Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Hey, ClaDun X2 has finally come out on steam! We've only known about it since Feburary, but there you go. It's even on sale until Legasista's release date (Aug 21)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Emalde posted:

Hey, ClaDun X2 has finally come out on steam! We've only known about it since Feburary, but there you go. It's even on sale until Legasista's release date (Aug 21)!

Holy poo poo, I would have missed this. Cool release!

Fractial
Apr 28, 2005

When we spin we feel good.

Polite Tim posted:

Longevity - ?/10

TL:DR: Gameplay good, everything else mediocre

About that 1/4 of the map uncovered, from my experience the other 3/4 is convoluted and short. The game could really have benefited from a complete playable world the large map depicts and the first few zones accomplish.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finally finished Ys VI. Overall, not bad. I found the lack of quick travel to be a little bit frustrating though. Also you could tell the sword usage was just slightly off from Felghana and in general it was harder to hit enemies. Which makes sense, since it came before Oath anyway.

Now to wait for the Vita remake of IV.

E: I keep forgetting I bought Origin on Steam.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 16, 2012

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Emalde posted:

This any good?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So for those in here awaiting Ragnarok Odyssey to come out in the US on Vita, some good news and bad news. Bad news first, pretty much every retailer moved the release date back to Oct. 16, and there's still been no word from XSEED of an "official" date.

The good news, if you're the impatient type, is that the Hong Kong version of RO released today and comes in not only Chinese, but complete English as well. There's no word as of yet on if it'll be compatible with the US and other versions for online play, but it does let you transfer saves from a JP version.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree

Largejaroalmonds posted:

This any good?

I played it on the PSP and loved it. Real time action RPG elements with new and interesting item and character progression methods. Dunno how it'll be on the PC but I can't see it being bad if you like that sort of thing.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

J-Spot posted:

My opinions of the game were pretty much the same as yours when I reached the 12 hour mark, but as I went the game started to wear on me. At first it's kind of amazing how much content they put into the game, but eventually you reach a point where you just want to progress and there's another three exclamation points on your map every time you walk an inch forward. The quests start to become more and more repetitive, and I wound up at the point where there was no better loot to be had in the game but I still had nearly half the map left unexplored. Finally I just said to hell with it and killed off the main quest. Ultimately I thought it was a fun game, but apart from combat everything it does is done better in Skyrim. I'd recommend it to fans of the genre, but I suggest concentrating on the main and faction quests and only worrying about the miscellaneous quests during the post-game if you're still compelled to play.

Sometimes just doing the main quest is the best course of action in these kinds of games. In Skyrim the quest structure is inventive enough that you can justify taking a diversion from saving the world to investigate a murder or steal some poo poo, it really boils down to the flavour text and how the quests are structured. Those bright yellow '!'s are getting on my nerves a bit, but that's the MMO in it talking I guess

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I posted this in the 3ds thread already, but I figure this is a good place to ask too.

What's Dragon Quest Monters: Joker 2 like? I really enjoyed Dragon Quest IX and haven't played any other Dragon Quest games. DQIX is probably the only jrpg I've played where I grinded for fun, the crafting system was about the only one in a game I've ever really enjoyed. Playing with the montsers seems fun, but for whatever reason Pokemon games never really clicked with me, so those comparisons make me a little leary, but I've also only ever played them through emulators.

Fake Edit: I haven't played a ton of other jrpgs, but the ones I've enjoyed have been Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Mother 3, Final Fantasy 4 and Lost Odyssey. FF4 and the first boss in Earthbound are the only ones I felt the need to grind in but Lost Odyssey does have a higher random encounter rate than I like, so I only got about halfway through. How do random encounters in Joker 2 work, does a monster visibly have to run into you like in DQIX, I'm not a fan of battle screens popping out of no where like in Final Fantasy and Lost Odyssey.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I started playing Kingdoms of Amalur and did every quest I became aware of, main or sidequest. I burned out somewhere in the middle of the desert or the grassy highlands area, whichever came later. I think if I'd have stuck with just the main quest, I might have actually finished the game, but who knows.

The thing that killed the game for me personally though was the fact that the zone-level-locking mechanic existed, which always forced me to be way too careful about where I went because I knew that if I ventured too far and actually did one of the most fun things you can do in an open-world RPG (exploring the unknown, way-too-dangerous zones ahead, before you're ready), I'd just screw myself out of any challenging fun later on.

Also, the fact that all the gear you crafted had the best stats but the worst, most boring aesthetics in the entire game meant the whole loot element of the game, which incidentally was supposed to be one of the game's biggest draws, was rendered pretty moot, except you were always taunted by awesome looking stuff you didn't dare equip for fear of making yourself too weak. This could have been solved easily by giving players the ability to make anything they crafted look like anything they've had in their inventory up until that point, but of course you couldn't do that.

