Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Im gonna try UB at least I have a Kraken.
18/12?
Round 1 over. Game 1 was a surviving long enough for sands to matter. Game 2 was drop Jace.
Edit2: Lost 0-2 in the finals, losing game one by drawing all my lands but one and losing game 2 by one turn.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Sands and Jace combined in a 4 pack sealed is pretty much unbeatable. Barring a good shufflefucking that is!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

LeafHouse posted:

Sands and Jace combined in a 4 pack sealed is pretty much unbeatable. Barring a good shufflefucking that is!
:tipshat:

Was my first shot at the format and it was pretty fun, probably because I opened those two haymakers. Winning 2 rounds to get 3 packs is solid too.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

I absolutely love this format and cannot stop drafting it.

There were highs, there were lows, there was bad art. Made me feel like drawing again. :3:

rinski fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 18, 2012

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Tough break on those lands. That was painful.

thewhitehand
Sep 11, 2008
Did a draft earlier today where I mulled to 5 both games in match one.

5 cards I kept(both games): Chronomaton, Flinthoof boar x 2, Mountain, Forest

Sometimes it feels like the modo shuffler hates you and then when you are about to give up on modo forever it gives you the reacharound you deserve.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Yea, Im super happy with this format. It might be a little on the tame side, but its always fun and seems very balanced.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
There are so many playable cards and so many viable color combos, and somehow it still feels like a core set. It's gotta be the best one they've shipped.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Help!

http://i49.tinypic.com/2qs2d6b.png
(How do I link without breaking tables?)

Should I be splashing the white?

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's.

Phiberoptik posted:

Help!

Probably not. Serra Angel will be very hard to cast since she costs WW.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Phiberoptik posted:

Help!

Yeah, let the white go. Fire Elemental is extremely playable, as is Goblin Arsonist. Past there the choices are pretty bad (extra Canyon Minotaurs/Vastwood Gorgers) but they are probably better than janking your mana, at least in my book.

Use timg to link without breaking tables.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I waffled between going to bed because I have a really long workday tomorrow, and going ahead and doing another 4 pack sealed because I love m13.

Double Rancor, double Visionary, Ajani, O-Ring, Verdict, Pacifism, Sands of Delirium pool. If I don't 3-0 this I won't be surprised but I will be very disappointed.

edit: Chronomaton is so freaking good.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 18, 2012

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

rinski posted:

So I thought this was an interesting pick:

Given what I've already drafted, what do YOU guys think is the optimal pick here?

Edit: I should probably tell you guys what I did pick and why.
I took the Serra Spider. I already had two Prey Upon and didn't have a ton against fliers. I think Primal Huntbeast is good, and I was tempted to take it because he's solid and on curve, but with I just feel like Spider does more. I'm not sure if the second Packleader does enough to merit running another 5-drop. I ended up tabling the Prey Upon and didn't even end up playing it because I also wound up with another Recluse and Giant Scorpion. Also, I won the draft because I am the best at this format.

Hmm, what is that I see in your three-drop slot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsj2_6_z3Vo

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Phiberoptik posted:

Help!

Use [timg] instead of [img]

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Team USA Memorial Draft(s) starring Jet Set and MarchHare and Octoberfest beer in august.

https://www.twitch.tv/jetsetjettison

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Team USA Memorial Draft(s) starring Jet Set and MarchHare and Octoberfest beer in august.

https://www.twitch.tv/jetsetjettison

In which Index is played, Deadly Recluse is Tricks of the Traded, and a turn one Bond Beetle is Tricks of the Traded twice.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

That savvy beetle's crush was watching the stream and was SUPER impressed. :wink:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

rinski posted:

That savvy beetle's crush was watching the stream and was SUPER impressed. :wink:

Nice. Nice.

What's the cheap way to stream I need to embarrass myself.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

I am watching Jet Set Jettison's stream and was so excited that I started drafting myself. Mediocre P1P1 I took the Spelltwine, got a few random cards like Essence Drain and started drifting towards BR with no real focus, but then P2P1 came Tal'Rand and suddenly I was drafting a really sweet deck. I will probably not win poo poo with it but it's extremely fun looking.

e: why am I so bad at thumbnails :(

e2: keep 3 lander, draw 0 land until turn 8 with 18 land, get crushed. game 2, keep 4 land 6 after 0 land 7, get my second spell countered, draw 6 consecutive land. gently caress.

Daunte Vicknabb fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 19, 2012

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

Nice. Nice.

What's the cheap way to stream I need to embarrass myself.
You should! It's fun.

Use LiveStream. It comes with free software but you can't do anything fancy. I wrote about a few options earlier.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Your crush is watching the stream and doesnt like you any more :colbert:

Also, mono green 8-4 didnt go as well as it could have :(

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

What did we learn today folks?
  • All the m13 red X spells are instants.
  • Jace.
  • Make sure to draft forests to turn on Ranger's Path.
  • Lists are hard.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

To break core set boredom, we did Zendikar again last night. Went 3-0 with UR tempo (ie as many Welkin Terns and Geopedes as I could get plus some burn and bounce and a Cancel.)

