unlucky they'd go over the tires and into the double-layer chain link fence, usually leaving in two or more pieces.

For the off-road Euros I was just at, here are the final few minutes of the race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYMeDC_XlNg
The blue/white car is GB racer Darren Bloomfield, chasing down Swedish 17-year old David Ronnefalk (reigning Junior Champion and - neither had won the Euros before and the 3-time champion and the 2-time champion were well down the order, one in 3rd and the other in 4th, not able to catch up. Darren and David had made a couple of big mistakes each, and Darren had caught up with a super fast sprint pace (thus the mistakes) plus being on 1 fuel stop less than everyone else (about 9 minutes) - David started from pole but wasn't as fast on raw pace. Very thrilling end to the race!

The win for Darren is the first for a driver from the UK after about 30 years of the championship existing, and don't feel bad for David, the kid's 17 and is destined to have a few titles by the time he's 25, and probably more after that as well

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Mod Tourers at my club are pretty god drat quick. for reference a fast 21.5T spec lap is about 21 sec (with VTA 21.5 being about 22-23) and the mods are pushing low 15s.

The way I see it is that they are effectively hitting the same corner speed as the 21.5 class, they are just gassing/braking a lot more on the straights. it seems pointless to me when 21.5 and even 17.5 is gobs of fun.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

VTA is the one type of racing that could bring me back. Sucks we don't have a nice on road scene here. Do those VTA tires last awhile? I know some of the mod carpet guys go through tires like a NASCAR team.

Odd question - anyone here ever take their R/C on a plane trip? I ask because in 2 weeks my wife and I are flying to a killer beach condo for a week's vacation and I've decided I really want to bring my SCX10 to hit the dunes during downtime. I'm going to just bring the truck w/ battery and a charger (i.e. no toolbox). Is there any issue with just packing it in a suitcase? The Lipo battery is what I'm concerned with. I'll use a Lipo sack when it's stored away, but are there any other issues i'll run into with the airline?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I would love it if there were a VTA style class in the UK. As it is, everything is oriented around very competitive BRCA racing, or it's club-level hack racing, and I have no desire to have the highest level of electronics/tires, or have to rebuild my car every week from people crashing into it. I suppose that makes it sound pretty bad but if you make friends and see the same people every week it is a good scene.

As far as travel, the rules might vary from airline to airline but I think if you have a hardcase pack in a fireproof sack, and put it in your luggage (not carry-on) you'll be fine.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Vta tires last a good while, easily 6-7 3 race meets if you rotate, condition and have good alignment.

And vta is basically "rubbing is racing" at our club. The bigger your car, the more right of way you have.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Upgraded my tires to RC4WD's IROK Swamper tires in new ultra soft compound....they grip like a m'f'er.

Here is a short video I shot at a local creek.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIAALrL_NAI

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

stop posting about crawlers and start posting about this bigfoot thing thats coming out god dammit!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Laserface posted:

stop posting about crawlers and start posting about this bigfoot thing thats coming out god dammit!

Sorry but I'm under an NDA and details are still changing on it. I'll post more when I can.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honcho looks great in that stream. There's a park near me with a pretty neat little stream area, but I have no waterproofing just yet so I keep to the edges (it also smells really bad so I probably won't spend much time down there till winter.)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

powderific posted:

Honcho looks great in that stream. There's a park near me with a pretty neat little stream area, but I have no waterproofing just yet so I keep to the edges (it also smells really bad so I probably won't spend much time down there till winter.)

Ha, I don't have any waterproofing done either! I figure I need a new servo anyways so if the stocker blows from water running, then that will be a sign to change it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Upgraded my tires to RC4WD's IROK Swamper tires in new ultra soft compound....they grip like a m'f'er.

Here is a short video I shot at a local creek.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIAALrL_NAI

Those look like Interco TSL Super Swampers, not Interco IROK. Do they work well ? I want to get a honcho and run Pit bull Rockers on it.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

krushgroove posted:

I think there are only a couple of regular racers ITT, but I thought I'd just pipe up and say I've been to a couple of the tightest, most professionally-run races the past two weekends and I just have to big 'em up:

*race stuff*

Been a busy race season for sure. I haven't hit many bigger races but a few weeks ago I ran in the Byron Fuels Heartland Challenge at the Hobbytown Hobbyplex in Omaha, NE. loving phenomenal facility, if you're ever in the area stop by and check it out. Huge store, indoor pitting with nice tables, power, and more importantly... A/C! Last year they put up a huge building covering their (formerly) outdoor track. This thing has 16 garage doors so nitro racing is almost like being outside, but with the added bonus of shade, more consistent track conditions, and of course no rainouts!

I raced sportsman nitro buggy and electric 1/8th buggy. Interestingly enough those were the classes with the largest amount of entries. I'm pretty new to nitro so I didn't want to dice it up with the pro guys. I still can't tune worth a drat and fought my engine most of the weekend. I still had a couple decent qualifiers that stuck me 5th in the 30 minute Sportsman A main. After a hilariously bad start (it's a 30 minute race you jerks, you're not going to win it in the first corner! :fuckoff:) where I was punted in the first and second corner both, I was towards the back of the pack. Worked my way back up to 3rd and ran out of fuel :downs:.

That'd be the name of the game for the rest of the race. My tune was so rich (and the way the track was laid out did not play nice with my 'lil .19 engine. Lots of jumps with a short runup needed lots of throttle) I was going through fuel at a ridiculous rate. Every time I pitted my tank was on fumes. Third pit stop I flamed out after exiting pit lane. Forth stop went without a hitch and I'd worked my way back into 4th position. I had nearly a 17 second lead over fifth on the last lap and my car sputtered halfway down the back straight... one more corner and a short uphill to the line. loving thing runs out of fuel in the last corner, I coast up the hill and stop five freaking feet from the line :suicide:. One of my pit guys ran over and shoved my car across the line. The race director (correctly) removed that last lap, but for some reason my total race time remained the same, instead of when I crossed the loop on my second to last lap. Because of this I dropped from 4th to 6th. Oh well.

Electric was a different story.. from the beginning of qualifying I was well into A-main territory, up towards the front of the pack. Electric classes ran AAA mains at this race. Ended up qualifying 4th in the A, and finished 3rd in all three races. And of course, my electric car idled PERFECTLY! It's nice to not have to deal with the headaches of nitro, figuratively and literally. But, electric racing definitely lacks the visceral experience of nitro racing. Long mains, the noise, the smell... it's a totally different type of racing.

:words: over, have a couple pics

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you live in Omaha, needknees, or did you just come for the race? I've been to that hobbytown many times but never actually checked out the track.

This is probably a dumb question, but how do those tracks work anyway? As in, do you join a club for access, or can you pay a fee to get on it and screw around for practice, or what? They don't have any info on their website and the staff in the shop always seem super busy so I've never bothered asking.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Nah I live in central IA. We have a pretty big group of people who regularly attend the bigger races in Omaha though.

Not 100% sure but I think there's a nominal fee ($5 bucks for all day or something) to practice on non-race days, and it's open to anyone. No club to join or anything, just stop at the register before hitting the track. If you're interested in racing I'm pretty sure their normal club race night is on Fridays. They have a beginner class that would be great to start out in.

Check out the threads in the NE forum on RCTech, the locals seem pretty helpful :)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nebraska-racing-76/

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Going to be a busy weekend.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Nice! Will be interested to see how you like the 'rango 1/8th. I recently switched from the 22 to the DEX210 for 1/10th and really like how the car performs. Now that GP bought out Durango parts are much easier to come by in the US.

If anyone is looking to get into 1/8th gas or electric pretty cheap, contact me. I'm changing platforms and have AE RC8.2 and RC8.2e rollers for sale.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Would anyone be interested in my Hyper 7? The motor is in pieces, but other than that and a receiver, the thing is RTR.

Or, my HPI Blitz? I have a lipo battery and a brand new 17.5 brushless motor never ran.

Only $200 for the Hyper 7, and $125 for the blitz with everything included.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

needknees posted:

Nice! Will be interested to see how you like the 'rango 1/8th. I recently switched from the 22 to the DEX210 for 1/10th and really like how the car performs. Now that GP bought out Durango parts are much easier to come by in the US.

If anyone is looking to get into 1/8th gas or electric pretty cheap, contact me. I'm changing platforms and have AE RC8.2 and RC8.2e rollers for sale.

I would be very interested in that RC8 you got bud. Maybe we could trade for your roller for my RTR? (with motor in pieces *cough *cough*)

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Would anyone be interested in my Hyper 7? The motor is in pieces, but other than that and a receiver, the thing is RTR.

Or, my HPI Blitz? I have a lipo battery and a brand new 17.5 brushless motor never ran.

Only $200 for the Hyper 7, and $125 for the blitz with everything included.

Is there an ESC in that Blitz? What motor is it? ESE or RTR? etc., etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

needknees posted:

I'll answer any questions but I'm entirely new to the whole brushless thing and buggy thing, my previous 2 cars have been 1/8 nitro truggies (HyperST, Losi 8eight 2.0). So most of my answers will sound like "yeah its fast and turns real well".

They forgot to include the oils in this kit so I'll be searching shops in LA for suspension/diff oils. Other than that, I'm still waiting for batteries to be delivered.