Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Just spammed a whole lot of friend requests. I tend to be at work until 1 AM EST but go ahead and add me to the scrub list (PSN: TheArchimage, same as my username). I've been maining Chie, but I'm starting to get the idea I'd be better off playing as someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
If anything I want to have Marie as a playable character once P4G drops.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

I've added everyone who's said that they're a scrub and on PS3. Here's the current list of PSN goon scrubs:
SA_Spiffo (plays Yukiko)
Fumaofthelake (plays Elizabeth)
RevolverChicken7 (plays Yosuke)
Static_Rook (plays Kanji)
cveachmartin (plays Yukiko?)
Cake__Attack (plays Labrys/Yu)
Drinkmorewater (plays Random:siren:)
FreyaXI (hasn't unwrapped game yet)
purgatos (plays Elizabeth/Labrys)
Dezinus (plays jobs)
LawnGnomeAttack (plays Kanji/Chie)
MangaCarta (plays one (1) Labrys combo)
SA_Pause (plays Yukiko)
DarkHamsterlord (plays Smash Bros)
sidereal89 (plays Mitsuru)

I added everyone on this list, except for SA_Spiffo, because my PS3 insists no one with that name exists.

And since I neglected to mention it before, I mostly play as Mitsuru, but I also like to switch things up with Labrys and Akihiko.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

TheJoker138 posted:

Funky Student :colbert:

zarron posted:

If anything I want to have Marie as a playable character once P4G drops.

The correct answer is Spacey Girl and Errand Boy as an Ice Climbers set up. :colbert:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Is there a metatag up for this yet?

Yes. It's Personagoons.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
If you want to fight me add LikeStee on XBL. More importantly, because I don't leave my Xbox on all the time to check if anybody wants to play, join #persona4arena or #goonsgarden on irc.synirc.net and yell at me.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

Magikoopa189 posted:

So are you streaming live this time?

I know I'm answering this from two pages ago, but I was streaming live during the first tourney, so I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.

Also, feel free to add me on PSN/360 and deal with my Chie and violently bad Teddie.

PSN: Zexerous
360: Zexerous

Sent a friend request to this.

Zexerous fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 16, 2012

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

interrodactyl posted:

Uh...are we playing the same game? Her damage anywhere on screen is fantastic. You can easily get 2.5k for little effort, and if you land a 5B FC you get corner carry and more damage on top of that.

Well then just difference of opinion because I don't consider 2.5K that much damage.

I have yet to been able to land the fully charged B fatal counter on someone who isn't retarded yet.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Sent friend request.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I added everyone on this list, except for SA_Spiffo, because my PS3 insists no one with that name exists.

That's because it's my skype.

I'm usually not playing matches online, and when I am I usually seek out voice chats anyway.

The Hater
Aug 4, 2007

Friday Friday in the club on Friday, we we we so excited

Evil Canadian posted:

Well then just difference of opinion because I don't consider 2.5K that much damage.

I have yet to been able to land the fully charged B fatal counter on someone who isn't retarded yet.

Check your Mitsuru having privilege at the door sir, some of us have to work for that 2.5k

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

The Hater posted:

Check your Mitsuru having privilege at the door sir, some of us have to work for that 2.5k

Grey axe Labrys can do a whole 800 damage off her BnB! Granted it gets better, but it really sucks to get a combo right off the bat, do 800 damage, and then gently caress up the oki.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

Sent request

xbox - daskonstruct

Gonna try and get some games in tonight

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
If anyone feels like getting punched by my Akihiko add me on 360.

GT: Wombat Mambo

Sending a friend request to personagoons, as well.

Ryven
Sep 25, 2004
I've been playing over the past couple days and really liking it so far, still really sucks but kinda getting used to 5DD/2DD combos. Now I just need to learn some better midscreen/corner combos.

PSN: Fenaen

I usually play Mitsuru (sorry all you Yukiko players)

Is the go-to usage to Bufudyne just off DP or corner Bufula usually?

Undersea Magic
Dec 16, 2006

I sent the metatag a request, GT: UnderseaMagic. If any east coast goons want a taste of my Marble Slabrys please let me know!

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
I played someone named Marlin Pie(no clue if it's really that Marlin Pie or not) on ranked matches last night who had a really good Chie. First experience with a Chie online that doesn't do stupid combos like they can't read the damage bar at the side of the screen. Anyway barely managed to win, they seemed too preoccupied trying to get Tomoe behind me(and it never worked out well enough) so I just kept getting out and focused on putting a million footprints on them in the corner. If that isn't how you play Chie I don't want to anymore.

Ranked matches should allow music changes because Chie's theme is driving me crazy. Well I got the stupid level 30 achievement last night so I think it's time to switch it around completely and play Elizabeth. I need to shoot lasers at Kanji and his robot to make myself feel better about all the command throws I let myself get caught in.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Sent invite.

ShrewdOrganMerchant
Apr 26, 2008

Please stop doing that.

