Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Roar posted:

Look at how wrong you are

Though to be fair the effect is kind of lost without helloimdan chanting "this is going to work, this is definitely going to work" in the background.

I can't speak for him but I think he meant it more as "This is still really funny, but it's the least of their hilarious antics" as opposed to just "This isn't funny."

:)

Feel free to see this as another recommendation for the Mercs 2 LP. I'm planning on re-watching it again myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

helloitsdan and Lithuanian Dad's Mercenaries 2 LP is, in my opinion, one of the greatest LPs I've ever watched and is one of the ones that inspired me to start my own LPs.

Seriously. People should watch it if they haven't.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Kaubocks posted:

helloitsdan and Lithuanian Dad's Mercenaries 2 LP is, in my opinion, one of the greatest LPs I've ever watched and is one of the ones that inspired me to start my own LPs.

Seconding it and also recommending their LP of Lost Planet 2. Dan and Dad are just a comedic force that cannot be stopped.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Catsworth posted:

I can't speak for him but I think he meant it more as "This is still really funny, but it's the least of their hilarious antics" as opposed to just "This isn't funny."

:)

Feel free to see this as another recommendation for the Mercs 2 LP. I'm planning on re-watching it again myself.

Yup, that's what I meant. I've been re-watching both of them while I play FFXIII. It's been interesting.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Offsite, but SwordlessLink is doing a "Lets Speedrun" of Wind Waker, and its pretty great so far. Chill commentary, and its cool to hear about all the things that go into a speedrun.

Starts here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AKBM06AWxE

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

On the subject of off-site LPs, two of the developers from the Ratchet and Clank series are playing through the second and third games, which they worked on. You can start with this video.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

FactsAreUseless posted:

On the subject of off-site LPs, two of the developers from the Ratchet and Clank series are playing through the second and third games, which they worked on. You can start with this video.

This is really cool, actually thanks for linking it.

trw
Dec 24, 2003
Another off-site tip. Idle Thumbs does some livestreams now and then and this first one is with one of Bioshocks lead level designers playing through the map he worked on and commenting on it, really good stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/b/322438377

The first part is a bit choppy but the rest is great.

LesBeardly
Jul 4, 2010

BEST BALLS ON SA AWARD
If anyone hasn't watched Psychedelic Eyeball's LP of Super Meat Boy, you owe it to yourself to go watch it now. Don't ask why, just do it!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

CrookedB posted:

Any good text adventure (not CYOA) LPs out there? Doesn't have to be on the archive.

About 3 years back, several folks went through the entire Infocom catalog plus a few other similar games. The OP of this LP links most (if not all) of them. Requires archives, but there's some great stuff in there.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
There is a YouTube author by the name of Blaise9 that does a lot of LPs without commentary but in high quality, mostly boss rushes. If you look at the left side of his background, you can see the long list of games he's gone through. His usual attitude is to hold off for a while, and then release a bunch of videos at once for a game.

He just went through a ROM hack of Super Mario RPG called Armageddon, which is basically making everything very hard, and I believe there are some new things involved. I don't know, since I didn't look it up. I did watch his Hybrid Heaven LP, though, which was interesting to watch. I'm always up for powerbombing aliens.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Blaise9/

AMReese fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 20, 2012

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Reginald Bathwater posted:

Offsite, but SwordlessLink is doing a "Lets Speedrun" of Wind Waker, and its pretty great so far. Chill commentary, and its cool to hear about all the things that go into a speedrun.

Starts here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AKBM06AWxE

This is pretty neat, but he's got some serious interlacing (I think?) issues that give me motion sickness when i try to watch the videos in full-screen. I believe this same person also has a speedrun-with-commentary for Metroid Prime on Speed Demos Archive.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I'm really enjoying Kloudtana's DS Castlevanias LP. He's showing off everything (and in the games he's doing there's a LOT to show off), his commentators are chill, and he's updating at an absurd pace.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

AMReese posted:

There is a YouTube author by the name of Blaise9 that does a lot of LPs without commentary but in high quality, mostly boss rushes. If you look at the left side of his background, you can see the long list of games he's gone through. His usual attitude is to hold off for a while, and then release a bunch of videos at once for a game.

He just went through a ROM hack of Super Mario RPG called Armageddon, which is basically making everything very hard, and I believe there are some new things involved. I don't know, since I didn't look it up. I did watch his Hybrid Heaven LP, though, which was interesting to watch. I'm always up for powerbombing aliens.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Blaise9/

Liking the style, but I was disappointed that almost all his stuff was just the bosses. Been looking for a good SMT: Nocturne VLP to run in the background while I do stuff. Same with a BoF: DQ one, since Mazurya's went south.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
I know how you feel about there being a lot of boss rushes, but at least he did something.

Also, for those that are curious, I found a couple of YouTube authors that played through both series of .hack. They're both without commentary (which I prefer most of the time since a lot of commentary can be annoying and they drown out the good music of some games).

Here's a playlist of .hack//Infection
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8C75B02506056CA2

And here's a playlist of .hack//GU Volume 1
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60823222CFF78298

They go through all the message board stuff slow enough for you to read them yourself with barely having to pause the video, and the quality is clear enough (480p for both) for you to see what's going on.

