Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Never Odd or Even posted:

speaking of, when I first started lurking here I saw a CGI rendering of goatse where the point of view starts above the dude, rotates around, and zooms into his anus. It was the first time I really laughed at goatse.

Edit: what's up with the bottle of kraken rum?

When I first read this I thought you wre referring to this: (warning Goatse) :nws: http://vimeo.com/11241456 :nws: but that is something different and I have never seen your cg goatman gift so does anyone have said cg goatman gif?

KnifeWrench posted:

Well, that wasn't a thread. It was a front page article.

If there was a thread to go along with it, I apologize, but it seemed like the emails were private until the article went up (at least to me).

Yeah and it turned into a MASSIVE thread. IIRC it was an Awful Link of the Day that prompted angry emails that prompted a massive thread that got turned into a full frontpage article.

I got my first avatar in that thread (a black woman yelling and some red text I forget the content of), because I thought it was hilarious, and some guy I have always hated since was being sanctimonious cock about how cruel it was, and we argued for like 10 pages. That article, thread, and whatever would absolutely not happen these days, at least not without it being big whiny clusterfuck, and it makes me a bit sad.

Edit: Good lord, I forgot how much more conversational GBS used to be. Or how popular 'batshit insane' was as a catch phrase.

DamnGlitch has a new favorite as of 05:39 on Aug 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

:kimchi:

Does anybody know why we have that thing?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It's a capsaicin thing.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Zereth posted:

Kimchi is spicy and delicious.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Zereth posted:

GWS thread about making Korean sauerkraut.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:kimchi: Cock sauce.

What's up with Christmas Argh? :sassargh:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Met posted:

Something Awful Secret Santa

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

That one's an SASS thing. If you've ever taken part in a secret santa that involves mailing things, you know exactly what it means.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Met posted:

:kimchi: Cock sauce.

Judging by the name, I'm assume it comes from the secret Santa thread. Presumably the :argh: is about people failing to send gifts.

Edit: beaten on that one.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Okay, what is :krakentoot:?

M as in Mancy
Apr 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Kraken is from Eathbound. Don't get why it's a smilie.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Maybe it's an excited :krakken:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=252

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Nah it's another LP thing from a high-school student with too much disposable income.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
The people in the Earthbound LP thread are super-enthusiastic about the game and have a lot of disposable income. It's a pity those smilies will never get used outside of that thread. :ducksiren: :krakentoot:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I've seen :ducksiren: pop up in other threads. In fact, I didn't even realize it was from the Earthbound LP.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Psalmanazar posted:

Nah it's another LP thing from a high-school student with too much disposable income.

This seems to be a recurring theme with LP and similes.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

senrath posted:

I've seen :ducksiren: pop up in other threads. In fact, I didn't even realize it was from the Earthbound LP.

Oh! Well, that's good. I'm a big fan of Earthbound, so I'm glad it's being used outside the thread. :shobon:

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Enter Char posted:

LP makes a lot of emoticons without thinking of a situation where any would use it. :cedric:

There's nothing anyone can do so we'll have to :dealwithit:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Toast Museum posted:

Judging by the name, I'm assume it comes from the secret Santa thread. Presumably the :argh: is about people failing to send gifts.

Edit: beaten on that one.

It seems to generally follow :ohdearsass: "I think my present got lost or maybe it never got sent in the first place"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ThatPazuzu posted:

LP makes a lot of emoticons without thinking of a situation where any would use it. :cedric:

There's nothing anyone can do so we'll have to :dealwithit:

I already dealt with it. And yo mama :human being:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Enter Char posted:

At least :syoon: is seeing use outside the LP forum.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Psalmanazar posted:

If it's who I think it is, then it's a grad student with too much disposable income.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Jeek posted:

At least :syoon: is seeing use outside the LP forum.

I think this is the first time it's been used outside of the Dangan Ronpa thread at all, actually.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
:moreevil: is the only lp smiley that has an outside use.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
As long as people are talking about for example Mass Effect outside of LP (like in the Strangest Fanart thread), smilies for such big games will be used. Most of those are still really loving obscure though. For an old SNES game, popular as it might be? Eeeh I don't think so.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
To be honest, whenever I'm writing a post I'm trying to figure out a way to smuggle :shopkeeper: in without making it seem out of context. Same with :zoid: :sharpton: :wal: :stat: :yum: :ironicat:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

To be fair, that last one gets some use in the political cartoons thread.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Maremidon posted:

It's pretty much like :goonsay: but I never get to use it because I like not being probated.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

:ocelot: is a great LP smiley.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Maremidon posted:

It also gets a lot of mileage in the "Internet Trainwreck" thread. It's just really well-suited for discussions involving communities with no self-awareness.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
If you read SAS the basketball community has an insider named Dokmo that is a master of stats and graphs so :stat: is regularly used even though the icon itself doesn't make much sense to what we're discussing.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Incoherent Moron posted:

It also gets a lot of mileage in the "Internet Trainwreck" thread. It's just really well-suited for discussions involving communities with no self-awareness.

It gets a lot of use in more or less every mock thread there is, of which the various cartoon threads are usually examples.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Yonic Symbolism posted:

:moreevil: is the only lp smiley that has an outside use.
It's from an LP? Which one?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Pierzak posted:

It's from an LP? Which one?

Epee Em's Battle Network 5. The dude pushing the Evil button is the main antagonist.

When/How did the phrase "in the bin" start, and why did it get banned from TRP?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Pungry posted:

Epee Em's Battle Network 5. The dude pushing the Evil button is the main antagonist.

When/How did the phrase "in the bin" start, and why did it get banned from TRP?

"Bin" is a slang term for a refuse/garbage can in the UK; telling a player/team to "get in the bin" is basically saying you think they're complete garbage. Like most probationary offences, it got banned for overuse.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think this is the first time it's been used outside of the Dangan Ronpa thread at all, actually.
A quick forum search shows that it is used >100 times in forums as varied as GBS, FYAD and YOSPOS. Note that I have not counted the LP forum for the sake of fairness (I know Epee Em has used it at least once in his Hatoful Boyfriend thread though), and the three posts I linked are not written by regulars of the Dangan Ronpa thread as far as I can tell.
:goonsay:

Oh and Platinum Upgrade is a wonderful thing to have

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

It sees some use, but mostly in situations where :swoon: would fit just as well.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Jeek posted:

forums as varied as GBS, FYAD and YOSPOS.

Ahahhaaa. You think these three forums are "varied" when they are merely different sides of the same object. And RFA factors in there somewhere as well.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
:human being: could have a use if it included text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Silver2195 posted:

It sees some use, but mostly in situations where :swoon: would fit just as well.

Its a :swoon: :allears: mashup with an inside joke thrown in.

My favorite thing was when :smith: was first bought and somebody said "yeah but nobody is gonna use it"

Oh how wrong they were :unsmigghh: