Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gynovore posted:

If you're going Unarmed, start out by buying Boxing Tape from Chet in Goodsprings. Later, go with a spiked gauntlet, found in Primm, or brass knuckles, which can be found at the highway outpost just south of Primm. Eventually, get a Ballistic Fist or one of it's unique variants. Altogether, this isn't as powerful as Guns or Energy, but at default difficulty you'll do just fine.

If you play with CCO Perks Rebalance, Unarmed/Melee seems OP as gently caress. So many awesome perks for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I've had PURE lying around for a while as it was a pack-in for my 360. Haven't touched it yet, but I figure I may as well try to get some amusement out of it. What say you, thread?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you play with CCO Perks Rebalance, Unarmed/Melee seems OP as gently caress. So many awesome perks for it.

I'm on XBox, so no mods. I've just played through Fallout 3 with Small Guns, and want something different.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Count Chocula posted:

I'm on XBox, so no mods. I've just played through Fallout 3 with Small Guns, and want something different.

Unlike FO3, which was dominated by Small Guns for the first half and Energy Weapons for the second, in New Vegas all weapon skills are viable from start to finish. Granted, Unarmed doesn't offer you as many choices as Guns and Energy, but it's still good.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Count Chocula posted:

Explosives owns.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Super Monday Night Combat

I only want the TF2 hats.

Hats Hats Hats.

Any tips on grinding Agent level 20 for it or any resources that'll help me?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I just started Rogue Galaxy and I'm on Juraika. Are the Burkaquans less awkwardly racist than they seem at first, and if not, is the rest of the game gonna be like that with each planet being a 19th century racial stereotype or something? Because holy poo poo, they're literally jungle warriors with giant masks, huge lips and spears and loincloths who hate technology and are obsessed with white women.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I just started Rogue Galaxy and I'm on Juraika. Are the Burkaquans less awkwardly racist than they seem at first, and if not, is the rest of the game gonna be like that with each planet being a 19th century racial stereotype or something? Because holy poo poo, they're literally jungle warriors with giant masks, huge lips and spears and loincloths who hate technology and are obsessed with white women.

Nope, they're exactly what you're seeing. Also the game quality starts taking a harsh nose dive from this point on and by the time you reach the absolutely horrific endboss you'll wonder why you kept going.

Enjoy!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
:stare: Thank god I only paid like $5 for it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Finishing up Metro 2033 (I hope!) soon.

Going to move on to S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl afterwards. I know it's been brushed upon already, but any other tips on that game?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Barudak posted:

Nope, they're exactly what you're seeing. Also the game quality starts taking a harsh nose dive from this point on and by the time you reach the absolutely horrific endboss you'll wonder why you kept going.

Enjoy!

Counterpoint: I enjoyed Rogue Galaxy immensely, but to be fair I was totally immersed in the weapon grinding mechanics and could have paid very little attention to the plot/atmosphere.

Basically Level 5 know how to press my buttons when it comes to mechanics.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Small bit of advice for rouge planet, try to keep everyone's weapons and level about the same, you'll thank me when you reach the end.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Finishing up Metro 2033 (I hope!) soon.

Going to move on to S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl afterwards. I know it's been brushed upon already, but any other tips on that game?

-Save often and keep numerous different saves. You never know when a quest bug might pop up and force you to re-do something.
-Underground, your best friend is a shotgun or rifle with underslung grenade launcher. That, and calm nerves.
-Get the Stalker Complete Mod. For the most part it just improves textures and adds some graphics features and it stays true to the original game's spirit. It also makes some much needed changes to the AI. They don't charge into anomalies and commit suicide, they can throw grenades and their calls for help don't reach as far. That last bit is key, because there are times when an entire map would aggro on you after a single shot.
It also has some optional gameplay features, like a sleeping bag and repair kits which are nice if you don't like making constant trips back to the cordon.
-Yes, all the starting guns suck. Plink away at your enemies from a distance. It's safest to fight in night-time, as the darkness lets you run away and flank the enemy repeatedly. This only works on humans though, god help you if a mutant catches you in the dark.

