Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Veila posted:

Glad you found a room and will probably see you there. I am bummed I can't bring anything really awesome this year to PAX I feel like it's a con to go all out, but it would make my grabbing free poo poo harder and all planes and costumes probably not a great idea.

Anyone else from this thread going to the giant gaming convention?

Yeah! I'd spread the wealth but I think it's an Enforcer only room...

e: also: 24 days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

ManiacMatt posted:

I've worked with EL wire a few times myself, what are you using the heat shrink tubing for? If your just covering the wire electrical tape works too, just not as clean/pretty.

I believe so? It would be for this step: http://m.instructables.com/id/how-to-add-EL-wire-to-a-coat-or-other-garment/step5/cut-strip-and-solder-the-EL-wire-junctions/

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Electrical tape will work for that. Heat shrink tubing will be a much cleaner and probably more durable way to do it, and if you had a heat gun then I'd say use the heat shrink tubing. But electrical tape will also work, I used it for that exact thing as well.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

ManiacMatt posted:

Electrical tape will work for that. Heat shrink tubing will be a much cleaner and probably more durable way to do it, and if you had a heat gun then I'd say use the heat shrink tubing. But electrical tape will also work, I used it for that exact thing as well.

Oh that's awesome, any money I can save is good. Do you basically solder it together and then tape over it?

Also, is ribbon wire what is inside the el wire? Like, once the outside is stripped away?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Psychobabble! posted:

Oh that's awesome, any money I can save is good. Do you basically solder it together and then tape over it?

Also, is ribbon wire what is inside the el wire? Like, once the outside is stripped away?

I suggest watching the videos in the link I posted. It really has made things much easier for my husband to get it right. EL wire can be finicky and sometimes a pain in the butt. Of course we've done all of ours for use at Burning Man and you have to make it extra durable for the elements.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Funhilde posted:

I suggest watching the videos in the link I posted. It really has made things much easier for my husband to get it right. EL wire can be finicky and sometimes a pain in the butt. Of course we've done all of ours for use at Burning Man and you have to make it extra durable for the elements.

Whoops, I totally missed your post. I'll check it out, thanks!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Psychobabble! posted:

Whoops, I totally missed your post. I'll check it out, thanks!

good luck! I make him do all of my stuff because I have no knack for wires and such.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Yeah, EL wire isn't hard, it just takes patience. Especially with the almost hair thin corona wire. But it's great fun the stuff you can do with it if you take your time. I've sewn designs into some clothes before with fishing line.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Still gathering the pieces for my Flynn Rider costume and I had trouble finding some good brown boot covers on amazon. I found some that are reasonably priced on halloweencostumes.net. I'm going to presume the site is trustworthy enough to order from, but just in case, does anyone have any better recommendations?

I considered buying some pleather and making them myself, but I wouldn't be saving myself that much in the long run.

Item link for reference.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I'm really happy I'm not doing any cons this year, it's taken all the pressure off finishing that armor. I haven't done a thing with it since I finished those shoulder bells, and that's okay.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I don't know what you mean! :shepicide: This weekend is going to be one long day in the sun, beer in hand, and then we'll go to GenCon and it'll be butterflies and rainbows! Wee!

e. This is what my apartment looks like right now. Ugh.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 10, 2012

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Really enjoying everyone's stuff! Very cool!

If I could ask a very basic question, you seem like the people to know. I'm going to attempt the N7 armor using the various pages already mentioned, but I'd like to get your opinion on glue. I see gorilla glue and hot glue mentioned, those seem to be the 'go to' items for sticky. Can you shape with the heat gun after you glue on the pieces, or do you need to get the shaping done before you start tacking things on? I'm thinking of the chest plate specifically, since it's area it pretty large.

TL;DR what glues would you recommend and can I shape the chest piece for better fit after things are glued on?
look for a group on FB called the N7 elite.... The couple that made the EVA armor that Mark Meer wears are the ones who run it. If they ask for a reference tell them Sapph sent you. They are really great at answering questions about all of this and have all sorts of links to tutorials for building the armor.

I think they use E700 or whatever it's called. I think they suggest doing your shipping then put it together.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

McPantserton posted:

e. This is what my apartment looks like right now. Ugh.

...is that going to be a prawn hand from District 9?