It's the next best thing to an actual LP of the games on SA, and both authors go through the entirety of their respective series, and have been finished for a while.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Hello everyone, my name is slowbeef and I'd like to preface my recommendation with the following: I like adventure games, and the more obtuse the puzzles, and the worse the writing, the better candidate I feel they are for LP mockery shenanigans. Some of the things I've LPed:

- Darkseed: In which we tie a rope to a gargoyle to rappel down the side of our house to avoid the police who are controlled by aliens and standing outside the front door not doing anything.

- Amazon: Guardians of Eden: In which we put a trash can on our heads to fool a sci-fi robot in order to break into an area of our own job.

- Sprung: In which we had to get panties from an old lady.

So, I think I know something about bad adventure games... no, let me amend that. I thought I knew about bad adventure games, but Bacter blows me the gently caress out of the water with Bureau 13

On paper, it's like X-Files meets Men in Black - a covert government agency recruits supernatural beings like aliens and vampires in order to suppress knowledge of, and neutralize, evil supernatural beings like demons and vampires.

In practice, holy hell, this is a trainwreck of trainwrecks. Our covert unit consists of a woman in a bikini and a battlemech (the torso of the mech is glass so we can have our cheesecake and eat it too*), a priest, a vampire, and an old witch who is actually kinda stacked. It's like a setup to a joke, and it is, because I can not get over how bad it gets. Dialogue trees simply end mid-conversation, your vampire doesn't appear to do anything useful, and none of the NPCs blink an eye at the bikini girl in the battlemech, and she even successfully passes herself off as a reporter!

"Gee slowbeef," you say. "I doubt the game takes itself that seriously." No... no, it does. It just ran out of budget, apparently.

It's currently ongoing, Bacter includes audience interaction in the form of both voting ("Should we go to the forest or the other forest?**") and audience-written writing challenges, which admittedly, I skipped, opting to read the LP updates first. His snarky commentary actually does help complement things.

So, if, like me, you are amused by obtuse puzzles and watching people backtrack and pixel hunt, give Bureau 13 a whirl.

* I'm pretty sure I stole that joke from Carrot Top or something

** Actual in-game choice

PaulMorel
Oct 16, 2008
gb2gbs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

slowbeef posted:

Bureau 13

This game is so bad that I literally cannot follow it due to fremdschämen, and I thoroughly enjoyed Limbo of the Lost. Consider that a recommendation. Bacter does an excellent job with it as well.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

On the topic of really bad adventure games: The dark half. Another case of extremely dumb puzzles embedded in a nonsensical story. As long as there is a cutscenes later that explains everything it's okay I guess.

Another thread I read is Indiana Jones and the emperors tomb. It is a game about blasting thugs with a shotgun from 2 feet, beating the crap out of them with a liquor bottle and most importantly about indies hat.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

Chiming in on this. I was one of the lucky goons who watched the Lost Planet LP before it was lost to the mists of time. I'm sad it's no longer up, but their other LPs are golden.

Have they done anything else since LP2?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Not So Fast posted:

Chiming in on this. I was one of the lucky goons who watched the Lost Planet LP before it was lost to the mists of time. I'm sad it's no longer up, but their other LPs are golden.

Have they done anything else since LP2?
They haven't done anything together but I think the last thing that L. Dad did was MDK and MDK 2. Both of which were fairly entertaining.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'd also like to chime in and recommend Mercenaries 2 as one of the best things that's ever come out of this subforum, both the main updates and all the side content. It's comedy gold from end to end.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Well, I was going to recommend the El Shaddai thread because the game is fantastic, but I guess you should wait until he gets a few more episodes up.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 27, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Azure_Horizon posted:

The El Shaddai LP thread deserves a look. It's truly one of the most beautiful art games ever made.
I'm sure it's quite nice, but it's a bit early to recommend it, isn't it? It's still only one page long.

Proteus4994 posted:

Edit 3: I shouldn't have to say this, but don't recommend threads that just started. I can't give a concrete number of how many updates or whatever a thread should have before you recommend it, but I would suggest that the LP should at least be 1/4 to 1/3 complete before you post a recommendation. You don't know if the thread is going to be abandoned or if it's all going to go downhill from a great start or whatever. Just don't do this. Even if you've loved every other LP the person has done and they've never abandoned anything before ever, don't do it. It waters down both your recommendation and the recommendations of everyone else in here.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
The Exit Fate thread is hands down the best LP I've ever read. The topic creator goes out of his way to cover everything interesting in the game, there's almost always an update every day or every other day, fantastic fanart is littering the topic and best of all the creator of the game himself pops into the thread about halfway through. He posts full maps of the game world, content that was cut or changed from the very first version of the game, beautiful artwork of scenes in the game made just for the thread and now that the LP is over, he's drawing comics for the thread showing events that occur after the game has ended.

- The only non-spoily image from the comic, to give you an image of what sort of work is being done.

