Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurplurp
Aug 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What gets better mileage: 87 octane unleaded, or the 89 octane ethanol-enriched stuff? I've been told that the ethanol-enriched is worse, but I wanted to make sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

lurplurp posted:

What gets better mileage: 87 octane unleaded, or the 89 octane ethanol-enriched stuff? I've been told that the ethanol-enriched is worse, but I wanted to make sure.

87 if your car says to use 87, 89 if your car says to use 89.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Cabalxx posted:

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with non audio/audible Alarm Clocks?

My Girlfriend is such a heavy sleeper that she has actually slept through an alarm beeping 54 times. I was sleeping in another room about 50 feet away and was awoken. I love her and don't want to murder her as she sets her alarm for a few hours before I wake up (Earlier work schedule) but I'm tired of my sleep pattern being messed with because she doesn't hear/register the sound.

The little bit of research I've done show's either bed shakers or light machines for an entire room. I had thought there was some sort of mask or something.

Anyhow, does anyone have a good source or any experience with this?

I just use my cell phone. I set the alarm, put it on vibrate, and put it under my pillow. It works like a charm.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
holy moly I must have amnesia posting the same poo poo twice like that.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 16, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gobbeldygook posted:

You have only three scientifically validated choices for beating it back.

A. Rogaine. You put something in your hair every day. You may get some regrowth but usually it just stalls you where you are. If you ever stop using it, your hair loss resumes.

B. Propecia. It is a pill you take every day but otherwise as per rogaine: If you stop, your hair loss resumes. May have sexual side effects.

C. Hair transplants. Incredibly expensive but probably permanent. It generally looks good. Some people opt to have a series of minor procedures over their life vs waiting for it to get bad and obvious.

I said gently caress all that and went for the shiny smooth head. It has its benefits.

I'm probably going to end up with Option C if I end up making that kind of money or going for the shiny smooth head alternative.

At least the silver lining is that I'll have the facial hair to go for the Breaking Bad route. :hellyeah:

Also, for ToxicFrog earlier: I probably should have been clearer in what I was saying; but yes, I know genetics do not work on video game logic. Don't need to be a douche about it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

OrangeGuy posted:

Wait, so you're saying I'd have to do this every single day indefinitely otherwise it will just go back to zero?

That kind of sucks. :(

Also, would anxiety or recessive genes have anything to do with early hair loss? I wouldn't be surprised if the combination of stress from four years of college plus additional anxiety and depression (being treated now) dealt a blow to my scalp.
No it doesn't just all fall out if you miss a day, but after month or two it'll go back to however it was before you used it. And it's twice a day, but not really a big deal. People spend more time (and money) putting in hair styling gels or mousse or whatever. I had a thin spot about the size of a silver dollar and after a few weeks of rogqining it filled right in. I sometimes forget or don't bother and it's still good, but I'm sure to use it 5-6 days a week minimum. Just takes a tiny bit and 30 seconds, you don't have to massage it I or anything.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

lurplurp posted:

The octane level is irrelevant unless your car calls for a specific grade, but you will see lower mileage out of ethanol-enriched fuel.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

OrangeGuy posted:

Wait, so you're saying I'd have to do this every single day indefinitely otherwise it will just go back to zero?

That kind of sucks. :(

Also, would anxiety or recessive genes have anything to do with early hair loss? I wouldn't be surprised if the combination of stress from four years of college plus additional anxiety and depression (being treated now) dealt a blow to my scalp.

Here's some nice before and after pictures FYI:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/patient-photos/

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Wow, those results are fairly dramatic.

I'll keep it in mind, in any case. I appreciate all of the help. :)

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Cabalxx posted:

My Girlfriend is such a heavy sleeper that she has actually slept through an alarm beeping 54 times. I was sleeping in another room about 50 feet away and was awoken. I love her and don't want to murder her as she sets her alarm for a few hours before I wake up (Earlier work schedule) but I'm tired of my sleep pattern being messed with because she doesn't hear/register the sound.

The little bit of research I've done show's either bed shakers or light machines for an entire room. I had thought there was some sort of mask or something.

Anyhow, does anyone have a good source or any experience with this?

+ + (Vibration motor)

Or

+ +

Or

+ + + + (Conductive cloth tape)

Or

+ (LED spotlight aimed at just her)

Or

+

Or

+ +

Really, just start with the appliance timer and go from there.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Huntersoninski posted:

I've also heard castor oil is good for thickening hair back up to an extent. However: possibly not true.

A question: I'm entering a small local short film contest that projects the finalists onto a big screen in one of the town's theaters.

The films are home made and so aren't done with big budget cameras and are frequently standard definition, and are submitted via the internet so they're .avi/.mov/.wmv/whatever files.

Projecting these onto a big screen darkens them like crazy. Some of the films (those set in darker environments) are unwatchable because of this.

Can anyone tell me/link me to a tutorial for any filters/setting adjustments I can use to prevent this darkening beyond just upping the brightness and washing everything out? I've done a search but my google-foo is weak. Any help is appreciated. If it helps, I'm using adobe premiere.

