Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
Just got back, NYC had 2 packed theaters. The shorts were awesome, pre-credit trivia was fun, and the crowd was loving it.

The Planetarium joke loving killed.

The Manos 2 clips, not so much. Too schlocky.

Edit: Luckily no obnoxious people in the theater. I also didn't see any other Restoration shirts. But someone stopped me in the street hours before asking if I was attending the Rifftrax tonight cause of mine.

Probably Infected fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
The theater I was at was the most packed I've ever seen it; like a lot of other reports, there were a ton of neckbeards and the obligatory 'HAW HAW HAW', too loud guy. I didn't see anyone else there with a Manos restoration t shirt, so perhaps I was the gooniest goon after all.

The freebies are really terrible this time around - I was hoping for a short, or at the very least a digital copy of the Torgo music video.

Sanguinary Novel fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 17, 2012

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I sat behind a guy dressed as The Master. :3:

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
It was surprisingly nice at the theater I went to. No one was laughing to loud or riffing the movie themselves. One guy about five seats away from me was lugging around a framed picture, though. :wtc:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I saw it in New Brunswick, NJ and man that was hilarious. The gigantic neckbeard sitting behind me saying "OH GAWD!" and laughing really loudly at all the lame jokes that no one else laughed at was kind of a detraction. Theater was pretty packed... Really hope it gets a dvd release so I can watch it again without the B.O. stink.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
One of my favorites parts of this Live was watching a woman in the row in front of me (had to be in her 70s, maybe 80s) who was probably brought there by her middle-aged daughter. It felt odd looking around the room as a 25-year-old and realizing I was actually below the average age of the audience.

The woman was laughing so much that it made me smile. She looked exactly like the kind of old woman who would never laugh at anything in a movie that was made after 1974. But here we were both laughing our rear end off watching a man try to get up out of a dirt pile for half a minute.

Best part: after it ended and everyone was getting up to leave, the woman checked with her daughter to see if she thought the movie was a real movie.

Old woman, I have no idea.

Also no one in the theater was obnoxious. Some people laughed a bit loud but that is to be expected :)

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I am so loving pissed I had to work tonight and miss this :mad:

I hope they release a DVD :(

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

yeah I hope they release a DVD or at least put it on VOD. I am taking care of my mom because she had neck surgery and I couldn't go to the theater.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Forced center-of-attention laughs aside, I really love weird laughs.

The 6'10" 400 pound guy with the squeaky "eeeeHEEEheeeHEEEEEeeeee" laugh is just all kinds of :3:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

This was my second Rifftrax Live (first was House on Haunted Hill) and it did not fail to make me laugh.

I think they trumped the MST3K episode purely by having enough material for it. I was expecting some of the old riffs like "This is going to be a snuff film, isn't it" but this version has definitely proved to be better.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Space Cob posted:

One of my favorites parts of this Live was watching a woman in the row in front of me (had to be in her 70s, maybe 80s) who was probably brought there by her middle-aged daughter. It felt odd looking around the room as a 25-year-old and realizing I was actually below the average age of the audience.

The woman was laughing so much that it made me smile. She looked exactly like the kind of old woman who would never laugh at anything in a movie that was made after 1974. But here we were both laughing our rear end off watching a man try to get up out of a dirt pile for half a minute.

Best part: after it ended and everyone was getting up to leave, the woman checked with her daughter to see if she thought the movie was a real movie.

Old woman, I have no idea.

Also no one in the theater was obnoxious. Some people laughed a bit loud but that is to be expected :)

Kind of drives home how long it's been since MST aired Manos (almost 20 years :gonk: ). A lot of us were kids growing up on MST, but a lot of parents were watching with us too. Add 20 years and you get a buncha geezers who look like Kevin, Bill and Mike but not the ageless wonder.

On the Manos sequel, things I like: using some of the original cast like Debbie, Margaret and The Master.

Things I don't like: everything else. Jesus.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Captain Invictus posted:

I think the thing I hate the most about Rifftrax Live events are the COMEDY KINGS who think that they can riff alongside Bill, Mike, and Kevin.

