Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Scored an old-timey diving suit minifig at TRU today. I love the expression on his face: " :haw: "

He came with an extra little grey 1x1 brick that I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with, though.

He should have come with two of those. They're the weights that go on the bottom of his feet so he can sink.

Check out Death Springs, my free webcomic updated every Thursday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

AzMiLion posted:

It appears to be the megabloks halo tank and banshee?

Correct! I like halo so I let some of those in. Also some of the old Mega Bloks Dragons base plates are awesome for displaying minifigs.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Series 8 minifigs have appeared at Fred Meyer stores. The store in Bonney Lake had around 9 boxes. 7 opened, one by the toys checkout counter, and the rest with the rest of the Lego. I grabbed one of the sealed boxes and checked the weekly ad--20% off toys with no limit! Knocked $36 off my bill.

The Puyallup store on River Road didn't have any minifigures, anywhere, that I could see.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
No Series 8 at my SoCal Lego store; are these other retailers just breaking street date or is Lego really the slowest to get their own stuff? :(

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ville Valo posted:

No Series 8 at my SoCal Lego store; are these other retailers just breaking street date or is Lego really the slowest to get their own stuff? :(

Lego stores are often the last to get the latest releases. I assume it's because Lego chooses to fulfill orders for toy and department stores first, since there's so many more of them than Lego stores.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Ville Valo posted:

Lego stores put stuff out when they are supposed to be released because they are owned by The Lego Group. Other stores can break dates because they aren't owned by Lego.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Is it A or B? Person 1: "A" Person 2: "B" :mad:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I've found some monster hunters stuff going cheap but it all looks a little weak, except for the hearse which looks rad. Can anyone confirm or deny it's radness? I also got the swamp set just for the lagoon creature, he's great.

e: caved and got it, the hearse is indeed rad.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 17, 2012

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Ville Valo posted:

youareoffthehook posted:

Lego stores put stuff out when they are supposed to be released because they are owned by The Lego Group. Other stores can break dates because they aren't owned by Lego.

It's most likely this. It only takes one store to break embargo and they all will. Nobody wants to be sitting on stock while your competition is selling it. Also, from what I understand, if a store is fined for breaking embargo, it'll only happen for the first store to do so (if applicable).

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Ville Valo posted:

I'm in San Diego for a trip and went to the store in Fashion Valley. They said they won't sell them until Sept. 1st. I was bummed by the news, but was able to pick up the LEGO bride and groom, so not a total loss.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ville Valo posted:

Person 2 works at a Lego store, so I'd value her explanation than mine. :)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lizard Combatant posted:

I've found some monster hunters stuff going cheap but it all looks a little weak, except for the hearse which looks rad. Can anyone confirm or deny it's radness? I also got the swamp set just for the lagoon creature, he's great.

Every monster fighters set is rad.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Pyroclastic posted:

Series 8 minifigs have appeared at Fred Meyer stores. The store in Bonney Lake had around 9 boxes. 7 opened, one by the toys checkout counter, and the rest with the rest of the Lego. I grabbed one of the sealed boxes and checked the weekly ad--20% off toys with no limit! Knocked $36 off my bill.

The Puyallup store on River Road didn't have any minifigures, anywhere, that I could see.

If you're interested in selling a complete set of them once you open them up let me know. I'm tired of trying to guess getting them all and just want complete sets :)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lizard Combatant posted:

Isn't this stuff brand new? Who is selling it for cheap already?

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I finally got and put together the technic jet plane - the quite big red one. It was an ok build and it certainly looks impressive. But probably not as fun as the quad bike which I really liked the suspension on it. Makes me think that cars are probably more fun to build in technic than flying vehicles. In saying that, a technic helicopter might have some neat things so I might try that next. The function to open the planes cockpit is a bit crap but I like how the wheels drop down and I have no idea how it ended up that the gear stick controls the rear wings. There were times when I was building that it simply made no sense at all to me, with things loose for a while. But it came together at the end.

