Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Invalid Octopus posted:

Friend just posted this quote from an article on facebook:

I think I just found how Trophy can become more than just Internet famous...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

He's got these triangle ears that stick out to the side when he wants things, so he actually looks more like :catstare:

Like this. Bonus cone for extra derp.

I grew up with a ACD mix and you're making me miss her so much :cry:

radioactivemongoose
Dec 27, 2006
High Voltage Rodent.
Heard an interesting reason for not getting a pet microchipped the other day from some friends of the family:

"I don't want 'em linked back to me if they run off and get hit or bite somebody and then I have to pay for it, sounds stupid to me."

Great sense of responsibility there. They let their dogs run loose without ID and seem not to care very much about them in general. It's pretty sad to me that they're apparently more worried about someone wanting money for damages than the actual wellbeing of the dog or well, poo poo, I don't know. It's just :psyduck: to me.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
The old Russian lady who lives next to me loved Sully until she found out he was microchipped. Then, all of the sudden,Sully was controlled by the government, as was I, because the chip controlled his brain and actions.

So, Government Secret Entity if you're hearing this, shut him up because he meows constantly :mad:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If your cat is meowing persistently he probably needs his batteries changed; I believe they need to be replaced once a year.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:aaaaa: Thank you for this.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

ladyweapon posted:

The old Russian lady who lives next to me loved Sully until she found out he was microchipped. Then, all of the sudden,Sully was controlled by the government, as was I, because the chip controlled his brain and actions.

So, Government Secret Entity if you're hearing this, shut him up because he meows constantly :mad:

What I want to know is why the CIA spends so much time thinking about wet food and Birds That Are In a Tree Outside and Must Be Carefully Monitored.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

YggiDee posted:

If your cat is meowing persistently he probably needs his batteries changed; I believe they need to be replaced once a year.

I heard twice, like with the time changes.

:staredog: The SOUND that came out of my husband just now...

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Does anyone have any tips for applying eye drops to a mouse? It's pretty hard to scruff her, she's too wriggly, and I have to apply this poo poo twice a day for a week.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Nione posted:

What I want to know is why the CIA spends so much time thinking about wet food and Birds That Are In a Tree Outside and Must Be Carefully Monitored.

On the other hand, this probably means that Timmy isn't just An rear end in a top hat Cat for stealing my banana bread off my plate when my back was turned. Dude is just a heroic undercover agent trying to collect evidence. About the local farmers market/international drug smuggling ring.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Ugh. There is a shitstorm brewing in my city. A new revision of the Dog Act is being read in parliament at the moment. It includes such lovely bits of legislation as... Restricted breed (ie pits) that breed may have their pups confiscated at any time. Restricted breeds cannot be reclaimed from pounds. Restricted breeds are automatically classed as dangerous dogs and must be kept in enclosures with solid walls.

I'm so angry. I'm a board member of a lobbying group that's been working for months on exactly the opposite of this. The Australian Veterinary Association has come out decrying BSL. The RSPCA has come out decrying BSL. And this is the act they put forward?!

:suicide:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Major does this but without the licking. He'll just stare as close to my face as possible as if he's trying to psychically communicate that he needs to go piss. If I don't pay attention he starts making bizarre yeti noises and claws at me until I give in.

Baioley does this too. He'll sit next to me and stare. And stare. And then eventually if I look uninterested or am busy he barks and makes these weird noises.

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!
I'm (hopefully) temporarily caring for a female cat, Mezzo, who was just spayed yesterday. The veterinary clinic gave me pain meds that are in a syringe which I need to give her twice a day. I managed to get it in her last night, but I think she's onto my tricks, and I haven't managed to get it in her today. Is the burrito method okay with her fresh incision? Anyone have any clever tricks? I have no issue getting meds into dogs, but cats don't have faces and they are pointier :ohdear: Thanks for any help, here have some pics of her:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

That cat is gorgeous. Please keep her forever!

Some rear end in a top hat had their dog loose (no collar) in a street-facing yard. There wasn't even anyone out with it. The dog came running out hollering and Jess tried to eat its face. Lola looked at the dog and then ignored the snarls and growls and looked at me for a biscuit :3:

When I'd gotten past the house, the dog lingered there and some woman came and tapped on the window. That there is great ownership.

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Fraction posted:

That cat is gorgeous. Please keep her forever!

