Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I cant rhyme posted:

So I have been trying to follow the advice in this thread. I had a major problem with my website which is causing me to have to do the entire thing over again. Any thing I am missing? It's about trying to live high fructose corn syrup free. This is my blog: Bye, Fructose

Super quick ideas:

• Lose the social bookmarks on the homepage. You don't need them on the front page, have them on the posts and content only. No one is going to share an article they haven't read yet. I would do a single line of the most popular sharing options (fb, twitter, maybe sumbleupon and pinterest) and put it right under your article title, somewhere before your main post begins.
  • There's no ads on your homepage. Put a nice square ad on the right at the top above the search box. I would try a header ad up top if you can as well
  • Your site seems perfect for some Amazon ads. Explore those more. Books and sugar substitute foods would work well. Skimlinks would be nice too, it's all automated so any keyword on your blog that amazon or other retailers sale will have a link to the product.
  • Post ads: a 250x250 box or skyscraper aligned left or right with word wrap at the beginning of your post could work well. You'll have to see how it interferes with any images you have at the beginning of the page though. If it doesn't look good try it in the middle of the content. Use a single 336 at the end of your post, aligned left no word wrap. Put some "related articles" next to it if you want it to blend in better and get a higher CTR. Either remove the upper right or header ad to stay in google's 3 ad policy. Replace them with Amazon blocks.
  • For the love of god make sure your fonts and colors of your ads match your sites. Nothing sticks out more than serif ads on a sans-serif website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

could you take a look at my site and suggest some things with ads for it? I haven't been happy with the ads so far. It's at solidstudent.org .

I know its a bit spartan but ive got a bunch of stuff in the pipe for september when all the universities start their semesters.

ive been having thoughts of starting an aggregator news blog for a specific interest. Does this idea have merit or is it terrible?

sorry for formatting, posting from my phone.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

Zero Gravitas posted:

could you take a look at my site and suggest some things with ads for it? I haven't been happy with the ads so far. It's at solidstudent.org .

I know its a bit spartan but ive got a bunch of stuff in the pipe for september when all the universities start their semesters.

ive been having thoughts of starting an aggregator news blog for a specific interest. Does this idea have merit or is it terrible?

sorry for formatting, posting from my phone.

You'd probably be better with specific offers related to SolidWorks - maybe a like to some of these:

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=solidworks&c=0&y=0

I don't think SW has an affiliate program, but check it out and offer that too.

Even better, make your own e-book and sell it on there.

Also, you should be gathering email addresses, so people can get new articles via email (and more offers).

Finally, get your rear end on here: http://www.solidworks.com/sw/communities/read-solidworks-blogs.htm

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Just a quick question, would a regional travel site be too specific? Like places to go, how to get there, etc? I live in southwest China and theres a ton of poo poo to do that isn't listed in travel guides, so I figured it might be worth checking out.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

Tom Smykowski posted:

Just a quick question, would a regional travel site be too specific? Like places to go, how to get there, etc? I live in southwest China and theres a ton of poo poo to do that isn't listed in travel guides, so I figured it might be worth checking out.

I don't think anything is too specific, if there are searches and searchers looking for it. Have you checked out what kind of volume you might get?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Quick question. I've spied two keywords X and Y that I'm interested in working with. The domain name XY.co.uk has been bought by a cyber squatter but yourXY.co.uk is available. Will having 'your' in the title affect SEO?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

The Swinemaster posted:

You'd probably be better with specific offers related to SolidWorks - maybe a like to some of these:

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=solidworks&c=0&y=0

I don't think SW has an affiliate program, but check it out and offer that too.

Even better, make your own e-book and sell it on there.

Also, you should be gathering email addresses, so people can get new articles via email (and more offers).

Finally, get your rear end on here: http://www.solidworks.com/sw/communities/read-solidworks-blogs.htm

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely sign up with amazon as an affiliate. SW doesnt have an affiliate program but I'm hoping once Ive got enough traffic built up I can email one or two of their UK resellers and offer them ad space.

As a side note to this, are there any limits with adsense and other ads? I know adsense say only three ads per page, but is that 3 adsense ads or ads in total (say like 2 adsense + one other is fine, but 3 adsense and one other is against their terms of use)?

An ebook is some time away, plus Im not sure that writing down instructions is as good as having a handy video reference. The SW blog list is a good thing, I cant believe I hadnt thought of that.