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

I played someone named Marlin Pie(no clue if it's really that Marlin Pie or not) on ranked matches last night who had a really good Chie. First experience with a Chie online that doesn't do stupid combos like they can't read the damage bar at the side of the screen. Anyway barely managed to win, they seemed too preoccupied trying to get Tomoe behind me(and it never worked out well enough) so I just kept getting out and focused on putting a million footprints on them in the corner. If that isn't how you play Chie I don't want to anymore.

Ranked matches should allow music changes because Chie's theme is driving me crazy. Well I got the stupid level 30 achievement last night so I think it's time to switch it around completely and play Elizabeth. I need to shoot lasers at Kanji and his robot to make myself feel better about all the command throws I let myself get caught in.

Oh poo poo, I played him last night, too. Looking at his Twitter, it seems like he's been playing P4A on Live, so I'm thinking he was probably the real deal. Crazy Chie, like you said, still managed to beat him 1 out of 3 games with Kanji.

Trying to switch to Chie now. What's the best way to set up those mix-ups between her and her persona? Just sweep, D, and air-dash over?

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I dont get these people that keep disconnecting just as they lose. Is there some big penalty for not having a perfect win/loss record? If they are bad enough that I am beating them, they are not very good anyways, and must just be constantly relogging. Its not like they are gonna top any charts or anything.

The rest of the game is pretty great though, cant wait to actually know what I am doing.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
Does anyone have any tips for Elizabeth's challenge No.26? I can't get standing A off in time since it pushes her to far from the target.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm mostly playing Kanji right now, and I'm pretty terrible. PS3 goons, add me if you want. My PSN name is MrAristocrates.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

zarron posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Elizabeth's challenge No.26? I can't get standing A off in time since it pushes her to far from the target.

You have to do a dash immediately after the throw recovery and then press a immediately after the dash starts. You don't even really take a step, just kind of slide forward into the a.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Evil Canadian posted:

Most characters can't get that much damage without meter midscreen and usually end up sacrificing corner carry or oki if they want to hit that.

So 2.5k is a lot.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
This is essentially the first fighting game I'm taking seriously, so if anyone wants to go up against an awful Akihiko, my PSN is the same as my SA username.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

ShrewdOrganMerchant posted:

Trying to switch to Chie now. What's the best way to set up those mix-ups between her and her persona? Just sweep, D, and air-dash over?

Everything I've tried on my training dummy doesn't work well. All I can do is DD then dash behind and it always leads to crap damage. Neutral D or 2D causes knock back so I can't see how it would be used. Though if you are anywhere near the corner a super easy way to follow up D or 2D is with qcf+Bx2 B C jump B C jump B C qcf+C.

Chie has to stop to command Tomoe to do anything(easily dashed out of) so I can't really see pincer stuff working. Not only that it just seems the priority should be to end on the "push opponent into the corner series" if you aren't close enough. Someone feel free to tell me I'm wrong because I'm stumped.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
Okay wow I am VERY BAD AT THIS.

I've never been much of a fighting game player but I'm determined to at least be SOMEWHAT competent at this since I love Persona stuff, so does anyone have any tips? I'm playing as Teddie and getting creamed by pretty much everyone online. I've messed around with Challenge mode to try out some of his combos and stuff, but besides the most basic ones I'm really bad at having the coordination to pull a lot of these off. I'm not sure if it's me or the PS3 controller, since half the time I go to pull off a special move and accidentally waste my burst somehow? It's being really wonky and driving me nuts.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Blaine the Train posted:

since half the time I go to pull off a special move and accidentally waste my burst somehow? It's being really wonky and driving me nuts.

Check your settings, it sounds like you have burst set to when you press down on your analog.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Blaine the Train posted:

Okay wow I am VERY BAD AT THIS.

I've never been much of a fighting game player but I'm determined to at least be SOMEWHAT competent at this since I love Persona stuff, so does anyone have any tips? I'm playing as Teddie and getting creamed by pretty much everyone online. I've messed around with Challenge mode to try out some of his combos and stuff, but besides the most basic ones I'm really bad at having the coordination to pull a lot of these off. I'm not sure if it's me or the PS3 controller, since half the time I go to pull off a special move and accidentally waste my burst somehow? It's being really wonky and driving me nuts.

Dustloop.com Go to the combo thread in Teddie's forum and pick out a few of the shorter combos, do them over and over in Training. When you have the easy ones down, go for bigger ones. Keep going with the Challenge mode. You just need to build up muscle memory so when you do get an opportunity in a match you can make the most of it without having to think about it.

As for the buttons, disable everything except the four face buttons. The triggers are probably combo buttons so hitting one + a face button will trigger your burst or cancel. I think Select on the button config will clear a button assignment.

Don't do Ranked all the time. Find a lobby and hang out for awhile. If you're on PSN, there's a bunch of us scrubbing it up. There was a room going last night(I missed it), and I'm sure there will be again at some point this weekend, if not right now. Watch who's winning and think about what you could do against them. Also watch some videos and streams to see other people playing in a competitive environment. There were some good Teddies at Wednesday Night Fights yesterday. Just go to https://www.twitch.tv and search for Persona 4 Area. There's usually a stream or two up at any time. Check the Let's Watch Pro Street Fighter thread as well.

Most of this is general fighting game advice. It's what helped me move from complete scrub at everything to slightly ok. Still learning P4A

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words

Static Rook posted:

Dustloop.com Go to the combo thread in Teddie's forum and pick out a few of the shorter combos, do them over and over in Training. When you have the easy ones down, go for bigger ones. Keep going with the Challenge mode. You just need to build up muscle memory so when you do get an opportunity in a match you can make the most of it without having to think about it.

On that, a good way to do it would be getting three or four basic combos and just drilling them over and over. A combo for midscreen (no counter or anything), a combo for the corner, a combo for after an air launching All-Out Attack, and a high-damage punish combo for when they whiff a DP or something.

You'll want more combos later (like after a corner throw, midscreen max meter, etc) but for now do combo 1 for a minute or two, then move on to the next combo and the next til you loop around.

Seriously just do this in training for 30-60 minutes once (there is a trophy for 30 minutes in training consecutively anyways). Read the Dustloop forum when you take a minute or two break between combos, and just keep drilling them. You'll drop and drop, and suddenly it becomes that much easier to pull off one or two of the combos.

Hop into training for 5 minutes or so each subsequent play session before you hop online or whatever, and when you finally get into a match you might just go into those combo drills without thinking about it. I know the first time I did a 4k damage combo online I was ecstatic and it was only a few days ago ;D

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is there a trick to doing Yosuke's combo 23? It's the one where you launch them then hit B 7 times or so. I get 4 hits in then the combo fizzles and I can't really tell what I'm doing wrong. It seems like there's a slight pause after the 4th hit but I really can't get the timing right to know if that's the problem...

Thedude12
Dec 16, 2006

Bang.
I'm a ps3 scrub! My psn is thedude54 and I mostly just main Akihiko with a little Yu thrown in there for funsies

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Radish posted:

Is there a trick to doing Yosuke's combo 23? It's the one where you launch them then hit B 7 times or so. I get 4 hits in then the combo fizzles and I can't really tell what I'm doing wrong. It seems like there's a slight pause after the 4th hit but I really can't get the timing right to know if that's the problem...

Do a double jump after that 4th hit.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Emalde posted:

Do a double jump after that 4th hit.

Cool thanks I'll give it a shot!

EDIT: Hmm I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but he typically doesn't do the double jump after the launch combo starts. Every once in a while I can get it to happen but the dummy resets by that time and guards. Is there a specific point you can jump in the air mid combo?

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 17, 2012

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Darn, my friend's birthday party is tomorrow so I'm going to have to drop out of the tournament. I'll be there next week!

AmadeusVonBlastoise
Jul 4, 2008

AMADEUS AMADEUS
~DO~DO~
~DO~DO~
Trying to not be crap at a fighting game for the first time. On PS3 as Biff Manjaw.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

Check your settings, it sounds like you have burst set to when you press down on your analog.

Okay wow, I had no idea they mapped the burst to the L3 button! I disabled all that stuff and I'm dicking around in training mode with Teddie, I seem to be doing a bit better, I just have to get used to the analog stick being fidgety as hell, because the d-pads on Playstation controllers are absolutely terrible for fighting games.

Another Teddie related question--does anyone know what exactly triggers his "hunting season" move where he swipes a fish at the opponent? I was trying to pull off the fierce variant of the Bearscrew and I ended up pulling that off a few times instead. I don't see it on his movelist anywhere.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Blaine the Train posted:

Another Teddie related question--does anyone know what exactly triggers his "hunting season" move where he swipes a fish at the opponent? I was trying to pull off the fierce variant of the Bearscrew and I ended up pulling that off a few times instead. I don't see it on his movelist anywhere.

IIRC that's his sweep (2A+B).

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Groghammer posted:

Darn, my friend's birthday party is tomorrow so I'm going to have to drop out of the tournament. I'll be there next week!

Bring the game with you, streamroll some casuals under the guise of teaching them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Radish posted:

Cool thanks I'll give it a shot!

EDIT: Hmm I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but he typically doesn't do the double jump after the launch combo starts. Every once in a while I can get it to happen but the dummy resets by that time and guards. Is there a specific point you can jump in the air mid combo?

Check to make sure you're not super jumping (you'll see a slight trailing image and jump way higher). You can't double jump after a super jump. For the double jump itself, what you're doing is cancelling the 4th j.B into a jump, and it needs to be fairly deliberate for it to come out. So think of it like j.b, upforward, j.b. It'll only cancel if you do the jump input right around when it hits the opponent. if they're teching out before the double jump B hits, then just try to hit b faster after doing the jump.

• Locked thread