Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Miles O'Brian posted:

Cultists are a let down

Really like the DA Librarian

What is this, opposite day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Let's just compromise and say they're both awesome, because they are.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Nothing in the WD about the Chaos codex. Last page is just a Dark Angel :(

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
As nice as the models are, I don't think it is a great starter set.

The models are super detailed and will be intimidating for new painters. The marines all have DA iconography on them so can't easily be used for other chapters.

The good thing about AoBR and BfM was that they contained big piles of boys and bugs which people lapped up to be the cores of their armies. I don't know how keen chaos players will be on piles of cultists and I don't know how keen non-DA marine players will be on using those models.

I think I'll just try and pick up the mini book on ebay or something but I think that's going to be hard because I don't feel people will be breaking up boxes in the same way they did when black reach came out.

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 17, 2012

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The DA models don't seem too ornate; I mean they're still dressed up, but newer painters will probably gravitate towards them. The Chaos cultists don't seem too ornate, but the Chosen, Lord, and Hellbrute would all terrify me as a new painter. They'll be tough to paint but look so drat cool.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Fix posted:

Wow, what does it feel like to be so deeply wrong? Is it a sort of tingling in your chest, or a burning sensation when you pee?

I wouldn't know. :smug:

In all seriousness though, the Heavy Stubber guy, Shirtless guy, guy with all the eyes and the two champions are cool, even if the champions suffer from their casting. Nothing a bit of cutting wont fix. Im about to go full sperg here so hold on to your hats.

Most of the rest look like they walked right out of Necromunda 10 years ago, complete with the posing problems that plagued metal models. The final couple look like the models you see all over the internet where someone bought a 3rd party head and stuck it on a cadian body before leaning back and congratulating himself on being the king of conversions.

Really though I just passionately hate that "flat of the blade towards the front" 2d posing style so much. So so much. Like, intensely.

This image causes me physical pain.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I hate to do it to those beautiful models, but there'll be a lot of filing off of DA iconography.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

New chaos models are amazing, are the marines all one piece/snap together? I've never bought a starter before. Agreeing that they could be intimidating for newbies to paint!

Honestly though I will never use the DA's, does the starter stuff usually come out in boxes by itself? Really want some cultists (snap together as well?) and a hell brute. Will it work out cheaper to just buy the starter?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Cataphract posted:

The models are super detailed and will be intimidating for new painters.

I don't think this is how most people think. Specially not the younger players.

In my experience they aren't worried at all about giving the model the paintjob it deserves or whatever. They just think it's cool to have really neat model, even if they might end up a bit disappointed by their own effort.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Ugh, seeing those new models makes me want to start a Ravenwing army. Heck, I might take the cultists to use in an inquistor army with my GKs or DCAs in my SoB.

Speaking of which, am I correct in assuming that DCAs power weapons fall under unusual power weapons rule since it is not specified?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm trying to decide what it is that I'm looking at with those ravenwing bikes. I mean, those are new, yeah? The front wheel hood is different? The wing off the back is more sleek?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Drumstick posted:

Speaking of which, am I correct in assuming that DCAs power weapons fall under unusual power weapons rule since it is not specified?

No, they are power weapons and you can model them however you want. Personally I think maul + axe is the best loadout.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Miles O'Brian posted:

Really though I just passionately hate that "flat of the blade towards the front" 2d posing style so much. So so much. Like, intensely.

I know what you mean. I can't stand the Orks in AOBR and the Space Marine Sergeant with his sideways pointing for this reason. I'm really hoping that it's a case of that's just how it looks in a photo and in reality it's a lot more dynamic.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Phyresis posted:

No, they are power weapons and you can model them however you want. Personally I think maul + axe is the best loadout.

Why waste that high I and AP3?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

cat with hands posted:

Why waste that high I and AP3?

Against more than 4+ and above you've got the maul to take care of things handily, while the axe can deal with 2+ save units, and will inflict a greater number of wounds on MEQs than going for swords; presumably you've got crusaders in the squad to soak hits before the axes get to strike.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So this may be nothing, but my LGS owner was told by his GW rep to expect an email on the 25th, with something to do with how many 6th ed rulebooks he sold. No idea if they're capping how many starters stores get, if its just bonus wholesale pricing, or what. But it's pretty funny GW would have something related to sales of rulebooks without telling stores, you know, when they went on sale.

Our LGS sold 83 copies though so we should be set. :clint:

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I would also give the Crusaders axes and mauls for obvious reasons. I'm not sure how I'm going to kit out my Chaos Terminators; the kit doesn't even come with a power sword but I probably wouldn't have used it anyway. I can't decide if a power fist is worth 10 points when I can just give them a power axe for free instead. Combi-meltas should give them enough anti-tank capability and I'm not really afraid of getting them stuck in combat with a walker.

e: I'm highly disappointed that Abbadon isn't going to make Terminators Troops. And that there are no Cult Terminators (you can make ghetto ones with Marks and Icons but it's hella expensive.)

