Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RVProfootballer posted:

Also, are we really starting another round of "Samsung has totally changed, the new Galaxy S will get updates so fast!" Why don't we wait and see. You may end up being right, and the CDMA Nexus obviously does suck compared to the GSM version in this respect. But this is the Verizon thread, so your options are: 1) deal with Verizon update delays, 2) deal with Verizon update delays and OEM update delays, or 3) buy an iPhone. The Verizon Nexus at least falls somewhere between 1 and 2, where every other Android phone is in situation 2 and the GSM Nexus is in 1.

I'm just going to put it out there. I think there's a distinct possibility that the Galaxy SIII is going to see JB before the Galaxy Nexus. I can completely see Verizon fast tracking the SIII update on testing because it is the current flagship phone of the network. Early rumors put the JB update for (at least the international) version of the SIII as early as August 29th.

We don't even have a leaked build for the Verizon Galaxy nexus which means it's not in wide testing. Also, replacement units are being loaded with a new ICS build. So, it's possible we'll get another ICS push before JB rolls out.

The only solution on Verizon Galaxy Nexus is to run a custom ROM. If you are going to go that route, you might as well buy the better hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

EbolaIvory posted:

Because they are 350 BRAND NEW from the play store for everyone not cdma. Not a hard concept.

Why do you assume I know this? I'm real sorry I poo poo on your deal or whatever but I'm just sharing an experience, apparently a very common one.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

dane cook torrent posted:

Why do you assume I know this? I'm real sorry I poo poo on your deal or whatever but I'm just sharing an experience, apparently a very common one.

Because if you read some of the threads here you'd know. All your bitching has been covered.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

EbolaIvory posted:

Because if you read some of the threads here you'd know. All your bitching has been covered.

You have to realize I've heard a line similar to this from various other people right? And it never turned out to work. Maybe my device was straight up bad, I don't know... if that IS that case though, a lot of peoples' devices were because it was definitely poo poo on in reviews

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

You have to realize I've heard a line similar to this from various other people right? And it never turned out to work. Maybe my device was straight up bad, I don't know... if that IS that case though, a lot of peoples' devices were because it was definitely poo poo on in reviews

So warranty it...

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

EbolaIvory posted:

So warranty it...

This is actually a valid idea that I've put off. At the very least I should do it to resell it later.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I'm just going to put it out there. I think there's a distinct possibility that the Galaxy SIII is going to see JB before the Galaxy Nexus. I can completely see Verizon fast tracking the SIII update on testing because it is the current flagship phone of the network. Early rumors put the JB update for (at least the international) version of the SIII as early as August 29th.

For what it's worth, I also think there might actually be a chance of this. However, Verizon actually helping push an update? I doubt it. It still took the Razr (and Rezound) ages to get an update to 4.0, even though I don't think there was anything else that could claim "flagship" status until the SGS III. Also, we know that status won't last long, and then we'll see about Samsung. I guess the international SGS II is at least unofficially claimed to be getting a Jelly Bean update in September or October, which I find hard to believe but who knows.

This is actually a valid idea that I've put off. At the very least I should do it to resell it later.

I'd recommend giving it a shot to see if exchanging it improves it for you. Verizon will 1-day ship the replacement to you and it's a pretty painless process.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

wandler20 posted:

Any chance Jelly Bean comes to the Bionic? I'm spoiled with my N7 and want it on my Bionic and the battery life has also been terrible on it lately.

If the RAZR/MAXX/Droid 4 get Jelly Bean, chances are the Bionic will also. They are all basically the same phone, just shoved into different body styles.

I would fully expect Jelly Bean to be the last major OS update any of those phones receive, however (if they even get JB at all, but they probably will).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

If the RAZR/MAXX/Droid 4 get Jelly Bean, chances are the Bionic will also. They are all basically the same phone, just shoved into different body styles.

Plus, the ICS update for the Bionic is bringing the Bionic more in line with the Razr/Razr MAXX software. They are adding smart actions in just like the Razrs.

Honestly, I think it's less "will Motorola do it" and more "will Verizon tell them they don't want to push any more major updates to that device."

