Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Mathturbator posted:

I've asked this question in the General Photography thread, but I figured this might be a better place to ask, sorry for the crossposting!

I'm planning a trip to Zion National Park later this year, and found this very excellent site:
http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/angelslandingpix.cfm

I link to his description of the hike to Angels Landing, but there's loads of hikes all very well documented with pictures.

The dude is a photographer (I think), and I really like his vivid style. What's he doing to achieve this look? Bumping the clarity slider to the max?

looks like they're HDR, or at least stacked exposures, not a huge fan of them personally but to each their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sovi3t
Jan 11, 2005
purple monkey dishwasher
Moons ago I discovered this (and the travel) thread, amazed at the quality of the shots, and even discouraged a bit. Well, I repressed that feeling and pushed through. Eventually, I realized it would take a lot more than HDR and saturation boosting to produce a photograph that pops. Hope I'm not the only one who went through that stage. I feel like I finally have something to contribute!

Drove out to Colorado to see a friend; it was my first solo trip out of Minnesota. I was way too giddy and missed a lot of shots, but came home with some good ones.

Henderson Farms by SacktapDeluxe, on Flickr

Train on the Gothenburg horizon by SacktapDeluxe, on Flickr

This might be the weakest, but it brings me right back:

Ess by SacktapDeluxe, on Flickr

St. Mary's Glacier by SacktapDeluxe, on Flickr

The Lake from the Glacier by SacktapDeluxe, on Flickr

Very happy with this one:

David leads the way by SacktapDeluxe, on Flickr

Dillon Exit by SacktapDeluxe, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Welcome to Morro Bay by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 11, 2012

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

...rather well, as it turned out. One night at a keg beer party I was offered a marijuana joint.
^^^ Astounding. Did you just sit there with a folding chair for weeks waiting for the clouds to go like that?

----

Also I challenge you to find sexier rocks! :P

Mountains of Ninh Binh by alangrainger, on Flickr

And a storm in Vietnam:

On the road back to NInh Binh by alangrainger, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Another one! I'm on some sort of roll!

Onward and Upward by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Metalslug posted:

^^^ Astounding. Did you just sit there with a folding chair for weeks waiting for the clouds to go like that?

Nope. Got out of the car, walked around, looked at some otters, took otter pictures through spotting scope (didn't come out well), applied polarizer, took photo at the perfect moment apparently.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Nice. I miss SLO :(. Are you from around there?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
got home at 4am, slept for 5 hours, woke up and just starting to process photos from last night's Perseid meteor shower.

All in all I felt like I learned a ton about astro-photography from talking to a bunch of great folks. I got a few shots that I'll be happy with but I don't think I captured enough meteors to pull off the stacked shot of a ton of meteors that I was hoping for. I ended up getting impatient with how few meteors I was capturing and started changing up my composition so I think I may be able to composite 4 or 5 into the same frame but definitely not dozens.

Pretty incredible night to be star watching all in all though.

Here's the ISS and 2 meteors over Mt. Hood with reflection from Trillium Lake.

Trillium_095

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 12, 2012

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
a few more from Friday night

Trillium_285

Trillium_009_1600

Trillium_065

my dog photobombed this one

Trillium_036

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I can't put my finger on just why, but I really like this one. There's something about the geometric arrangement and subjectlessness of it.

I had to leave this vantagepoint 20 minutes before I wanted to, when the light would have been just right for a dusk shot.

Cleveland by thetzar, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Breezed through GTNP this morning at the tail end of a two week vacation, figured stopping at "the barns" would be a no brainer.

Unfortunately it sounds like the entire state of Idaho ignited and is dumping tons of smoke all over Wyoming. Nothing ever lit up. :negative:

Turn around and this is what I saw:

Oh well, I got some sunset shots in other spots that might turn out kind of neat so we'll see once I dig through the piles of pictures I took the past two weeks.

I'm just glad I didn't plan an entire vacation around shooting the moulton barns because man that would be disappointing. One guy said he drove nonstop from Salt Lake city to make this morning, I would probably throw my camera in the ditch if I did something like that and got crap results.

Biggest downside is I skipped the Perseids because I wanted to make this sunrise and staying up all night taking pictures of shooting stars would have made me way too tired to drive today. In hindsight, I should have opted for the stars.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 14, 2012

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

thetzar posted:

I can't put my finger on just why, but I really like this one. There's something about the geometric arrangement and subjectlessness of it.

