Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

mcvey posted:

No one should get a pass for racism, brah.

Joey Diaz saying crazy poo poo is his charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

-Atom- posted:

Joey Diaz saying crazy poo poo is his charm.

Joey Diaz telling ridiculous stories is his charm, spouting ridiculous racist remarks is the exact opposite of charm.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Who gives a poo poo? What's the solution here?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Cromulent posted:

Who gives a poo poo? What's the solution here?

Yeah. Just sit back and wait for the laughs. If it really upsets you, don't listen. Joey Diaz having racist opinions doesn't make you a racist for listening. And everybody has lovely opinions on one thing or another and if you're talking for hours upon hours like Joey Diaz does on the podcast, eventually one comes out.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
You guys are right with not worrying about it, I just lost a lot of 'respect' for him after he blindsided the podcast with his little rant.

Now I'm going to listen to the Kilstein episode and get even angrier :shobon:

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mcvey posted:

You guys are right with not worrying about it, I just lost a lot of 'respect' for him after he blindsided the podcast with his little rant.

Now I'm going to listen to the Kilstein episode and get even angrier :shobon:

He's a hilarious, positive dude most of the time now but it's good to also remember that he did kidnap someone with a machine gun. Obviously he's a different person now, but I mean, you probably shouldn't agree with anyone on 100% of poo poo anyway, unless they are Duncan.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

*Inhales helium* bhagavad gita, man!

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Joe Rogan: "Rape is the new human being"

Love this silly bitch

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
The best bit about the Kilstein episode was Joe's Remark that "dumb people don't know their dumb, that's what makes them so dumb". It was gloriously ironic and reminded me of this scene from The Wire.

Oh, and I agreed with everything SSJ2 Goku Wilders said. Seriously, shouting "MURDER IS WORSE THAN RAPE?! MURDER IS WORSE THAN RAPE? REALLY?" completely misses the point. No wonder Kilstein was dumbstruck. That's saying nothing of Redban's idiotic interjections such as "I'd rather be raped than murdered, seriously!". People are intimidated by Joe's ultra-alphaness and never truly call him out, Kilstein was cowed and completely dumbstruck. I'd love Joe to argue his case against someone who doesn't let the loudest guy win (a trait Joe himself often criticizes in others).

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
To be fair to Joe, Jamie told his point TERRIBLY that even I was agreeing with Joe. Jamie tries to say he is a comedian but he doesn't seem to understand that some comedians have no bounadaries. I don't even like Tosh but the joke was funny. Because it was a joke, to a heckler. gently caress hecklers.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
It's pretty sweet how having "no boundaries" is a-okay when it comes to subjects like rape, but put Kramer on stage screaming "niggers", and it's a disaster for the entire profession.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 17, 2012

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
the difference is tosh made an impromptu joke about rape after being heckled, while kramer was just shouting "niggers" like a moron. joe is a total meathead, but killstein is exactly what joe hates: a "human being", or a weak man; a pussy. i just took it as jamie trying to get some attention from a situation by interjecting himself into it without really thinking it through. and i guess he succeeded, because he got on tv because of it. i'm not sure how old he is but he came off as rather immature.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
This isn't a defense of Kramer, by the way, but he also had his outburst in response to being heckled. The biggest difference is in your perception of racism as opposed to rape, not how gracefully or not the person on stage chose to be a loving moron.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
no one told kramer to start talking about niggers, but someone told tosh to start talking about rape, so he did. kramer just "went off the rails and into the woods" and started shouting about niggers.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Well, if someone put a gun to his head and forced him to be a shithead, I guess that changes everything

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

wolfbiker posted:

no one told kramer to start talking about niggers, but someone told tosh to start talking about rape, so he did. kramer just "went off the rails and into the woods" and started shouting about niggers.

