Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elim Garak posted:

Goddamn The Onion has been really dark lately.

You're not kidding:
Ugandan Powerball Jackpot Hits 31 Grains Of Rice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
They have to be dark since most of their mellow stuff has actually become true. Poe's Law is real.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Elim Garak posted:

Ever since the dying lion article I've noticed how grim they're getting. In lighter news I can read the American Voices articles all day, those are awesome.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Paleontologists: 'We've Been Looking At Dinosaurs Upside Down'

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTifcI4A0jM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO27Um1ZFHI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_uPu6colaI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ5D5MrN9Cg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHtqlj_u828

Words can't express how much I enjoy Lake Dredge Appraisal.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008

The Onion posted:

The detailed explanation is expected to be a marked departure from 2008, when, following the selection of Sarah Palin, your Republican friend remained completely silent.

I love those last sentence of the article zingers.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

Felix_Cat posted:

I love those last sentence of the article zingers.

I'm really not sure where The Onion got that line from though, because there's not a Republican I know who didn't go absolutely gaga over Sarah Palin.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

I'm really not sure where The Onion got that line from though, because there's not a Republican I know who didn't go absolutely gaga over Sarah Palin.

:thejoke:

For some content:

http://www.theonion.com/video/mario-williams-out-for-season-with-torn-tit,26355/

Pain of Mind has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Aug 18, 2012

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

poo poo :doh:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Bassist Unaware Rock Band Christian.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Elim Garak posted:

Speaking of which - read this article. I'm not even going to say what it's about, just click it and read it and :stare:

The final line zinger was even better when I realized my brain had inserted words into the final line myself and what they were actually saying was even funnier.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
And then if you want to despair for humanity, read the entries for it at Literally Unbelievable: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven.

:stare:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Brother Jonathan posted:

And then if you want to despair for humanity, read the entries for it at Literally Unbelievable: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven.

Couldn't make it all the way through.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Brother Jonathan posted:

....n-no. Nooooooooooooo....... :psyduck:

Proper Hoodidge
May 6, 2008

Brother Jonathan posted:

The comment on number six is loving baffling. This person has previously been exposed to The Onion, vaguely remembers it's not a reliable news organization, but is still deeply concerned (about smear tactics? about mitt romney being the real killer? about bath salts?). "I dont know about all of this, but somebody should really call the tv stations about whatever is going on, whoever this guy is, and all involved, and whatever we were just talking about."

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
"Take off your blinders" (from "four") is pretty good, but my favorite is actually "Mybe thisis not a true story but it says that a campaign manager of obama's was actually saying this stuff" (from "seven"). They got to the point of being skeptical of the article, but it wasn't enough to stop them from being scared by stuff that same article they said they distrusted said. :psyduck:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

American Voices is so good.

Pussy Riot Convicted

quote:

How come I haven't heard a word of support out of fellow punk rockers Green Day about this?

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

buttopticor posted:

"Take off your blinders" (from "four") is pretty good, but my favorite is actually "Mybe thisis not a true story but it says that a campaign manager of obama's was actually saying this stuff" (from "seven"). They got to the point of being skeptical of the article, but it wasn't enough to stop them from being scared by stuff that same article they said they distrusted said. :psyduck:

The fake attribution to the campaign manager is all it took to make the person believe!

I love how The Onion uses well-known talking heads in articles, making up quotes by Ezra Klein, Thomas Friedman, and so on. Last year, they had a guest Halloween editorial by Paul Krugman. People started asking Krugman why he would write for The Onion, and he had to tell people on his blog that he had nothing to do with it.

By the way, Krugman is a fan of The Onion. "We're now in year 8 of the Onion Era: the era in which Onion articles have consistently proved more accurate than the stuff you read in mainstream newspapers."

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Elim Garak posted:

The Onion is a funhouse mirror that reflects reality, but distorts and exaggerates certain aspects. They have always been dark, Gallows humor is their specialty.

Mars Rover Discoveries: A few inches below the layer of dirt on the surface lies another, slightly thicker, layer of dirt

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Literally Unbelievably seems intended as a meta humor type of site. It's called Literally Unbelievable. The name lends itself to being a parody. It's like having a site called This poo poo Is True and then a bunch of wannabe-comedians pretend to react like people they want to mock.

Maybe at some point a handful of real idiots found their way to the site and took over but the name never sat right with me as a legit source of ignorance. It's too self aware.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Supreme Allah posted:

Literally Unbelievably seems intended as a meta humor type of site. It's called Literally Unbelievable. The name lends itself to being a parody. It's like having a site called This poo poo Is True and then a bunch of wannabe-comedians pretend to react like people they want to mock.