Some rear end in a top hat had their dog loose (no collar) in a street-facing yard. There wasn't even anyone out with it. The dog came running out hollering and Jess tried to eat its face. Lola looked at the dog and then ignored the snarls and growls and looked at me for a biscuit :3:

When I'd gotten past the house, the dog lingered there and some woman came and tapped on the window. That there is great ownership.

I wish we could keep her :cry: - but we are at our limit (per our HOA rules) and my older dog wants to eat her like crazy. But yea, she is very pretty and super friendly. All she wants is pets - and considering she has been moved to 2 different houses and was at the vets office getting spayed for a day since Sunday, she hasn't hidden once. Best cat =\ I still can't get her to take her meds, help :blush:

Also, Lola is a very good girl :3:

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

RurouNNy posted:

I wish we could keep her :cry: - but we are at our limit (per our HOA rules) and my older dog wants to eat her like crazy. But yea, she is very pretty and super friendly. All she wants is pets - and considering she has been moved to 2 different houses and was at the vets office getting spayed for a day since Sunday, she hasn't hidden once. Best cat =\ I still can't get her to take her meds, help :blush:

Can you kind of sneak up on her when she's napping, give her a little scritch and then meds in the mouth? How much liquid do you need to get in at once? You could also maybe scruff her a little in the above scenario. She's a gorgeous cat.

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

hhgtrillian posted:

Can you kind of sneak up on her when she's napping, give her a little scritch and then meds in the mouth? How much liquid do you need to get in at once? You could also maybe scruff her a little in the above scenario. She's a gorgeous cat.

I did it! I went in there while she was sleeping, she woke up but was still groggy and was just expecting pets, and wham! I scruffed her and squirted the syringe in the back of her mouth. She didn't even seem all of that annoyed since I gave her all kinds of pets afterwards :3: I made sure she was purring again before I left. Thanks for the idea!

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

RurouNNy posted:

I did it! I went in there while she was sleeping, she woke up but was still groggy and was just expecting pets, and wham! I scruffed her and squirted the syringe in the back of her mouth. She didn't even seem all of that annoyed since I gave her all kinds of pets afterwards :3: I made sure she was purring again before I left. Thanks for the idea!

Woohoo! I'm glad it worked!

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Another alternative is to give her a peg mohawk - start at the skin between her ears and put two or three pegs down the back of her neck. It's painless and it's kind of like a super-scruff, our vet taught us how to do it when our pill-adverse cat needed to be pilled twice daily for a fortnight.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

wtftastic posted:

Baioley does this too. He'll sit next to me and stare. And stare. And then eventually if I look uninterested or am busy he barks and makes these weird noises.

Ginny, too. She'll sit directly in front of me and stare straight into my soul for a while before starting in with the godawful yowling sounds. If she's ignored beyond that she punches something.

Like this.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
My cat must be a freak because post spay, she practically begged for her pain meds. I had to dose her twice a day for about a week and by the end, she would hop on my lap when I grabbed the syringe and never struggled. Maybe they tasted good, maybe she's a junkie. :iiam:

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Tamarillo posted:

Another alternative is to give her a peg mohawk - start at the skin between her ears and put two or three pegs down the back of her neck. It's painless and it's kind of like a super-scruff, our vet taught us how to do it when our pill-adverse cat needed to be pilled twice daily for a fortnight.

Neat - cats are weird! I'll keep this in mind. Luckily I only need to do this 4 more times!

CyO
Oct 11, 2007
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Fraction posted:

Does anyone have any tips for applying eye drops to a mouse? It's pretty hard to scruff her, she's too wriggly, and I have to apply this poo poo twice a day for a week.

Put her on a mesh surface that she can grab onto, and pull gently at the base of her tail - this will make her hold sort of still and clutch the surface. Then you can get your other hand on top of her and either scruff her or hold her down. Yeah, she's going to hate it, but that's how it is with mice.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ooka's been telling me he doesn't understand why the new furniture is so awesome. Today I figured out why he feels that way. :downs:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Someone is really curious about this big two-legged thing walking around her new house she moved into

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Today is Koji's Gotcha Day! :haw: I've had this bugger for 3 years now. So we took him to the dog bakery, like every good crazy dog lady should.

He sat nice for treats:

And I made him wear a stupid hat:

And when we got home, fatty got his carob brownie:

I was so proud, he did really well in the car and there was no trembling or pacing in the store, he definitely seemed a little calmer about the trip than previous ones. :3:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Didn't know there was such a thing as dog brownies.