RVProfootballer posted:

For what it's worth, I also think there might actually be a chance of this. However, Verizon actually helping push an update? I doubt it. It still took the Razr (and Rezound) ages to get an update to 4.0, even though I don't think there was anything else that could claim "flagship" status until the SGS III. Also, we know that status won't last long, and then we'll see about Samsung. I guess the international SGS II is at least unofficially claimed to be getting a Jelly Bean update in September or October, which I find hard to believe but who knows.

Verizon only has X number of testing resources and Y number of CS reps to handle questions after an update. If the SGSIII update is near the same readiness level of the Galaxy Nexus update, I could very well see them giving the SGSIII priority with those resources.

ICS > JB is a different game than Gingerbread > ICS. I honestly think that Motorola did pretty well in that regard. I mean, they had a non-beta ICS build only a month after the Verizon Galaxy Nexus finally got a non-beta build.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 17, 2012

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
My family has two phones on the "nationwide tlk&txt share 1400" plan. One is a dummy phone, the other is a smartphone with $29.99/mo unlimited data. I want buy a new phone and add myself to that plan. If I want to add myself, will it bump them off their current plan and onto the new Share Everything plan? Any suggestions on how to best handle it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Hughmoris posted:

My family has two phones on the "nationwide tlk&txt share 1400" plan. One is a dummy phone, the other is a smartphone with $29.99/mo unlimited data. I want buy a new phone and add myself to that plan. If I want to add myself, will it bump them off their current plan and onto the new Share Everything plan? Any suggestions on how to best handle it?
You just have to pick a tiered data plan.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

So could you provide more context than a two line anecdote? What firmware are you running? What do you primarily do? Do you use google voice? etc
This is my battery use today. Bugless Beast JB, extended battery, wifi and 4g both turned on.

Some time spent with awful betamax, checked my emails as they came in. What do you expect?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mr. Despair posted:

This is my battery use today. Bugless Beast JB, extended battery, wifi and 4g both turned on.

Some time spent with awful betamax, checked my emails as they came in. What do you expect?

You should probably show the screen on time. That screen alone really doesn't tell you much.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If you really want to know how much my screen was on, here you go.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Mr. Despair posted:

If you really want to know how much my screen was on, here you go.

No, he wants you to press the line that says "Screen" and then take the screenshot. That will actually give an actual value for "Screen On Time."

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

AT&T is not allowing FaceTime over cellular on grandfathered unlimited plans. And worse it's not even available for tiered users, you will have to get on their equivalent to Share Everything plans.

What are the odds Verizon will follow suit? Seems like rather than turn the screws on users this way, they're just using the upgrade path to force as many people off unlimited as they can.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I'm really hoping Apple steps in here. Why would an iPhone user use Facetime when Skype is free over cell networks? It makes no sense and if Apple let's one of it's apps get shown the door by a carrier like this, it's a pretty amazing change in philosophy. I don't want to say Steve would have never let this fly, but I just don't see how anyone at Apple okayed this.

e: Honestly I think Skype has better quality video chats so it's really not the end of the world (until Microsoft fucks up Skype somehow).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like September 5th may be the date for the Razr HD.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/08/17/motorola-tells-us-to-save-the-date-on-september-5-possible-razr-hd-unveiling/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'm really hoping Apple steps in here. Why would an iPhone user use Facetime when Skype is free over cell networks? It makes no sense and if Apple let's one of it's apps get shown the door by a carrier like this, it's a pretty amazing change in philosophy. I don't want to say Steve would have never let this fly, but I just don't see how anyone at Apple okayed this.
Maybe AT&T is the only one who is doing this (Apple would know, because they obviously implemented the paywall for AT&T). If that's the case, then they could well be happy to let the market sort this out on their own. For one, I believe Sprint has already confirmed they're not going to charge for FaceTime over cellular but I haven't seen anything from Verizon yet?

AT&T is free to screw their customers, and Verizon, Sprint, Cricket, and Virgin will happily welcome those customers with open arms and a subsidized iPhone 5.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 17, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'm really hoping Apple steps in here.
Why would they? AT&T makes it possible to use FaceTime over 3G/4G. You just have to upgrade to a modern data plan. This isn't the first time carriers restrict features in order to get people on new plans. Anyone who seriously thought they'd be able to hang onto their unlimited data plans on AT&T forever was delusional.

Also this is the Verizon thread.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'm really hoping Apple steps in here.
Why would they? AT&T makes it possible to use FaceTime over 3G/4G. You just have to upgrade to a modern data plan. This isn't the first time carriers restrict features in order to get people on new plans. Anyone who seriously thought they'd be able to hang onto their unlimited plans forever was delusional.

Also this is the Verizon thread.

edit: and I seriously can't wait for the fallout if AT&T pulls a "unlimited 3G data plans not compatible with the new LTE iPhone." The writing is on the wall already.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
It's not like Apple to let others fragment their products. At least that was always the impression I got. Didn't AT&T try to do the same thing with MMS and Apple told them to gently caress off? Apple likes a consistent user experience and seemingly typically tries to stop arbitrary poo poo like this from taking place. Maybe I just hold them to a higher standard. I probably shouldn't.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's no different than iOS' native tethering feature. They just add a disclaimer that it requires carrier support. Also the expectation is already set with FaceTime that you need Wi-Fi. You're not taking any features away, just keeping people with old plans at the status quo.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've been using Sprint for the past 10 years and have grown accustomed to their slow rear end network. Today I went to a Verizon store and played around with a Samsung S3 and their fancy 4G network... :suicide:

I really need to make the jump.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

kitten smoothie posted:

AT&T is not allowing FaceTime over cellular on grandfathered unlimited plans. And worse it's not even available for tiered users, you will have to get on their equivalent to Share Everything plans.

It's reasons like this major manufacturers (e.g. Google & Apple) and potential major manufacturers (e.g. Amazon) are increasingly giving the finger to wireless carriers.

I've worked for Verizon for over 4 years, and while they've made some tremendous progress in this aspect over that time (remember the Bluetooth OBEX scandal?), they still don't seem to grasp that what the technology world, and ultimately end users, really want them to be is the wireless equivalent of an ethernet jack. I'm truly hoping the Share Everything Plans are a sign of this finally coming to fruition, but only time will tell.

Remember how long it took for cable modem providers to accept the fact that you might own a router and that you might *gasp* have multiple devices plugged into that router without them being able to charge you extra? Yeah, this fight will take longer. (Although, hopefully not as long as it took Bell to allow subscribers to use 3rd-party phones on their system.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SpacedOut posted:

It's reasons like this major manufacturers (e.g. Google & Apple) and potential major manufacturers (e.g. Amazon) are increasingly giving the finger to wireless carriers.

I've worked for Verizon for over 4 years, and while they've made some tremendous progress in this aspect over that time (remember the Bluetooth OBEX scandal?), they still don't seem to grasp that what the technology world, and ultimately end users, really want them to be is the wireless equivalent of an ethernet jack. I'm truly hoping the Share Everything Plans are a sign of this finally coming to fruition, but only time will tell.

Remember how long it took for cable modem providers to accept the fact that you might own a router and that you might *gasp* have multiple devices plugged into that router without them being able to charge you extra? Yeah, this fight will take longer. (Although, hopefully not as long as it took Bell to allow subscribers to use 3rd-party phones on their system.)

I think carriers more than realize that is what consumers want, the issue is carriers really do not want to become just a pipeline.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

What are the odds Verizon will follow suit? Seems like rather than turn the screws on users this way, they're just using the upgrade path to force as many people off unlimited as they can.
Somewhere approaching 100%, I'd imagine.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
They also have been sending out letters offering a free month of service if you move to the new share everything plans.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I wish they'd send out letters to tell me when they've done something I can leverage to leave without incurring an ETF. T-Mobile look like they're doing pretty well in this area.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
I got the ICS OTA update on Saturday for my Droid 4, but since then my phone has been getting burning hot and having the battery drain in 90 minutes of sitting idle. I've seen a couple similar reports on XDA, but have any of y'all had any problems?

Fortunately Verizon is being cool and sending me a replacement, but I'm just curious what the hell happened.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I haven't had any issues like that myself.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Jake Gittes posted:

I got the ICS OTA update on Saturday for my Droid 4, but since then my phone has been getting burning hot and having the battery drain in 90 minutes of sitting idle. I've seen a couple similar reports on XDA, but have any of y'all had any problems?

Fortunately Verizon is being cool and sending me a replacement, but I'm just curious what the hell happened.

We saw this a few times with the Razrs after the update.