This really is the worst. When I saw Jack the Giant Killer some girl did this extremely loudly until finally someone yelled for her to shut up; same girl was there tonight but apart from yelling a few of the original MST jokes and a loud (faux?) outrage at the Unitarian joke, she mostly stayed quiet.

The Master beating his wife was cut from the MST version, wasn't it? That was a whole other level of disturbing.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Speaking of which, is the Jack the Giant Killer VOD really worth $15? I mean obviously it is, but just humour me.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

No bad audience members in Pittsburgh. Well, except for maybe myself. I like to laugh so I might have been too loud and when it's real good I jerk my whole body back. Does this make me a bad man? :ohdear:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
"The top bed is for me. The bottom bed is for my... drippings."

:barf:

EDIT:

Lamont Cranston posted:

The Master beating his wife was cut from the MST version, wasn't it? That was a whole other level of disturbing.

I actually like that scene, because it reinforces my opinion that Manos could have actually been a decent film... if not for the people making it, the technology at the time, and the writer's writing it.

That scene shows a clearly disheveled Master, whose wives have started a civil war over the fact that a female child has entered the area. Nothing the Master/Manos has done is making anything better. He 'kills' Torgo, and nothing gets better. He ties up his First Wife, and nothing gets better. In that scene, I see the potential of (shocking) a good idea for a movie.

A family stumbles into some sort of cult that, just by stumbling in, causes the cult to fracture. As the cult fractures, the family is caught in the crossfire.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 17, 2012

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I must say I was heartened to see Gene Snitsky making it to the big screen on his own. Take that, WWE!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Jay Dub posted:

I sat behind a guy dressed as The Master. :3:

Could've been worse — you could've sat behind the guy who brought his autographed Crow T. Robot to Nashville :awesome:

That was my fourth RiffTrax Live; nevertheless, my expectations were exceeded. I love MST3k as much as anyone but always found Manos to be so terrible that even Joel and the Bots couldn't save it, but Mike, Kevin and Bill certainly did.

It's been years, though, so I intend to watch it again.

Also, I realized I had driven on that "scenic" overlook at the beginning of the film when I was in El Paso for work :v:

E: Was mildly disappointed at the lack of Lowtax, though.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Poor Norman.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore

tagelthebagel posted:

That's exactly where I will be headed! Going with two friends. If you get this in the next 3 hours that is. woo hoo RiffTrax

Were you and your friends sitting in the very front row? That was a great riff, I had to fight back the urge to howl with laughter many times, I forgot how god awful that movie was.

I got there later than I wanted to because a freak storm on Highway 97 slowed me down. :\

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Duo TCR posted:

Poor Norman.

What in the drat hell was that short supposed to be? :confused:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Great show, but I have to say I didn't care for them including the people from Manos 2. When the show ended with the brief trailer for Manos 2, everyone in the theater wasn't sure how to react. It looks like a high-school film.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

FlamingLiberal posted:

Great show, but I have to say I didn't care for them including the people from Manos 2. When the show ended with the brief trailer for Manos 2, everyone in the theater wasn't sure how to react. It looks like a high-school film.

I totally agree. I really enjoyed the show and was laughing most of the time, but the 'Torgo Pizza' skit and the end music video were both kind of awkward.

I was excited to see that version of Manos also had footage I had not previously seen on the public domain version. I'm really looking forward to seeing even how much more will be restored to Ben's restoration

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Dr_Strangelove posted:

What in the drat hell was that short supposed to be? :confused:

The 70's.

Also, "that terrible moment when Norman realizes he's finally alone with...Norman."

:smith:

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
"White trash Edward and Bella" was easily the highlight for me.

I also really liked some of the cards they showed before it started that parodied those pre-movie slideshows.

Movie quotes: "I don't feel like they respected the characters enough." -Guy who voiced Yoda in the Star Wars prequels talking about 2011's The Muppets.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore

AndyP posted:

"White trash Edward and Bella" was easily the highlight for me.

I also really liked some of the cards they showed before it started that parodied those pre-movie slideshows.

Movie quotes: "I don't feel like they respected the characters enough." -Guy who voiced Yoda in the Star Wars prequels talking about 2011's The Muppets.

