Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ahahahahah no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

my stepdads beer posted:

:q:
Python code:
@JSVar("jQuery")
def ready():
    jQuery('h1').click(on_click)

@JSVar("jQuery", "Math.random", "Math.floor")
def on_click():
    if jQuery('#when_clicked').html():
        r = Math.floor(Math.random() * 255)
        g = Math.floor(Math.random() * 255)
        b = Math.floor(Math.random() * 255)
        color = "rgb(%d, %d, %d)" %(r,g,b)
        jQuery('#when_clicked').attr('style', 'background-color: ' + color)
    else:
        jQuery('#when_clicked').html("you clicked it!")

jQuery(ready)

tef posted:

ahahahahah no

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

syntaxrigger posted:

it honestly seems like many programming language 'choices' people make are based on faith, branding, and experience, however programming languages are supposed to be tools. Them being tools also implies that their differences are intended to optimum in a subset of instances while being 'just ok' in others.

Is that you Yegge?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
programming languages decisions are mostly about what other poo poo is written in/easily interoperable with any given language

that is if you even have the luxury of being able to pick in the first place. "hello mr carpenter, that swell salesman guy from ToolCo sold me this $4000 set of hammers made out of plasticine that i'm going to need you to use to build a dining table for me. i mean i don't lower myself to actually needing to know poo poo about carpentry but that salesman had a spiffy presentation with big words in it and hey they cost $4000 so they've got to be good. anyway i hope you are competent and actually get the job done instead sitting around bitching about the tools that i chose for you like the other five guys i had to fire"

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Mr Dog posted:

programming languages decisions are mostly about what other poo poo is written in/easily interoperable with any given language

ahahahahahahaahahahahahah no

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
<giant topic> is really all about <domain-specific minutiae>

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
how a programming tool gets picked

* the boss likes it
* it is already in use

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

my stepdads beer posted:

:q:
Python code:
@JSVar("jQuery")
def ready():

@JSVar("jQuery", "Math.random", "Math.floor")
def on_click():
    if jQuery('#when_clicked').html():
        r = Math.floor(Math.random() * 255)
        g = Math.floor(Math.random() * 255)
        b = Math.floor(Math.random() * 255)
        color = "rgb(%d, %d, %d)" %(r,g,b)
        jQuery('#when_clicked').attr('style', 'background-color: ' + color)
    else:
        jQuery('#when_clicked').html("you clicked it!")

jQuery(ready)

code:
ready = ->

random_color = ->
  Math.floor(Math.random() * 255)

on_click = ->
  jf !jQuery('#when_clicked').html()
    return jQuery('#when_clicked').html('you clicked it!')

color = "
you know what gently caress this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

* the boss likes it
* it is already in use

Mr Dog posted:

these situations are the same if its java or c#

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

tef posted:

* the boss likes it
* it is already in use

welp

at least I have validation that my 'schooling' was 100% useless. I am glad they charged me so much money for it :suicide:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
a degree opens more doors than a non-degree.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

tef posted:

a degree opens more doors than a non-degree.

much like money. Now that I think on it a degree and money have a lot of things in common

• opens doors
  • useless as a physical object
  • value open to interpretation
  • means of controlling the working class(joke)

neat

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

a degree is a way you tell potential employers you're at least -this- much of a non-fuckup

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

syntaxrigger posted:

much like money. Now that I think on it a degree and money have a lot of things in common

• opens doors
  • useless as a physical object
  • value open to interpretation

neat

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

syntaxrigger posted:

it honestly seems like many programming language 'choices' people make are based on faith, branding, and experience, however programming languages are supposed to be tools. Them being tools also implies that their differences are intended to optimum in a subset of instances while being 'just ok' in others.

is there any place that actually evaluates programming languages based on what they do well instead of this whole 'he said, she said' brand loyalty nonsense?

news.ycombinator.com

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

syntaxrigger posted:

this but for serious

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
php is the pcp of programming languages

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
listen

you have this all wrong, ok?

listen:

a program isn't just a set of lines
it's not computer code

it's an expression
you are trying to convey something to another being
not a program, it's an idea, a feeling

a program is a poem

the medium doesn't matter

i program with my feces

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
eh fair enough

whatever, code is either algorithms or business logic and business logic is always terrible no matter what set of cryptic symbols you use to dress it up.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
much like my posts etc

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

syntaxrigger posted:

is there any place that actually evaluates programming languages based on what they do well instead of this whole 'he said, she said' brand loyalty nonsense?