Wouldn't mind trying to get the power functions remote control 4x4. That could be a lot of fun.

Thanks, will try the helicopter then.
vvvvvvvvvvvvv

Wank fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 17, 2012

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The plane was a bit of a disappointment, I was hoping for more.
The crawler doesn't have alot of functions, basicly all it has is steering / driving. The doors open and the top flips up but those aren't controlled by gears/springs. Still awesome to drive around.
The helicoptor has landing gear, rotors, ramp, and winch all controlled by a central gearbox. I liked its build more than the crawler, the crawler seems to be a standard technic car just with more powerful motors, this has a couple of cool ideas.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The helicopter also has a functioning collective on both the A and B model, which is I think a first for Lego. What it does is, a little lever down by the cockpit changes the pitch of the main rotor blades for more/less lift. Getting it to work is why the rotor hub is so huge.

The old studded-beam rescue helicopter had a rotor hub which could be tilted in any direction, controlled by a stick in the cockpit and run through flex cables. 11 year old me thought that was the neatest thing ever. It was only recently that I learned real helicopters mostly don't work like that for a lot of good reasons.

And now I'm wondering how feasible it would be to combine the two control schemes to produce a main rotor that actually worked the way it should - a stick in the cockpit tilts a swash plate (or something like it) below the rotor, that changes the pitch of each blade as it comes around the hub, to produce more or less lift in a given direction and tilt the entire bird one way or another; plus a collective lever to raise or lower the swash plate and increase or decrease lift as a whole.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Picked up series 8 at a Toys R Us in Gateway, but it seems like it had been picked over already. Still, they're selling in Austin now so heads up.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Travis343 posted:

Every monster fighters set is rad.

The monsters themselves are all great but the humans and their vehicles are so drat ugly, except for the sports car in the castle set and the crossbow lady. I really wanted the graveyard set for the awesome zombie figs but what the hell is that stupid hammer truck? And the tomb itself was pretty poorly designed. The hearse is great though and will look good parked out front of the haunted house.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Isn't this stuff brand new? Who is selling it for cheap already?

I wouldn't be too jealous, it's Australia so it was probably the same price as you pay retail. I don't think it was a national sale, I walked into a random Big W here and they had everything at about 15% less.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lizard Combatant posted:

The monsters themselves are all great but the humans and their vehicles are so drat ugly, except for the sports car in the castle set and the crossbow lady.

Man I've got to disagree, I'm a huge fan of the Monster Fighters themselves. They've got this amazing pulp movie feel to them. The dude in the bowler hat with the robot leg and the fencing foil? The 19th century British huntsman with the gold-plated blunderbuss? The smug, Top-Gun-style guy in the sleeveless vest and the massive pompadour? They're like a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen except they're not like, based on literature or anything like that. And they have the best names. Frank Rock, Major Quentin Steele, Jack McHammer. Normally I hate when Lego takes the imagination out of their sets by going so far as to name the minifigs and create little stories around them, but these guys are just the best.

I'm really hoping the line sticks around for another wave. I want a Phantom of the Opera set. Or how cool would a little Invisible Man be - cast in trans-clear plastic, with an alternate bandaged up head?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Travis343 posted:

Man I've got to disagree, I'm a huge fan of the Monster Fighters themselves. They've got this amazing pulp movie feel to them. The dude in the bowler hat with the robot leg and the fencing foil? The 19th century British huntsman with the gold-plated blunderbuss? The smug, Top-Gun-style guy in the sleeveless vest and the massive pompadour? They're like a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen except they're not like, based on literature or anything like that. And they have the best names. Frank Rock, Major Quentin Steele, Jack McHammer. Normally I hate when Lego takes the imagination out of their sets by going so far as to name the minifigs and create little stories around them, but these guys are just the best.

I'm really hoping the line sticks around for another wave. I want a Phantom of the Opera set. Or how cool would a little Invisible Man be - cast in trans-clear plastic, with an alternate bandaged up head?