And finally, this last thing is a nitpick, but there was absolutely no reason characters couldn't have had both their equipped weapons displayed on them all the time. It would have looked ten times more badass, and as much as I hate the whole ~my immersion~ thing, having your weapon magically swap between two things constantly really took me out of the experience.

Basically, I think Amalur could have been a lot more fun than it was with just a few small changes here and there. Maybe I'll go back and finish it some day, but for now I just don't see the point.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I started playing Kingdoms of Amalur and did every quest I became aware of, main or sidequest. I burned out somewhere in the middle of the desert or the grassy highlands area, whichever came later. I think if I'd have stuck with just the main quest, I might have actually finished the game, but who knows.

The thing that killed the game for me personally though was the fact that the zone-level-locking mechanic existed, which always forced me to be way too careful about where I went because I knew that if I ventured too far and actually did one of the most fun things you can do in an open-world RPG (exploring the unknown, way-too-dangerous zones ahead, before you're ready), I'd just screw myself out of any challenging fun later on.

Also, the fact that all the gear you crafted had the best stats but the worst, most boring aesthetics in the entire game meant the whole loot element of the game, which incidentally was supposed to be one of the game's biggest draws, was rendered pretty moot, except you were always taunted by awesome looking stuff you didn't dare equip for fear of making yourself too weak. This could have been solved easily by giving players the ability to make anything they crafted look like anything they've had in their inventory up until that point, but of course you couldn't do that.

And finally, this last thing is a nitpick, but there was absolutely no reason characters couldn't have had both their equipped weapons displayed on them all the time. It would have looked ten times more badass, and as much as I hate the whole ~my immersion~ thing, having your weapon magically swap between two things constantly really took me out of the experience.

Basically, I think Amalur could have been a lot more fun than it was with just a few small changes here and there. Maybe I'll go back and finish it some day, but for now I just don't see the point.

I've been interested in playing through KoA at some point when I can pick it up cheap, so I haven't followed it much since release. After reading all this, my first thought was for the PC, is there any sort of modding community? Is that even possible with it?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I always saw KoA as a kind of "babbies first Skyrim". I know a lady friend of mine who usually only plays stuff like Viva Pinata and Fable was pretty intrigued by it. So if you want to get someone into Open World RPGs it does the job pretty well.

In other news I recently bought Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 from GOG and TuTu'ed that poo poo up. Still an amazing game and the HardTimes mod makes the beginning really really... well, hard. It removes most of the easy-to-get magic items, ups the prices in stores and such because hey remember that Iron Crisis business?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Flumpus posted:

After reading all this, my first thought was for the PC, is there any sort of modding community?

Not really. And unfortunately the company that made it imploded in a storm of poor management so thorough that it will serve as a cautionary tale for years to come. So there's not much interest in building one.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Quick reminder - Way of the Samurai 4 is dropping Tuesday for the PS3 (PSN only). If you've ever played a WotS game before, you're probably as excited as me!

For those who haven't, it's basically a choose your own adventure story of a ronin in a place that is industrializing, and you can roleplay and take it seriously, or just go have fun and attack villagers or whatever. Hopefully 4 is as great as 3 was.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Flumpus posted:

I've been interested in playing through KoA at some point when I can pick it up cheap, so I haven't followed it much since release. After reading all this, my first thought was for the PC, is there any sort of modding community? Is that even possible with it?

Yeah, like Stroth said, modding is pretty much a solid "no." Hell, I still can't even get the FoV fix to work.

About the most "modding" you can do is to use a trainer to cheat yourself infinite stat points or whatever.

Oh, and one more thing about Amalur, speaking of the FoV patch. Amalur has one of the worst cameras of any RPG I've ever played. The FoV is locked at a horribly narrow viewing angle (probably not too bad if you're on a couch 30 feet away from a TV though), and you cannot zoom in or out, and the zoom is defaulted ridiculously close to your character. Also, the point where your camera pivots around your character is set way too low to the ground. All this means that even though the world is great big, open, and expansive, you'll always feel horribly claustrophobic because you'll always feel like you're fighting against the camera to see around the character, because apparently the developers thought that the back of your character should take up a fifth of the screen, and the ground immediately behind your character should take up about a third of it. The camera placement really is that poor.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 16, 2012

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, like Stroth said, modding is pretty much a solid "no." Hell, I still can't even get the FoV fix to work.

About the most "modding" you can do is to use a trainer to cheat yourself infinite stat points or whatever.

Oh, and one more thing about Amalur. It has one of the worst cameras of any RPG I've ever played. You cannot zoom in or out, and the zoom is defaulted ridiculously close to your character, and the point where your camera pivots around your character is way too low to the ground. All this means that even though the world is great big, open, and expansive, you'll always feel horribly claustrophobic. The entire time I played, I fought the camera to see what was going on around the world because apparently the developers thought that the back of your character should take up a fifth of the screen, and the ground immediately behind your character should take up about a third of it. The camera placement really is that poor.

That sounds pretty frustrating... I tried to play the demo on PC when it came out. The first part is when you're in that first dungeon I guess, and it starts out with them taking you down to your cell (that may not be exactly right, but something like that). Anyway, I thought the whole first thing was incredibly atmospheric because the screen was completely black, and all you had to go off of were sounds. Then I got control of my character, still completely black (character creation showed up fine), and I thought "huh, you must have to walk around blind for a second". After about a minute of that, I realized something was horribly broken and there should in fact be seeing graphics. Downloaded it on the PS3, and hey, you actually CAN see everything going on from the very beginning!

Oh well, maybe someday when it's $5 and I have nothing else to play...

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Flumpus posted:

Oh well, maybe someday when Amalur is $5 and I have nothing else to play...

The worst part is that the moment to moment gameplay is fun! Combat is fun. Exploring the world is fun. Abilities feel feel kinetic and weighty. Gear looks good. Doing missions actually makes you feel like you're accomplishing something. You actually do feel the slow growth of power that most people play RPGs for in the first place. And I don't know what it is, but the MMO quest style Amalur has that treats quests as kind of a set-em-up, knock-em-down list type system, where you go to a quest hub, get a bunch of them, then check them off your list as you go is really satisfying. It really gives you an "a place for everything, and you get to go around putting everything in its place" kind of OCD satisfaction that's relatively unique in non-MMO gaming these days.

The saddest thing of all is that there are several very good parts to this game, and it really could have been something special if only all those good parts weren't buried so deep in and surrounded by all the other garbage that takes the entire experience down.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 18, 2012

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Flumpus posted:

That sounds pretty frustrating... I tried to play the demo on PC when it came out. The first part is when you're in that first dungeon I guess, and it starts out with them taking you down to your cell (that may not be exactly right, but something like that). Anyway, I thought the whole first thing was incredibly atmospheric because the screen was completely black, and all you had to go off of were sounds. Then I got control of my character, still completely black (character creation showed up fine), and I thought "huh, you must have to walk around blind for a second". After about a minute of that, I realized something was horribly broken and there should in fact be seeing graphics. Downloaded it on the PS3, and hey, you actually CAN see everything going on from the very beginning!

The exact same thing happened to me, and I thought the same as you! I remember it talking about being dead, so I assumed you weren't supposed to see anything. I eventually figured out what the problem was, but it was one of the things that made me wait rather than preorder. Probably a good thing, though I'll likely grab it when it's down around $20.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Flumpus posted:

Yeah, you have to turn off... something in the graphics menu. I can't remember what. They fixed that for the full game though.

And if anyone does bother to pick this up: The Legend of Dead Kell DLC is worth grabbing as well. The other one was crap but Dead Kell had some really good stuff.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Would anyone say Dragon Age 2 is worth a try at 8 bucks?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Sure; it's not great, but I had a fine time with it for 10 bucks and going in with everyone on SA saying that it killed their dog or whatever. Lack of dungeon variety is a bummer, but the game isn't really long enough for it to be that big of a deal.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I hated DA2, and even then I'd say go for it at $8. If nothing else, it's a surprisingly long game and carries on the Bioware habit of rewarding you for combing every area, and it's easily possible to sink enough time into it to make up that amount. Besides, I also think it's a game worth playing, even if you end up disliking it, exactly because it's so contentious.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Tae posted:

I loving hated that game, but I've definitely cooled down on it, to the point where I actually sort of enjoyed a second playthrough. Lack of variety isn't a bummer, to me, it becomes insufferable as the game progresses. Many, many characters are atrociously written, but some are so terrible they're actually enjoyable. There are endless amounts of poo poo that just gets dropped, story-wise, and the romances are the kind of thing people might point to when mocking BioWare.

But that's kind of the beauty of it. There is so much wrong with this game - especially Merrill - but it's sort of fun to play it with that in mind, and to embrace it.

And there are legitimately good points. The voice acting is often quite good, especially the tremendous Gideon Emery, who manages to make his brooding doofus of a character likable. The female version of Hawke is voiced by the same person who voiced Brynn Cole in Mass Effect 3, if you played that. I thought she did a tremendous job, especially with the sarcastic responses, which almost seem to mock the game itself at times.