:downsbravo:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

syntaxrigger posted:

welp

at least I have validation that my 'schooling' was 100% useless. I am glad they charged me so much money for it :suicide:

did you get a computer science degree because that has nothing to do with programming languages or tools

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

vapid cutlery posted:

did you get a computer science degree because that has nothing to do with programming languages or tools

basically and I am sadly starting to realize this but whatevs

at least i know i will never be 'good' at programming because i didn't start when i could type

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

(ps thanks for fixing this cutlery)

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

syntaxrigger posted:

at least i know i will never be 'good' at programming because i didn't start when i could type

ironcially or not i became better when i stopped giving a gently caress and started being super loving lazy

i mean programming is fun like building legos was, but writing all sorts of extra poo poo and putting in heroic effort just so some dick can get a bonus sucks, just use the simplest poo poo that works and get the job done, collect your check and enjoy the rest of your life

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

syntaxrigger posted:

if you can understand the concepts of recursion, iteration and namespaces the rest is just syntax and figuring out the algorithm ROOKIE CODERS GIVIN TIPZZZZZZZ

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

vapid cutlery posted:

tools not so much but languages are definitely part of cs

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i'm sure there are plenty of tools in cs

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

yesterday i wanted to find out what percentage of planets in the universe was earth so i wrote a short python script for it. only after a bunch of trial and error realizing all i had to do was change 1*10^13 into 1*10^-13 and add a percent sign(i think, i may have still messed it up).

what were some of your guys first projects? i like programming and using it when i need to deal with something a calculator can't do (windows calculator anyways) but i don't really have much interest in anything outside of that. maybe i should try giving project euler another go now that i understand a bit more than i did.

another random thought, with touch interface becoming more commonplace, do any of you think people may start to design visual programming languages or some way of doing these tasks made to work with a touch interface?

also it really feels like the bulk of learning any language is on learning the different API and less about the language itself.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

fidel sarcastro posted:

heh

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

fidel sarcastro posted:

that's not particular to cs though, they exist in any subject
in particular those taught at university, seeing how frats exist

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Apocadall posted:

what were some of your guys first projects? i like programming and using it when i need to deal with something a calculator can't do (windows calculator anyways) but i don't really have much interest in anything outside of that. maybe i should try giving project euler another go now that i understand a bit more than i did.

the first real thing i got good with was poo poo like bash scripts to back up my filez. i got really spergy with my home server one summer and wrote ALL these scripts to back up these various folders to various spots, do rotations, etc etc.

work example: at work on the helpdesk we used a couple command line query tools to check switch/port status for access point tickets. After a while i got sick of checking sh int status on 10 switches, so I wrote a nice Perl wrapper for it to check every switch at a store.

-Check the one switch we know is ALWAYS there, run sh cdp neigh to find out what switches are actually here
-Chop this up, parse, uniq and sort it
-Run the command given on the command line on each of those
-Clean up and paginate results

it took me (e:weeks) to get it running because i was cargo-culting Perl out of PDFs, and didn't really understand it, but then the boss caught wind of it and threw me a job offer and i buckled down for like a month straight and it was all good

quote:

another random thought, with touch interface becoming more commonplace, do any of you think people may start to design visual programming languages or some way of doing these tasks made to work with a touch interface?

Sikuli is a step in that direction (and it's cool)

quote:

also it really feels like the bulk of learning any language is on learning the different API and less about the language itself.

packages and libraries and "what do i have available" always take the most time for me. I had perl syntax down in a week but it took me a month to get really familiar with all the common libs we use.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 16, 2012

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Ronald Raiden posted:

tools not so much but languages are definitely part of cs

what i meant was that the languages you learn in university shouldn't put you on any particular career path, hopefully

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i had a bunch of abandoned projects that reached the 10-15 rewrites from scratch mark each

two or three of those projects later, i sort of knew what design decisions would inevitably lead to a train wreck further down the line ("voluntarily using c++" is at the top of this list)

eventually i got a job and so i actually needed to ship poo poo, and i'm actually fairly pleased with what i did ship. now i usually don't go back and rewrite stuff from scratch repeatedly. most of the time.

i keep meaning to resurrect one of those abandoned projects that i first attempted back in 2002. i mean, i know i've got the fucker licked now but i just don't have time to do it and i have like a million other things i want to do more. still got a git repo waiting for me to come back to it...

(gently caress, my first attempts at that one actually predated git that's kinda scary)

(and the other project that i abandoned i didn't even use source control on any of those attempts lmao)

basically what i'm saying is, i'm a horrible spergy idealist gently caress, never hire me.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

seems the most natural, you're posed with a problem so you use a tool that you know to solve it. i have a lot of trouble just creating for the sake of creating, most of what i do is always in pursuit of some question i have on my mind

i do want to explore electronics more, i've dabbled a small amount with breadboards and getting leds to blink and simple stuff like that but never anything more. i got this book Practical Electronics for Inventors but just reading a dense tome of information seems impractical without some underlying reason to look into the different sections. so where is a good place to start with electronics?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Apocadall posted:

seems the most natural, you're posed with a problem so you use a tool that you know to solve it. i have a lot of trouble just creating for the sake of creating, most of what i do is always in pursuit of some question i have on my mind

i always find that the hardest part. give me a problem to solve and i'll do it, but make something out of nothing? time to stare at a text editor for six hours and accomplish nothing

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
im an ideas guy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
wow, a project that predates git?!? My god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

rotor posted:

wow, a project that predates git?!? My god.

how did they ever write RCS without git