Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, would've been great to know that Uplink was tablet only. Oh well, money to a good cause, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I've thrown $15 at past Android bundles without hesitation just to keep encouraging them to do it.

I'll probably do at least $10, but due to the amount of tablet-only stuff I'll see less values. There's always my laptop but I don't really do gaming on it.
I still get them, but only for the steam codes. I don't bother with putting them on my phone because it's a hassle.

spincube posted:

Uplink is on the Market: 3.17!

...and it's apparently incompatible with both my Gnex and my N7 :argh:
They probably mucked up the definitions of what kinds of devices it can run on and as a result runs on nothing. There's no ratings or reviews or download numbers.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Bit Trip is up, and apparently the resolution is jacked up on some devices: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gaijingames.bittripbeat

Ah, Android. Will you ever not make it not insanely difficult for developers to see if their games and apps will work on all devices? :allears:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

There's no dlds or rating because it wasn't out 3hrs ago when I checked for reviews

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Cruseydr posted:

They need a port of Elements the Game for mobile. That game was the first digital CCG I've ever seen where they embraced the abilities of the virtual deck (cards that spawn other cards, cards that can duplicate, etc). It's only downside is that it gets super grindy for the endgame. To be fair I haven't played it in like 2 years.

Fortunes of War is a good scratcher for that itch, the mechanics are Dominion with virtual deck stuff, plus 2- to 4-player ranked/unranked public online multiplayer and private online multi via friend codes. There's also a (limited) free version and a decent single-player campaign.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 15, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Don't buy Bit.Trip or Uplink from the market when you can buy them from the latest Humble Bundle for way cheaper.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Without the ease of auto updating from the Market and such, since the Bundle versions are sideloaded. Cheaper sure, but there's a downside to that as well.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Swift key causes uplink to force close on my kindle just an fyi

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

DemonMage posted:

Without the ease of auto updating from the Market and such, since the Bundle versions are sideloaded. Cheaper sure, but there's a downside to that as well.

You can update them from the Humble Bundle App. You don't have to go to the website each time you wanna update or anything.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not too happy with up link, the time for tracing has not been adjusted so its pretty hard with a touch screen vs a mouse as the interface isn't very forgiving

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I already read the op, are there any other decent rpgs or FFT style games for this thing that doesn't require a tablet?

I do not like action games without a controller, and I haven't bothered with that sixaxis thing yet.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

So hackers have checked out the backend of the Google Play update, and it looks like they finally added some code to support gift cards and wishlists. It's only a matter of time now.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08/15/exclusive-google-is-gearing-up-to-finally-introduce-play-store-gift-cards/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The only good thing about wishlists would be for people to see if their wishlisted apps go on sale, and for developers to put things that are highly wishlisted on sale.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Gilgamesh posted:

So hackers have checked out the backend of the Google Play update, and it looks like they finally added some code to support gift cards and wishlists. It's only a matter of time now.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08/15/exclusive-google-is-gearing-up-to-finally-introduce-play-store-gift-cards/

Someone posted pictures online of $10 and $25 gift cards too.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

abraham linksys posted:

Bit Trip is up, and apparently the resolution is jacked up on some devices:
I also noticed that BIT TRIP blats a shitload (40 MB) of stuff from the .apk to SD-card storage, the entire soundtrack for example.

I'm not sure, there might be a particular limitation of whatever middleware library they're using, but they should be able to grab that stuff from the .apk directly. Yay convolved Android conventions and mediocre ports.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The only good thing about wishlists would be for people to see if their wishlisted apps go on sale, and for developers to put things that are highly wishlisted on sale.

I wouldn't say it's the only good thing. I plan to pass a game wishlist off to friends and family for the holidays.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Gilgamesh posted:

I wouldn't say it's the only good thing. I plan to pass a game wishlist off to friends and family for the holidays.
Isn't that what the gift cards are for?

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Isn't that what the gift cards are for?

My family has never given gift cards and never will.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I'm looking for something turn based like Masters Of Orion or similar. I would settle for something nethackish, but I'm really looking for MOO or MOO II

I have faith in you guys! tell me about some good poo poo!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Your point being..?

Still seems like something useful to only have those two uses, even if you can't publish your wishlist to friends via social networks or what have you.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I cannot stop playing organ trail.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I want to buy it pretty badly but there's no demo and that kills me. Pretty much the only thing I've thrown money down on in the last year without a demo was Wasted Land, which was unplayable (yeah yeah I know it worked for other people/hardware but it doesn't on mine) and Draw Race 2 (also pretty unplayable on my hardware, plus had intrusive ads in the paid version). Couldn't get my money back on either.

On the other hand I've blown a shitload of money on games with demos. Lately I was a little frustrated to have bought Little Stars For Little Wars 2 (after getting addicted to the demo) and a day later found Planetary Wars (which is the same thing and doesn't look as cool but is much more satisfying to play). Played the demo for that for about 2 days and couldn't resist buying it.

Tell me this won't be another Wasted Land fiasco, because it looks hell of great. :ohdear:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Cakefool posted:

I cannot stop playing organ trail.
I was interested in this. What's your take on it? Can I pick up and play it bits at a time?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ugh, Bit.Trip Beat's cut off at the top on my GNex. They put out a resolution fix yesterday for some tablets, so I hope they put up a fix for phones soon. If not, I wasted $0.99 :smith:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I already read the op, are there any other decent rpgs or FFT style games for this thing that doesn't require a tablet?

Spectral Souls from the OP is about it for FFT style games. Cthulhu Saves The World is a decent normal RPG. As is Final Fantasy 3.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ I have Spectral Souls and it is, frankly, just too unwieldly to play on phones, and stupidly expensive. Get GLWG, instead, it has a usable interface.

