Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Glengarry Glen Ross just showed up on Instant. If you haven't seen it, or more likely if you only know it for Alec Baldwin's famous monologue at the beginning, you should definitely see what you've missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

I disagree on the Small Potatoes only being for sports fans. I could care less about sports and it was one of my favorites. I thought it was hilarious and I learned my town had a USFL team, and after they disbanded it returned my towns professional sports franchises down to 0. Another reason to hate the guy who destroyed USFL.

EDIT: It's comming back! http://www.theusfl.net/index.php

Jordan Rides the Bus is also a good one that should be enjoyed by all, it likes two television shows crammed into one, on one hand is a very solemn story about one guy dealing with the death of his father and trying to accomplish what he thinks will make him proud. On the other hand he is the most famous sport stars on earth and it's almost a sitcom how much he transforms everything around him by his mere presence.

I think Kings Random was one of the most boring pieces of poo poo out there, apparently some Canadian moved to California and they didn't like it, that's it, no plot, no conflict, no attempt to get him back, just and hour long of Canadians bitching a moaning.

Mrens fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 15, 2012

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Erebus posted:

Glengarry Glen Ross just showed up on Instant. If you haven't seen it, or more likely if you only know it for Alec Baldwin's famous monologue at the beginning, you should definitely see what you've missed.

It has such incredible dialog. Every character is exquisite and chews through their scenes. Jack Lemon especially owns.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I've seen almost every ESPN Films doc from the 30 for 30 series and the docs produced after that are now on Netflix.

Thanks for this. I don't really follow sports but I've watched a few of the ones you recommended the last couple of days, really liked them and queued up some others to watch as well.

The Two Escobars was absolutely fantastic, I agree. Such a kick in the gut to see how the two men's respective rises and falls made and broke Colombian soccer in their own ways..

June 17th, 1994 was great too - I'd never realized there were so many significant sports-related events occurring on that day besides the infamous OJ chase. The format of no narration or commentary and simply editing together actual news footage was executed amazingly well.

Muhammad and Larry was also quite good but a hell of a downer. I'm not a boxing person, but of course Muhammad Ali is a legend and it was crushing to see some footage of the actual fight.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Erebus posted:

Saw it for the first time last night and was blown away. I really loved the scenes Kevin Spacey and Jack Lemon had together. Just the way Jack Lemmon oozed failure and desperation from every pore was incredible.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Filthy Hans posted:

Why in the world would Netflix stream part 3 of The Pusher Trilogy without also streaming the first two parts? I can't get enough of Refn's work, but there's no way I'd break sequence on a trilogy unless there's no continuity between parts - there's no need to see Park Chan-Wook's Vengeance Trilogy, for example. Even in that case Netflix has all three parts, which are excellent (Lady Vengeance is probably my favorite Korean movie at the moment, and I've been on a kick recently).

I want more Refn!

If you have Amazon Prime, they have Pusher 1, 2 and 3 on streaming for free. From what I understand, they're not sequels, so it should be okay to watch them out of order.

quote:

Small Potatoes

Having watched this and being a lifelong NJ resident, I think it's safe to say that Donald Trump ruins everything he touches.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Volume posted:

I know goons like to hate everything that Comedy Central does but The Roast of William Shatner is loving hilarious.

I have a soft spot for roasts, they pop up quite a bit on Netflix. Some are much better than others but they're still entertaining.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I hadn't seen The Faculty since it used to play on TNT all the time back in the day. Watched it yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I also had no idea that Robert Rodriguez directed it. If you're looking for a horror movie that is soaked in late 90's atmosphere, give it a watch. At the very least, you'll be entertained by the sheer amount of "holy poo poo, that actor is in this?!" that occurs.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Worst Case Ontario posted:

I hadn't seen The Faculty since it used to play on TNT all the time back in the day. Watched it yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I also had no idea that Robert Rodriguez directed it. If you're looking for a horror movie that is soaked in late 90's atmosphere, give it a watch. At the very least, you'll be entertained by the sheer amount of "holy poo poo, that actor is in this?!" that occurs.

Elijah looked so loving young in that movie. I did like that movie, although the twists were fairly predictable.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm watching Mad Men episode "Hands and Knees" and where Roger should be shouting "You hosed up!", the last two words are muted out. Is there a setting I have to change or is this a new change?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm watching Mad Men episode "Hands and Knees" and where Roger should be shouting "You hosed up!", the last two words are muted out. Is there a setting I have to change or is this a new change?
Nope, that was a network decision to bleep that out. I remember seeing that episode when it aired and they decided to err on the side of caution I guess.

Talks To Cats
Jan 7, 2012
I hate my job and I hate you, but I'll put up with my job because it makes me a shit-ton of money. I can tell you how to do the same...but you won't listen.

I support charity:water with my erotica charity bundles. Water changes everything.