Repeating my question about aggregate sites: is there any popularity in this? Ive done some searching for the keyword Im thinking of targeting and it seems ok but Im still wondering if an aggregate site linking to other articles is a good idea.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

The Swinemaster posted:

I don't think anything is too specific, if there are searches and searchers looking for it. Have you checked out what kind of volume you might get?
Thanks for the reply. After reading the OP, I checked various keywords and they're all 1000+ on Google. There aren't a lot of sites on similar topics, so I wasn't sure if that was good or bad.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

DarthBlingBling posted:

Quick question. I've spied two keywords X and Y that I'm interested in working with. The domain name XY.co.uk has been bought by a cyber squatter but yourXY.co.uk is available. Will having 'your' in the title affect SEO?

Take this with a grain of salt, but I've heard that Matt Cutts said Google will pretty much stop looking at keywords in the URL sometime in the near future.

down beat
Jul 11, 2002
How do I avoid getting in trouble with quoting other articles? I have an idea for a site that's going to be more of a directory/wiki type site that has a page for each person in a certain industry and links to products relating to them (revenue source). But to add some substance to the site, I want to post a handful of news items each day which will contain links back to these profile pages and various product ads within the post. I want each news entry to contain a small quoted section of an article from one of ~5 websites that pertain to this niche, a link to said article on their site, and some personal commentary from me (kind of the same idea of how news threads should be posted on these forums). The format will be very transparent about what part is from the offsite source but I don't to be improperly penalized by search engines for plagiarism or something. Sorry if this is basic stuff or should be in the SEO thread.

edit: anything else major besides stuff listed here?: http://www.seodesignsolutions.com/blog/search-engine-optimization/5-simple-steps-to-quote-content-without-hurting-your-seo/

down beat fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 23, 2012

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Ive just had a thought, I think Ive gone terribly wrong.

If Im trying to rank for a keyword, I should just have that as the keyword set for all of my articles, instead of having different keywords for all of them, right?

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

^^^
Not necessarily, as long as they are contextually related and you use your intended keywords at least a couple/few times, then you are all good. It's actually better to have a more diverse range of keywords, as you get the benefit of diverse long-tails without keyword stuffing risks.

Collias posted:

How do I avoid getting in trouble with quoting other articles?

There is no such thing as duplicate content penalty. The only thing with duplicate content is that the specific page that has duplicate content may end up in Google's supplemental index. The overall site wouldn't be affected by that. However, unique content will help you rank better overall, since you won't be competing against the original content.

The Swinemaster fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 23, 2012

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I've always wanted to start a blog with tech tips on hobbies I enjoy like home theater and the computer systems and various other tech tips, but the more I thought about it all I was really doing was replicating what lifehacker already does. Even some of the guides I'd like to write have lifehacker equivalents on the top 1st or 2nd page result :shepicide:.

Monetization aside, I don't really want to burn time if no one is even going to read it and learn something, do I even have a chance?

I also wasn't sure where to find the CPC data in the adsense URL, I got this far and don't see anything in the columns tab that I haven't checked.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I've always wanted to start a blog with tech tips on hobbies

You need to sign up and sign in to adCenter to get the CPC estimates and stuff.

As far as lifehacker, it depends why you are doing it. If you just think it's fun and you have an interest - go for it.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I've always wanted to start a blog with tech tips on hobbies I enjoy like home theater and the computer systems and various other tech tips, but the more I thought about it all I was really doing was replicating what lifehacker already does. Even some of the guides I'd like to write have lifehacker equivalents on the top 1st or 2nd page result :shepicide:.

Lot's of people on the internet have never heard of lifehacker, but will stumble across your site from some other way.

That's like someone saying I would write about losing weight and helping people, but decided not to since there is a better site out there already.

Write and blog how you want to blog providing organic content, and you will get readers. Some people will enjoy your site more than lifehacker because of how you write or present your information or the specific way you talk about things.

The best thing to do, is just try it out and see how well it sticks and don't worry about monetization or all that other stuff starting out if it's really a niche you enjoy.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone have a good share box plugin to recommend? My one of choice has apparently been compromised by hackers in its latest update.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Digg Digg

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I also wasn't sure where to find the CPC data in the adsense URL, I got this far and don't see anything in the columns tab that I haven't checked.

If you click the columns tab, you should have a drop down menu with one of the options being 'Approximate CPC(search)'. Add that. Maybe you need to be logged in to see it, I dunno.

My question, I am a total noob with this stuff but I'm trying to understand it all. I want to create a site that's a news blog around a theme. What's the best way to gather content regularly that I can sift through and write about? The only thing I've really looked at is just something like google reader and alerts, using certain keywords to find news.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

If you click the columns tab, you should have a drop down menu with one of the options being 'Approximate CPC(search)'. Add that. Maybe you need to be logged in to see it, I dunno.