Would you honestly view the situation differently if someone had suggested Kramer make some jokes about niggers before his outburst?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Bohemian Nights posted:

Well, if someone put a gun to his head and forced him to be a shithead, I guess that changes everything

We get it man. You are on the high horse. I personally don't find rape jokes funny, I don't find using friend of the family funny, but I don't get uptight about it because there are situations where it could be funny. In Tosh's case, from all accounts I've heard, he was asked to make jokes about rape, and he started on like "What's funny about it, I don't know the humilation, the powerlessness, etc" and she said there is nothing funny about rape. If he pulled the "Wouldn't it be funny if like 5 guys raped her right now?" I would've laughed. It's ridiculous. He isn't wishing her to be raped. It's just silly. He was highlighting what isn't funny about rape.

Kramer on the other hand, is just a lovely stand up and wasn't even making a joke. He was just screaming friend of the family over and over. He was a lovely stand up and freaked out because he didn't know how to react to a heckler.

And Joe wasn't going alpha, he is just a comedy lover. He thinks it is wrong to tell comics what is funny and what is not. He hangs around with Redban, Duncan and Bert for gently caress's sake.

CortezFantastic fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 17, 2012

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

CortezFantastic posted:

We get it man. You are on the high horse. I personally don't find rape jokes funny, I don't find using friend of the family funny, but I don't get uptight about it because there are situations where it could be funny. In Tosh's case, from all accounts I've heard, he was asked to make jokes about rape, and he started on like "What's funny about it, I don't know the humilation, the powerlessness, etc" and she said there is nothing funny about rape. If he pulled the "Wouldn't it be funny if like 5 guys raped her right now?" I would've laughed. It's ridiculous. He isn't wishing her to be raped. It's just silly.

Kramer on the other hand, is just a lovely stand up and wasn't even making a joke. He was just screaming friend of the family over and over. He was a lovely stand up and freaked out because he didn't know how to react to a heckler.

And Joe wasn't going alpha, he is just a comedy lover. He thinks it is wrong to tell comics what is funny and what is not. He hangs around with Redban, Duncan and Bert for gently caress's sake.

Yep.

And people seriously need to stop giving a gently caress about what comics say on stage. Very few comedians are interested in making their comedy into strong social commentary like George Carlin, let alone being capable of it. Most are just trying to earn some money while making you laugh, and the majority have really dumb and offensive opinions like the rest of the world.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bubba Smith posted:

Yep.

And people seriously need to stop giving a gently caress about what comics say on stage.

To an extent this is true, but it's also true that just saying the words artistic expression doesn't make it less awful when some privileged gently caress tries to hide behind a nonsense freedom of speech argument or condescending 'get a thicker skin, person who isn't a straight white male' stance.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

DerbyTime!!! posted:

To an extent this is true, but it's also true that just saying the words artistic expression doesn't make it less awful when some privileged gently caress tries to hide behind a nonsense freedom of speech argument or condescending 'get a thicker skin, person who isn't a straight white male' stance.

But I don't even think it's artistic expression, since I'm saying the majority of stand up comedy isn't even "art." It's just dick and fart jokes and personal experiences. Very few comics are actually great writers and thinkers. It's silly entertainment filled with a lot of scumbags and weirdos. I just don't understand the outcry when a comic says something stupid or socially offensive, since it's to be expected.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
W.r.t. rape jokes:

quote:

Choose not to be part of a rape-supportive environment. Rape jokes are not jokes. Woman-hating jokes are not jokes. These guys are telling you what they think. When you laugh along to get their approval, you give them yours. You tell them that the social license to operate is in force; that you’ll go along with the pact to turn your eyes away from the evidence; to make excuses for them; to assume it’s a mistake, of the first time, or a confusing situation. You’re telling them that they’re at low risk.

I also don't buy the reactionary poo poo that goes 'well whatcha gonna do about it!!!'. All progressive struggle starts somewhere. That there's not yet a wide enough of a movement to combat it does not mean that effort against it is meaningless.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bubba Smith posted:

But I don't even think it's artistic expression, since I'm saying the majority of stand up comedy isn't even "art." It's just dick and fart jokes and personal experiences. Very few comics are actually great writers and thinkers. It's silly entertainment filled with a lot of scumbags and weirdos. I just don't understand the outcry when a comic says something stupid or socially offensive, since it's to be expected.

You don't have to understand it, you just have to respect that your subjective point of view is not the only one and is not automatically correct by default. Words are powerful and using them carelessly is for fuckheads.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

DerbyTime!!! posted:

You don't have to understand it, you just have to respect that your subjective point of view is not the only one and is not automatically correct by default.
I just said that people take comedy too seriously, since most comics don't even take their own acts that seriously. They're just up on stage trying to make people laugh.

I don't know where in that you got "my opinion is automatically correct by default." That sounds more like what you're doing to be honest, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

DerbyTime!!! posted:

Words are powerful and using them carelessly is for fuckheads.
And that's what I'm saying comedians are, they are fuckheads. So I guess you agree with me?

A few posts up you said it yourself that Joey Diaz is a funny guy but he's also an ex-con. Many, many other comedians have a very similar story of being funny guys but also have troubled pasts. They aren't really "good" people to begin with, so a lot of their comedy will be hosed up. It's just how it is.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 17, 2012

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I dunno man, I never grew up dealing with any poo poo except maybe getting a couple of shopkeeps stare at me longer than they should have because I'm Mexican. I still enjoy straight male privilege and am aware of that.
I'm just going to have to trust that it really does sting when people make gay jokes and stuff, but I've heard Mexican jokes all my life and at the most I've rolled my eyes.
Is the argument here that comedians making these jokes are perpetuating a frame of mind and validating it? I guess I can kind of see that, but man I have a hard time understanding how it can seriously affect your life when you can just dismiss it. They're not passing policy. Man I don't know, I'm trying to be sympathetic, and I can't really tell anyone not to feel bad about stuff, and I don't care about it either way enough to defend it. People are fuckin dumb and I'm sorry that you have to deal with it, but is this the hill we're dying on?

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bubba Smith posted:

I just said that people take comedy too seriously, since most comics don't even take their own acts that seriously. They're just up on stage trying to make people laugh.

I don't know where in that you got "my opinion is automatically correct by default." That sounds more like what you're doing to be honest, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

And that's what I'm saying comedians are, they are fuckheads. So I guess you agree with me?

A few posts up you said it yourself that Joey Diaz is a funny guy but he's also an ex-con. Many, many other comedians have a very similar story of being funny guys but also have troubled pasts. They aren't really "good" people to begin with, so a lot of their comedy will be hosed up. It's just how it is.

I'm just allowing for the fact that because something does not offend me, and it offends someone else, that doesn't make me right and them wrong. I don't personally get offended by very much at all, and I don't think I have any right *not* to be offended. I just don't think that I have the right to tell other people to take words less seriously and if I were to do so it would probably be a gross unawareness of many different kinds of privilege. Ethically I don't think it's a black and white thing by any means, and of course comedians should feel free to talk about any topic they feel like, but if it's done without a sense of compassion/understanding for the people who are actually affected by the words you're choosing to use, it makes you an rear end in a top hat. Not all assholes are unfunny, but sure, it's a bummer when you find out that someone who you think is hilarious is also an rear end in a top hat.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
Basically the only people who really believe that Daniel Tosh thinks that 5 people actually should have raped that woman are rapists. People with horrible opinions about doing rapes don't pick up on how ridiculous the punchline of a joke is and laugh at that, they just think "hmm yes, it would be funny if 5 people actually raped this woman right now" and laugh at how funny it would be to them if that woman was actually getting raped by 5 guys.

I could write more words but basically: "The Chris Rock 'Black People vs Niggers' bit"

Tim Selaty Jr fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 18, 2012

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
Joe seems to have a stick in his rear end about 'alternative comedians'. What/who the hell is he talking about, anyway? I've always figured that alternative comedy was comedy that people do in bars rather than comedy clubs (so like... Patton Oswalt and Eugene Mirman and stuff)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Thought maybe he meant subtypes of comedy, like prop comedy or musical comedy or something, but apparently he's probably talking about : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_comedy

Wikipedia posted:

Alternative comedy came to describe an approach to stand-up comedy that was neither racist nor sexist but free-form and devised by the performers themselves.