Basically, you have to understand you're in the role of Hawke, the stupid loving idiot who is dumb and deserves no better than endlessly slogging through the exact same cave, the same exact mountainside, the same exact building, fighting endless hordes of teleporting enemies who explode into the exact same mess upon death. I'd say go wild if it's only $8.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tae posted:

8 bucks to play through half of it is okay enough. Just don't be afraid to stop playing it when the repetitive areas gets to be too much.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What in the gently caress, enemies are dropping in like parkour from the buildings. The enemy placements make no sense.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tae posted:

What in the gently caress, enemies are dropping in like parkour from the buildings. The enemy placements make no sense.

Haha, yeah, it gets worse. DA2 has a lot of real bad design decisions and it just can't resist shoving them into your face.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Dragon Age 2 is an exercise in wasted potential and squandered credibility. Everything about it screams "Rush Job". Literally the only thing worthwhile is the voice acting, in my opinion. It's pretty at points but enemy placement is offensively lazy, the environment reuse borders on insulting and the story is about King Dummy and his band of Merry Men. Hawke might be one of the most clueless heroes I've ever seen. Sometimes when he talks, I close my eyes and pretend it's a scene from Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

It's not the worst game I've ever played but the decline in overall quality from the original Dragon Age is steep and apparent. But for 8 bucks it's worth making up your own mind.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I wouldn't have recommended it even for 8 bucks. There's just better things to do with your time.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I'd love to see the old DA2 thread though. I always heard stories about how goons hate the game and I certainly agree but I've never read a decent in-depth analysis of why the game is a steaming turd.

Jesus I was so angry after buying it full price.

Oh and by the way the offensively dumb enemy spawning made it into TOR, too. It's somehow less offensive there though because it only happens once during fights.

Edit: I found http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449674 and Jesus gently caress it brings bad/hilarious memories.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 18, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DA2 isn't the worst game ever made but it's one of those rare cases where it is inexcusably bad. Nobody is shocked when Bartz Baby Pony Party sucks because it's not really surprising. Dragon Age 2 is a marked step backwards from the first in almost every way for reasons that make no sense whatsoever aside from "We gotta get this poo poo out fast." That is, at least to me, the reason why it really just sort of disgusts me. It's akin to Devil May Cry 2 where it feels like everyone involved just had no idea what the gently caress they were doing.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Levantine posted:

Dragon Age 2 is an exercise in wasted potential and squandered credibility. Everything about it screams "Rush Job".

EA tried to make Dragon Age into a yearly franchise kinda thing, and DA2 is the result...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Goddamn, I'm only in Act 1 but people weren't exaggerating when they were talking about re-used areas. They literally just put two different map areas together and called it an entirely "new" area. How much better is Act 2?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Tae posted:

Goddamn, I'm only in Act 1 but people weren't exaggerating when they were talking about re-used areas. They literally just put two different map areas together and called it an entirely "new" area. How much better is Act 2?

Hahahahahahahahaha.

(quit now because oh man if it's hitting you this early, you're hosed)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

(quit now because oh man if it's hitting you this early, you're hosed)

No, don't do this! It's kind of nostalgic, watching it happen to someone else in real-time.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DA2 release thread. Never forget.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

Yeah, about that....

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ugh you trolls haven't even played the game yet, how can be so sure it'll be bad agh you're just determined to hate it ... ... ... oh.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

SomeChump posted:

Ugh you trolls haven't even played the game yet, how can be so sure it'll be bad agh you're just determined to hate it ... ... ... oh.

My favorite memory of the DA2 thread was someone basically doing exactly this. He was crowing about how fun the game was, until he hit a point where he just started ranting about how stupid and lovely it got.

One cool thing about act 2 is there are some decent conversations, I guess?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My favorite part about DA2 was when the last boss uses that party wide stun in order to give a mid fight speech, and if you had the sword n shield chick (forgot her name) in your party, she was immune to stuns so she just mindlessly auto attacked the invincible boss while they continued talking. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tae posted:

Act 2 is probably the part of the plot people were loosely interested in but get so very angry in the follow-up act. It's also the act where you're powerful enough that you can do a couple of fun things (like blood magic fueled sorcery with a lot of the blood equipment) but not powerful enough that the entire game is a push over. Uh, sort of anyway.

You will have to put up with repetitive areas though for sure. After act 1, it's like 90% repeat areas/etc. Most sane people will quit during act 2 (I quit at the end of Act 2, read the spoilers on act 3 and that was it). There are some atrociously bad inter-party dialogs too in Act 2. That could be worth looking at for comedic value!

Honestly I won't be surprised if you quit the game entirely at the end of Act 1. That boss is some of the most unfun stuff I've ever seen in a video game.