Thanks!

RGB Curves or 3-way Color Corrector filters in Premiere might be able to let you brighten it/bump the gamma and crunch your blacks back down so it's not washed out. (If you can get early access to the theater, export a couple different attempts and test them on the projector first, so you can see what works and what doesn't and go readjust accordingly.) Probably won't look great, especially if you're using an older camera since it'll bring out the noise, but at least it won't be completely dark.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Most people aren't that bad with sleep -- has she done a sleep study before? Maybe she has sleep apnea or something.

Or maybe she has an earwax buildup.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

CaptainViolence posted:

RGB Curves or 3-way Color Corrector filters in Premiere might be able to let you brighten it/bump the gamma and crunch your blacks back down so it's not washed out. (If you can get early access to the theater, export a couple different attempts and test them on the projector first, so you can see what works and what doesn't and go readjust accordingly.) Probably won't look great, especially if you're using an older camera since it'll bring out the noise, but at least it won't be completely dark.

Thanks! I sadly don't have access to the theater, but any brightness will set us apart (assuming we are the only ones learning from last year anyway). I expect 3-way color and me finally shelling out for a decent noise reducing filter is my best bet.

At any rate we can't be worse off than the poor sap who set his story in a basement with a plot point of getting locked in a dark box, or as I like to call it "stare at a black screen and hear some sound effects for four minutes"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cabalxx posted:

Google around for alarm clocks for the deaf. You strap it to your ankle or something and it starts shaking at the set time.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Huntersoninski posted:

"stare at a black screen and hear some sound effects for four minutes"

As a film student, I've seen more than my fair share of these. :(

Anyway, good luck!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This guy made a bed/alarm clock combo with linear actuators that literally tips you out of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XneXIxEEqnY

Let me know if you're interested I can get you a deal on the actuators.

Cabalxx
Feb 27, 2009

Noni posted:

+ + (Vibration motor)

Or

+ +

Or

+ + + + (Conductive cloth tape)

Or

+ (LED spotlight aimed at just her)

Or

+

Or

+ +

Really, just start with the appliance timer and go from there.

This made me laugh out loud and is a great Idea....I'm torn between bacon and the vibrator....

^^^^ I'll check into the Clocks for the Deaf (I'd done a small amount of that so far) I'll look into the idea of tipping her out of bed every morning....Ball park estimate on Actuator costs per piece?

Cabalxx fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 16, 2012

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
If I buy a box of donuts at around 3pm, will they be stale by the next morning?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Cabalxx posted:

This made me laugh out loud and is a great Idea....I'm torn between bacon and the vibrator....

^^^^ I'll check into the Clocks for the Deaf (I'd done a small amount of that so far) I'll look into the idea of tipping her out of bed every morning....Ball park estimate on Actuator costs per piece?

Heh, the actuator thing is kind of a joke, it's total overkill for the project and probably the most expensive solution other than hiring a servant to get up at a certain time to throw water at you (hmm, robot water thrower?). I think that guy actually used an Arduino setup to control them so that would cost extra, though if you're electrical savvy you'd just need an on/off signaler triggered by an alarm. Assuming your girlfriend weighs less than 200 lbs and a stroke length of 24" travel direction it'd probably go about $135/actuator, and you'd probably want to use 2 of them. That guy has a tiny twin bed too, so you'd have to add girlfriend weight + possibly yourself weight + mattress/boxspring weight. You'd also have to add in some kind baseboard that the actuator pushes against and the bracket mount under the bed. Something like this I guess

http://www.actuatorzone.com/actuator-linear-actuator-pa-02-24-200-24-inch-stroke-200-lbs-force-actuator.aspx

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

reflex posted:

it depends on what kind, fully glazed donuts will I stale slower than ones just covered in powdered sugar. Even then, they probably won't be too stale to eat.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

reflex posted:

Depends on where they're from, too. If they're from a Dunkin Donuts/coffee shop/local-scuzzy-donut-place, then they'll probably not last all too long. Generally they're delivered to the store late night before (maybe around ~11p or so), then by the time they're brought out in the morning for the day they've already been around for a bunch of hours. So to add another full cycle to it? They may very well be.

Of course, depends on the donut itself, where it's from (if they bake them on site, then it'll last longer, even if they bake them all in one go during the night), etc.

I'm a little impressed and a little disgusted with how thoroughly I feel I know this topic.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

What's the difference between a dock, a pier, and a wharf? I've looked them up in a dictionary, but found it hard to visualize as a non-native speaker. GIS also seems to think they are the same thing.

UnfurledSails fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 16, 2012

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
The donuts are made in the back kitchen. Non-chain. I'm going to pick up a box on my way back into town Sunday for my work chums on Monday morning.:allears:

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

UnfurledSails posted:

What's the difference between a dock, a pier, and a wharf? I've looked them up in a dictionary, but found it hard to visualize as a non-native speaker. GIS also seems to think they are the same thing.