Apparently it's mostly just comedy that's outside of the mainstream of its time, but according to that page, it's spawned comedians like Eddie Izzard and Jimmy Carr, so it obviously can't be all bad.

Calcaneus
Sep 12, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

It's pretty sweet how having "no boundaries" is a-okay when it comes to subjects like rape, but put Kramer on stage screaming "niggers", and it's a disaster for the entire profession.
I think one thing that makes the Kramer thing different than the Tosh thing, is that Kramer's rant was not about making jokes. He wasn't trying to be funny when talking about "niggers" and how "50 years ago you would be...", he was just angry. Whether you find it acceptable or not, its pretty clear that Tosh was making a joke. The reason less comedians would come to Kramer's defense, is because what Kramer did wasn't comedy.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bohemian Nights posted:

Thought maybe he meant subtypes of comedy, like prop comedy or musical comedy or something, but apparently he's probably talking about : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_comedy

Apparently it's mostly just comedy that's outside of the mainstream of its time, but according to that page, it's spawned comedians like Eddie Izzard and Jimmy Carr, so it obviously can't be all bad.

:ssh: Joe doesn't like being reminded that he uses sexism as a crutch and it's lazy comedy :ssh:

e: vvv it's not at all 'perfectly acceptable' to say what he said. That's why he apologized. Do you think Daniel Tosh of all people would apologize to some random lady if he thought it wasn't hosed up what he said? I'm trying hard not to Kilstein-out here because suggesting that it's perfectly acceptable to say that in some circumstances rape is 'great' is a pretty out-there fringe position and that's putting it excessively kindly. Tosh didn't seem to me like he was bowing to corporate pressure either, so I think he'd agree. You're arguing based off of an assumption that he doesn't mean what he said in his apology because you assume he agrees with you. I don't think he does agree with you, but maybe that's just my general tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt getting out of control.

DerbyTime!!! fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 18, 2012

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

This isn't a defense of Kramer, by the way, but he also had his outburst in response to being heckled. The biggest difference is in your perception of racism as opposed to rape, not how gracefully or not the person on stage chose to be a loving moron.

The biggest difference is Tosh's joke was funny. Shouting "Look it's a friend of the family!" like Michael Richards if it is a joke, isn't funny.

But he also didn't have to the need to apologize like he did. What he did is perfectly acceptable to do to hecklers, it just wasn't funny.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
So I found this perusing Rogan's message board. I don't really go there often because it's a haven for idiots but every once in a while there will be something good. Someone posted a rundown of Kilstein's thoughts on the argument on his Citizen Radio podcast and Rogan eventually responded to it. Looks like Kilstein isn't going to be on Rogan's podcast anytime soon.

http://wearecitizenradio.com/2012/08/16/20120816-jamies-triumphant-return-plus-trapwire-and-swearing-allegiance-to-tom-hardy/

quote:

This might have been done already but here are the cliff notes to Jamie's response to the podcast. I'm gonna try and not put my own spin on it and not become the Tosh blogger.

At around 5 minutes
He called people tweeting about the incident, weird sycophants, and nitpicked their grammar and originality.

His wife and him take Brian's joke about the girl getting raped and then getting an orgasm serious. They don't refer to him specifically, just that line. They talk about it in the context of getting tweeted it.

At Around 10 Minutes
He said this about when he was getting "yelled at" by Joe, "I barely got to talk anytime, I like, tried to say something, like, it got shut down. But I mean I'm proud of myself because like, when you're in a situation like that, I wasn't proud of myself. I was like this is the worst thing that's happened to me. When you're in a situation like that part of you wants to like, I don't know like, wants to be funny and like, slowly rape joke your way out of the situation.

At 11 minutes he talks about "Rape Culture"
Saying that he read an advice column about dealing with two different instance of rape or sexual assaults, where the girls were raped or sexually assaulted by a person in their circle of friends. He then used this to say that that is proof that rape culture exists.

He tried explaining rape culture at
16:00,
"So what rape culture is, is the fact that somebody who is assaulted, someone who is uncomfortable, someone that is raped, or someone who is just like, feels like they're being treated or talked to inappropriately. Is afraid to say something, because when you go and listen to a podcast, about someone you like, about rape. They're saying 'If someone gets raped they shouldn't go to a comedy club'. Or they're saying 'I don't believe 1 in 6 girls have been raped'. Or they're saying some of the other crazy poo poo I'll say in the show. And I'm bringing it up, Joe, I'm not saying this to bash Joe, I'm not saying this because now I'm not on his show. I tried to say this stuff, when I wasn't getting shouted down. We talked afterwards and I wasn't like 'gently caress You I'm going to trash you on my show', he was like 'Let's have you back on soon, so people know that I don't hate you', and I'm like 'meh great that's awesome'.

At 17:30 he brings up Joe relating rape to other crimes
"One of the big arguments that they were saying on the podcast yesterday, was, um. Where they were talking about like other crimes, right? And they were like 'Well what about like if a monkey, if you say I hope a monkey rips your face off. And that girls face had been torn off by a monkey'. And I was like, right, that would be sad but we don't live in a society where 1 in 6 girls are attacked by monkeys, and where people aren't like 'What's your prior relationship with the monkey'.

At 18:50 Jamie's wife explained "rape culture" further
"Rape culture is like a boys will be boys mentality. Where it's sort of like, if a comedian feels comfortable enough to get up onstage and make a rape joke, and 500 people in a room feel comfortable enough to laugh at that rape joke, that is part of rape culture. The fact that we consider rape acceptable enough that, we a) Talk about it openly and then also, you know make light of it. And then also, when an actual victim stands up and says you know, that's not funny, you also feel comfortable enough to shoot her down, and that the audience will have your back.
Jamie then adds
"The hosed up thing is we don't know if the heckler was raped or whatever, they just heckled. But judging by numbers, somebody in that room was, and, Joe said, and I go 'What if she was raped. What if she wasn't heckling just because she goes around heckling people. Like if you were raped, that might just come out because it's a traumatic experience to hear a bunch of people laughing about this horrifying thing that happend to you. And he was like 'Well don't go to a comedy club'. And I was like 'So what you're saying is that if you're raped you should be the one that, you just can't have fun anymore. You just stay in your rape room, at home and.."
Jamie's wife
"Right and we'll tell you where you can and can not go"

Jamie continues at around 18:00
"And then Redban, Brian Redban, the co-host goes, was like, 'Dude I got mugged at gun point', and I was like "A-Hunh', and Joe was like 'I've gotten into a fight', and I was like 'Right'".
Jamie's Wife
"Like comparing that to rape."
Jamie
"They went on to say that it was worse."
Jamie's Wife 10 seconds later
"Because it happend to some dumb bitch instead of me."
Jamie
"Yeah. Usually I'm so brave, but then in that one moment some guy pulled a gun on me, and in that moment i wasn't brave, and now I have to think about maybe how I'm not brave."
Jamie's Wife
" I think a lot of it might be, being part of a hyper masculated community. And that's like comedy and fighting, and that's not to say that everybody and comedy and fighting are douche bags. You know, but, I think if you're around other men all the time, and you're never around women----You can't empathize or refuse to empathize."

At 23:00 He says that he wonders if the Tosh situation would've blown up as much if it had been a guy who wrote the blog and his girlfriend had been raped.
"I think Tosh would've backed down, number one, I think comics might've still been like heckling is bad. But they would've been like, think about how hosed up it would've been if like, clearly this guy is having an episode he knew a girl, what about that girl? Oh gently caress that girl."
Jamie's Wife
"I think the biggest reason people freaked was because it was a women who was asserting herself."

At 25:00 Jamie continues
" The conversation opened up after they refused to believe 1 in 4 girls has been sexually assaulted. Then they look it up and they found a stat 1 in 6, which they still didn't believe, but they went with that. And then after that they go 'Well wait! That means 1 in 6 guys are rapist!' and then that made them furious. Not that they're rapist but they're making men look bad. They're mad at me because I put, I'm ashamed of my gender. And I go 'Right cause we rape a lot!'".
Jamie continued
"But then the conversation opened up, they were like if a woman, if somebody gets murdered I want them to die immediately. If a girl gets raped, I wanted to know... I was like if you're a murderer I want you to burn in hell, but if you're a rapist like I just wanna get to know you"

Jamie's Wife
"It's so interesting how there is so much empathy aimed at the perpetrator and not the victim."

Jamie
"And then the conversation devolved into them yelling at me Would you rather be murdered or raped."

At around 27:00 he talks about the Rape Vs. Murder part
"At least when you're murdered you're done you're out. When you're raped that's really hard you have to live with that forever. And Joe's like 'Well that's why there are, you could do many different things like, Psychedelic drugs'. And I'm like 'Joe, do you think the 14 year old that got raped has access to psychedelic drugs.
Jamie's wife
"Yeah like, let's just keep her in a medically induced coma so that she can't bother us with her bitching."
Jamie
"Like if she's tripping she ain't going to a comedy club and ruining our fun."

For 5 or so minutes they rehash some of the same ideas discussed before, and bashed Deathsquad fans who had tweeted Jamie.

To finish it off Jamie's wife goes on this long analogy relating Breaking Bad to "rape culture" Saying that the hate that fans of Breaking Bad have developed hatred for the wife character even though she is the good guy, represents the hatred for women that exist in society. Apparently in the show the main character Walt, is very manipulative of his wife Skyler.
Jamie's wife
"It was just concerning how many woman were like, because she's being abused at this point and they're like 'Shut up, another Skyler story, Walt should just kill her already'. And it's like Holy poo poo! Would you say that to your friend if they said my husband is being manipulative and holding me hostage?"

Jamie also said that Joe had to declare many times "I think rape is bad".
Jamie
"Which if you have to clarify, then you have to think 'What am I saying'".

Joe Rogan posted:

So Jamie distorted the truth of the conversation on the podcast and talked poo poo on his.
Disappointed, but not surprised.
Weak sauce is weak, my friends.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
There's nothing of value to Rogan that Kilstein can contribute to the Joe Rogan Experience. Listening to the first 10 minutes of the EVERLAST episode, my original thoughts on Rogan's positions have only been reinforced.

Kilstein and Rogan said at the start of the show that they were 'friends'. I'm dumbfounded that a relationship between people with such obviously different moral points of departure could have lasted as long as it did.

Kilstein's possible future absence from the invitation list should come as a surprise to no-one.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Tosh situation would've been different if he hadn't made clear that rape is never funny before making that impromptu joke. Comparing it to Kramer is really, really dumb and a sign that even Joe Rogan's podcast might be too complex for you. At least Rogan showed that he 'got' Tosh before rating murder and rape on his universal scale of evilness.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Paul Pot posted:

The Tosh situation would've been different if he hadn't made clear that rape is never funny before making that impromptu joke. Comparing it to Kramer is really, really dumb and a sign that even Joe Rogan's podcast might be too complex for you. At least Rogan showed that he 'got' Tosh before rating murder and rape on his universal scale of evilness.

If you'd actually read my post and what I'm referring to when I "compare" it to the Kramer thing, you might have been able to spare yourself the effort of making a Bad Post.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

Kilstein and Rogan said at the start of the show that they were 'friends'. I'm dumbfounded that a relationship between people with such obviously different moral points of departure could have lasted as long as it did.

Kilstein's possible future absence from the invitation list should come as a surprise to no-one.

A lot of friends usually drop the argument, "agree to disagree" and never really talk in depth about that kind of stuff anymore. The problem with this is they're scheduling 3 hour conversations so avoiding talking about stuff like this is going to be difficult.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kilstein try to do that but Rogan kept on the subject? I really don't want to listen to an hour or more of that argument again. Also, Rogan's not exactly an intellectual beacon on sensitive social issues.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Chromatic posted:

A lot of friends usually drop the argument, "agree to disagree" and never really talk in depth about that kind of stuff anymore. The problem with this is they're scheduling 3 hour conversations so avoiding talking about stuff like this is going to be difficult.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kilstein try to do that but Rogan kept on the subject? I really don't want to listen to an hour or more of that argument again. Also, Rogan's not exactly an intellectual beacon on sensitive social issues.