A factory reset fixed it every time. Something installed prior to the update didn't agree with its new OS.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Jake Gittes posted:

Seconding Mighty Horse. My RAZR started acting like a POS immediately after the ICS update. A hard reset fixed it right up.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Sorry for another "Will I lose unlimited data if _____?" question but I'm pretty sure the answer is no, I will not lose unlimited data. Just want to check in here and make sure that's right.

My wife and I are on unlimited data, but if I were to add a couple new lines, say 2 iPhone 4s and 2GB data, would we keep unlimited data on our plans? So would it be 2 unlimiteds and 2 2GB data plans on the same bill? A couple family members want to move to Verizon and joining our plan looks to be the cheapest option for them. I don't want to lose unlimited data in the process, though.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
yeah, you will be fine.

might want to wait for the 12th though...no sense in paying full price for a 4S when the price drop is right around the corner

ThePhreak
Aug 17, 2004

Can you feel that...That thang that's beatin' in your doggone chest like that...Can you feel that?!?!

Mr. Despair posted:

I just picked up a Galaxy Nexus and it's honestly absurd how quickly this thing goes through a battery. It came with a spare extended battery and I grabbed a Samsung stock battery, and I'm still always running around trying to charge the phone as I chug through these batteries.

If I use the phone for a few messages (no calls), and a few minutes of checking Twitter throughout a day at work, the phone lasts from 9 AM - 4:30 PM. When I actually use the phone for a bit of navigation and to use Skype, the phone dies in a little over an hour on extended battery. I find that embarrassingly bad. If I can't use all the great apps on the phone and get more out of the battery, I'm not sure what the purpose is. I absolutely LOVE the form factor and all the things you can do with the phone, but I still I plan to switch to another phone as soon as something catches my eye.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Am I the only one not really bothered by the Galaxy Nexus battery life? I grabbed a charger and two 2200mah batteries from Amazon for $20, and sometimes need to swap. I think the only time I needed all three was during an evening beer festival after using it for Maps earlier in the day (Untappd is about as inefficient as Facebook, holy poo poo).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Alarbus posted:

Am I the only one not really bothered by the Galaxy Nexus battery life?
Yes, having to swap batteries (twice even!) on a semi-frequent basis is really unfortunate. It means the device either has an undersized battery, suffers excessive power drain, or both.

Phones should really be able to go 20-24 hours between recharges with moderate use and moderate-to-poor signal conditions. For most people, charging once a day isn't particularly onerous, but charging more often that that usually is.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Alarbus posted:

Am I the only one not really bothered by the Galaxy Nexus battery life? I grabbed a charger and two 2200mah batteries from Amazon for $20, and sometimes need to swap. I think the only time I needed all three was during an evening beer festival after using it for Maps earlier in the day (Untappd is about as inefficient as Facebook, holy poo poo).

Yeah, mine is fine. I've mentioned before, but I can go ~2 days with light use (about an hour of screen time per day). Here's an example of heavy use:

I also had a 35 minute phone call in the middle of that high activity block, so overall it was something like 3.5 hours of active usage. At the end of me using it a ton, I was at 30%. Wifi was left on, but I was actually on 3G the whole time as there was no wifi where I was. Uhhh, then it realized it had drained too fast and recharged itself a bit (it was not plugged in ever today). It's dropped to 14% after about 8 more hours of minimal/light use. I have the official extended battery.

So yeah, it definitely drains fast when that giant screen is on, but you should still be getting at least Thunderbolt levels of battery life with heavy usage. If you can't go a work day with light use, something is off. Either an app is messing you up or you have no reception or you were Samsung'ed again and should look into exchanging your phone.

Edit: Or my phone is a special snowflake :blush:

sourdough fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW
So I'm looking at the razor maxx for the wife and the s3 for myself, and I went over to Amazon to see what their prices were like. Turns out they're a few bucks cheaper than Verizon's website. However, I'm not bad at negotiating, so I'm not worried about that. What I am curious about, though, is what ordering a phone through amazon is like. Last upgrade, they just ported everything over and it was fine, but this time my phone is rooted to poo poo. Will the phone just come from amazon working and all or do I have to take it to the verizon store to get them to activate it? I'd be interested if someone could walk me through this process, because it's an interesting idea, but I don't want to do it if it's going to be a huge hassle.

• Locked thread