Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

I love Deus Vult 2 but most of the levels absolutely kill my FPS on my Win7 Macbook air. Short of running GZDoom on 4:3 320x200 resolution, what's the most effective way to boost FPS while keeping 16:9 resolution? (I have an external monitor)

What source port are you using, and what render mode is it set to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Reive posted:

What source port are you using, and what render mode is it set to?

GZDoom. How do I find out render? I guess it's OpenGL?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

GZDoom. How do I find out render? I guess it's OpenGL?

Gzdoom uses opengl only, get the latest svn of regular old zdoom and leave the renderer on software, you should get a perfect frame rate no matter the res as long as the mod isn't insanely intensive.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Reive posted:

insanely intensive.

That's pretty much what Deus Vult 2 is ;)

Bouchacha posted:

I love Deus Vult 2 but most of the levels absolutely kill my FPS on my Win7 Macbook air. Short of running GZDoom on 4:3 320x200 resolution, what's the most effective way to boost FPS while keeping 16:9 resolution? (I have an external monitor)

The readme that comes with it is pretty extensive, there's probably info on the optimal way to run it in there. You might just be SOL, doom source ports aren't particularly efficient and the scales DV2 operates at.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

Consider using Pr-Boom+ instead, or GLBoom+ which comes in the same download if you want Open GL rendering like GZDoom. The port will run the wad faster than the ZDoom ports because it doesn't contain so many features that slow it down.

Given the design of DV2, it'll probably still run poorly on your Macbook Air though. I don't think there's anything you can do about that.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I thought that Deus Vult 2 was pretty impressive for the most part, but that Hell Cathedral level, or whatever it's called? I could not figure my way around that one for the life of me. Everything is interconnected, but in such a way that makes almost no sense to any human alive. Finding the trigger to open up anything was a slog.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Reive posted:

Gzdoom uses opengl only

Nah, the ZDoom software renderer is still there too. The vid_renderer console variable controls which renderer is used, 0 for software and 1 for OpenGL.

H2Omelon posted:

Consider using Pr-Boom+ instead, or GLBoom+ which comes in the same download if you want Open GL rendering like GZDoom. The port will run the wad faster than the ZDoom ports because it doesn't contain so many features that slow it down.

It depends. ZDoom is slower when there are thousands of active monsters, but is generally faster otherwise (on Windows) because it uses native DirectX calls to display the renderer's output instead of going through SDL's bottlenecks.
See this Doomworld thread. The poster named "entryway" is the PrBoom+ developer.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I finally figured out how to get Berserker for Quake 2 working, but dios mio, man, what's it called when everything stretches and distorts when you look around? I'm not sure if it artificially inflated my FOV, or something, but I know I used to have this problem with DooM....

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

JackMackerel posted:

I finally figured out how to get Berserker for Quake 2 working, but dios mio, man, what's it called when everything stretches and distorts when you look around? I'm not sure if it artificially inflated my FOV, or something, but I know I used to have this problem with DooM....

It may not have been the same thing; in Doom-engine games, looking up and down is implemented with y-shear rather than true rotation (as it's not a true 3d engine), which gets progressively more distorted the further up and down you look. Quake 2, being a true 3d game, doesn't have this issue. It's hard to say, though, because the description is kind of unspecific.

If it is a FOV problem, try playing around with the fov console variable and see if you can come up with a setting you like.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Finally got around to playing Duke 3d for the first time. I'm gunning for a mostly vanilla experience, though I've installed the hi-def texture pack. I was wondering if there's a music pack similar to Doom 2011?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rather Dashing posted:

Finally got around to playing Duke 3d for the first time. I'm gunning for a mostly vanilla experience, though I've installed the hi-def texture pack. I was wondering if there's a music pack similar to Doom 2011?
The Hi-Res Texture Pack Site has two - Mark McWane's, which I'm not a big fan of, and Mark Knight's versions for the Playstation 1 port, which are :krad:.