I recognize what you're saying and it's a common occurrence, agreed. But Rogan is... he's not your run of the mill swing voter that gets distracted by rhetoric, the type of dude that can still be approached reasonably and shown the error of his ways. I'd like to think there's a difference... eh

e: and yes the whole podcast setting makes Kilstein a weird choice if Rogan knew in advance that this guy was an Occupy 'socialist-y' social justice kinda dude.

And yeah, if I'm understanding you correctly then yes, Kilstein kept dropping arguments and failing to make a coherent point because he conceded way too early and way too much in his political game. That was part of the reason that NewtG00nrich called him a liberal / effete on the last page.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 19, 2012

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Jamie and the guy who invited Joe to join his lovelution should hold each other until they cry themselves to sleep.

There would have been disagreement either way but I think if Jamie was upfront and didn't collapse like a washcloth they would have been able to agree to disagree. We wouldnt have the drama of Jamie revealing how he really felt once he was safe and sound. Joe is definitely stubborn/not too perceptive so he's probably surprised, which is why he feels the truth was bent.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

I recognize what you're saying and it's a common occurrence, agreed. But Rogan is... he's not your run of the mill swing voter that gets distracted by rhetoric, the type of dude that can still be approached reasonably and shown the error of his ways. I'd like to think there's a difference... eh

Rogan doesn't strike me as the type of guy who reacts well or modest when someone or something challenges his views, especially his core beliefs. If anyone has any information or any clips to rebuke my thoughts on that, I'd gladly take a look at them.

quote:

e: and yes the whole podcast setting makes Kilstein a weird choice if Rogan knew in advance that this guy was an Occupy 'socialist-y' social justice kinda dude.

I don't think that's fully the case. Kevin Pereira was 100% pro-occupy wallstreet and even told Rogan he was designing an app for it. The app was a twitter kind of thing where you can send info to others with the app for information about meet-ups and things of that nature. Rogan commended him on it and told him it was a great idea.

It was somewhere on this podcast. No idea where though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmTSqdvy038

quote:

And yeah, if I'm understanding you correctly then yes, Kilstein kept dropping arguments and failing to make a coherent point because he conceded way too early and way too much in his political game. That was part of the reason that NewtG00nrich called him a liberal / effete on the last page.

Well, I mean Kilstein obviously looked uncomfortable throughout the whole argument and said along the lines of "well I mean, you think what I'm saying is lovely, I think what you're saying is lovely" and said "agree to disagree" several times. Rogan should have just said "fair enough" and steered the conversation somewhere else after the first time Kilstein said that. It goes back to my theory of Rogan not taking someone challenging his beliefs that well. My opinion though.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

If I were to talk to this guy about social policy I'd first have to make him concede an exception in his view for, like, the mentally challenged, the disabled etc. This dude basically advocates social darwinism and he should be called on it. This is why I think that Kilstein came across as powerless and just let it all slide: he'd have to go into the very foundation of Rogan's belief system to make even a dent.

I didn't see this earlier but wanted to say how right you are on this. Rogan seriously advocates social darwinsim and it's one of the things that why that while I really enjoy his comedy and his podcast(depending on the guest), I don't really respect him as a person. I'm paraphrasing, but when he, Rich Vos, and Ari hosted an episode of Opie and Anthony, he said "The only way the human race is going to evolve and get off this planet for better prosperity is for all the weak people to die off". That's a really weak and disgusting thing to believe and I really hope that if he had a relative who had a mental condition or god forbid one of his kids not being totally healthy he wouldn't believe such a vile thing.

Like I said, it's not an exact quote and it's been 2 years since I've listened to it but that's the gist.

Edit: Found the show here. No idea where the quote is because I don't want to listen to the whole thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMtd39WmmHo

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 19, 2012