There are some other really interesting overhaul mods such as Oblivion Lost and L.U.R.K., but they change the gameplay quite a bit, and are probably best suited for a replay.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 17, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Small bit of advice for rouge planet, try to keep everyone's weapons and level about the same, you'll thank me when you reach the end.

Doesn't seem like it should be too hard since non-active party members get EXP too, but thanks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for The Walking Dead episodes 1 & 2?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy? I've heard this game was basically developed on some alien planet / alternate plane of reality.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Cbouncerrun posted:

Anything for The Walking Dead episodes 1 & 2?

So far, no choice you make can screw you over too hard later. I'd say stick with the choices you make, and resist the urge to redo a scene if a decision had consequences you weren't expecting.

There are a couple points that give you a serious choice. I recommend playing a second save through if you're curious what happens after the other choice. I missed out on one of my favorite characters on my first run because of a choice I made, and I'm glad that I started a second save and picked the opposite.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy? I've heard this game was basically developed on some alien planet / alternate plane of reality.

Research the medkit ASAP.

Put research on low speed, your brouzouf income likely won't keep pace with fast research costs.

Difficulty is very configurable, don't be afraid to screw around with it.

I also recommend obtaining the huge pistol as an all purpose sidearm for taking down tough armored targets.

Have fun, it's a great and unique game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Turrets can fire while you're carrying them, and can also block incoming bullets. You can go a long way by bringing a deployable friendly turret and just carrying it in front of you.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

TheRagamuffin posted:

So far, no choice you make can screw you over too hard later. I'd say stick with the choices you make, and resist the urge to redo a scene if a decision had consequences you weren't expecting.

Let me say that the primary attraction/mechanic of these games is tough choices and making you feel lovely about them. That's the game. If you can't live without seeing the other road, it might not be the game for you.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Old school question: How far should I read in the various Rift War series before I play Betrayal at Krondor?

Similar question for The Witcher

edit: vvv Thanks! Now I don't have to read The Witcher at all! But seriously, thanks for saving me a bunch of time that I can now use to play video games instead of reading.

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 17, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gorilla Radio posted:

Old school question: How far should I read in the various Rift War series before I play Betrayal at Krondor?

You don't have to at all. The Krondor games are a little more difficult to jump into but The Witcher video game is basically a "what-if" series that assumes Geralt didn't actually die in the book.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Dungeons and Dungeons: The Dark Lord.

I've played about an hour and a half and am thoroughly unimpressed by how not Dungeon Keeper it is, is there anything I should know that makes persisting with them worthwhile?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gorilla Radio posted:

The first four books (Magician: Apprentice, Magician: Master, Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon) are still a good introduction to all the various characters and their relationships, though! My elementary school self highly recommends them (I hear they do not hold up at all but I will never find out because I want to preserve my memories).

That being said they also novelized Betrayal at Krondor. Then Feist dropped that series and started another one so I have no idea if the plot threads were ever resolved.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dragonrah posted:

Any tips on grinding Agent level 20 for it or any resources that'll help me?
You earn more stuff when your team wins. So you want to play with friends play a support class, like... well, support.

Gorilla Radio posted:

Read the first book for either one to figure out what the hell is going on with the settings. At that point you can continue or not based on how much you've enjoyed what you read.

Edit - Oh yeah, actual game tips for Betrayal at Krondor.

1. Casters can't cast when someone is next to them. This means that the "get over here" spell and the summons can really help during hard battles with enemy mages.

2. Evil Seek - a spell that deals more damage against evil enemies and bounces around - a full strength cast fucks up snake people, and those are some of the hardest enemies in the game when you first run into them.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 25, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gorilla Radio posted:

In both cases, it will help, in that there's a bunch of nonessential references that you'll now get and the whole setting and even some game mechanics will be familiar to you. That said, it's not at all necessary in either case; the manuals and the games themselves contain all the necessary information.

For Krondor specifically, Betrayal at Krondor is set between the Riftwar books (Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon) and the Serpentwar books (Noun of an Adjective Noun), so if you do want to read them, just the Riftwar books will tell you everything relevant. There is also a novelization (Krondor: the Betrayal) which was written after the game and will spoil the poo poo out of it, so don't read that.

