Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

This sounded so ridiculous that I had to go and see for myself. If the biker dude filled out all the proper NFA paperwork for an SBS (short barreled shotgun), and only had it mounted on private land and not while he was cruising around on public roads, no laws would be broken.

Colorado, where American Guns is filmed, has liberal gun laws. Along with Texas and a few other states. But yeah; that guy isn't gonna be riding around town with that shotgun. Most of the stuff they're doing on these Discovery channel shows is exhibition/entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So in the last Deadliest Catch, we got to see Freddie eat human flesh... :stare:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Happy Shark Week! :woop:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I am so disappointed that the Air Jaws series is being aired out of order.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are there any new Shark Week shows this year? I remember last year being particularly weak, they seemed to have returned to the old "sharks are scary" theme, vs the "sharks are interesting" theme they had going in previous years. The best Shark Week was the one year they got all of their regular shows to do a Shark Week episode. We had Sharky Jobs, and Sharkbusters, and Survivorshark. It was pretty rad.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

It looks like there's a few new shows featuring Discovery personalities:

SHARKZILLA - trying to recreate a Megaladon and test some of the "myths" about it - Mythbusters B-Team but not officially a Mythbusters episode

There's also a Mythbusters special where they count down their top 25 shark myths - apparently covering some new stuff too so it's not 100% clip show.

I'm with you FogHelmut - that Shark Week a couple years ago was pretty good and will be tough to top.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like Shark Week gets less interesting every year, even if some of the shows are prettier.
I hated how for a couple of years they would reserve all the shark programming for like 6 pm on to 12 and then stop, I'm sorry but this motherfucking Shark Week, I want every second to be about sharks in my Shark Week.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

FogHelmut posted:

Are there any new Shark Week shows this year? I remember last year being particularly weak, they seemed to have returned to the old "sharks are scary" theme, vs the "sharks are interesting" theme they had going in previous years. The best Shark Week was the one year they got all of their regular shows to do a Shark Week episode. We had Sharky Jobs, and Sharkbusters, and Survivorshark. It was pretty rad.

I would pay to see a shark-themed episode of Gold Rush.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

JohnSherman posted:

I would pay to see a shark-themed episode of Gold Rush.
It would be the greatest episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Is it Shark week again? Time to not watch Discovery for a week! Unless they feed the MovieBusters build team to sharks, that is.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Let's reminisce about the good shark week shows.

When the Mythbusters built a Jaws out of a massive steel tube, tied it to an APC and rammed it into the side of a boat - that was a good one.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hah, I always wondered if they were ever going to tacitly acknowledge that they basically sent Kari into a sex shop to find a pair of rubber fists for the shark punching robot.

IRQ posted:

Is it Shark week again? Time to not watch Discovery for a week! Unless they feed the MovieBusters build team to sharks, that is.
Looks like you almost got your wish!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I love how they tested "if sharks stop moving, will they die?" by holding a shark in place and checking.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

nictigre03 posted:

It could be me just misunderstanding the situation but I get the feeling Jake is on opiates because of how he acts. I also loved how he dipped out to go below deck when he was "tired" - ie he was getting his fix. I've lived with addicts through the years and have gotten really good at recognizing dipping out for fixes.

He is probably doing both opiates and meth. A lot of opiate addicts turn to meth for a change of pace and that euphoric rush they don't get from a handful of pills anymore, and vice versa, and they eventually mix them. He probably uses opiates at sea and meth at home. At sea he is always lethargic and disinterested, and at Anderson's wedding his face was covered with picking sores. Those sores are a telltale sign of meth addiction.

Also, Shark Week has been pretty disappointing so far. The only things I ever watch on Discovery are Deadliest Catch, Mythbusters, and Shark Week, and Shark Week has gotten pretty lame. I like some of the older documentaries even though I have seen most of them through the years, but there isn't enough new material to keep me interested and the new stuff they are showing just isn't interesting. Really, a show about how Jaws changed the world? I don't care. I wan't to see actual sharks and actual science goddamnit.

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
I just found out Dirty Jobs is coming back next Wednesday as Dirty Jobs: Down Under :toot:

Stay away from everything alive Mike :ohdear:

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx

Pfefferbao posted:

I just found out Dirty Jobs is coming back next Wednesday as Dirty Jobs: Down Under :toot:

Stay away from everything alive Mike :ohdear:

I could watch Mike Rowe sit and read a phone book. But seeing him contend with the Australian wilderness will probably be better.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

My favorite Shark Week show was the one about prehistoric sharks from years back.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Yeah I've been fairly bored with shark week for a few years now, but I watch anyway out of nostalgia. My mom and I watched it every year without fail. I wish she could've seen Air Jaws, she would have flipped her poo poo.

Anyway, new season of Dirty Jobs? In Australia? Yes please!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

U.T. Raptor posted:

My favorite Shark Week show was the one about prehistoric sharks from years back.

That sharkzilla special this year is somewhat entertaining, though I wish they had focused more on the science of it rather than "OH MY GOD, GIANT TEETH CRUSH A REFRIGERATOR!!!!"

I do want a GIF of the Megalodon eating a Great White whole though.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I love megaladons and am a sucker for life size replicas so I thought it was fairly entertaining. But yeah, more educational stuff and less "WATCH IT BITE THIS BEER KEG" would have been nice.