Here's their respective versions of Stalker, so you can better decide which you prefer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RaXZZCndx8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dkRK5JIjSA

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Although if this is seriously your first run, I'd do it without the hi-res textures. They're a bit oversaturated compared to the originals, and are actually too detailed in a respect... it's hard to explain, I guess, but the gist of it is that Duke's regular textures were kind of obscure enough that they could be multiple things, whereas a lot of the hi-res textures wreck that and make some things look really weird. (See: arcade game with cut-off buttons with pinball scores on them)

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

JackMackerel posted:

This will happen in Doom if your fps is some absurd number like 700 and you dont have vsync on.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
As someone that loves modding games to have Hi-Res texture packs, I have to say Duke3D's is not that great. The monsters look really bad as 3D models, I'd say. The sprites look way better.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

As someone that loves modding games to have Hi-Res texture packs, I have to say Duke3D's is terribly lovely. The monsters look really bad as 3D models, I'd say. The sprites look way better.

The same could be said of Doom and Quake, though. You almost never see full suites of "hi-res" texture sets for NPCs because of how difficult it is to make them, especially if you're trying to remain faithful to the originals. 3D models are a lot easier, but then bringing sprites into the third dimension looks really goofy (see: Doom.)

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 15, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I disagree, I really would like to see super hi-res sprites to be honest. I love the sprites in Doom, though I'm not sure what you mean about Quake since those are already 3D.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

I disagree, I really would like to see super hi-res sprites to be honest. I love the sprites in Doom, though I'm not sure what you mean about Quake since those are already 3D.

The original sprites in Doom are great, but I'm talking about every single attempt at creating "high-resolution" sprites. Go ahead, do a Google search for these sort of projects (there's one up on the ZDoom Project forums right now, actually, moving at a snail's pace.) Unlike id, nobody has models to use as reference when drawing higher-resolution sprites, which means that--once you're done drawing the full-frontal of a monster--you have to be able to maintain perspective and consistency for every single other angle and animation. Attacking, pain animations, various deaths. It's an overwhelming task and most of these projects fail after the team realizes they'll never be able to finish it.

Regarding Quake, I'm more talking about its various "high-resolution" texture packs for levels, not models. A lot of them are pretty awful (or at least as awful as Duke 3D) and a lot of them are pretty awful for the same reasons as Duke 3D, as well: Using 512x512 or 1024x1024 textures for the basic geometry of a game made in 1996 doesn't work well. Like EDuke32's Polymer and Polymost renders, efforts have been made to add bump-mapping into Quake. It's incredibly inefficient and produces middling results, at best. Again, this is because of how relatively crude the game's geometry and models are. You can bump-map and normalize the poo poo out of a cube, but it's still a cube.

You would like to see high-res sprites in Doom. A lot of us would. But it's doubtful you ever will. Hence, my original point: 3D models are a lot easier to make than hand-jamming a bunch of high-resolution sprites.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This project seems to have stalled, which is a shame, since it's actually a way to improve the original game's graphics while still staying true to the great spritework.

http://www.teamhellspawn.com/voxels.htm

(of course, I can't really see it working on monsters)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The original sprites in Doom are great, but I'm talking about every single attempt at creating "high-resolution" sprites. Go ahead, do a Google search for these sort of projects (there's one up on the ZDoom Project forums right now, actually, moving at a snail's pace.) Unlike id, nobody has models to use as reference when drawing higher-resolution sprites, which means that--once you're done drawing the full-frontal of a monster--you have to be able to maintain perspective and consistency for every single other angle and animation. Attacking, pain animations, various deaths. It's an overwhelming task and most of these projects fail after the team realizes they'll never be able to finish it.

Regarding Quake, I'm more talking about its various "high-resolution" texture packs for levels, not models. A lot of them are pretty awful (or at least as awful as Duke 3D) and a lot of them are pretty awful for the same reasons as Duke 3D, as well: Using 512x512 or 1024x1024 textures for the basic geometry of a game made in 1996 doesn't work well. Like EDuke32's Polymer and Polymost renders, efforts have been made to add bump-mapping into Quake. It's incredibly inefficient and produces middling results, at best. Again, this is because of how relatively crude the game's geometry and models are. You can bump-map and normalize the poo poo out of a cube, but it's still a cube.

You would like to see high-res sprites in Doom. A lot of us would. But it's doubtful you ever will. Hence, my original point: 3D models are a lot easier to make than hand-jamming a bunch of high-resolution sprites.

Man, this post just made me realize how much I would love an HD remix version of Doom done by id in the same vein as the Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, with all new hand drawn, high resolution sprites and background art.

Reive
May 21, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Man, this post just made me realize how much I would love an HD remix version of Doom done by id in the same vein as the Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, with all new hand drawn, high resolution sprites and background art.