Riley is shedding quite a bit right now. I really thought I had a brush for her, but I guess I haven't gotten her one yet. What would be the best option for getting all the loose hair off a tiny chihuahua? I am concerned that most brushes would be too big and not very useful for her. Should I be looking for something for a cat? :)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I forget, how long haired is Riley? Personally, I like zoom grooms and a shedding rake, but definitely look for toy dog/cat sized. :)

And yeah, they make "pupcakes" and cookies and brownies and whoopie pies etc at this dog bakery. They have regular baked goods to wheat free things and it's all kept cold and dense as poo poo. For example, the box of treats fell off my friend's lap into the foot well of the car and rolled around. That brownie is how it looked coming straight out of the box after that. It's kind of funny to watch Koji try to dive into it to not get much of anywhere and try to chew it. Usually takes him a while and I have to either cut it into much smaller pieces or watch him to make sure he doesn't try to hork it and choke and die. :toot:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Work today went to hell in a handbasket. I was working a double, and operating on little sleep due to some local training group gang war drama bullshit. I only had two dogs in daycare which was awesome. But then Adley, the pit/boxer mix who has had tummy issues recently, begins vomiting horribly and licking the floor obsessively. I call his owner to come pick him up and spend a good chunk of time cleaning up vomit. Then some of the puppies upstairs in adoptions started vomiting... The adoptions staff did some parvo tests and some came back positive. :( Annnd then some of our kittens tested positive for coccidiosis. It was just one of those "one thing after another" kinda days.

I spend the evening shift just playing fetch with the remaining daycare dog, which was kind of relaxing. She's a little ACD/terrier mix named Jenny. She can be bossy with the other dogs, but alone she's a really fun little dog, quite clever. I think she'd be amazing at flyball.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got Abby another box of Wellness treats - I usually get the lamb and apple since it's grain-free but this time I tried the apple/banana kind. Unfortunately I realized these aren't grain-free - they have barley (but no wheat/corn/soy). Would barley cause the same possible issues as other grains? If so I'll just return it.

LunacySystem
Aug 11, 2007
ffffffffffffffffff

actionjackson posted:

I got Abby another box of Wellness treats - I usually get the lamb and apple since it's grain-free but this time I tried the apple/banana kind. Unfortunately I realized these aren't grain-free - they have barley (but no wheat/corn/soy). Would barley cause the same possible issues as other grains? If so I'll just return it.

Yeah, it can, since it's one of the gluten containing grains. It does depend on if she has problems with gluten, just the specific grains or grains in general, however.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crap, they took away that sweet sweet pet island/parenting crossover action. So now I have to crosspost this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvKLA172PO8

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:

paisleyfox posted:

I forget, how long haired is Riley? Personally, I like zoom grooms and a shedding rake, but definitely look for toy dog/cat sized. :)

And yeah, they make "pupcakes" and cookies and brownies and whoopie pies etc at this dog bakery. They have regular baked goods to wheat free things and it's all kept cold and dense as poo poo. For example, the box of treats fell off my friend's lap into the foot well of the car and rolled around. That brownie is how it looked coming straight out of the box after that. It's kind of funny to watch Koji try to dive into it to not get much of anywhere and try to chew it. Usually takes him a while and I have to either cut it into much smaller pieces or watch him to make sure he doesn't try to hork it and choke and die. :toot:

Riley has a very short coat. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I think I'll just get a furminator. I had one when I had my cat and I loved the thing. I assume there is no difference between the one meant for cats vs the one for dogs? I will want to look at it before I buy it obviously, but if there isn't one small enough for dogs I guess I'll go with the cat one?

Skizzles- that really sucks :( Is there a chance that the daycare dogs could catch the parvo from the puppies? If a dog has been vaccinated, can they still get really sick? God, if I was a customer there I would be pretty upset. I would be so worried about my dogs catching something. It seems odd to me that the cats also were sick. Is this common for rescue groups or were the animals just not tested when they were first brought in?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I noticed some worms in Max's poop so I got some medicine for it from his vet during his appointment today.

I'm fairly certain that this medicine kills the worms via lethal dogfarts. Oh dear lord.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

Skizzles- that really sucks :( Is there a chance that the daycare dogs could catch the parvo from the puppies? If a dog has been vaccinated, can they still get really sick? God, if I was a customer there I would be pretty upset. I would be so worried about my dogs catching something. It seems odd to me that the cats also were sick. Is this common for rescue groups or were the animals just not tested when they were first brought in?

