Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
Jesus this GAME! I feel so sorry for Arino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

redmercer posted:

I thought I'd wait until more people had seen it to ask this -- but I hope that this doesn't depict what I think it might.

Black E.T.?

Meep
Oct 7, 2000

redmercer posted:

I thought I'd wait until more people had seen it to ask this -- but I hope that this doesn't depict what I think it might.

Also "To Catch A Catch Line" is one of the best segments on this show
Haha, yeah I'm pretty sure it depicts exactly what you think considering it's in Africa and all. Japan isn't exactly the most racially sensitive of countries, especially not 24 years ago.

I totally guessed the 2nd answer in To Catch A Catch Line.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Is there a current place with all the latest torrents/links for episodes? A bunch on the OP are out of date, and I was wondering if there were any links to complete seasons (as far as they've been subbed) so far.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

redmercer posted:

Also "To Catch A Catch Line" is one of the best segments on this show

Oh god. My friend and I were watching it going, "What the hell are those ants or something?" And now I'm just... :psyduck:

And yeah Catch Line is a great segment. I love stuff with a lot of crew interaction.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
That was another great episode even though I've already seen the raw a long time ago, so I forgot how it ended and how bizarre this game is. Thank you again, SAGCCX! :)

The best part of the episode had to be Kan poking his head in and saying that he heard Arino "did something again" after Arino accidentally hit quit on the game over screen. It just seems so in-character from what we've seen and heard of Kan as a producer.

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Did that game seriously have gangs of black people attacking you in the desert levels?

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH

Splash Damage posted:

Did that game seriously have gangs of black people attacking you in the desert levels?

Yep.

I like how no one mentions them in the episode. Not ever.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

ShadeofDante posted:

Is there a current place with all the latest torrents/links for episodes? A bunch on the OP are out of date, and I was wondering if there were any links to complete seasons (as far as they've been subbed) so far.
The tracker's front page is sorted by date uploaded if that helps: http://alluvion.org/index.php

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Corridor posted:

Oh god. My friend and I were watching it going, "What the hell are those ants or something?" And now I'm just... :psyduck:

They definitely look like ants to me - the recording is pretty blurry, but I'm fairly sure they've got three legs on each side. Black people tend not to have those. They're giant ants, of course, but this game also has birds the size of jetfighters that drop boulders and highly corrosive, car-devouring poop onto the track, too.

It's just hard to tell because the art (and everything else) in the game is so uniformly lovely.

Edit: You can actually see how they draw black people at 42:38 - the crowds at the side. It's still very lovely looking, but in a non-offensive, 'we just can't draw people, period' sorta way.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 17, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those actually ARE ants. The "legs" are antennae and you can clearly see six actual legs on the sides.

Taratang posted:

The tracker's front page is sorted by date uploaded if that helps: http://alluvion.org/index.php

I like how Alluvion is at least 80% GCCX now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 17, 2012

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Awesome, I have been excited for this episode! You all get releases out so quickly and with such consistent high quality. Thanks so much as always.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Huh, weird. I downloaded the episode and there's no image at all, just sound, even when I use different media players (I have quite a lot of different ones). Even VLC isn't playing it right. Maaaaaaaan.

edit: Playing fine after a reboot. Super excited! I know just how batshit insane this game is so I can't wait for Arino's meltdown.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 17, 2012

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012
I just laughed when Arino said that he'd probably breeze through it because it was a NES game, although that may have been the joke.

Even back then, I generally assumed that I would never, ever actually finish any given NES game. I'm glad that my dad didn't actually hold me to the requirement that I actually finish my games before getting new ones, because my first NES games besides Super Mario/Duck Hunt were Q*Bert and Adventure Island.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
It says more about the lot of you than them when in a game with giant hostile wildlife all over the place, you see some giant bugs and think "oh black people! :downs:" Especially when you've just witnessed the greatest game ever made. I don't think there's any other episode that had me laughing as much as this one.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
This is the reason why I watch GCCX. Some amazing game I've never heard of and funny behind the camera drama. Great job guys.

Is it possible to mail order an Inoko MAX T-shirt? I kinda want one now. Also "To Catch a Catch Copy" is one of my favourite segments.I would never have guessed that was the copy for Super Mario Bros.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

kimpira posted:

I just laughed when Arino said that he'd probably breeze through it because it was a NES game, although that may have been the joke.

It's kind of a running joke, he says this like half the time. "I'll be out of here by lunchtime! :haw:"

Bocc Kob posted:

It says more about the lot of you than them when in a game with giant hostile wildlife all over the place, you see some giant bugs and think "oh black people! :downs:"

Still looks like little dudes to me. Remember that Japan is a country where there are black comedians whose sole schtick is that they are black. And this was made like a quarter century ago.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

They're ants dude.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

(Clarification and comparison of bug graphics versus people graphics in the game)

ETA: (Better screenshot)

I'm 200% sure they're ants -- while Japanese depictions of African tribes aren't exactly PC, they don't make them look like little bogeymen with tiny stick legs and no facial features. The standard racially insensitive depiction is big white lips and grass skirt.

^ One of the endings from Child-Rearing Quiz My Angel, which Arino doesn't get unfortunately.