Splizwarf posted:

On the other hand I've blown a shitload of money on games with demos. Lately I was a little frustrated to have bought Little Stars For Little Wars 2 (after getting addicted to the demo) and a day later found Planetary Wars (which is the same thing and doesn't look as cool but is much more satisfying to play). Played the demo for that for about 2 days and couldn't resist buying it.
Why play some lovely clone, when Galcon is on the Play market?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I was interested in this. What's your take on it? Can I pick up and play it bits at a time?
I guess I don't get this game because I found it to be pretty lame. I know it's supposed to be a comical take on Oregon Trail but the graphics are terrible (again, an intended effect) and the gameplay is pretty boring. Maybe I'm just not nostalgic enough for Oregon Trail.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

coyo7e posted:

^^^^ I have Spectral Souls and it is, frankly, just too unwieldly to play on phones, and stupidly expensive.

It's expensive, no doubt, though it is in-line cost wise with other DS/PSP ports, but how is it unwieldy, let alone too unwieldy to play on a phone? I finished it on my MT4G and was almost never fighting the interface to get anything done, if anything it's just got too much Stuff. But that's kind of a thing with SRPGs and RPGs in general, so eh. Lots of crafting recipes that you want to go back to a FAQ for since if you screw up you get a poo poo item instead of a failure. Missing out on recruiting a good character because you didn't go the sea path. Things like that are annoying, but the interface never really was.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Why play some lovely clone, when Galcon is on the Play market?

Galcon looks like poo poo. Also, no demo, one single screenshot, no gameplay video, and just based on that lonely screenshot I can guarantee you that Planet Wars is more fun. Try the demo!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Sorry, are you talking about Planet Wars or Planetary Wars?

Regardless, Galcon is one of the best mobile strategy games I've ever played, along with Strategery (which sadly doesn't have an Android port). Probably the first game I ever had on a cell phone that was actually addicting, original, and fun.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Derp. Planet Wars, sorry. Planetary Wars does indeed look closer in DNA to Galcon than the other two do. I still think Galcon and (Planetary Wars) are visually horrible, though. :colbert:

So... Geometry Wars-ish. Garish.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DemonMage posted:

It's expensive, no doubt, though it is in-line cost wise with other DS/PSP ports, but how is it unwieldy, let alone too unwieldy to play on a phone? I finished it on my MT4G and was almost never fighting the interface to get anything done, if anything it's just got too much Stuff. But that's kind of a thing with SRPGs and RPGs in general, so eh. Lots of crafting recipes that you want to go back to a FAQ for since if you screw up you get a poo poo item instead of a failure. Missing out on recruiting a good character because you didn't go the sea path. Things like that are annoying, but the interface never really was.
Because on-screen PS2 controller buttons is loving weak, and covers up way too much screen as well as being both unintuitive and clumsy. Look at the FF III port for how you should be porting an RPG's controls. poo poo, I had iPod SRPGs with better controls than Spectral Souls, and that was NOT on a Touch.

As for Galcon spinoffs, I'm a big fan of Modern Conflict, although it does take some effort to get to the point where you can "grind" non-campaign maps rather than buying gold for upgrades.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

DemonMage posted:

Spectral Souls from the OP is about it for FFT style games. Cthulhu Saves The World is a decent normal RPG. As is Final Fantasy 3.

Generations of Chaos looks pretty good, but it's stupidly expensive, as is FF3.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Generations of Chaos looks pretty good, but it's stupidly expensive, as is FF3.
Oh dang, spaced this one, yeah I'd recommend it over Spectral Souls for the smaller install footprint if nothing else - SS wants like 1.8 gigs or some poo poo the first time you DL it.

SS also costs like two or three times as any other game mentioned.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Generations of Chaos is absolutely terrible in my opinion. It's incredibly obtuse, and even once you get going, there's no real storyline. It's just a battle game. Upgrading your lands is really barebones from what I saw. It's one of the few Android related purchases I really regret. The complete lack of a storyline was a huge killer for me, I was expecting something RPG like and it's just got nothing. That said I only played it for a couple hours, tops, so maybe it gets better somehow.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Syrinxx posted:

I guess I don't get this game because I found it to be pretty lame. I know it's supposed to be a comical take on Oregon Trail but the graphics are terrible (again, an intended effect) and the gameplay is pretty boring. Maybe I'm just not nostalgic enough for Oregon Trail.

I've never played Oregon trail, just read the goon love for it but I have paid for kairosoft games and there are similarities. It's a process bar game with minigames (scavenging & suchlike) with cutesy 8-bit graphics, a zombie theme & some humour thrown in.

There's no save game mechanism as such, close the program, open it again later & you can continue where you stopped. If you're picking it up & putting it down often you'll have to get in the habit of checking all your stats to see whether you just stopped, or are ready to set off again - gotta keep on top of those repairs buddy :buddy:

It costs less that a Starbucks & has entertained me for hours, what else can I say?

TheQuagmire
May 14, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's also the sequel to Oregon Trail, its called Oregon Settlers or something like that hehe, It's your usual farmville kind of game, pretty addicting too btw.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Good thing I don't usually give a poo poo about a storyline in a lot of rpgs. I'm in it for the combat, the story is just a plus.

Prolly why I hated FF13 so much.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Can anyone tell me what Auralux is compatible with? Someone mentioned it in the Apps thread and it looks worth trying but is incompatible with everything I own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

Can anyone tell me what Auralux is compatible with? Someone mentioned it in the Apps thread and it looks worth trying but is incompatible with everything I own.

I think it might be tablet-only, it's compatible with my Nexus 7 but not my GNex.

• Locked thread