General gameplay advice:
- There is a lot of important information in the manual.
- Always examine rations when you pick them up to make sure they aren't spoiled.
- Try not to let people fall in battle, it'll take days or weeks of medical attention to get them back on their feet.
- Your fighters need HP much more than your casters do; a lot of spells auto-succeed even if the caster is badly injured, whereas the penalties for injuries will render fighters completely helpless. In particular, don't be afraid to blow a lot of stamina/HP on Gift of Sung to keep your fighters alive.
- Debuffs and buffs are really good in this game. Starting out, Despair thy Eyes is your bread and butter spell and can keep 2-3 enemies completely locked down for the entire fight. Later on, you'll get items that let you flame, ice, or poison your weapons, and you can get them blessed at temples - do all of this. Melee fighters are there to kill things; casters are there to keep the fighters on their feet and the enemies off balance.
- Most chapters can be completed really quickly, but nearly the entire game world is open to you right from the start. Look around, explore, talk to people. Just save often in case you wander into something too tough for you to handle.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Chief Savage Man posted:

Research the medkit ASAP.

Put research on low speed, your brouzouf income likely won't keep pace with fast research costs.

Difficulty is very configurable, don't be afraid to screw around with it.

I also recommend obtaining the huge pistol as an all purpose sidearm for taking down tough armored targets.

Have fun, it's a great and unique game.

Mzbundifund posted:

Turrets can fire while you're carrying them, and can also block incoming bullets. You can go a long way by bringing a deployable friendly turret and just carrying it in front of you.

Thanks gents!!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fruits of the sea posted:

-Save often and keep numerous different saves. You never know when a quest bug might pop up and force you to re-do something.
-Underground, your best friend is a shotgun or rifle with underslung grenade launcher. That, and calm nerves.
-Get the Stalker Complete Mod. For the most part it just improves textures and adds some graphics features and it stays true to the original game's spirit. It also makes some much needed changes to the AI. They don't charge into anomalies and commit suicide, they can throw grenades and their calls for help don't reach as far. That last bit is key, because there are times when an entire map would aggro on you after a single shot.
It also has some optional gameplay features, like a sleeping bag and repair kits which are nice if you don't like making constant trips back to the cordon.
-Yes, all the starting guns suck. Plink away at your enemies from a distance. It's safest to fight in night-time, as the darkness lets you run away and flank the enemy repeatedly. This only works on humans though, god help you if a mutant catches you in the dark.

There are some other really interesting overhaul mods such as Oblivion Lost and L.U.R.K., but they change the gameplay quite a bit, and are probably best suited for a replay.

Thank you for that good info!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Anyone got anything for Titan Quest: Immortal Throne?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Anyone have tips for Unity of Command? I've poked at it a bit and it seems like it's not War In The East or anything but I've heard the AI is brutally hard and I haven't played that many war games.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I picked up a Marvel Ultimate Alliance/Forza 2 double pack at GameStop and it was the same price as just M:UA by itself. I didn't get some gimped version, did I? I'm assuming it's just due to the stupid way GS prices their games, but I wanna make sure.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I will be getting Sleeping Dogs, Civ V: Gods & Kings, and Spec Ops: The Line soon.

Any tips for these three? I've played regular Civ V enough to know how it works.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I picked up a Marvel Ultimate Alliance/Forza 2 double pack at GameStop and it was the same price as just M:UA by itself. I didn't get some gimped version, did I? I'm assuming it's just due to the stupid way GS prices their games, but I wanna make sure.

The normal version and with Forza version are the same but the Gold or Platinum version have on disk copies of the DLC characters and missions.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Ah, sweet. They didn't have any of the gold edition or platinum hits version, so I guess I got lucky.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I would also like some tips for Sleeping Dogs, since I just started playing it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sleeping Dogs

A huge ton of moves can be cancelled into a Counter. If you see someone flash red, even if you're in the middle of a punch, press Counter anyway and you'll probably be fine.

Your xp per mission is limited; you'll see red triangles fill up as you go through a mission (Triad XP, for brutal takedowns) and blue shields empty (Cop XP, for breaking poo poo). You can replay the mission from the social centre to try to earn a better score and thus more xp out of it.