^ Bibinba, long-forgotten Sanrio characters I remember from when I was a kid. I bet the company wants to sweep them under the rug now.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 17, 2012

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

zari-gani posted:

They're very clearly ants now, but I admit I was a little taken aback when I saw them in the episode. I think part of the reason is that I've played a few racist romhacks (including one which was a romhack parody) and they typically represent black people with little crudely-drawn stick figures. So it was probably just a subconscious thing.

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*
Great episode. What a tense moment when they confirmed it was actually correct.

Also you guys are way too sensitive, even if those ants actually were people.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lmbo at Kan peeking in with his "What did you do?!". Behind the scenes shenanigans are always great.

Thanks for the episode! Man, what a stupid game. A 'racing' game with platforming, wow.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

geri_khan posted:

Also "To Catch a Catch Copy" is one of my favourite segments.I would never have guessed that was the copy for Super Mario Bros.

The narrator's cutting responses are what make it for me. It's like she watches all the Tamage footage and finally gets a chance to scold Arino in person. Her straight-faced delivery is what really sells it. :v:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Bocc Kob posted:

The narrator's cutting responses are what make it for me. It's like she watches all the Tamage footage and finally gets a chance to scold Arino in person. Her straight-faced delivery is what really sells it. :v:

I think the lack of expression from her and Kibe makes it extra nerve-wracking for the players when they explain their case. Especially Nakayama -- dude looks terrified the first time he answers. His hand is shaking.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Speaking of torrents, what happened to the season format? Episodes now come in just as files when there was a period of time when whoever made the torrents always placed the episode in a folder named "Season #". That way you could just dump the torrents in one GCCX folder and have everything go in appropriate folders. Not to mention you could (I think?) upload the torrent whenever there's a full season or at least create a new torrent easily if the naming/foldering convention is uniform.

It's not too big of a problem to just look up quickly from OP what season an episode belongs to but I still think it was a very good idea to just create torrents like "Season 13/Game Center CX 107 - Paris Dakar Rally.avi".

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Personally I prefer it just being the file for individual episodes, because XBMC is bloody infuriatingly specific about how file/folder structure should look sometimes. Not a big deal either way, mind, just individual un-foldered files works out better for me. v:shobon:v

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Are we really going to complain about something you can fix yourself with a Google search and copy/paste when we're already getting free subtitle work at a ridiculous pace?

Thanks again for all of your hard work, guys. :unsmith:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

jyrque posted:

It's not too big of a problem to just look up quickly from OP what season an episode belongs to but I still think it was a very good idea to just create torrents like "Season 13/Game Center CX 107 - Paris Dakar Rally.avi".

Just a heads up it's season 14 man!

(I know because I just organized my whollllllleeee GCCX folder into seasons)

So i could watch the ring-ring tactics arc beginning to end.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ring Ring Tactics was kind of spoiled for me when the very first GCCX episode I ever watched was the last episode of RRT. I could just never really get into it after that and often skip over it, or go to make a sandwich or something.

I honestly don't mind either way of distribution but I actually kind of prefer freestanding files. I sort my folder by date modified.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I thought I threw Paris Dakar into a Season# folder in the torrent. Guess I messed that up. Oops

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Paris-Dakar Rally is a work of art and if this episode had a good Tamage segment it might just have been the quintessential GCCX episode.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

superh posted:

Just a heads up it's season 14 man!

I know, right! See how bad it is?!

Really, I don't mind the episodes not correctly foldered in torrent, it's just a nice touch. Besides, I sort of remember there being a discussion earlier in this thread or the previous thread about how this procedure would help to eventually collecting the episodes into season torrents.

Enough spergin', though. Thank you for Paris Dakar Rally Special, it became my favorite episode ever. That whole game is monkey crack insane.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

zari-gani posted:

(Clarification and comparison of bug graphics versus people graphics in the game)

I'm 200% sure they're ants -- while Japanese depictions of African tribes aren't exactly PC, they don't make them look like little bogeymen with tiny stick legs and no facial features. The standard racially insensitive depiction is big white lips and grass skirt.

^ One of the endings from Child-Rearing Quiz My Angel, which Arino doesn't get unfortunately.

^ Bibinba, long-forgotten Sanrio characters I remember from when I was a kid. I bet the company wants to sweep them under the rug now.

Even today it still happens. This is from King of Fighters 13:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I'm not convinced those are supposed to be humans. :psyduck:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Those remind me of Baloo more than anything.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Even today it still happens. This is from King of Fighters 13:

http://japansociology.com/2011/08/21/blackface-is-back-if-it-ever-left/

Don't forget about Ufu and Mufu.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
"To Catch a Catch Copy" is a very fun segment, definitely hoping to see more season 14 soon so I can catch more of it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Unfortunately Season 14 houses the infamously dreadful Ocarina of Time two-parter.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
The raw of Ocarina of Time put me to sleep. Much like the game itself did! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

geri_khan posted:

I would never have guessed that was the copy for Super Mario Bros.

That was the only one I might have guessed given enough time to think about it. The rest were just totally vague, to the point where they could apply to pretty much any game ever made.