Being able to use Scalding Tarn for manafixing and instant-speed landfall was pretty boss.

Welp that's my story.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Snacksmaniac posted:

What did we learn today folks?
  • All the m13 red X spells are instants.
  • Jace.
  • Make sure to draft forests to turn on Ranger's Path.
  • Lists are hard.

Man I'm still pretty sure that dude cheated to make his X spells instant speed...

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Reminder, always give your opponent the chance to lose the match he was winning already:

Game 3, opponent had seen zero cards from my deck that could handle the Hydra once it went to 8 counters and beyond. I had none (Murder, Public Execution) in the deck, if opponent would have just waited one doubling more there was nothing I could have done to live with 33 trample damage coming through.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
e: nvm

RyceCube fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 19, 2012

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Depressing: Drafting a dual murder, dual searing spear, dual prey upon GB Bolas deck and having the client crash and corrupt the install when I submit the deck.

It was going to be so much stupid fun. :(

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Let's try an M13 draft!

Edit: done for the night, but here's the list I ended up winning with. I don't normally post them, but the deck just turned out so differently than what I'm used to drafting. It didn't seem like it had enough to get there.

This deck kinda solidified my love of Tricks of the Trade. Card is crazy good, even against decks with removal; you just need to be mindful of when you play them and on what. For those who didn't watch the stream, it might seem weird to run two in such a creature light deck. My rationale is that you're going to need to stretch the few creatures you have pretty far. Of course, you need guys who are going to give you value for that initial hit, to mitigate removal. Sunstriker and Scroll Thief have been pretty decent Trick-bearers for me, and Primal Huntbeast is obviously a really solid option. This deck really could've used a Huntbeast or two, but somehow managed regardless.

rinski fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 20, 2012

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Lunael posted:

Reminder, always give your opponent the chance to lose the match he was winning already:

Game 3, opponent had seen zero cards from my deck that could handle the Hydra once it went to 8 counters and beyond. I had none (Murder, Public Execution) in the deck, if opponent would have just waited one doubling more there was nothing I could have done to live with 33 trample damage coming through.

Wait, is this guy seriously swinging into you for non-lethal while you have a deathtouch blocker? I don't even...

Did you ask him why after?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

BambooEarpick posted:

Wait, is this guy seriously swinging into you for non-lethal while you have a deathtouch blocker? I don't even...

Did you ask him why after?

Yup, that he did. Didn't ask.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Living the dream against a much better built exalted/life gain deck.

He had a Crusader of Odric with a Mark of the Vampire and Divine Favor that I chumped blocked with a goblin for like 10 turns before he dropped Serra Avatar. It looked unwinnable, and then...

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

I could play any of these colours. Going red/white; red's got removal, white's got Ajani/Serra Angel, splashing Essence Drain. Might regret these choices.

e: yeah that was a horriblemistake

flyingkiwi fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 20, 2012

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Trumpet blast is disgustingly good. Went 3-1-1 in my draft tonight on the Krenko's commands, attended knights, reckless brutes and 2 trumpet blast plan (the right amount). Won every round 2-0, except for the loss to excessive mulligan and mana-screw, and the intentional draw against the double stormtide leviathan deck that had been to my right in the original pod. Somebody else opened double hellkite and still managed to take a loss to the arctic aven/healer of the pride deck. Good times.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I recall Ashenai recommended playing sealed a little bit back. Don't do it. In my experience, sealed is a death trap in which you lose to whatever lucky soul managed to open good stuff (since it sure isn't you!)

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Is deliberate slow play on MTGO a thing? Like to make your opposition punt.

I did a sealed today and my last opponent was not hitting the submit button when side boarding. THREE mins every game. Then he crack a fetch then search for like a min every time. Simple F6 situations would take mins each time he had to pass. The when the last turn hit he played as normal pace.

I am glad I beat him. So is this a thing or was he just drafting in another window?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

ScottyJSno posted:

I am glad I beat him. So is this a thing or was he just drafting in another window?

Sounds to me like he was multitabling. You occasionally run into those.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Yeah, for some the action and excitement of one Magic tournament is simply not enough: some thrill-seeking wizards will sign up for multiple at once!

Concentration and mindfulness are for scrubs. :smug:

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Are there any new streamers out there that are any good? I haven't been watching in a while, and I noticed that there's a whole slew of new names. Sometimes I'd rather watch someone else play.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Jon Loucks, co-host of the Limited Resources podcast, does draft streams on a pretty regular basis and they're always entertaining. You can find his stream at https://www.twitch.tv/loucksj.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I recall Ashenai recommended playing sealed a little bit back. Don't do it. In my experience, sealed is a death trap in which you lose to whatever lucky soul managed to open good stuff (since it sure isn't you!)

Sealed is a worse format than draft in terms of fun IMO, but I'm sure Ashenai recommended sealed because the EV for release sealeds and 4-pack sealeds is better than drafting.