Same here man, after seeing the hi-re 2d FPS Retro Blazer I see the potential for sprucing up Doom, Wolf3D, or Duke.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

As someone that loves modding games to have Hi-Res texture packs, I have to say Duke3D's is not that great. The monsters look really bad as 3D models, I'd say. The sprites look way better.

Just as a clarification, I've turned off the 3d models as they do indeed look wank. I did play for a bit with the regular textures and I see what you're saying but I just prefer the game with the texture pack. I guess this comes from playing the game from such a late stage.

Thanks Kins, using the second pack.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Back when DNF first came out there was talk of porting DNF's models to DN3D, but I guess that never happened. Even without features like bump maps, DNF models look way better than the poo poo in the "high res" 3D model pack.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Thanks to this thread, I'm playing Doom for the first time in 15 years. Having played only the shareware version as a kid, I was surprised how varied the maps are. The first three episodes were a blast.

Then I hit the first level of Thy Flesh Consumed. :stare:

I've died at least 20 times in a row. I think I might have to give up on UV-fast. I can't imagine how tough this would be without mouselook.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Don't feel bad about Thy Flesh Consumed, its hard and the level design is made for gently caress the player constantly. Some people don't like it but i find it enjoyable (and still better than most Doom 2's maps).

Once you start playing old school FPS's there is no turn back :getin:

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Maximum Planck posted:

Thanks to this thread, I'm playing Doom for the first time in 15 years. Having played only the shareware version as a kid, I was surprised how varied the maps are. The first three episodes were a blast.

Then I hit the first level of Thy Flesh Consumed. :stare:

I've died at least 20 times in a row. I think I might have to give up on UV-fast. I can't imagine how tough this would be without mouselook.

The fun part is when you finally manage to get through that first level with barely any health, then promptly get slaughtered at the beginning of the next level. Good luck, you'll need it.

One of my proudest achievements in video gaming is beating E4M1/M2 on UV in the XBLA port of Doom. It's like playing on a PC without a mouse: you can't look up or down, and the only turn speed is "slower than a snail." If anything sneaks up behind you, you're hosed. It only took me an hour to beat those two levels, but dammit I did it, and I have the achievement to prove it :black101:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

The fun part is when you finally manage to get through that first level with barely any health, then promptly get slaughtered at the beginning of the next level. Good luck, you'll need it.

One of my proudest achievements in video gaming is beating E4M1/M2 on UV in the XBLA port of Doom. It's like playing on a PC without a mouse: you can't look up or down, and the only turn speed is "slower than a snail." If anything sneaks up behind you, you're hosed. It only took me an hour to beat those two levels, but dammit I did it, and I have the achievement to prove it :black101:

Playing the XBLA port of Duke3d with a gamepad was painful enough, E4M1/M2 on UV is loving insane. I can't think of No Rest for the Living on UV :suspense:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Playing the XBLA port of Duke3d with a gamepad was painful enough, E4M1/M2 on UV is loving insane. I can't think of No Rest for the Living on UV :suspense:

The only level I can remember being really difficult in that was Vivisection (Map 05), but the rest wasn't too bad.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

It's funny, because I just did this earlier today, and it was blind since I'd never played Thy Flesh Consumed before. E4M1 really wasn't too bad, although it left me with just below 50 health going into E4M2. :stare: Once I was able to get my footing back around halfway through the level with fucktons of bullets it really wasn't that bad. Mouselook is for suckers.

No Rest for the Living is on my hitlist next.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The same could be said of Doom and Quake, though. You almost never see full suites of "hi-res" texture sets for NPCs because of how difficult it is to make them, especially if you're trying to remain faithful to the originals. 3D models are a lot easier, but then bringing sprites into the third dimension looks really goofy (see: Doom.)

I don't know about that. The Darkplaces Quake engine has Super Hi-Res Textures and Models, that look AMAZING.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Technically the proper way to do it would be to create 3d models that closely approximate the sprite silhouettes, project the sprite textures onto them, refine the textures in photoshop/Mari, and then render the 3d models back into sprites.

Most sprites in Doom were never hand-drawn anyways - they're photos of maquettes that were modeled in real life.

Towards that end, it would probably be even better if you created the 3d models, projected textures onto them, and then used a 3d printer to create maquettes, hand painted them, *then* scanned them in. It would be pro-level work, but very do-able.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Kazvall posted:

I don't know about that. The Darkplaces Quake engine has Super Hi-Res Textures and Models, that look AMAZING.