Not going to GenCon (I ALMOST went the year before it moved out to Indy since it was local), but me and the SO are going to DragonCon next month! I wanted to put together a Chi-Blocker costume from Legend of Korra, but time sort of got away from me. :(

Instead we're both rewearing some old Otakon/ACen costumes that were a big hit around four years ago:

If I can find the time, I'm going to make a Silver Monkey and then spend some of the convention chilling somewhere attempting to put it together.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Nope!

I hit a milestone today: all the pieces I need to vacuum form for my armor are actually vacuum formed and cut out! I'm now priming and painting frantically. Wee!

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

McPantserton posted:

Nope!

I hit a milestone today: all the pieces I need to vacuum form for my armor are actually vacuum formed and cut out! I'm now priming and painting frantically. Wee!

God I look forward to seeing these this week.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

McPantserton posted:

Nope!

Oh that's right! I look forward to more in progress pictures, this thing is going to look badas. :D

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Forget burning the candle at both ends, throw that poo poo into the fire! It's actually shocking how long people can go on 4-5 hours of sleep a night.

Here's a sneak preview of our hats! I actually discovered last week that my helmet didn't fit over my wig and had to saw it in half and put it back together. :gonk: Fortunately Nightmare there is super good at costume engineering and walked me through my fit of despair.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
That's a cool shirt, where's it from?

\/ huh... cool!

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 13, 2012

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Assuming it's the code one, it's a work shirt my boyfriend got for free as a team spirit sort of thing.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

McPantserton posted:

Forget burning the candle at both ends, throw that poo poo into the fire! It's actually shocking how long people can go on 4-5 hours of sleep a night.

Here's a sneak preview of our hats! I actually discovered last week that my helmet didn't fit over my wig and had to saw it in half and put it back together. :gonk: Fortunately Nightmare there is super good at costume engineering and walked me through my fit of despair.

Continuing the Yoshimitsu bathroom pic tradition I see.

THAT LOOKS SICK AS poo poo!!!! Can't wait to see the rest. I'm so sad y'all live so far away from any con I could manage to attend :(

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I am absolutely determined to cosplay as Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation at an upcoming convention. Do you guys have any advice on fake mustaches or fake eyebrows?

e: I plan on carrying around a smallish wooden rocking chair and some beef jerky.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Boomerjinks posted:

I am absolutely determined to cosplay as Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation at an upcoming convention. Do you guys have any advice on fake mustaches or fake eyebrows?

e: I plan on carrying around a smallish wooden rocking chair and some beef jerky.

His eyebrows aren't too ridiculous I bet you could just do the look with some mascara or some other eyebrow color. I would just take a picture with you to wizard's chest and they should be able to hook you up with a good one- you just have to make sure you shave really well and get good glue.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
My progress isn't nearly as impressive as everyone else's, but I was able to find most of the pieces for my Heather Mason costume on Saturday from various thrift stores with the help of my friend (who is a wizard when it comes to finding costume pieces at thrift stores) and was also able to pick up some fabric for my track jacket for Chie from Persona 4. Really wish I could post pictures from my iPod since I don't really have a computer right now.

For Heather I was thinking of trying to modify a PVC pipe to try and make The Pipe (tm) from the game. Does anyone have any experience painting PVC or is it super easy to figure out?

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Hongkongaton posted:

For Heather I was thinking of trying to modify a PVC pipe to try and make The Pipe (tm) from the game. Does anyone have any experience painting PVC or is it super easy to figure out?

I made a rusty pipe for my SH3 Nurse cosplay out of PVC, so I can help you make it look rusted and grody. Is that the look you're going for or just PVC painted to look like metal?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I want it to look like metal more or less. Maybe add some blood, too :black101:

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
So I have mostly just been sewing/painting, nothing extremely exciting as I am trying to keep it simple for PAX that way I can still browse the expo hall without taking people out. I have learned something new. Stuffed animals that stand are full of frustration and thread breaking pain. I thought it was so simple lucky I had a friend to help correct my errors in the body and it's just down to tedious hand stitching but here are some shots.

What I am making.

The steps I have taken.

It's almost done with the attachment stitching, after that it's stitching his hands to his hips, stitching on the tail to keep it to the side, and the eyes and nose. I have to say as frustrating as it has been I am pretty proud of it.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Continuing the Yoshimitsu bathroom pic tradition I see.

THAT LOOKS SICK AS poo poo!!!! Can't wait to see the rest. I'm so sad y'all live so far away from any con I could manage to attend :(

I know, right? I want the Yoshimitsu 3-pack photoshoot to happen so bad. Somebody invent a teleporter, stat!