Maybe at some point a handful of real idiots found their way to the site and took over but the name never sat right with me as a legit source of ignorance. It's too self aware.
I'm not sure what you're saying here? Are you saying that the people running the blog want people to think that they don't know The Onion's real, or that the facebook posts it showcases are ironic, or what?

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Supreme Allah posted:

I think the title came from one of the first popular "Facebook idiot responds to The Onion" screenshots.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's not all dark: Croatian Prime Minister Currently Stuck Under Pile Of Turnips

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Oh Hell No posted:

I think the title came from one of the first popular "Facebook idiot responds to The Onion" screenshots.

Precisely. It's also one guy who takes submissions.

Some of them are pretty weak but every so often that you get one response to an article that is just too overwrought to be meta-satire, and it makes the whole site worth it as a result.

His other site, Least Helpful, is a loving riot. I can't think about this entry without bursting out laughing.

Actual content: Ground Emerges As Tim Tebow's Favorite Target

e: gently caress-Buddy Becomes gently caress-Fiance

Bush Urges Iraqis To Pass Amendment Banning Gay Marriage

LARGE THE HEAD has a new favorite as of 10:38 on Aug 19, 2012

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Infographic: Speculation About Romney's Taxes

quote:

• Years of filings in state of Delaware prove definitively that the candidate himself is a corporation
  • In 2009, thanks to clever accounting, the IRS actually paid Romney $25 million in taxes

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Bush Grants Self Permission To Grant More Power To Self

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Report: Turkey Sandwiches An Excellent Source Of Turkey Sandwiches

It's short, sweet, and completely idiotic. This is why I love the onion.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Another simple little joke:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Audio: Dream About Walking Around With No Pants In Supermarket Finally Comes True

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The Onion Weather Center is fantastic:
http://www.theonion.com/video/onion-weather-center-arizona-heatwave-forces-tempo,29247/

This one is just :smith:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/woman-has-bizarre-ability-to-share-details-about-p,29221/

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

MRC48B posted:

The Onion is a funhouse mirror that reflects reality, but distorts and exaggerates certain aspects. They have always been dark, Gallows humor is their specialty.

Mars Rover Discoveries: A few inches below the layer of dirt on the surface lies another, slightly thicker, layer of dirt

I don't know, I've been reading The Onion for ~10 years and I have two of the books, I can't recall anything as dark as the stuff coming out recently. Yes, they've always had their share of "Mommy and Daddy Don't Love Each Other Anymore" stories, but there's something darker going on now, in my opinion.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Agreed. It's not so much that the black comedy is new as there's been a spate of articles recently with a very high ratio of blackness to comedy.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

6th-Grade Teacher Seen Making Out With GameStop Dude

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The American Voices on "Mutant Butterflies Found Near Fukushima" practically read my mind. There probably was no better way to end that article.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Yikes. These are getting so frequent that I think someone on the writing staff is so emotionally broken that basic kindness reads as a negative to them. It's past the point of funny and just troubling some of the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
"I Misspoke—What I Meant To Say Is 'I Am Dumb As Dog poo poo And I Am A Terrible Human Being"

http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-misspokewhat-i-meant-to-say-is-i-am-dumb-as-dog,29256/

Seriously, gently caress Todd Akin forever. I hope he steps in dogshit every day for the rest of his miserable life.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

"I Misspoke—What I Meant To Say Is 'I Am Dumb As Dog poo poo And I Am A Terrible Human Being"

http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-misspokewhat-i-meant-to-say-is-i-am-dumb-as-dog,29256/

Seriously, gently caress Todd Akin forever. I hope he steps in dogshit every day for the rest of his miserable life.
People sometimes criticize Onion articles for just being the headline said over and over in different ways, and in this case that's absolutely true.

But holy poo poo it is so loving cathartic and satisfying.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

But holy poo poo it is so loving cathartic and satisfying.

Sometimes, something happens and all you can muster up is hate and venom, and this is one of these times, so it's good to hear "That's how I feel too".

EDIT: poo poo, goddamn.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pregnant-woman-relieved-to-learn-her-rape-was-ille,29258/

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Aug 21, 2012

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Whoa, this is some evil stuff.

Pregnant Woman Relieved To Learn Her Rape Was Illegitimate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo.
They have American Voices on it too.

quote:

When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?