A pier is the structure built out onto the water on which a boat is docked. A wharf is the same thing.

A dock can mean the same thing as a pier, as well as multiple piers, the water surrounding a pier, or just the general area where boats are kept.

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick

UnfurledSails posted:

Docks: theres different types but the ones I've been around most are floating docks which are used to walk onto your boat (usually small personal boats)

Pier: Raised walkways that go out over the water. They can be huge or small ones that are used to access docks. I don't really know of a functional "purpose" other than sometimes having a dock at the end of them to tie up boats to, other than that they are just nice to walk on, fish off, etc

Wharf: fixed platforms used for loading and unloading cargo off bigger ships.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

What I'm thinking about is a place where trade ships come and unload containers and stuff. Is that called a wharf, then? Does the sentence "Please head to the wharf" make sense in this context?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

UnfurledSails posted:

What I'm thinking about is a place where trade ships come and unload containers and stuff. Is that called a wharf, then? Does the sentence "Please head to the wharf" make sense in this context?

I think of "wharf" as a general designation for the zoning of that particular area. Kind of like "downtown" generally refers to a business/financial district.

The entire, all-encompassing area serving ocean shipping may be called the Port. A smaller subsection of a Port would be the Docks. A smaller subsection of the Docks are the Piers.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 16, 2012

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

spog posted:

Has anyone taken a DiSC profile test?

How did it work and did you feel you could control the outcome?

Everybody at my job took one a few years back then we had a group meeting with the DiSC representative to talk about the results. It seemed pretty accurate, but they tend to put a positive spin on every character trait. For example, instead of saying "This person makes uninformed decisions", they will phrase it like, "This person is ambitious and doesn't require a lot of input to make decisions". On the flipside, they don't say, "This person is indecisive and never gets anything done". They say, "This person likes to gather information and have a complete understanding of a situation before putting a plan into action".

I'm not sure what you mean by controlling the outcome. I just tried to be objective in my self assessment and answer honestly. I think that is the best way to do it as it will allow you to get a better understanding of yourself and also understand your relations with your co-workers.

If you're concerned about controlling the outcome because you are court ordered to take a DiSC assessment as part of psychiatric evaluation or something, I still think it would be best to honestly answer the questions. Due to the positive spin on everything, there is no right nor wrong personality type. It's just a tool to help you better understand yourself.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Got a box of small figurines that look like they are made out of charcoal. This is the only writing on the box, what does it say?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It looks like loving gibberish to me, but I really suck at seal script so that doesn't mean much.

Take it to the Chinese thread in SAL?

(You also took it from an annoying angle so people have to crick their necks.)

God knows country open whatever

If you made me guess, from it being in seal script and four characters, I'd say it's a poem in Classical, which means that even knowing what it says wouldn't help.

Consult the Chinese thread!

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Xiahou Dun posted:

It looks like loving gibberish to me, but I really suck at seal script so that doesn't mean much.

Take it to the Chinese thread in SAL?

(You also took it from an annoying angle so people have to crick their necks.)

God knows country open whatever

If you made me guess, from it being in seal script and four characters, I'd say it's a poem in Classical, which means that even knowing what it says wouldn't help.

Consult the Chinese thread!

I wasn't sure it was Chinese, now that I know I'll check with them. Which side is up? I'm going to rotate it before reposting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The right side is up.

(I think. Seal script is loving annoying.)

I think the first character might be "ghost"?

Seal script is dumb.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Second is definitely country (國). Third MAY be 齋?

(Japanese speaker here, not Chinese.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

poo poo definitely looks like a gate radical.

Maybe.

That's why I thought it was 開.

But I wouldn't run off of Japanese because they use that pseudo-simplified thing.

Hey, wait, isn't it even 国 in Japanese? I'm pretty rusty, but that's what I thought they used.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Yeah, I thought it looked like a gate radical, but then there's that bottom poo poo and it's classical so I was like... well, maybe it's something off in left field!

Japanese uses simplified 国, but the old 國 is still visible in some things -- notably Kinokuniya (紀伊國屋) and some family names (國見).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O, cool, you learn something every day.

Does it have the same yomi, or does it get special ones?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Same ones, as far as I know.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I'm starting a new job on Monday, and I have to be bonded to work there (financial institution in Canada). I have no criminal record or sketchy past or anything, but I'm nervous that they won't like me for whatever reason, they won't issue a bond, and I'll be out of the job immediately.

Am I being completely crazy and paranoid? Do these bonding agencies reject people for no reason, or are you pretty safe if you're a decent boring guy?

White1ce
Jul 31, 2003
IT IS YOUR CIVIC DUTY AS AN SA FORUMS MEMBER TO RUIN ALL OF THE THREADS I POST. IF I EVER POST A THREAD, TROLL IT!!!
Just found two of these in my house. Someone please tell me this isn't a brown recluse!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

White1ce posted:

Just found two of these in my house. Someone please tell me this isn't a brown recluse!!!

I would take this to Critter Quest.