My question, I am a total noob with this stuff but I'm trying to understand it all. I want to create a site that's a news blog around a theme. What's the best way to gather content regularly that I can sift through and write about? The only thing I've really looked at is just something like google reader and alerts, using certain keywords to find news.

Honestly, reddit is my main source for stuff.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Ive done something similar recently and then got dragged abroad on holiday so I have a site ready to go when I get home - although it might be sooner as Im typing this and realised the beach bars wifi goes all the way to the waters edge.

Anyhow. The way Ive got it set up is that my theme has got relatively few primary sources for news but a few big players who read those primary sources and post their own spin on it - but theyre largely just repeating the press releases. My site gathers the primary source and whatever article these other big names have written because the big names occasionally have some decent infographics amongst the large amount of crappy filler.

So for all this I have a google account with a lot of RSS feeds in Reader for both the primary source to find the actual stories, and the big names to sift through the filler for any decent material they might actually have - but it turns out to e a rarity.

As far as what the other guy said, Reddit/other sites like it are your friend. My plan of action before having this surprise holiday sprung on me was to not-exactly-spam the relevant subreddits about my site and hope that I pick up enough readers from there to start spreading it around.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wasn't sure where to post this but...

Is there a reason I never make even a cent? I realize traffic is extremely low but?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This may sound dumb, but are you sure you have the ads activated correctly? IIRC there is a global setting in Account settings: Overview that overrides everything else. And do you own the rights to the videos?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Quick question, does there appear to be a difference in how google ranks a site with hyphens in the URL versus one without? For example, https://www.i-love-dogs.com versus https://www.ilovedogs.com

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

I'm doing some keyword research and when checking the top ten in google serps, I notice they use my location in the results, especially for service and career related keywords. Its hard to test the strength of the competition for carpet cleaning when 2/3 of the first page are local companies. Is there a way around this?

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I'm doing some keyword research and when checking the top ten in google serps, I notice they use my location in the results, especially for service and career related keywords. Its hard to test the strength of the competition for carpet cleaning when 2/3 of the first page are local companies. Is there a way around this?

Use Chrome's incognito mode (or the similar Firefox mode). But be aware, everyone else will be seeing local results. Google has already moved towards incorporating both location and Google+ recommendations into their results, so you can't just depend on SEO to be in the top results.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
SERPs are all localized now. In order to compete in it you need to learn local seo/geo-targeting. Targeting global is still valid as it has a lot of weight but service results will be skewed strongly towards local companies, especially local companies on G+ and even more so if 5+ G+ reviews.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

mcsuede posted:

SERPs are all localized now. In order to compete in it you need to learn local seo/geo-targeting. Targeting global is still valid as it has a lot of weight but service results will be skewed strongly towards local companies, especially local companies on G+ and even more so if 5+ G+ reviews.

Anyone have a quality link that talks about how to set up your business on G+?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I Love You! posted:

Quick question, does there appear to be a difference in how google ranks a site with hyphens in the URL versus one without? For example, https://www.i-love-dogs.com versus https://www.ilovedogs.com

Not really Google is moving away from keyword relevance in the domain lately anyway.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

I think I'm going insane. For the last two days, all I've done is think about keywords. I walk around with a notepad to write them down. Everything I see or hear, I try to come up with a keyword. Oh, there's a cactus. Hmm, desert plants, low maintenance plants, desert landscaping, backyard design, patio design, patio furniture...

For a real question, I've been basically researching for the last two weeks since I'm completely new to this. Something that is taking me into opposite directions is this whole Panda/Penquin slap thing. A lot of good how-to videos and forum threads seem to be two years old or more, focused on micro niche sites. Some newer ones talk about building authority sites with lots of rich content due to Panda. Yet, there's still a lot of talk about micro niche sites. Authority sites and micro niche sites seem to be on opposite sides of the spectrum. I don't know how you make a lot of rich quality content about garage door openers or Twilight posters. Those seem like small sites with 3-4 articles, then set it and forget it. Are those sites still valid post Panda? Anyone here have issues?

The reason I ask is because, while searching keywords, I've been trying broader terms that I can wrap a larger, more authoritative site around. And its really hard to find those niches since broader terms are generally already saturated with about.com and those type of sites.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I think I'm going insane. For the last two days, all I've done is think about keywords. I walk around with a notepad to write them down. Everything I see or hear, I try to come up with a keyword. Oh, there's a cactus. Hmm, desert plants, low maintenance plants, desert landscaping, backyard design, patio design, patio furniture...