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 17, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fix posted:

I'm trying to decide what it is that I'm looking at with those ravenwing bikes. I mean, those are new, yeah? The front wheel hood is different? The wing off the back is more sleek?

I think the standards are more slimline, also the feathers between the bolters are new, and you're right about the front wheel hood being different. It's slightly 'beakish'.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Nephilm posted:

Against more than 4+ and above you've got the maul to take care of things handily, while the axe can deal with 2+ save units, and will inflict a greater number of wounds on MEQs than going for swords; presumably you've got crusaders in the squad to soak hits before the axes get to strike.

The axe is a no-brainer, but the maul I don't know about. Seems like you would end up with larger/more expensive units just to ensure you can soak hits and do enough damage vs 3+ units.

Is henchmen spawn even worth it now when you need a landraider to assault from relative safety?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phyresis posted:

Marines look like Marines I guess but those bikers are pretty dynamic.

What's up with the knee pads on the AC terminator?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I can't decide whether to buy a couple of starters and split them for sale, or not bother. I did it with IoB and made enough from 2 boxes to pay for a 3rd which i kept, but nobody knows what the crap a Hellbrute will be, or if anyone wants any cultists.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Lungboy posted:

I can't decide whether to buy a couple of starters and split them for sale, or not bother. I did it with IoB and made enough from 2 boxes to pay for a 3rd which i kept, but nobody knows what the crap a Hellbrute will be, or if anyone wants any cultists.

If you do, I'll buy a mini rulebook or two from you...

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That fuckin' Hellbrute is just asking for a Nurgle paint job.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Aw gently caress, I knew I should've gotten rid of my CSM while I had the chance :(

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

What's up with the knee pads on the AC terminator?

He doesn't have any; his greaves come up to cover his knees.

As much as I'm smitten with the CSM models, I do have to wonder how much use I'll get from them. Still, I'm gonna get the set and will happily swap the DA half for another CSM half.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I expected to be able to happily ditch the Dark Angels until I realized how good the Deathwing would look back in Space Hulk.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
The box set seem horribly imbalanced points wise?

There seems to be around 900 points of dark angels (and 3 HQs...) and there's 450 odd points of chaos (presuming the hellbrute is a dreadnought) plus whatever the cultists cost. Even if the cultists are 10 points each that still means there's only around 650 points of chaos... that's a big gap.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
If anyone doesn't want their cultists, I'll buy em for GK henchmen conversions. We should set up a thread once the box hits for goons who want to split kits.

Ghoulish Sandwich
Jun 27, 2008

the corpse party!
theres no better time and there are so many corpses here to work with

Cataphract posted:

There seems to be around 900 points of dark angels (and 3 HQs...) and there's 450 odd points of chaos (presuming the hellbrute is a dreadnought) plus whatever the cultists cost. Even if the cultists are 10 points each that still means there's only around 650 points of chaos... that's a big gap.

It's like that for the Island of Blood in fantasy, too. I think they justify it by not having the full set of codex-specific rules, like how AoBR didn't have ATSKNF, or similar.

Who knows? Maybe Crazed is really good now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, seeing those models has sold me on the starter set. I've played Dark Angels since I started this stupid hobby and I want to start up a Night Lords army. This thing is almost tailor-made for me.

Those terminators are awesome, especially the assault cannon dude. They even have the little knives the old models did. I'm not a big fan of the DA captain, but the librarian and chaplain look good. Some of the chaos models look absolutely amazing. I really want to see what they'd look like in different colors.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SRM posted:

Let's just compromise and say they're both awesome, because they are.

Seconded!

How can you even say that the cultists are a let down? Every model there is pretty amazing.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'm seriously considering buy the starter straight up.

I'm just floating this out there, but would anyone in the US want to split one with me? I'd just want the Chaos stuff and mini-rulebook; the only Dark Angel model that interests me is the Librarian, maybe.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

Yeah, that starter set looks great. Looks like I'm heading over to Seattle again at the end of the month. Can't wait to see what the full line of new Chaos/DA minis are going to look like.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Yup gonna buy the starter set to paint and sell. That big chaos thing is worth the cost alone.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

What chaos demons stuff is in the box set, or is it CSM?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cataphract posted:

The starter sets are never balanced and almost always favor the "good guys".

numerrik posted:

What chaos demons stuff is in the box set, or is it CSM?

It's all CSM: a lord, 6 chosen, 20 cultists, and a dreadnought.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Y'all are going to poo poo steam when they say the starter kit costs $150. :unsmigghh:

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
numerrik- no Daemons stuff since GW seems set on keeping the CMarines and CDaemons lines separate.

That Hellbrute is amazing, and made me double take since I thought that it was the new Chaos Dread for a second. Pity to see the double in the Chosen.
Going to be definitely picking up that set for the Chaos minis. They'll be a pleasure to paint.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PeterWeller posted:

He doesn't have any; his greaves come up to cover his knees.

that was my point. Corvus-pattern terminator armor? Idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

that was my point. Corvus-pattern terminator armor? Idk

Some of the Black Reach terminators had it too:

• Locked thread