I'm not sure if you're serious, but I'd be interested in a decent, full-suite model replacement for Quake if you know of one I haven't seen before. I've found onesie and twosie replacements, but nothing comprehensive or consistent. I'm using Darkplaces right now, and while the texture work for levels is pretty cool, I definitely don't feel the enthusiasm for the and models.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm not sure if you're serious, but I'd be interested in a decent, full-suite model replacement for Quake if you know of one I haven't seen before.

The Epsilon pack is a full graphical overhaul for Quake. Uses Darkplaces, I believe. It looks like this in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sGQ98QAfJA

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dominic White posted:

The Epsilon pack is a full graphical overhaul for Quake. Uses Darkplaces, I believe. It looks like this in action:

Thanks for the answer. It figures, that's exactly what I'm using right now. I want to say that the early-game enemies (Grunts, Enforcers, Ogres, Knights, etc.) are all just retextured vanilla models (the Ogre's head, for example, is basically a pentagon) and pretty awkward looking. I really do love the lighting effects, though, especially with the Dark Knight in that video you linked. It's perfect for this sort of game.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.
I always had more of a problem with the weird slidey robotic animation of those old Doomsday models than I did with the actual models themselves (although they still weren't great). Despite my crotchety old man Doom purism, I wouldn't be averse to replacing the sprites with models if they're done well, but I haven't seen any of the sort yet. I think there's a certain charm to well-textured low-poly models in particular that would mesh with Doom's art style fairly well.

Making "HD" sprites is kind of a pointless exercise to me, though. When sprites are drawn real big, I feel like they lose a lot of that artistic, mosaic-y charm and end up looking more flat than the originals as a result. I dunno if anyone's played Doom II RPG, but the monsters in those games are upscaled versions of the original sprites and they look kind of crap.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Dominic White posted:

Wow, I'd almost rather be playing with the vanilla graphics.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Thanks for the answer. It figures, that's exactly what I'm using right now. I want to say that the early-game enemies (Grunts, Enforcers, Ogres, Knights, etc.) are all just retextured vanilla models (the Ogre's head, for example, is basically a pentagon) and pretty awkward looking. I really do love the lighting effects, though, especially with the Dark Knight in that video you linked. It's perfect for this sort of game.

I think there's a re-modelling project that's done everything in the base game, but I can't recall what it was called. I might be thinking of the re-texturing project, but I could have sword the enemies were less blocky.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Epsilon is pretty sweet, but it has a weird problem where I get strange black lines that move around all over the screen while I'm playing it and never in any other game. Normally restarting the game a few times gets it to go away, so I don't think it's my card overheating.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm not sure if you're serious, but I'd be interested in a decent, full-suite model replacement for Quake if you know of one I haven't seen before. I've found onesie and twosie replacements, but nothing comprehensive or consistent. I'm using Darkplaces right now, and while the texture work for levels is pretty cool, I definitely don't feel the enthusiasm for the and models.

I don't think I'm using what everyone else is. I use two things.

Rygels Ultra High-Res Texture pack, and http://quakeone.com/reforged/index.html

This is the tech guide from reforged, on how to get both working together: http://quakeone.com/reforged/tech.html

You can also watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R14iqJnUtl0

I don't think it looks too bad. I also don't like that Epsilon thing, either.

Here is another video that explains how to install them, and side by side comparisons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr6md-6WHRs

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 17, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Kazvall posted:

I don't think I'm using what everyone else is. I use two things.

Rygels Ultra High-Res Texture pack, and http://quakeone.com/reforged/index.html

This is the tech guide from reforged, on how to get both working together: http://quakeone.com/reforged/tech.html

You can also watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R14iqJnUtl0

I don't think it looks too bad. I also don't like that Epsilon thing, either.

Here is another video that explains how to install them, and side by side comparisons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr6md-6WHRs

Nice. That guy did a really good job capturing the vile, dark feel of Quake while simultaneously hiding the fact that the models he's texturing are remarkably low-poly. Thanks for the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

CyRaptor posted:

I always had more of a problem with the weird slidey robotic animation of those old Doomsday models than I did with the actual models themselves (although they still weren't great).

Duke3D's high-res models have the exact same problem, and it's the reason why I don't use high-res models in 2.5D games unless the models look really, really good.