I had to leave this vantagepoint 20 minutes before I wanted to, when the light would have been just right for a dusk shot.

Cleveland by thetzar, on Flickr

This is the coolest cityscape I've seen in a long while.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Went on a sweet roadtrip down to San Francisco, which was mainly beer related, then came back to Canada on the Eastern side of California, Oregon and Washington. Stopped off at Mono Lake, Painted Hills and Palouse Falls. Got some good shots on the way back, probably some of my better ones since I've moved to Canada. Thanks to Leviathor for the inspiration on the Palouse Falls shot. You're right, it's definitely more of a sunset location, at least in August.

Tioga Pass

Tioga Pass by Smekermann, on Flickr

Mono Lake

Mono Lake 3 by Smekermann, on Flickr

Mono Lake 4 by Smekermann, on Flickr

Mono Lake panorama (3 shots) by Smekermann, on Flickr

Mono Lake panorama (7 shots) by Smekermann, on Flickr

Painted Hills

Painted Hills Sunrise 1 by Smekermann, on Flickr

Painted Hills Sunrise 2 by Smekermann, on Flickr

Painted Hills Sunrise 5 by Smekermann, on Flickr

Painted Hills Sunrise 6 by Smekermann, on Flickr

Painted Hills Sunrise 7 by Smekermann, on Flickr

Painted Hills Sunrise 8 by Smekermann, on Flickr

Painted Hills pano 1 by Smekermann, on Flickr

Painted Hills pano 2 by Smekermann, on Flickr

Painted Hills pano 3 by Smekermann, on Flickr

Palouse Falls

Palouse Falls HDR by Smekermann, on Flickr

Palouse Falls by Smekermann, on Flickr

Sorry for the huge picture tsunami. I would recommend everyone do the trip from Painted Hills to Washington, though, as it's actually pretty mindblowing. Oregon is basically a collection of high-altitude plateaus and steep canyons all the way to the Washington border. It totally changed my perspective of the state. Washington, by comparison, was very underwhelming, except the actual Palouse Falls area.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 14, 2012

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Smekerman posted:

Palouse Falls

Palouse Falls HDR by Smekermann, on Flickr

Washington, by comparison, was very underwhelming, except the actual Palouse Falls area.

This is one of the better photos I've seen of Palouse Falls. So crisp and doesn't feel near as desert like or brown as I've seen in other photos. Pretty amazing place though especially compared to the surroundings isn't it?

Did you make it up to the actually Palouse area near Colfax or Steptoe Butte?

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Smekerman posted:

Went on a sweet roadtrip down to San Francisco, which was mainly beer related, then came back to Canada on the Eastern side of California, Oregon and Washington. Stopped off at Mono Lake, Painted Hills and Palouse Falls. Got some good shots on the way back, probably some of my better ones since I've moved to Canada. Thanks to Leviathor for the inspiration on the Palouse Falls shot. You're right, it's definitely more of a sunset location, at least in August.

Tioga Pass

Mono Lake

Painted Hills

Palouse Falls

Some really beautiful stuff here--I wish I were looking at them on a calibrated (brighter) monitor.

Tioga is really nice, as are the first couple Mono shots and the pano. Great job orchestrating the clouds in that first Mono shot.

I think I like 5, 7, and 8 from the Painted Hills best, but they are the more classic "safe" shots of the area. I think 2 and 3 would be helped with an ND grad--more color/contrast in the skies and background. The oof foreground in 6 is pretty distracting.

I like the Palouse shots. I'd love to visit the falls again (and Palouse during harvest), but there's just... nothing near there.

Sovi3t
Jan 11, 2005
purple monkey dishwasher

Smekerman posted:

Sorry for the huge picture tsunami. I would recommend everyone do the trip from Painted Hills to Washington, though, as it's actually pretty mindblowing. Oregon is basically a collection of high-altitude plateaus and steep canyons all the way to the Washington border. It totally changed my perspective of the state. Washington, by comparison, was very underwhelming, except the actual Palouse Falls area.

Amazing. The Mono Lake panoramas are my favorite, especially the first one. In the second one, I think it would strengthen the image if you cropped from the bottom until the water's reflection didn't show any sky.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Smekerman posted:

Excellent! My god do I need to go here and do nothing but take photos for a week!

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Wild boar weights two hundred kilometers and eats boiled potatoes
This morning I was bit early, so I had time to snap few photos before work. Here is one of them.

