Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's a better plan than running to face it. As a practical matter this is more or less the Crocket's last turn of active combat, since it won't likely be able to reach anything next turn. Might as well make a good show of keeping the thresher from fleeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

PTN deliberately targeted the cataphract because it was dumping ammo, if it hadn't it would likely be alive right now.
Yeah, because keeping all that ammo in a torso section with no armor while being in closer range of more dangerous stuff was better. :rolleyes:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

radintorov posted:

Yeah, because keeping all that ammo in a torso section with no armor while being in closer range of more dangerous stuff was better. :rolleyes:

Statistically... yeah it is. you also have the Ac/10 in the torso which will eat up any crits, THEN you dump it when thats gone.

Crits don't always hit its just a chance and even then there is otherstuff in your torso to eat up the strike.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

Statistically... yeah it is. you also have the Ac/10 in the torso which will eat up any crits, THEN you dump it when thats gone.

Crits don't always hit its just a chance and even then there is otherstuff in your torso to eat up the strike.

And then when he keeps the ammo, gets hit in the RT (front), and gets his ammunition critted you will ask "why didn't you dump the ammo?!".

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

landcollector posted:

And then when he keeps the ammo, gets hit in the RT (front), and gets his ammunition critted you will ask "why didn't you dump the ammo?!".

Nope,

Lore of btech states the less armor/structure left on the torso the harder it is for the ammo to get critted.*

*unless the ammo is the only thing there or its in the CT.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Kerbloom.

Anyways, people keep talking about the relative ease of repairing a headcapped mech and that sound weird to me. Like, wouldn't all the computer systems and life support and really technical poo poo be in the cockpit? I'd think it would be one of the hardest things to replace.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

GruntyThrst posted:

Kerbloom.

Anyways, people keep talking about the relative ease of repairing a headcapped mech and that sound weird to me. Like, wouldn't all the computer systems and life support and really technical poo poo be in the cockpit? I'd think it would be one of the hardest things to replace.

A mechs cockpit isn't that different than a modern jet fighters, we right now in our times have everything needed to build a mech cockpit, so it ends up being one of the easier things to fix on a mech. At worst, take a cockpit from one of the destroyed mechs and put it on. FrankenFlash.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 16, 2012

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

landcollector posted:

And yet it didn't take a crit to that location this turn, so it would have still been alive.

Also the Archer took another crit to a torso that has LRM ammo shoved into it. The crit hit the launcher again.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Any thoughts on my possible options? Run up and Alpha while risking getting my ct cored? Or stay cautious and take farther shots?

\/\/ good points. I'm going for gusto, kicking asses!

Orders in: Run up and alpha/kick H1 from 1031. Follow up: If H1 is already destroyed by the time I get to shoot, torso twist and fire large and medium lasers at T5.

Let's rock and roll.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 16, 2012

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Taerkar posted:

And yet it didn't take a crit to that location this turn, so it would have still been alive.

Also the Archer took another crit to a torso that has LRM ammo shoved into it. The crit hit the launcher again.

That crit was in the right torso (whose ammo was dumped), my remaining ammo and working LRM-20 are in the LT.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Any thoughts on my possible options? Run up and Alpha while risking getting my ct cored? Or stay cautious and take farther shots?

Its up to you, I'd take the risk but :v: you could die. but a second kick is a good kick.

Also don't worry... TOO much about repairs, mechs are very tough and very salvagable, the cataphract is gone (ammo explosion taking out the CT is unsalvagable) but some of its gear might be left, the flashman needs a new head (about a days work apparently) and armor replacement (hours at worst). otherwise things are gonna be how much technical support the caps brought and what the Clanners leave behind.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 16, 2012

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

It's going to have better shots shooting at the Crockett. Not that it will take them necessarily, but it won't be able to hit you as well as it can hit me. If he wants to shoot at you his numbers are still going to be good even if you don't close in and melee, but your damage output is greater.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Atlas can't shoot the tank from its current position and I do not recommend running until you clear off the debris (piloting check penalty)So I do recommend getting off the debris and give H1 some love. (walk).

some of the lighter units might want to shift from H1 to T5 and try to keep it from escaping. (Raven and Po 10... Po 11 should continue pursuit as well and try to penetrate the rear armor)

Atlas + crockett + PHawk will do a number on the thresher, quite good chance of killing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

W.T. Fits posted:

Now let's hope it also managed to not kill itself by dumping ammo while being shot at.