Benny the Snake posted:

It's said in season five and not bleeped on Amazon Instant Video, for what that's worth. Maybe Netflix got the wrong version of that episode by accident. The intent was to bleep it during the broadcast but leave it in for other versions since Mad Men has a large DVD/streaming audience.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Talks To Cats posted:

It's said in season five and not bleeped on Amazon Instant Video, for what that's worth. Maybe Netflix got the wrong version of that episode by accident. The intent was to bleep it during the broadcast but leave it in for other versions since Mad Men has a large DVD/streaming audience.
Oh weird, I didn't know that. I also bought it through Itunes and it was bleeped there as well.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Has Bela Tarr's The Turin Horse been mentioned in the thread yet? Its an incredibly bleak and slow film, worth watching just for the cinematography but it's some powerful stuff if you can stick with it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I finally did get around to watching Affliction. If you haven't seen it, do so.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

red19fire posted:

Having watched this and being a lifelong NJ resident, I think it's safe to say that Donald Trump ruins everything he touches.

I can agree with this. I was in Trump Plaza earlier this month for a bachelor party and everything was pretty still stuck in the 80s/early 90s. It was like they weren't even trying to update anything. Then again anything in Atlantic City has improved since the time of Boardwalk Empire.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Talks To Cats posted:

It just depends whether the version Netflix got was censored or not. IIRC Archer season 2 doesn't bleep out anything but season 1 does. I'd expect something similar for Mad Men if that was the case.

Also, how long after the DCD release do AMC shows come up on Instant? Mad Men season 5 comes to DVD in late October. Will it be up on Instant then or do we have to wait til season 6 comes on TV?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

meanolmrcloud posted:

Has Bela Tarr's The Turin Horse been mentioned in the thread yet? Its an incredibly bleak and slow film, worth watching just for the cinematography but it's some powerful stuff if you can stick with it.

Should I be more familiar with Tarr's filmography before watching this, or is it an okay starting point?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

SRM posted:

It just depends whether the version Netflix got was censored or not. IIRC Archer season 2 doesn't bleep out anything but season 1 does. I'd expect something similar for Mad Men if that was the case.

Also, how long after the DCD release do AMC shows come up on Instant? Mad Men season 5 comes to DVD in late October. Will it be up on Instant then or do we have to wait til season 6 comes on TV?
Yeah, it depends on the show. I know that when they say gently caress on Breaking Bad it was censored on the broadcast AND the DVDs, but it's not on Netflix.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Dammit. Netflix's version of both How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman? and The Red and The White are screwed up. Frenchman has no sound and The Red and the White has a screwed up aspect ratio with awful subtitles.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Should I be more familiar with Tarr's filmography before watching this, or is it an okay starting point?

I haven't seen it yet, but people say it's the most extreme version of his style, so it's possibly not the best jumping-on point. I'd recommend Werckmeister Harmonies to begin with, and I've also seen others recommend Damnation (which I also haven't seen).

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

TrixRabbi posted:

It is very representative of his style. You'll know from the first 2 scenes if you'll be able to enjoy it. For a sense of the pace, the movie is composed of 30 perfectly choreographed, blocked, shot and acted scenes that have to to have an average length of 8 or so minutes.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Are there any good things dealing with philosophy or related subjects? I remember there was a Joseph Campbell documentary on there a while back, but I'm not sure if it's still there.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Are there any good things dealing with philosophy or related subjects? I remember there was a Joseph Campbell documentary on there a while back, but I'm not sure if it's still there.
Agora is about philosophy. Kind of. More so than a Joseph Campbell documentary at least.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Riki-Oh (The Story of Ricky) is on instant. It's an insanely violent, campy, Chinese B-movie. One scene of a dude getting his skull crushed was a fixture on The Daily Show back in the Craig Kilborn era.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I've just been watching some of the ESPN films discussed. The one on Marques Dupree is really good.

I'm old so I actually kind of grew up with this and remember Dupree being some kind of god of football at Oklahoma but not the details, and not what became of him.

The footage of his high school and college play are unreal, he really was some kind of golden god. It's not even that he had any kind of fancy moves like a Barry Sanders or Reggie Bush to beat people. He didn't need to, he was just both faster and stronger than them. They either couldn't catch him, or if they could but could only get an arm on him, they didn't have a prayer and would just bounce off him. Unbelievable.

I really recommend "The Marinovich Project" also. I don't think it's actually one of the 30 in 30 films (doesn't have the red ticket logo) but it's great.

This is one of the few documentaries that totally changed the way I viewed its subject. I also grew up with this Todd Marinovich story, and kind of hated the guy, both because he played for the teams I hated (USC, Raiders) but also the RoboQB hype around him made me assume he was some kind of insufferable douche, and I gloried in his downfall.