Here's a sort of dark photo of my helmet all on its own.

So tired. Almost done.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
That helmet looks fly as gently caress :smug:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Veila posted:

Mr. Mew!!
Shiki!! Oh man I love that game and it's awesome to see more cosplay from it! Can't wait to see when you're all done.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Hongkongaton posted:

Shiki!! Oh man I love that game and it's awesome to see more cosplay from it! Can't wait to see when you're all done.

Cool another fan. Yea the second needs to come out and quit teasing me. As for the costume it is pretty much finished just have to do final stitching on the jacket and attach the brim to her hat. Guess I will post a complete pic once I get one.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Hongkongaton posted:

I want it to look like metal more or less. Maybe add some blood, too :black101:

It's probably the same method I used for the rust but a different patina. I used the brand Sophisticated Finishes, and the result was amazing. They have a ton of metallic finishes that adhere to PVC. Not sure about the other finishes, but the rust one is real rust and will flake off if you mess with it, so I would recommend sealing it when you're finished.

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
I'm going ahead with the Dr. Venture idea. My speedsuit and other accoutrements are in the mail. I haven't yet got a bald cap, though, and I don't want to get one that looks like crap. I'd shave my head, but my girlfriend vetoed that idea. Does anyone have any recommendations for where I should by one? Is there anything I should keep in mind when affixing it and wearing it?

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Warheart525 posted:

I'm going ahead with the Dr. Venture idea. My speedsuit and other accoutrements are in the mail. I haven't yet got a bald cap, though, and I don't want to get one that looks like crap. I'd shave my head, but my girlfriend vetoed that idea. Does anyone have any recommendations for where I should by one? Is there anything I should keep in mind when affixing it and wearing it?

Be sure your hair is pulled back well I recommend a wig cap as well That way it looks smoother. The other thing I would recommend is make sure it's a little longer than your hair line. You can glue (either with wig glue or spirit gum) it down that way it's more secure. If the edges are noticeable then try adding a layer or two of liquid latex before heading out.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Veila posted:

Cool another fan. Yea the second needs to come out and quit teasing me. As for the costume it is pretty much finished just have to do final stitching on the jacket and attach the brim to her hat. Guess I will post a complete pic once I get one.
...There's going to be a second one?!?
:monocle:

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

It's probably the same method I used for the rust but a different patina. I used the brand Sophisticated Finishes, and the result was amazing. They have a ton of metallic finishes that adhere to PVC. Not sure about the other finishes, but the rust one is real rust and will flake off if you mess with it, so I would recommend sealing it when you're finished.
What would you recommend to use for sealing?

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Hongkongaton posted:

...There's going to be a second one?!?
:monocle:

That has been the rumor, we shall see though. I know that the characters made an appearance in the newest Kingdom Hearts.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

I have another EL wire question since there seems to be a lot of people here who have worked with it. The tutorial I've read(which I linked here before) mentions using ribbon wire for parts of the costume that need to have bend, like parts that go inside the garment. I'm unfamiliar with ribbon wire, and kind of confused. Do I just solder it to the el wire and then to the driver? I'm worried about messing something up and frying it. Please feel free to link me to a tutorial, I've had no luck finding one.

Also thanks for the soldering tutorial earlier, it was really helpful!

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Hongkongaton posted:

What would you recommend to use for sealing?

I thiiiiink they make a sealant for use on their products, but otherwise you can use almost anything. Mod Podge, spray topcoat, etc. If you use spray top coat I would be careful about the 'matte' and 'satin' finish ones, they clouded on me the last time I used them (I was using them on a different finish though), the 'lacquer' finish was fine though :confused:

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I'm trying to find something that looks like the exposed workings of a clock, but that will actually run. Ideally off of a 9 volt battery. And big; maybe a foot square. I have no idea what to search for on google.

I'm trying to make a costume that looks like a robot that's been damaged, so you can see the inner workings and power source.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Maybe you could start with an actual clock kit from a hobby store, but replace the hands with gears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I thiiiiink they make a sealant for use on their products, but otherwise you can use almost anything. Mod Podge, spray topcoat, etc. If you use spray top coat I would be careful about the 'matte' and 'satin' finish ones, they clouded on me the last time I used them (I was using them on a different finish though), the 'lacquer' finish was fine though :confused:
Cool! I'll keep all that in mind. Thank you!!