Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

haljordan posted:

Also, I remember thinking in the episode where Tony & Paulie meet with those Armenian(?) guys to set up the power tool operation why Tony would offer him a truck load of pool toys and poo poo. I was like "What the hell kind of money maker is that?" Then I realized, when you're stealing everything to begin with, you can sell it at any kind of discount and its still pure profit.

They touched on this in Season 2 with the Scatino bust out. Richie was talking about the coolers and how easy they were to sell because your average person really had no idea how much they sell for and would be more apt to just buy one off the street on a whim.

This also goes along with the theory that that mob doesn't want to attract any attention. If they stand out on the corner selling gold watches, someone is going to get suspicious. No one thinks twice if someone is selling coolers. This is also why the garbage business was good to them. The only thing people worry about with garbage is getting it to the curb before 7am.

The cops and feds will always look at something larger, sexier if you will, so that they can look good to their bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Bonzo posted:

They touched on this in Season 2 with the Scatino bust out. Richie was talking about the coolers and how easy they were to sell because your average person really had no idea how much they sell for and would be more apt to just buy one off the street on a whim.

This also goes along with the theory that that mob doesn't want to attract any attention. If they stand out on the corner selling gold watches, someone is going to get suspicious. No one thinks twice if someone is selling coolers. This is also why the garbage business was good to them. The only thing people worry about with garbage is getting it to the curb before 7am.

The cops and feds will always look at something larger, sexier if you will, so that they can look good to their bosses.

Yeah I mean which kind of crime ring would operate longer: one that knocked over high-end jewelry stores or one that worked behind the scenes, taxing businesses like garbage collection (who take it as a cost of doing business and know to keep their mouths shut)?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

haljordan posted:

Yeah but I think unless you're one of the top guys in the organization, you're kicking up a huge majority of the money. The lower level guys do it Henry Hill style (as mentioned above) and just go out and rob when they need money.

Sure, but Tony is a top guy, I guess he's only kicking up to the head of the NY families. Carmine/Johnny Sack/Leotardo, whoever else is running it.

They're all cheap as hell, especially Paulie - he's even shown cutting out coupons in the episode where they robbed the Dominicans and got a boatload of cash, even after splitting with Vito and kicking up to Carmela.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Can someone speculate exactly how the Mob is using garbage as a profit earner?

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Dead Snoopy posted:

I always thought it was just a protection racket.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dead Snoopy posted:

They go to the waste haulers and say "Give us x amount of dollars a month to run your trucks on 'our streets' or we will set your trucks on fire and/or kick the poo poo out of you." In slightly different terms, of course.

Or, in the words of Ralphie, you wanna question a New Jersey business practice that goes back 70 years?!

haljordan fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 17, 2012

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I notice the younger guys are too good to use it as a cover job, especially after the cush way they hang out at construction job sites.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
THey also use them as no show jobs.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

It's garbage. Not exactly the type of business just anyone is going to go into because it's very blue collar. It's also very easy to extort someone over because, as you saw in the episode where they dump a week's worth of poo poo onto a restaurant parking lot, no one wants to keep it around.

Plus you can use it for other things. Jr. had a coke ring going with drivers selling along the routes. I'm sure you could use those trucks to also smuggle a number of things.

You can control unions and get bribes from city officials on a number of things. Then there is the legit stuff like fees for dumping different kinds of waste in the name of being "environmentally friendly" and tax breaks.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Bonzo posted:

It's garbage. Not exactly the type of business just anyone is going to go into because it's very blue collar. It's also very easy to extort someone over because, as you saw in the episode where they dump a week's worth of poo poo onto a restaurant parking lot, no one wants to keep it around.

Plus you can use it for other things. Jr. had a coke ring going with drivers selling along the routes. I'm sure you could use those trucks to also smuggle a number of things.

You can control unions and get bribes from city officials on a number of things. Then there is the legit stuff like fees for dumping different kinds of waste in the name of being "environmentally friendly" and tax breaks.

Jr. and Richie running coke on the garbage routes led to one of my favorite "Tony going Alpha Dog on someone" moments of the whole series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81eO_-axzDI

"I loving hate the way you make me loving ride you."

To me, that's more violent than Tony just beating the poo poo out of him with a bat.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 17, 2012

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Carthag posted:

Sure, but Tony is a top guy, I guess he's only kicking up to the head of the NY families. Carmine/Johnny Sack/Leotardo, whoever else is running it.

They're all cheap as hell, especially Paulie - he's even shown cutting out coupons in the episode where they robbed the Dominicans and got a boatload of cash, even after splitting with Vito and kicking up to Carmela.

Tony doesn't kick up at all, since the Di Medea family (I think that's the name of the family, as Jackie Sr. was himself an "acting" boss for a guy understood to be permanently out of the picture) is independent from the NY families. However, it's a smaller operation than the NY families, hence it's deprecating reputation as a "glorified crew.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Warszawa posted:

Tony doesn't kick up at all, since the Di Medea family (I think that's the name of the family, as Jackie Sr. was himself an "acting" boss for a guy understood to be permanently out of the picture) is independent from the NY families. However, it's a smaller operation than the NY families, hence it's deprecating reputation as a "glorified crew.

I think he does kick up some since they are sort of under their protection and share some common intrests.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

It was originally the DiMeo family yeah, although I think they did "officially" change the name later on, I'm not entirely sure how that works. Tony didn't kick up exactly, but they did share some things, that was where the beef about the housing development came from, because Tony was using their shared appraiser to make money just for himself (and Ralph I guess) without kicking any up to Carmine.

kippa fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 17, 2012

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I think that as long as Tony allows the NY crew to use some of his resources he gets a pass. Other than that the crew could just step in and take over Jersey any time they wanted.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Bonzo posted:

I think that as long as Tony allows the NY crew to use some of his resources he gets a pass. Other than that the crew could just step in and take over Jersey any time they wanted.

Like when he and Phil had the vitamins.

"Truckload of Centrums? That's a fuckin' score!"

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Carthag posted:

I thought they were more like partners, I don't think Tony was ever shown kicking up to anybody.

haljordan posted:

Jr. and Richie running coke on the garbage routes led to one of my favorite "Tony going Alpha Dog on someone" moments of the whole series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81eO_-axzDI

"I loving hate the way you make me loving ride you."

To me, that's more violent than Tony just beating the poo poo out of him with a bat.

These moments are the best in the series. Tony Soprano is just such a monster and really, anyone can just beat up someone, that doesn't make him scary. Moments like these show how he can keep all these violent murderers in line - he's worse then any of them.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

I thought they were more like partners, I don't think Tony was ever shown kicking up to anybody.

He may not have been kicking up but they had rank. This is evident by the way Johnny Sack reacted to the "100lb mole" joke.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

These moments are the best in the series. Tony Soprano is just such a monster and really, anyone can just beat up someone, that doesn't make him scary. Moments like these show how he can keep all these violent murderers in line - he's worse then any of them.

Plus that scene features the greatest song in the history of music: Boston's "More Than A Feeling"!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah Tony doesn't kick up the way his captains do to him, but he essentially kicks up respect and partnership in several of his business deals. Basically making sure New York profits just enough from his family's existence that it's not worth the trouble to decapitate and absorb New Jersey.

I can't believe how badly Phil's crew botched their takedown of the Sopranos in the penultimate episode. How the hell does "We're gonna whack Tony" bounce from Phil to the informant to the FBI to Agent Harris to Tony before they actually put a bullet in him?

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 17, 2012

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah Tony doesn't kick up the way his captains do to him, but he essentially kicks up respect and partnership in several of his business deals. Basically making sure New York profits just enough from his family's existence that it's not worth the trouble to decapitate and absorb New Jersey.

I can't believe how badly Phil's crew botched their takedown of the Sopranos in the penultimate episode. How the hell does "We're gonna whack Tony" bounce from Phil to the informant to the FBI to Agent Harris to Tony before they actually put a bullet in him?

As a mastermind of all things Mafia-related, I think Phil's crew hosed up by going after Tony's crew first. He obviously knew they were coming after him when he went right into hiding. So, even before the FBI confirmed it, it was the expected move.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

haljordan posted:

As a mastermind of all things Mafia-related, I think Phil's crew hosed up by going after Tony's crew first. He obviously knew they were coming after him when he went right into hiding. So, even before the FBI confirmed it, it was the expected move.

Which "he" are you talking about going into hiding? Tony hears from Agent Harris that the wheels are in motion, makes the botched hit with the guys from Italy (Phil apparently having already gone into hiding), then Bobby and Sil are hit, then Tony goes into hiding.

Not to get all Tactical Realism but Tony had time to fly guys in from Italy(!) to try to hit Phil first, before any action was taken by New York. They do say that they thought Tony would be with Sil at the bing, but still, you gotta make sure you get Tony first. New York didn't deserve to win.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Which "he" are you talking about going into hiding? Phil goes into hiding ASAP. Tony hears from Agent Harris that the wheels are in motion, makes the botched hit with the guys from Italy, then Bobby and Sil are hit, then Tony goes into hiding.

Not to get all Tactical Realism but Tony had time to fly guys in from Italy(!) to try to hit Phil first, before any action was taken. They do say that they thought Tony would be with Sil at the bing, but still. New York didn't deserve to win.

Ahh I had the timeline screwed up, you're right. Its strange, because every other murder in the series was carried out with such precision (well, almost every other one). Usually, its "Hey, we gotta go to this guy's house!" or "Hey, help me move some poo poo out of the garage" and whammo.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

By the end of the series there are quite a bit of loose lips around. I would not doubt that quite a few low end guys were wired or other wise informants and knew the hits where coming.

Plus you had all the anti terrorist poo poo going on so I don't doubt that you had wire taps and such in place since a lot of the lower ranks of the mob will deal in weapons.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

DarkCrawler posted:

And his anger just radiates out from him so effectively, I can feel myself gritting my teeth as he starts laying into Richie.