A good portion of the film is Todd being interviewed and speaking about his experiences, and he immediately comes across with such intelligence, honesty and personal warmth that I was completely won over and sympathetic and open to hear the story from his point of view. It's pretty fascinating, a story of a kid raised in scientific lab rat conditions to be the Ultimate (whatever - in this case a football quarterback but there are other examples in golf, tennis and chess from recent decades), but after achieving the earliest parts of that arc of fame and greatness, decides he's accomplished all he wants or needs out of that world.

I just find Todd the person to be very human and compelling. If you are familiar at all with his story you should watch it but I think most anyone would enjoy it.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

red19fire posted:

Riki-Oh (The Story of Ricky) is on instant. It's an insanely violent, campy, Chinese B-movie. One scene of a dude getting his skull crushed was a fixture on The Daily Show back in the Craig Kilborn era.

Nobody should die without seeing Riki-Oh. It's amazing.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

hypersleep posted:

Nobody should die without seeing Riki-Oh. It's amazing.

I've never seen it before. This final fight scene is like Dead Alive in its gore factor.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

red19fire posted:

I've never seen it before. This final fight scene is like Dead Alive in its gore factor.

A prison warden must be the very best at kung fu.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Sadly, I'm nearing the end of the run of Louie on streaming, and I need more. Any other recommendations? I love his pessimistic hopelessness and how he uses others around him to show the "message", and the complete realism and contrast in many of the scenes. Yes I've seen his standups (which ironically I don't like as much as the show itself) and please don't recommend Peep Show.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Sadly, I'm nearing the end of the run of Louie on streaming, and I need more. Any other recommendations?

Well, season 1 of the FX version of Wilfred just went up, so there's always that. They're good enough to be together on real television, anyway.

e: "of" :bang:

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 18, 2012

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EasyEW posted:

Well, season 1 the FX version of Wilfred just went up, so there's always that. They're good enough to be together on real television, anyway.

I've been waiting forever for this! You've made my day!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

EasyEW posted:

Well, season 1 the FX version of Wilfred just went up, so there's always that. They're good enough to be together on real television, anyway.

"For once in your life be a man and poo poo in that boot!"

Okay I'm pretty much hooked. Great recommendation, thanks.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Sadly, I'm nearing the end of the run of Louie on streaming, and I need more. Any other recommendations? I love his pessimistic hopelessness and how he uses others around him to show the "message", and the complete realism and contrast in many of the scenes. Yes I've seen his standups (which ironically I don't like as much as the show itself) and please don't recommend Peep Show.
Party Down appears not to be streaming anymore, but if it comes back, that's perfect.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Old Woody Allen movies

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

There was some talk a week or so ago about documentaries about homosexuality and politics/religion, and I just restumbled upon the name of one that I think everyone should watch, even if you're not really interested in the topic.

It's called We Were Here and it's about the start of the AIDS epidemic in the 1980s in San Francisco. It is absolutely soul crushing but it's really well made and it's a really important piece of history that I don't think many people know very much about. Most people probably know that AIDS was originally considered a gay only disease and didn't really gain traction until it started infecting heterosexuals, but they probably aren't aware of just how much of a systemic and societal failure the initial response to AIDS was and how many people needlessly died because of it.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Examined Life is a collection of interviews with contemporary, well-known philosophy writers about issues that they consider important. It's a mishmash of different thinkers and philosophical concepts so it has good segments and some dull ones, but it's worth watching for Cornel West and Peter Singer alone, in my opinion.

Other than that there's basically TED talks. It's not a very popular subject to make a film about.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Party Down appears not to be streaming anymore, but if it comes back, that's perfect.

Their contract with Starz expired and will likely never be renewed, sadly.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Finally watched Goon today and I was sorry I did not watch it sooner. Definitely was not what I was expecting and I highly recommend it. Beware though it is nowhere near a family film as it has an extreme amount of vulgar language.

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves
Anyone have any good horror movie recs? I've found the streaming selection to be pretty lackluster

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Stuntastic posted:

Anyone have any good horror movie recs? I've found the streaming selection to be pretty lackluster

Yeah, the decent to poo poo ratio is pretty bad. Going to assume you've watched the standards like Insidious and Let The Right One In. I also don't watch torture porn or ghost movies because I don't think they're scary or entertaining. I've watched a good portion of the horror movies on Netflix and this is about all I would recommend.

The Reef - Great shark movie, really suspenseful
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - Not amazing and kinda slow, but decently creepy
Shiver - Really great subtitled horror movie about a feral child
Werewolf Hunter - Not really a horror movie, but a decent period drama about a serial killer that has the worst example I've ever seen of a cover failing to represent the film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Stuntastic posted:

I'm pretty sure I said this the last time someone asked, but it's still true: If you like horror, you need to watch House of the Devil.

• Locked thread