Parvo can't be tested for until symptoms show (otherwise it will come up negative). Both the puppies and kittens were new to our campus. Pretty much every puppy/kitten in a shelter environment gets kennel cough/URIs no matter what, but geez. :smith: I don't know about the kittens, though (not too familiar with coccidiosis).

I mean, since they're all in the same building it's possible the daycare dogs could catch it, but extremely unlikely. The daycare dogs never go in/near the puppy room (which is where they poop, which is how parvo is transmitted), the daycare is downstairs while adoptions is upstairs, so they're never even kenneled on the same floor. Plus most of our daycare dogs are adults (with all their vaccinations as required). We clean everything with an industrial virucide. So it's not a huge concern.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 18, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Puppy got his first Realfood today. Pork neckbones + random scraps from an acquaintance who has Hampshires and Durocs. They give me however much of their scraps I want for .25 cents a pound when they slaughter, so I stock up when they do anything. My mom does not want him eating bones (he could choke) and DEFINITELY doesn't want him eating raw anything (salmonella) and doesn't want him touching any kibble but the one specific formula of one specific brand she has chosen for him (dogs must be fed the same food for forever or Diarrhea.) She lets him devour all the cheap chinese rawhide he can hold though so lol, gently caress that. :twisted:

Right now I'm just rotating this guy with the puppy since I'm ~not allowed to introduce them.~ I've been letting him in the puppy's room to smell all his stuff and Touch His Things while treating him like crazy so if nothing else, he can associate the puppy's smell with good things. It won't make much of a difference in the long run since I need to do introductions that will work for Moses and keep him chill, but he is at least beginning to accept that the puppy exists without constantly death staring at him through the window because when the puppy is out, he is In and being In surely makes him better than that new guy. If he were so great, he'd be In too, right? :smug:

Hopefully if the puppy gets out into the yard while Moses is there, the WOW YOU SMELL LIKE THINGS I KNOW!!! will override the Murder long enough for me to do something. Probably not but lol!!!!!!!! :suicide:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Crap, they took away that sweet sweet pet island/parenting crossover action. So now I have to crosspost this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvKLA172PO8

Requesting a match race between the baby and the cat.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Superconsndar posted:

Puppy got his first Realfood today. Pork neckbones + random scraps from an acquaintance who has Hampshires and Durocs. They give me however much of their scraps I want for .25 cents a pound when they slaughter, so I stock up when they do anything. My mom does not want him eating bones (he could choke) and DEFINITELY doesn't want him eating raw anything (salmonella) and doesn't want him touching any kibble but the one specific formula of one specific brand she has chosen for him (dogs must be fed the same food for forever or Diarrhea.) She lets him devour all the cheap chinese rawhide he can hold though so lol, gently caress that. :twisted:

Right now I'm just rotating this guy with the puppy since I'm ~not allowed to introduce them.~ I've been letting him in the puppy's room to smell all his stuff and Touch His Things while treating him like crazy so if nothing else, he can associate the puppy's smell with good things. It won't make much of a difference in the long run since I need to do introductions that will work for Moses and keep him chill, but he is at least beginning to accept that the puppy exists without constantly death staring at him through the window because when the puppy is out, he is In and being In surely makes him better than that new guy. If he were so great, he'd be In too, right? :smug:

Hopefully if the puppy gets out into the yard while Moses is there, the WOW YOU SMELL LIKE THINGS I KNOW!!! will override the Murder long enough for me to do something. Probably not but lol!!!!!!!! :suicide:

Have you considered just making a thread for your wild adventures? I swear half the posts in the random nonsense threads are about your dogs, so it's not like you wouldn't have content.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I gave George a ball to play with even when we're not training. I am so weak. :saddowns:

At least it isn't his favorite training toy. And I justify it to myself and my team by the fact that I'm trying to get him to be less protective of his toys, so I make him give it to me like 20 times a day but I give it right back and he always has access to it. Yeah, that's it, it was totally a training decision and not tied at all to the way that he whimpers when I put his toys up at the end of our work sessions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
mr. despair

^ I'm already supposed to make a new bully thread and I haven't/ don't have time so lol :effort:

• Locked thread