I hope the line continues too and your ideas would be great, especially the invisible man. In retrospect I guess my biggest gripe is with the zombies set. I was looking forward to that one when it was announced and was really disappointed with the finished product. That said, all of the monsters are great, I'm probably going to get them all off bricklink. I love the Creature from the Black Lagoon fig, so glad it was just a little set. Actually, the range of set sizes in the monster hunters had been very good and paying non licence prices is nice too.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lizard Combatant posted:

The monsters themselves are all great but the humans and their vehicles are so drat ugly, except for the sports car in the castle set and the crossbow lady. I really wanted the graveyard set for the awesome zombie figs but what the hell is that stupid hammer truck? And the tomb itself was pretty poorly designed. The hearse is great though and will look good parked out front of the haunted house.

I wouldn't be too jealous, it's Australia so it was probably the same price as you pay retail. I don't think it was a national sale, I walked into a random Big W here and they had everything at about 15% less.

Ah I see. Would it be culturally insensitive to suggest Aussie Goons to get an Australian gang tag, as it trips up many discussion both here and in Traditional Games threads when you folks talk prices.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Ah I see. Would it be culturally insensitive to suggest Aussie Goons to get an Australian gang tag, as it trips up many discussion both here and in Traditional Games threads when you folks talk prices.

Hah, the nerve. Just take comfort in knowing that whenever you're momentarily confused by some ridiculous price - you won't be the one paying it.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9hnHPCMOY4

I'm not too sure how I feel about them using the voices rather than the weird sound effects that they've had in the previous games, but I will still play the hell out of it.

Also:

Indolent Bastard posted:

Would it be culturally insensitive to suggest Aussie Goons to get an Australian gang ta

Yes, the rest of the world exists. You'll just need to factor it in, like every non-American does on the internet.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

mirthdefect posted:

Yes, the rest of the world exists. You'll just need to factor it in, like every not-Australian does on the internet.

Fixed

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mirthdefect posted:

Anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9hnHPCMOY4

I'm not too sure how I feel about them using the voices rather than the weird sound effects that they've had in the previous games, but I will still play the hell out of it.

They already had voices in Lego Batman 2, and it was so much better than the gibberish talk from previous games. They could actually have a unique story for once instead of pantomiming a preexisting movie or tv show.

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004
A newbie to this thread, I have been itching to build some Lego stuff after being in a Lego store at the mall near me lately, and ended up buying the Creator Propeller Adventures to satisfy me.
Well it's built and played with a bunch now and... I want more.

I had a bunch of Legos as a kid and need to retrieve them from my parents basement sometime, but there are a few other sets I'm considering in the meantime. I mostly like cars, aircraft, and spacecraft for reference, especially things with lots of cool little details like moving parts, hidden or retractable stuff, etc.

The Creator Cool Cruiser and Blue Roadster look neat but not really much in the way of detail (or other stuff they include instructions to make). The Technic Supercar looks neat, but is on the expensive side plus it'd just remind me that I want one of the old out of print Technic Ferrari cars. The Technic Jet Plane looks pretty awesome too, but someone in the last few pages said it was a tad unremarkable.
What I'm more interested in though is the Star Wars Republic Crusier. I hate the new Star Wars movies, but the design reminded me a lot of Blockade Runner from A New Hope but sleeker. Unfortunately it was a limited edition thing and not cheap to get now. There's a Republic Frigate which is pretty similar in design although with some stupid minifig characters I've never heard of and in a boring grey color instead of red. Has anyone built this, and if so do you have any thoughts on it?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Tighran posted:

A newbie to this thread, I have been itching to build some Lego stuff after being in a Lego store at the mall near me lately, and ended up buying the Creator Propeller Adventures to satisfy me.
Well it's built and played with a bunch now and... I want more.

I had a bunch of Legos as a kid and need to retrieve them from my parents basement sometime, but there are a few other sets I'm considering in the meantime. I mostly like cars, aircraft, and spacecraft for reference, especially things with lots of cool little details like moving parts, hidden or retractable stuff, etc.