Alas, it seems my hope would have been better spent elsewhere. :(

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Let's not jump all over the person who decided dumping ammo was a good idea; someone else had just successfully done so and I can see someone thinking it's a good idea. Personally I wouldn't have risked it because the gun still works, so no reason to lose the ammo.

e: Also I bet cockpits are standardized. They all have the same structure, hit locations and everything and would make sense considering how many 'mechs lose the drat things while being relatively pristine elsewhere.

Plek fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 16, 2012

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Plek posted:

e: Also I bet cockpits are standardized. They all have the same structure, hit locations and everything and would make sense considering how many 'mechs lose the drat things while being relatively pristine elsewhere.

Hate to break it to you but cockpits are not at all standardized. While you can mix parts from one mech to another as per the rules in Stratops, mixing heads HAVE to be from the same weight class iirc. And I mean, looks at the Catapult, and then compare to the Atlas; one's forward facing and mostly ferroglass or whatever the clear stuff is while the Atlas is like, all metal. They're completely different.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Plek posted:

Let's not jump all over the person who decided dumping ammo was a good idea; someone else had just successfully done so and I can see someone thinking it's a good idea. Personally I wouldn't have risked it because the gun still works, so no reason to lose the ammo.

Well, it wasn't just the cockpit being damaged. The Flashman's entire head got chopped off by an ER PPC. They might be able to FrankMech something together on the DropShip, but it's not like a single LB-X pellet came through the windshield and nailed the pilot. The entire physical structure surrounding the cockpit is now twisted metal ruins and needs to be replaced, and if they don't have either a replacement head or the expertise and tools to fabricate something from materials on hand, that 'Mech is out of it. They might be able to scrape up bits of Clan 'Mechs, but StratOps lists some fun penalties for trying to do repairs or modifications with incompatible tech-bases. Improper voltages, differing sockets and connectors, unknown computer protocols, all that jazz. It's not impossible, just harder.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
[b][/b

Shoeless posted:

Hate to break it to you but cockpits are not at all standardized. While you can mix parts from one mech to another as per the rules in Stratops, mixing heads HAVE to be from the same weight class iirc. And I mean, looks at the Catapult, and then compare to the Atlas; one's forward facing and mostly ferroglass or whatever the clear stuff is while the Atlas is like, all metal. They're completely different.

Yeah, I figure the 'mechs would have unique fixtures for the cockpit equipment, like the armor layout and canopy, but I could see the internal bits being similar. As in, like a drop-in sled that has to fit in specific dimensions and hooks up to specific harnesses. But I don't actually know the Battletech rules for this stuff, I was just making a hopeful guess.

Of course if working on cars has taught me anything, it is that there ARE standards. As many as there are manufacturers, in fact.

GenericServices posted:

Well, it wasn't just the cockpit being damaged. The Flashman's entire head got chopped off by an ER PPC. They might be able to FrankMech something together on the DropShip, but it's not like a single LB-X pellet came through the windshield and nailed the pilot. The entire physical structure surrounding the cockpit is now twisted metal ruins and needs to be replaced, and if they don't have either a replacement head or the expertise and tools to fabricate something from materials on hand, that 'Mech is out of it. They might be able to scrape up bits of Clan 'Mechs, but StratOps lists some fun penalties for trying to do repairs or modifications with incompatible tech-bases. Improper voltages, differing sockets and connectors, unknown computer protocols, all that jazz. It's not impossible, just harder.

Look on the bright side! With the surrounding bits of 'mech trashed by the ERPPC, the techs will have fewer incompatible parts to worry about. :D

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Stratops puts heads at easier to replace than torsos but not quite as easy a limbs, though limbs can take a little longer since you have to hook up each actuator separately.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Plek posted:

[b][/b
Look on the bright side! With the surrounding bits of 'mech trashed by the ERPPC, the techs will have fewer incompatible parts to worry about. :D

It's like they always say, there's a silver lining to every magnesium fire.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Ok, I have a couple stupid questions to ask about firing arcs and ridiculous situations, so please hear me out before getting the tar and feathers.

1. If I turn to face 1629 (in essence a 180 spin), my firing arc would include H1, T1 and H4 correct?

2. If that is the case, how horrible of an idea would it be to fire everything save the Gauss at H1, and fire the Gauss shot all the way down the lane to T1/H4? I would have a 4/5 on T1/H4 and could either start a hole for the Charger on the Mars, or cripple/kill the Incubus with a successful hit. Against the Thresher it would be 6/7 with the ML's and 3/4 for the MRM40.