If you haven't checked it out so far, it's well worth a look. :) Has any other LP in this forum had the game's designer swing by?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jesto posted:

Has any other LP in this forum had the game's designer swing by?

I think Swery didn't stop by, but he took notice that Spy Fiction was being lped by supergreatfriend.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Jesto posted:

If you haven't checked it out so far, it's well worth a look. :) Has any other LP in this forum had the game's designer swing by?
I know Yahtzee popped in when the Trilby games were LP'ed, and I know a few random people that worked on the games have popped in sometimes (like in Nidoking's Prince of Persia 2 LP). Also I think when that Final Fantasy Tactics hardmode mod was being LP'ed the creator got an account on here.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 27, 2012

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

Jesto posted:

It's happened a few times. The big example being the pokemon LPs by Red Chocobo, in which Doug Dinsdale always comments, and he was one of the translators for ever game up to platinum, I think.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Jesto posted:

The old Sanitarium LP had the creator give a level-by-level analysis of what the designers were going for.

Recently, Adam Cadre, author of a bunch of IF games gave commentary on his games being LPed.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

IIRC, one of the guys who worked on Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent showed up for toddy's LP thread.

e; if you have archives, he starts posting here.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
The Metroid Redesign LP got the creator in one or two videos.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

Jesto posted:

In the Roguelike thread, the designer of desktop dungeons was in a video if my memory serves me correctly.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Jesto posted:

One of the Obsidian devs showed up in CirclMastr's Alpha Protocol LP and the author of Torn Apart: Over the Net; Kay showed up in FirstAidKite's LP as well.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Jesto posted:

I believe Chef Boyardee swung by when Barkley: Shut Up And Jam Gaiden was LP'd.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Jesto posted:

In Psychedelic Eyeball's Super Meat Boy LP, he got RockLeeSmile to guest in the video of his custom chapter, The Passenger.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Jesto posted:

Gimbal lock worked on some of the Prince of Persia games and hops into the threads to talk about his part on the games. PoP:WW and PoP:TT are 2 that he commented on.

I think he also made a few posts in the Assassin's Creed LP but I am not sure and can't check.

Edit: The Void Archived, thread also had one of the programers post a bit. Looks like you have to go to the thread to see the posts though.

Major_JF fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 28, 2012

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
To my knowledge (and I'm pretty sure about this) they didn't offer input, but I let the Williams', Roberta and Ken, know about the Colonel's Bequest LP and I know they followed it along with Doug Herring, the guy who did the art.

Pickwick
Sep 12, 2009

I CAN'T EVEN TROLL LADY GAGA FANS WITHOUT FUCKING UP. PLEASE BAN ME.
Hey,

I'm looking for an LP by someone on a game they know everything about. Preferably it would be 100% run, but more important than that is the fact that the player knows where all the easter eggs, glitches, and interesting things in the game are. I want to watch someone play a game they clearly love (not a game they're using gamefaqs to get full completion).

For example, I really enjoyed watching some MGS let's plays a few years ago. I can't remember who did them, but they were very popular on this forum.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Pickwick posted:

Hey,

I'm looking for an LP by someone on a game they know everything about. Preferably it would be 100% run, but more important than that is the fact that the player knows where all the easter eggs, glitches, and interesting things in the game are. I want to watch someone play a game they clearly love (not a game they're using gamefaqs to get full completion).

For example, I really enjoyed watching some MGS let's plays a few years ago. I can't remember who did them, but they were very popular on this forum.

Well I would start with Coolguy's Dark Messaih LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
You want this; http://lparchive.org/Project-IGI/
Girgast explains things about the game engine, explorers every possible place you can get to on a map and frequently where you can escape the map, finds every single pick up and shows off tons of other stuff. It's rather obsessive but presented in a very casual, friendly manner and you can tell he's doing it because he really enjoys this kind of thing and not just for completeionism.

"Here's what happens if you plant mines in X location but here's what happens if you plants it in Y location and here's what happens if you do each of these things while also letting that tank I caused to spawn but didn't kill 10 minutes ago catch up with me."

Then go and find watch Chaser LP and be delighted at glass physics and level geometry.

Then catch up with his Cold Fear LP in which he has made a custom video capture method or something to show off the wire frames, once again gives a good look to level design and every possible scenario a player could create and wish he would get back to updating it.

Once you're done with that check out maybe try Rooreeloos Banjo Kazooie and Tooie Subtitled LPs in which every pickup is picked up and a fair number of glitches and cheats are demonstrated. Then feel sad that he never got back to finishing RooreeloooNuts and Bolts because "he has a life beyond entertaining me" or some other silly excuse.

THEN you can swing into Oatmelraisin's Dead Rising LP.

Oh, oh! Don't forget TheManWithAHat's run of Batman: Arkham Asylum.

AccountingNightmare walks all over Devil May Cry 1, 2 and 3 like it's childs play and finds every little thing. Because why not?

And last but by no means least; Deadly Premonition in whic our brave SuperGreatFriend goes so far as to explore parts of the town you need never, ever go to and reviews the movies our very interesting protagonist off handedly mentions.

Hopefully that should hold you over for now. Enjoy losing all your free time.

• Locked thread