For a real question, I've been basically researching for the last two weeks since I'm completely new to this. Something that is taking me into opposite directions is this whole Panda/Penquin slap thing. A lot of good how-to videos and forum threads seem to be two years old or more, focused on micro niche sites. Some newer ones talk about building authority sites with lots of rich content due to Panda. Yet, there's still a lot of talk about micro niche sites. Authority sites and micro niche sites seem to be on opposite sides of the spectrum. I don't know how you make a lot of rich quality content about garage door openers or Twilight posters. Those seem like small sites with 3-4 articles, then set it and forget it. Are those sites still valid post Panda? Anyone here have issues?

The reason I ask is because, while searching keywords, I've been trying broader terms that I can wrap a larger, more authoritative site around. And its really hard to find those niches since broader terms are generally already saturated with about.com and those type of sites.

Ive got a similar sort of question. My last post talked about my "hobby" site, if you like, which basically deals with astronomy news, which is also the keyword Im trying to rank for. Should I be tagging all my posts with "astronomy news" as the keyword and leave google to pick up the subject of each post from its title, or do like Ive been doing and tag each post with a few relevant keywords(Eg "Black holes" , "asteroid probe"), leaving the site to be picked up by the site name and tagline?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Keywords are just starting points. Relevancy and authority are the goals.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

So basically the first one where I just tag things with "astronomy news" to get the site ranking up and rely on users to select the articles, right?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Depends on what you mean by tag. If you mean metatags...don't bother using them. If you mean tags in wordpress, something like Astronomy News should be a category not a tag. Tags are for cross-referencing not for organizing.

Basically, build sites to be as human use-able as possible, but make sure your navigation points (categories mostly) target relevant keywords effectively. Jamming a bunch of keyword tags into a post isn't going to make much of a difference in search. Linking pages/articles/posts to each other with appropriate anchor text, within the CONTENT of the page/articles/posts is much more effective. This is also why people use "Related Posts" at the bottom of a page or post (as it's good for Users AND Engines).

Users first, search engines second.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 13, 2012

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Got another free $100 Adsense coupon. Expires Sept. 30th, new accounts only.

code:
79KMX-DFUF3-RQEH

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Got another free $100 Adsense coupon. Expires Sept. 30th, new accounts only.

code:
79KMX-DFUF3-RQEH
Snagged it. Thanks.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

mcsuede posted:

Depends on what you mean by tag. If you mean metatags...don't bother using them. If you mean tags in wordpress, something like Astronomy News should be a category not a tag. Tags are for cross-referencing not for organizing.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Im using Joost's wordpress SEO plugin where you can assign keywords to each individual post. The posts have an otherwise normal category structure but they arent in an over-reaching "Astronomy News" category, just "sitename.com/black-holes" or "sitename.com/exploratory-probes". Worth reorganising?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
As I said, organize Categories for Users, not for Google.

The Keywords section you're talking about in WordPress SEO, are you talking about the meta keywords section or the Focus Keyword section?

Neither are used to feed Google anything -- meta keywords are ignored by Google and Focus Keyword simply tells WordPress SEO's internal SEO metric (via LinkDex) what you're attempting to target with your post/page so that it can check that you're using them in appropriate places (like alt tags). It doesn't get passed through to the browser in any way.

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN
If I am using WordPress, does it hurt my SEO to remove tags from being visible in the theme? I still have them in the posts, but can Google see them at all or does it not even matter?

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

JumpyMonky posted:

If I am using WordPress, does it hurt my SEO to remove tags from being visible in the theme? I still have them in the posts, but can Google see them at all or does it not even matter?

From mcsuede's post above, Google doesn't even look at tags any more, so it won't affect your site at all. That's just for Wordpress SEO, if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
He's actually referring to Tags in the WordPress taxonomy system.

Shouldn't hurt your SEO not display Tags (most sites don't) as long as Google/Bing have plenty of other ways to crawl your site and find your content. As Tags are anchors they can give a bit of context to engines but it's very minor.

My general rule is Categories for structure, Tags for cross-reference. As long as your structure is crawl-able spiders don't need the Tags. If the Tags aren't useful to your users, don't bother displaying them.

Now, some people do the opposite and that's fine though weird (Tags for structure, Categories for cross-reference), as long as you stick to one or the other.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 28, 2012

• Locked thread