When you get a girl's number, be sure to go out with her. Eelationships are just an extra side mission, and the end reward is getting to see one of the types of collectible on your world map.

Enemies come in four main types:
- Normal guys: Do whatever to them.
- Taller guys, often with boxing gloves: Love blocking. Grapples nearly always work.
- Fat guys: Don't try to grab them. They can't block worth a drat.
- Weapon guys: Don't try to grab them. Stuns work pretty well here?

The best moves I've found to get early on:
- Slim Jim is one of the first Cop upgrades, and lets you into any car, no alarms, no questions asked.
- Charge Knee Stun is one of the first Melee upgrades, and punches through blocks like paper. Right after getting it you can get a pretty great followup attack for it, too.

edit:

Contrary to what the game implies, you don't need to go back to your apartment after hacking every single camera. The other camera icons do disappear, but they'll return once you travel a little. Then you can go finish off several of them at once.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 19, 2012

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Centipeed posted:

I would also like some tips for Sleeping Dogs, since I just started playing it.

Sleeping Dogs:

There is no reason not to be buffed pretty much all the time; Food buffs health regeneration, Herbal tea buffs toughness, a massage buffs how fast your "face" bar rises, and energy drinks buff melee damage. They arent essential but they are all fairly cheap.

You are given guns in missions that require them, sometimes you'll keep the gun after the mission, but most of the time you'll be unarmed. If you want a gun you can disarm a cop when they are shooting at you (wanted level 2 or above I think).

After a woman gives you her phone number it'll be in your phone. Calling them will go on a date, when you get a reward then thats their missions finished.

Visit the gym (when it unlocks) for fight practice on each type of enemy. Big fat guys cant be grappled but never block strikes, some guys block strikes but are easy to grapple and so on. Doing this once can really help you get to grips with the combat and recognise enemy types.

When you unlock the flunky who delivers your a car, you can change what vehicle it is on the garage screen. Stolen cars dont get added to your garage, only cars you buy.

There are vendors who will sell you furniture for your apartments, they arent marked on the map and you have to find them in the city. The furniture has no in game effect but looks nice.

Environmental kills look good and immediately eliminate an opponent, so if you are being overwhelmed by numbers grab someone and push their face through an extractor fan.

The fastest way to escape a police chase is to destroy the cars chasing you either by running them off the road or by shooting at them.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Chief Savage Man posted:

Civ V: Gods & Kings

This four city tradition opener for G&K contains all the elements of a strong early game. It's taken me personally from a middling Emperor player to a competent Immortal player and has a bunch of recommendations from the SA thread. You don't have to follow it turn for turn but playing around with it should def. help build a strong game.

Some G&K dotpoints:
  • Holy cities always produce religious pressure (and are usually capitals so can't be razed)
  • Inquisitors in a city prevent its conversion by enemy missionaries
  • Pantheons should be used to enhance your start location. Planning to settle your first 3+ cities on the coast -> get god of the sea. Start in the desert -> get desert folklore and nab the first religion.
  • Religion properties are unique, the first guy to found a religion chooses from all, the next all minus the first guy's, etc.
  • The buildings are probably the best benefit when founding a religion
  • Petra is an amazing wonder. If you start in the desert rush it.
  • The thread is quite active and happy to answer specific questions.

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 20, 2012

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SiKboy posted:

The fastest way to escape a police chase is to destroy the cars chasing you either by running them off the road or by shooting at them.

To add to this: it's not explained right away until you need it in a mission, but in any car pressing the square button and a direction will make you do a short range, high damage ram. It takes maybe two to three hits to take out your average car entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Mister Adequate posted:

Anyone got anything for Titan Quest: Immortal Throne?

I highly recommend the Underlord Mod, which greatly increases the number of enemies and rebalances the masteries. You're likely to get your poo poo wrecked in the very beginning of the game just due to enemy numbers, but once you have equipment and a few skills you'll be more than capable of fighting back. It is admittedly a rough start, especially for fragile caster classes, but there's a lot less boredom in the rest of the game.