3. Is there any way for me to fire before Affi and Remora up north? If by a miracle everthing I asked worked out and the Incubus goes down, it would be nice for them to be able to focus fire down the Mars ASAP. The Mars has an enourmous amount of potential damage, I'd rather not let that thing get another round of shots in.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks Leperflesh, updated tentative move orders below:

(Tentative) Turn SW, run 1631 → 1134 (6 MP, 5 hexes, TH + 2). Torso twist NW, fire 2x flamers at H1 Thresher (TH 9; + 1 gunnery + 2 ran + 2 target movement + 4 range) then 3x MRM-10s (TH 5; +1 gunnery + 2 ran + 2 target movement + 0 range + 1 MRM - 1 iLK). Residual heat 2 + 20, sink 18; remainder 4.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That was some beautiful shooting by that Atlas. Killed the poor Incubus twice over nearly.

The current situation of the unit is actually not that bad at all. They're battered, but if they can stay out of combat for a day or two and have the normal tech team with them they *should* be able to get stuff back into the field.

Oh yeah, and don't forget that Death Commandos have two mechs......

TildeATH posted:

Maybe I wasn't clear in my allusion to a transition from WWI/WWII to the Cold War, which was of course a transition from many small states to two dominant, large powers.

Or maybe nobody remembers the Cold War because it isn't on YouTube.
Ah, it wasn't relevant to me because I live in a neutral country and after it ended the borders went back to being what they had been for 200 years or so.

propatriamori posted:

I get the impression that the SpaceLandGrab ended once Jumpship manufacturing became LosTech and Jumpship maintenance became difficult. The overall number of ships kind of inherently limits how far you can go before you're not likely to have somebody come look for you within a feasible time frame.
It got un-lost again in the timeframe of "played" game. There's no reason they didn't go jumping around again.

GruntyThrst posted:

Kerbloom.

TRO: 3025 actually has an example of a headcapped Commando being taken back into battle by the same pilot.

With no head.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I had a dream about this next turn. In it, all the players decided on a screaming banzai charge. The entire unit was wiped out and PTN announced "since you all hosed up the next batch of players only get Wasps. 12 Wasps." Someone from the next group accused the last group of being Hitler. Then the first group accused PTN of being the Hitler of the Internet, where everyone is already Hitler, this rendering him some kind of Ur-Hitler.

What I'm saying is that I drank a lot the night before and browsed SA while half-asleep.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 17, 2012

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Defiance Industries posted:

I had a dream about this next turn. In it, all the players decided on a screaming banzai charge. The entire unit was wiped out and PTN announced "since you all hosed up the next batch of players only get Wasps. 12 Wasps." Someone from the next group accused the last group of being Hitler. Then the first group accused PTN of being the Hitler of the Internet, where everyone is already Hitler, this rendering him some kind of Ur-Hitler.

What I'm saying is that I drank a lot the night before and browsed SA while half-asleep.

Oh well, this is still better than robot-sexchat.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If Hitler had access to AC/20s, he sure as poo poo wouldn't have kept them back sniping. He would have charged those fuckers right to their horrible, grissly deaths just so they'd actually hit the enemy.

:argh:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I am giving tactical advice on what not to do. It was a prophecy.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I am giving tactical advice on what not to do. It was a prophecy.

I know. I'm just pissed mildly irritated at the Charger playing grabass and dancing around firing on 11s and poo poo.

Also, reinforcing the stereotype that Battletech Goons are literally worse than Space Hitler.

(We need an :mwo: emote.)

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

That was some beautiful shooting by that Atlas. Killed the poor Incubus twice over nearly.

I'll second that. He cored the Incubus and then kept on firing through the metal donut that was once both a mech and a man's dream of glory. So :black101:.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

Yes it did, and with two tons of ammo there's a good chance it wouldn't have been due to the way Battletech crits work. 50% chance for a 66% chance the Cataphract blows up.

quote:

And now, since the LRM is destroyed completely, any crits in that section would've automatically hit the ammo bins if they hadn't been dumped already. Now, they'll transfer to the Center Torso instead.

Plek posted:

Let's not jump all over the person who decided dumping ammo was a good idea

This.

In fact, I don't really like second guessing player pilots in general. They're doing a good job, many of them are new or first-time players, and I've had a lot of experience being the guy with no initiative (and I also have the advantage of a level of coordination the players do not).

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Ok, I have a couple stupid questions to ask about firing arcs and ridiculous situations, so please hear me out before getting the tar and feathers.

And this is why. Players shouldn't be nervous about posting their ideas in the thread. Suggestions are ok, statistics are fine, criticizing them for not playing exactly the way you would've is not.