Goddamn I miss this show.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I would love if HBO did a Sopranos prequel series. Seeing Uncle Jun, Jonny Boy, Bobby's dad, and others doing mob stuff in the 50s and 60s would be awesome. Or you could even have it based in the 80s and see the start of Tony's rise up the ranks, his year in college, starting a relationship with Carm, running around with Tony B...it's pretty endless with the amount of back story they've already placed in the show.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 21, 2012

machinegunmessiah
Jul 16, 2012

Bonzo posted:

I would love if HBO did a Sopranos prequel series. Seeing Uncle Jun, Jonny Boy, Bobby's dad, and others doing mob stuff in the 50s and 60s would be awesome. Or you could even have it based in the 80s and see the start of Tony's rise up the ranks, his year in college, starting a relationship with Carm, running around with Tony B...it's pretty endless with the amount of back story they've already placed in the show.
You'd have to wait about 20 to 30 years for the 80s to become cool again, like the 60s did.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
You guys excited about this?

http://www.indiewire.com/article/television/the-cast-of-the-sopranos-will-reunite-for-a-nickelodeon-tv-movie
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2312862/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Bobby writing a kids book doesn't surprise me in the least

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Here's a fun skit with Bobby, if you haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yENmufztolo

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Looking forward to this one, starring James Gandolfini and some other guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDyaNnrgdp4

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Here's a random thing I've been thinking about lately, do you reckon the cop Tony had Chris kill actually killed Chris' dad?

I always took it at face value before, but he did genuinely seem to have no idea what Chris was on about when he confronted him about it before he killed him and surely if Dickie had been such a mentor/big brother figure to Tony he'd have wanted to avenge him a long time ago?
I know at the time Tony was trying to make sure Chris was totally loyal to him, so could it just have been a random cop Tony wanted rid of, and a ploy to try and strengthen their bond? That seems like a massive dick move, even by Tonys standards, but I wouldn't put it past him either.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

On the speculation of whether or not Tony dies in the last episode, I have always thought a very significant clue lies in the scene in which Tony is negotiating with the New York people in that freezing warehouse. There's this mechanical noise throughout the scene, and then there's an abrupt cut and the sound cuts out when Tony asks for a hefty tax from New York. Previously in the show, people have been known to get murdered when someone doesn't want to pay for something and I think that tax sealed it for Tony. The gruesome way Phil died would also give New York a reason to get rid of him.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

kippa posted:

Here's a random thing I've been thinking about lately, do you reckon the cop Tony had Chris kill actually killed Chris' dad?

I always took it at face value before, but he did genuinely seem to have no idea what Chris was on about when he confronted him about it before he killed him and surely if Dickie had been such a mentor/big brother figure to Tony he'd have wanted to avenge him a long time ago?
I know at the time Tony was trying to make sure Chris was totally loyal to him, so could it just have been a random cop Tony wanted rid of, and a ploy to try and strengthen their bond? That seems like a massive dick move, even by Tonys standards, but I wouldn't put it past him either.

Hell, even Chris asks this question. He tells the guy (and I'm paraphrasing) "I don't even know if you really killed my dad but it doesn't matter because Tony wants you dead."

I'm going to say it's a good bet that guy didn't really kill Dickie.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Joe Don Baker posted:

I'm going to say it's a good bet that guy didn't really kill Dickie.
And then Chris talks himself into being sure of it later in the series. Even looks at the act with gratitude towards Tony for it.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

kenny powerzzz posted:

And then Chris talks himself into being sure of it later in the series. Even looks at the act with gratitude towards Tony for it.

Yeah he kinda told Adrianna about it, no specifics but "something that was ruining my life and he made it right". I probably should have realised before that he wasn't the guy, but that seems like a gigantic dick move for someone Tony claims to love.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Doesn't seem that it fits in with the Sopranos storytelling, to be so cryptic and ambiguous, excluding the end scene of course. I think Tony was telling the truth, for once.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

kippa posted:

Chris drops his father's name without context and the cop's face reacts with total panic, so if he didn't do it he at least was lying about knowing nothing of the hit. Plus his last words are something like I'M SORRY. I realise there is a chance he was trying to appease Chris without having done the deed himself, but personally I think the guy was guilty. Although, as commented in and on the episode, it hardly matters.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Yeah I'm pretty sure that Chris really did kill the guy who killed his father.

For me, the best part of that episode is actually the scene with Tony and Bobby in the diner. Bobby orders this giant steak and Tony orders some mozzarella and tomato slices. The look of longing he gives to Bobby's steak always cracks me up.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That's the Nostradamus/Quasimodo, hunchback/halfback of Notre Dame conversation isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

A Violence Gang posted:

That's the Nostradamus/Quasimodo, hunchback/halfback of Notre Dame conversation isn't it?

Yep.

Great scene.

And I forgot how hungry the Sopranos always made me. I remember someone posting a recipe for amazing ziti (Ishamael?) and I spent $30 bucks on the ingredients and ended up making it. It was phenomenal.

• Locked thread