Näsinneula ja Kuu by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Really beautiful stuff man! can't believe I've lived in Oregon my whole life and hardly spent any time exploring the SE corner of the state, I definitely need to plan a roadtrip soon to get down that way.

Great work!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Smekerman because of your photos I am going to take a trip with a car and a camera. They're all spectacular.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

Smekerman because of your photos I am going to take a trip with a car and a camera. They're all spectacular.

It's a heap of fun, but also takes a ton of planning. You gotta find the spots to shoot and plan your driving to hit those spots at sunrise or sunset. Noon shooting is easy but generally looks like butt.. and it happens a lot on road trips.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I've been backpacking around for a few weeks and I went to Titcomb Basin in the Wind River Range of Wyoming. I recommend it.

I went to the Tetons and got some good stuff, but not done running through those. I skipped the barns and the usual stuff.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.
My hosting:

The Jefferson Memorial, all alone except for one sole speck of a man. While in a way snubbed from the Mall of monuments, it lacks distractions and thus it’s presence becomes even grander.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Thanks a lot for the responses, guys. Leviathor, I see the merit of more contrast in skies, and I probably could've processed those shots to have darker skies but, really, that morning at Painted Hills was really boring, as was the sunset at Palouse Falls. I tried to minimize skies as much as possible, as they were completely devoid of interest. At the same time, I don't feel they're too light, or at least they don't bother me enough to want to change them. I'm not trying to poo poo on your critique; far from it. I appreciate your input, and I can see how they'd bother some people. Still, given that they were completely empty, I just don't think they mattered that much. I'm gonna try some darker sky versions, though, maybe of the first Painted Hills panorama which is my favorite shot of the trip, as that would probably benefit it the most.

In the second PH panorama, though, I was shooting almost against the sun, I don't think the whitish sky could really be avoided and it'd probably look somewhat unnatural to have a clear blue sky with the sun rays hitting the rocks at that angle.

I agree about Painted Hills 6, the oof foreground is distracting. It was kind of in the back of my mind when shooting it but I had to use a long lens to shoot that composition. The area was fenced off and I couldn't go any closer to switch to something shorter.

Falco, I didn't make it to Palouse, unfortunately. I sorta wanted to, because I saw some amazing shots from the area a few years back and I sorta wanted to check it out, but eh... for starters I wasn't really familiar with the area, so I didn't know any good spots to take pictures from. My main goal was to hit Palouse Falls at sunset, so if I were to continue on to Palouse that would've meant hitting it up during midday, ie. photographic cancer. I do want to check out that area eventually, though.

And don't get me wrong, Washington is a really nice state. The Snohomish mountain area that I drove through was pretty gorgeous. I was just so impressed with Oregon, a state I had previously thought I knew fairly well, that Washington just couldn't compete. Really, I probably sound like a broken record at this point but I'd recommend everyone living in the vicinity to do the roadtrip from Bend through Painted Hills and to the 84 from there. Take Hwy 126 from Bend, which turns into Hwy 26, stop off at Painted Hills, continue on Hwy 26 until Hwy 207, take 207 all the way to Hwy 19 and then continue down 19 until you reach the 84 freeway, which will take you either all the way down to Portland or to Pasco/Richland/Kennewick in Washingtgon. It'll change your life, or at least your view on Oregon.

atomicthumbs posted:

That's awesome, roadtrips are really fun. I do agree that there's some planning involved, but you can probably get away with just having a vague idea of where you want to stop off at sunset/sunrise. I think the biggest research you need to do is whether the spot is a sunrise or a sunset location. Some locations might be both. Where do you live, anyway?

edit: hmm, the more I look at that Painted Hills pano, the more the white sky is starting to bother me. Goddammit, Leviathor, thanks for ruining my favorite shot :mad: I'll attempt a reprocess tonight.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 17, 2012

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Smekerman posted:

That's awesome, roadtrips are really fun. I do agree that there's some planning involved, but you can probably get away with just having a vague idea of where you want to stop off at sunset/sunrise. I think the biggest research you need to do is whether the spot is a sunrise or a sunset location. Some locations might be both. Where do you live, anyway?