`Mechs were going to die this mission. `Mechs will almost certainly be dying in every mission of the campaign barring serious bad luck on my part.

Summary:
Saying "In your shoes, I would've done X" or "Next time, a better move may have been to Y" is fine. Nitpicking is not.
Cut it out before you scare off George Ledoux.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He came here after seeing the poo poo we posted on the MWO forums, he's as battle hardened as any of us.

But yeah, stop making GBS threads on the players for getting killed in a tough fight. This is Battletech, not Chess.

While we're waiting for orders etc: PTN can you fill us in on some rough idea as to how salvage and repair will work? I could see it being an interesting competition opportunity here, merging the two to get stuff back in the fight with the most style or whatever.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

Zaodai posted:

I know. I'm just pissed mildly irritated at the Charger playing grabass and dancing around firing on 11s and poo poo.

Also, reinforcing the stereotype that Battletech Goons are literally worse than Space Hitler.

(We need an :mwo: emote.)

gently caress off.

Anyways, is damaged the same as nonfunctional? Can I still fire both SRM 6

This is the turn I sent PtN, I dunno why I attacked the dead warhammer but whatever

Run to 1119 fire everything except the small Laser at T2, if T2 is
dead then T1 if T1 is dead then H4

EDIT: Wait now I'm pretty confused, why DID I shoot H4 PtN :psyduck:

SageSepth fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 17, 2012

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

And this is why. Players shouldn't be nervous about posting their ideas in the thread. Suggestions are ok, statistics are fine, criticizing them for not playing exactly the way you would've is not.

`Mechs were going to die this mission. `Mechs will almost certainly be dying in every mission of the campaign barring serious bad luck on my part.

And fear of criticism/failing Goonlance doesn't lead to better or more entertaining play. The thread's seen at least one big example of the opposite, as well as some shining examples of going out in a blaze of glory.

Personally, as someone who has never played the game and is learning by reading the thread, I'd prefer to see people solicit advice in-thread so long as it doesn't delay turns too much.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Narsham posted:

And fear of criticism/failing Goonlance doesn't lead to better or more entertaining play. The thread's seen at least one big example of the opposite,
Is this a reference to SD? If so, his problems went much deeper than just this thread and don't really bear going into here. Suffice to say, the peanut gallery threw nuts at him because the reaction was not only expected but characteristic of him.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Arquinsiel posted:

Is this a reference to SD? If so, his problems went much deeper than just this thread and don't really bear going into here. Suffice to say, the peanut gallery threw nuts at him because the reaction was not only expected but characteristic of him.

And it did result in a better goon performance overall because we got to replace him with thatbastardken. :pseudo:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Ah, poo poo, I didn't mean to seem like I was coming down on radintorov for choosing to dump ammo. I was more cursing myself for correctly guessing what would happen.

He looked at the situation, weighed the options, and made the call that seemed best to him at the time. I can't fault him for that. Hell, given my own past screw ups in this thread, I'm hardly in a position where I can call other players' tactical choices into question.

I just feel bad he got blasted in the back like I thought he might. I feel like I ended up jinxing him. :(

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

I think the original rules for the Solaris round are the best example. Before PTN added objectives for different things all we had was a six-way "last man standing" and the smart way to do that is to stay it of the fighting and show up when everyone else is weak. When the rules changed Solaris got 1000x better.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

And now, since the LRM is destroyed completely, any crits in that section would've automatically hit the ammo bins if they hadn't been dumped already. Now, they'll transfer to the Center Torso instead.

Hmm my experience on megamek and in live games has been that empty ammo slots still eat up a crit it just cannot explode due to the explosion being a 0...

I wonder if that is just an expanded rule then. (I was also taught each crit slot has to go before it can transfer so for an ac-20 the torso would need 10 entire crits to start transferring.)

Or... my copy of the core rules is old, since it says both upon me looking it up.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

W.T. Fits posted:

Ah, poo poo, I didn't mean to seem like I was coming down on radintorov for choosing to dump ammo. I was more cursing myself for correctly guessing what would happen.

He looked at the situation, weighed the options, and made the call that seemed best to him at the time. I can't fault him for that. Hell, given my own past screw ups in this thread, I'm hardly in a position where I can call other players' tactical choices into question.

I just feel bad he got blasted in the back like I thought he might. I feel like I ended up jinxing him. :(

Yeah. I was just reacting to the sudden loss of the Cataphract. No harm meant, you guys are doing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I think all of Gooncompany should be ashamed of themselves, though not for their gameplay, but rather for their horrid dice-rolling. Learn to roll dice well, you schmucks.

• Locked thread