Some of those had me laughing out loud. I think my favorite was how the Avengers 2 would be credits and then 2 hours of Nick Fury recruiting characters for the Avengers.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Great show- unfortunately got in late and didn't get a chance to see the Norman short, but Cylinders and Manos were both great, and I even got a free poster for the event afterwards when one of the theater staff was changing it out.

I think my favorite riffs were the incredulous "IS IT?" from Mike when the kid made a "planetarium" out of a toilet paper roll, and "Better get back to directing" as the husband character in Manos clumsily walks out of the shot. There were some great riffs in Manos, though, a lot I'm forgetting.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
Amazing show, and the trivia cards were hilarious. Our favorite was "Movie Mistakes: Sam Worthington". No overly annoying people aside from the guy with the inexplicably loud Revenge of the Nerds laugh that seems to be at all of these. I'm hoping he's stricken with laryngitis for Birdemic.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Movie Mistakes: The makers of Prometheus forgot to add the part that makes sense.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It felt a bit :filez: to have done so, but I snapped a few pictures of the slides while I was waiting. I'll edit this post and put 'em in, once they download.

EDIT: Here they are. Sorry for the delay, the originals were too big.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 17, 2012

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tristesse posted:

I saw it in New Brunswick, NJ and man that was hilarious. The gigantic neckbeard sitting behind me saying "OH GAWD!" and laughing really loudly at all the lame jokes that no one else laughed at was kind of a detraction. Theater was pretty packed... Really hope it gets a dvd release so I can watch it again without the B.O. stink.

I was there too. About quadruple the people from the last one which is pretty insane.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
Had a great time seeing it in Clifton NJ. I think I had the only restoration shirt on. There was some guy there in a top hat, truly the gooniest goon in my theater.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Hamilton NJ, and it was a very nice normal crowd. I apologize for the super loud laughing, that was my brother. :v:

And as fun as all of that was I'm still completely baffled by the Norman short. Why? Why?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MisterBibs posted:

It felt a bit :filez: to have done so, but I snapped a few pictures of the slides while I was waiting. I'll edit this post and put 'em in, once they download.

EDIT: Here they are. Sorry for the delay, the originals were too big.

Haha, I loved these. I got a couple too, and they're some of the few you didn't post:

(sorry for the Instagram pics)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
That cylinder short was incredible. I managed to avoid seeing Manos before tonight (I have such a huge collection of poo poo I'm not sure how) so it was pretty cool to see it for the first time this way.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

SirPhoebos posted:

I must say I was heartened to see Gene Snitsky making it to the big screen on his own. Take that, WWE!

I THOUGHT that guy looked familiar!

Also, if you liked the cylinder short, the one about grasses and the one about boxes are exactly the same: 10 minutes of children piling garbage together.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

MassRayPer posted:

That cylinder short was incredible. I managed to avoid seeing Manos before tonight (I have such a huge collection of poo poo I'm not sure how) so it was pretty cool to see it for the first time this way.

That's almost impossible.

Manos, Pod People, and Space Mutiny are like THE MST3K episodes. Even non-fans have seen them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MassRayPer posted:

At least you hadn't seen it before with no commentary track or something v:shobon:v

This was my 2nd time seeing it, first being on MST3k years ago.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Manos was fantastic. I had my sweater sleeve over my mouth for about half of the movie to suppress my hysterics. One of my friends had never seen Manos, and every ten minutes or so she'd lean over to one of us and ask, "So, what the gently caress?"

I hope they put this one on DVD. They knocked it out of the park.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Saw (and smelled) some real goonish loving people in that theater tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

That's almost impossible.

Manos, Pod People, and Space Mutiny are like THE MST3K episodes. Even non-fans have seen them.

I find Joel's voice really annoying so I try to avoid those as much as possible, they really aren't my thing. At one point I thought I had seen this movie but then I realized I was confusing Torgo and Tor Johnson. I still expected a large bald monster to be involved in this movie until basically the end.

Animal-Mother posted:

Saw (and smelled) some real goonish loving people in that theater tonight.

This one guy behind us kept commenting on my friend's cleavage and how giant it was. She has really normal sized breasts, but thanks giant fat man with unkempt facial hair, you made our night creepier, and somehow more hilarious. I didn't really look around the theater but that guy seemed to sum the audience up.

• Locked thread