I live in west Marin County, in the Bay Area. I've got the Point Reyes National Seashore right nearby but not much opportunity to take good advantage of it because I don't have a car at the moment. :P

My trip planning's in the preliminary stages at the moment, but I've got a list of places I'd like to go (in and near California for the moment). Some of them might need separate trips. Among them:

• Lassen Volcanic National Park
  • Mono Lake
  • Lake Tahoe
  • the Salton Sea (and maybe Bombay Beach, a tiny little run-down but charming town)
  • Palm Springs and Mount San Jacinto State Park
  • Tonopah, Nevada

I've been to several of these before, and remember them being beautiful, but some of them I either wasn't into landscape photography yet, or (Lake Tahoe) I hosed up the good photos from the trip. I would love to get some good photos of Bumpass Hell near Mt. Lassen this time.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 16, 2012

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

I live in west Marin County, in the Bay Area. I've got the Point Reyes National Seashore right nearby but not much opportunity to take good advantage of it because I don't have a car at the moment. :P

My trip planning's in the preliminary stages at the moment, but I've got a list of places I'd like to go (in and near California for the moment). Some of them might need separate trips. Among them:

• Mono Lake
  • Lake Tahoe
  • the Salton Sea (and maybe Bombay Beach, a tiny little run-down but charming town)
  • Tonopah, Nevada

I've been to several of these before, and remember them being beautiful, but some of them I either wasn't into landscape photography yet, or (Lake Tahoe) I hosed up the good photos from the trip. I would love to get some good photos of Bumpass Hell near Mt. Lassen this time.
I am super jealous of people within driving distance of the Salton Sea. Go there and make me photos to drool over.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Yeah, you could definitely hit Palm Springs/San Jacinto/Salton Sea in one roadtrip, though I'd recommend waiting a few months. The temperatures are absolutely brutal in those areas around this time. Salton Sea is weird. I visited it back in 2006 when I was still a photography newb so I didn't get the shots I should've gotten, but even with my bumbling about I still managed to come back with some pretty solid stuff. It's definitely a very photogenic place, though I remember the smell being overpowering.

Never been to Lake Tahoe (it was farther than Mono Lake for me, so I'd just go to Mono instead) nor Lassen, though I've seen some interesting shots of it.

Speaking of Mono Lake, you should check out the left side of the South Tufa area. Everyone heads to the right because that's how the path leads them and it features the castle tufa everyone so loves to photograph. The left side's pretty badass, though, and worth checking out. I took what is probably one of my favorite Mono Lake shots there.

Here's a picture showing how to access it. I've never seen that parking area when I was there, but it seems like it'd be a lot easier to access the beach that way rather than trying to bushwhack your way from the end of the boardwalk (which is how I've always done it).

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

atomicthumbs posted:

• Mono Lake
  • Lake Tahoe
  • Tonopah, Nevada

When are you planning to come out to Lassen? I live there now but I'm moving to Ventura in a few weeks. I also know some awesome things about Tahoe because I grew up there.

edit: I sent you pics in the holiday exchange! I believe I sent you some from Pyramid Lake nearby and the Reno balloon races. They're coming up in a few weeks, also!!! Reno's directly between Tahoe and Lassen (not on the map but on the highways). HIGHLY recommend you swing by and check them out.

Drewski fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 17, 2012

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I'm not planning to go for a month or two at least; I have to get a car first. Thanks for the offer, though!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Wild boar weights two hundred kilometers and eats boiled potatoes

Aamu Näsijärvellä by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Storm chasin'

DSC_1721 by dedianmn, on Flickr

DSC_1705 by dedianmn, on Flickr

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
My first attempt at star trails.

Forresters Startrails by Aztatlan, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Kujaroth posted:

Well, that turned out alright.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It looks even better in original size.

We have a night time thread too if you want to post it there:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3170088

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Thinking about selling my Sigma 10-20 and getting a Samyang 14. Seems like it would be pretty sweet on a crop sensor. Anyone have one?

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby
I learned a lot of things in Japan and one of them is that I suck at landscapes. Here's the three I actually kind of like.

Five by dick town, on Flickr

東京へ行く by dick town, on Flickr

牡鹿半島 2 by dick town, on Flickr

I really hate sucking at things, so I want to make a goal of working towards the quality of landscape photography everyone else posting here seems to maintain. Are there any particularly good resources/theory for beginners?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Basically, shoot at sunrise or sunset.

Obviously there's more technique to it than that, but I can't think of anything that has a bigger effect on making a mediocre landscape into a great one.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Kujaroth posted:

Nice, what focal length did you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Rainy Day in New York by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Storm Over Manhattan by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Storm Over Manhattan by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

The High Line Scenery by tylerhuestis, on Flickr