The Creator Cool Cruiser and Blue Roadster look neat but not really much in the way of detail (or other stuff they include instructions to make). The Technic Supercar looks neat, but is on the expensive side plus it'd just remind me that I want one of the old out of print Technic Ferrari cars. The Technic Jet Plane looks pretty awesome too, but someone in the last few pages said it was a tad unremarkable.
What I'm more interested in though is the Star Wars Republic Crusier. I hate the new Star Wars movies, but the design reminded me a lot of Blockade Runner from A New Hope but sleeker. Unfortunately it was a limited edition thing and not cheap to get now. There's a Republic Frigate which is pretty similar in design although with some stupid minifig characters I've never heard of and in a boring grey color instead of red. Has anyone built this, and if so do you have any thoughts on it?

I think the actual Tantive IV blockade runner should still be easy enough to find for retail price if you check eBay or specialty stores. It's pretty slick. Hope it hasn't become impossible to get lately and I'm cruelly getting your hopes up. Best of luck.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Was there any actual gameplay in that trailer?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tighran posted:

Has anyone built this, and if so do you have any thoughts on it?

I have this and it's the only thing besides the Lunar Limo (which you need to get right now) that I've put stickers on because it is amazing and I will never take it apart. The build is fun, but the massing when it's done is a little weird. It always seems about to fall over.

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

I think the actual Tantive IV blockade runner should still be easy enough to find for retail price if you check eBay or specialty stores. It's pretty slick. Hope it hasn't become impossible to get lately and I'm cruelly getting your hopes up. Best of luck.

Thanks, but I'm not actually interested in the Blockade Runner. I liked it a lot when I was younger and have a non-Lego model of it, but my tastes seem to have changed and I like the sleeker Republic Cruiser more now, but I like how you can see the similarities in them (both being of Corellian manufacture, to nerd out about it). I did a little more research and the awesome red Cruiser has some pop-out lasers or something which is pretty awesome, but on amazon it seems to be about $200. The Frigate I think lacks those but seems like is actually something one can find for MSRP. I'm just afraid I'll have buyer's remorse for it not being the one I really want.

rickiep00h posted:

Lunar Limo

Holy crap, Space Police III? This might work for me instead! I remember having some of the Space Police I and II sets as a kid and they were pretty badass. The weird uhh... creatures like the shark person with the Lunar Limo that I seem to see a lot now haven't really done it for me but I guess that's just part of the direction they're going. I'll definitely have a look at the other Space Police III models though, thanks!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

smackfu posted:

Was there any actual gameplay in that trailer?

Why would there be? It's the same LEGO game they've been making for years.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Saw this on Deviantart today, it's pretty loving incredible.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
Found season 8 at the Toys R Us in Baton Rouge. Got a full set and all the extras I wanted...except somehow managed 3 fairies instead of 1 and 2 footballers.

v Thought I was the only one! :respek:

Huge Fucker Bitch fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 19, 2012

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

IGNORE MY POSTS posted:

Found season 8 at the Toys R Us in Baton Rouge. Got a full set and all the extras I wanted...except somehow managed 3 fairies instead of 1 and 2 footballers.

225 represent! :hfive:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Earth Defense HQ for £55?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

The_Doctor posted:

Earth Defense HQ for £55?

Where?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My local toy store.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Visited the Brighton Lego store today, and became aware of the Sith Fury Interceptor being Lego-ized, which I've wanted since mucking around in the ship in TOR. Could someone link that site that let's you find where kits are cheapest? I'm sure Lego stores are the most expensive but I don't get why they don't put prices on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BizarroAzrael posted:

Visited the Brighton Lego store today, and became aware of the Sith Fury Interceptor being Lego-ized, which I've wanted since mucking around in the ship in TOR. Could someone link that site that let's you find where kits are cheapest? I'm sure Lego stores are the most expensive but I don't get why they don't put prices on anything.

They do, they're all on the bottom of the box for some reason though.