I wish they could get David Attenborough to do shark week one year.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Mister E posted:

I could watch Mike Rowe sit and read a phone book. But seeing him contend with the Australian wilderness will probably be better.

He should get Bear Grylls on board with that show since Grylls lost his Discovery deal.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Oh How Jaws Changed The World

I like this series of docs about How X Changed the World

Man look how many sharks died because people are ignorant assholes :smith:

But at least it helped with wildlife conservation in the long run :unsmith:

E: God watching people parade around a corpse of an innocent shark makes me sick.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 16, 2012

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Donating to save sharks.

sharks rule.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

achillesforever6 posted:

Oh How Jaws Changed The World

I like this series of docs about How X Changed the World

Man look how many sharks died because people are ignorant assholes :smith:

But at least it helped with wildlife conservation in the long run :unsmith:

E: God watching people parade around a corpse of an innocent shark makes me sick.
That "Mark the Shark" fucker is king rear end in a top hat. "I'd like to be there hopefully to catch the last one." *wears sunglasses indoors, is covered in shark tooth jewelry, has a tiny penis*

Tonight's show about attack survivors advocating for sharks was pretty great. Too bad they're following it up with "World's Scariest Animal Attacks." :wtc:

Also the shark expert is a moron. Great whites, like all members of the order Lamniformes, don't have a nictitating membrane; it's one of their key characteristics. They even mention it in Jaws for god's sake.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I get bored of shark week after I see the same show about jumping shark attacks on consecutive nights. That 'impossible shot' was just getting a shark to jump when a camera was overhead, not very exciting.

I want a "Sharks: Where do they rank on the Ocean Badass scale?" show. It can be just like Deadliest Warrior and have sharks v. whales, octopi, and those weird rear end fish from super deep parts of the ocean.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Democratic Pirate posted:

I want a "Sharks: Where do they rank on the Ocean Badass scale?" show. It can be just like Deadliest Warrior and have sharks v. whales, octopi, and those weird rear end fish from super deep parts of the ocean.

Where do you think they rank? They've been around for 400 million years

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Survivor man is coming back soon along with Dual Survival.

Check this out about Dual Survival. Dave is out and Cody has someone new to work with. Apparently something came up on Dave's background.

http://www.codylundin.com/wordpress/cody-lundin-press-release/

More here:

http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogspot.com/2012/05/dave-canterbury-leaves-dual-survival.html

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 16, 2012

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Rocky Mountain Bushcraft posted:

I went to POWnetwork.org and viewed Dave's military service records. From what I can tell, he was an MP in the Army for 6 years who was trained as a military police sniper and an SRT member, which is like an Army version of SWAT. There is no mention of Ranger, Survival, Scout, or Airborne Training. There is also no mention of service in Central America, only in Korea.

Obviously, the Discovery Channel and Cody figured this out last year and had to make a hard decision, or else risk losing the integrity of the show. This is really sad to hear. Dave did serve his country, but decided to embellish things which got him into trouble.

Holy poo poo how did he make it this far with such a blatant lie?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

evilwaldo posted:

Survivor man is coming back soon along with Dual Survival.

Check this out about Dual Survival. Dave is out and Cody has someone new to work with. Apparently something came up on Dave's background.

http://www.codylundin.com/wordpress/cody-lundin-press-release/

More here:

http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogspot.com/2012/05/dave-canterbury-leaves-dual-survival.html

Holy poo poo that sucks. The interaction between Cody and Dave was the best part of that show.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Now I guess we have more faux "bush hippy crap!" conflict to look forward to, since they let Dave finally stop bringing that stuff up so much in the later episodes.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

No More Heroes posted:

Holy poo poo that sucks. The interaction between Cody and Dave was the best part of that show.

Yeah, they literally reminded me of a Modern Day Odd Couple. Dave's hippy comments and Cody's comments about Dave being in the closet (subtle but great in Season 2) were the best.

No word on the replacement and it looks to be someone new who has real skills. I bet Cody is going to make a bunch of backhanded comments.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I'm disappoint by the quality of this :smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgBdEMjeT6E
I used to listen to this guy's stuff all the time

Also did Dual Survival ever do a Shark Week special?

nictigre03
Oct 31, 2011
Dang that sucks about Dave but I can see where they are coming from if he lied. Who is the new guy?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

achillesforever6 posted:

Also did Dual Survival ever do a Shark Week special?
Earlier this week they played a special featuring Dave and Cody, apparently it aired last year but I don't remember it.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
New Survivorman YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

nictigre03 posted:

Dang that sucks about Dave but I can see where they are coming from if he lied. Who is the new guy?

You'd think they would vet these people but :effort:

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
So has shark week always been only five days? I missed tonight, I'm assuming something aired. But friday and saturday are Gold Rush and Duel Survival. I feel kinda ripped off.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Shark Business Week

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Demon Of The Fall posted:

New Survivorman YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Holy poo poo this is awesome! I thought Les Stroud was done doing Survivorman. How did I not hear about this until now? Survivorman is the only survival show worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

evilwaldo posted:

Yeah, they literally reminded me of a Modern Day Odd Couple. Dave's hippy comments and Cody's comments about Dave being in the closet (subtle but great in Season 2) were the best.

No word on the replacement and it looks to be someone new who has real skills. I bet Cody is going to make a bunch of backhanded comments.

2 skilled guys is gonna be a snoozefest, even though Cody is cool. Dave the dumb redneck + Cody was magic.

• Locked thread