Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

Open Energy Saver in System Preferences. Check "Wake for network access" if it's unchecked.
It was checked before and after ML. Any other ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

unruly posted:

(I'm a web guy, so I'm not sure how DFS works, specifically)

Know how they say sync is hard. It is.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

ptier posted:

Know how they say sync is hard. It is.
Yeah, I know sync is hard. It's hard regardless of what you're doing. I have a little experience with DFS, but I'm not sure if I need to be domain joined to access that information, or if it's published like any other SMB service.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

dexter6 posted:

Since upgrading to ML, my mid-2009 iMac is behaving differently WRT sleep/standby.

It used to wifi-sync all my iDevices when I plugged then in at night, regardless of when I last touched the computer. Now I have to walk to the machine to wake it up.

Not to be stupid, but is it possible you just had the display sleeping rather than the computer sleeping before?

x-virge
May 25, 2003

dexter6 posted:

Since upgrading to ML, my mid-2009 iMac is behaving differently WRT sleep/standby.

It used to wifi-sync all my iDevices when I plugged then in at night, regardless of when I last touched the computer. Now I have to walk to the machine to wake it up. WTF? Anyone know how to get this back the way it was?

This is probably some sort of bug. The sleep proxy stuff is working OK for me in Mountain Lion, but there were a few Lion minor versions when it didn't work.

Try disabling/re-enabling various services in the Sharing prefpane?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Would there be any conflict with Installing an older version of iLife on a newer mac pretty much to just get iWeb back? Os is there some newer better program out there that my wife would be able to understand how to use?

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 18, 2012

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

unruly posted:

I've not been able to get DFS paths to work on 10.7 -- do I need to be Domain joined to access them? Even with FQDN, it doesn't seem to work. (I'm a web guy, so I'm not sure how DFS works, specifically)
It depends to some degree how your DFS is set up but in general all you need is the correct DNS settings.

It's possible that the guys who set up your DFS did what our storage guys did and set it up so the targets pointed to \\server\share instead of \\server.ad.university.edu.au\share. This works fine if your network adapter is set up with the correct DNS suffix because it'll do the work for you but if you're not using the same suffix (and if you're not bound to the domain you're probably not) then you might be able to resolve the root share with the targets in it but you won't get any further than that.

For example, if I go to smb://server.ad.university.edu.au/share, I'll get a list of all the targets that my account (which you'll have to specify if you're not on the domain and you might need to use DOMAIN\Username for the username) has permission to see (we use access based enumeration for that) but if I try to actually open any of the targets it'll just spin for 10 seconds and then display a folder with 0 items in it.

However, if I then go and modify my network adapter to have the ad.university.edu.au suffix and reconnect to smb://server/share or smb://server.ad.university.edu.au/share, it'll path through correctly and the targets I can see will resolve to real folders and get mounted as separate shares in /Volumes.

edit: I should mention that I was able to get this working in 10.7.0.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 18, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish there was a way to make Cmd-V system-default to "Paste and match style"

There's nothing worse than copying something from Safari and seeing its style in your nice, neat document.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Astro7x posted:

Would there be any conflict with Installing an older version of iLife on a newer mac pretty much to just get iWeb back? Os is there some newer better program out there that my wife would be able to understand how to use?

You might check out RapidWeaver, or just try using something simple like Squarespace.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Martytoof posted:

There's nothing worse than copying something from Safari and seeing its style in your nice, neat document.

If you go into Keyboard prefpane you can add custom keyboard shortcuts. Add one to All Applications with that name and make it Cmd+v. I haven't tested this extensively so I don't know if there are side effects, but it seems to work in some of the standard apps.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?
Is there any reason Terminal resizes itself after I reboot? Is there a way to disable or fix that? I'm kind of sick having to go to Window -> Return to Default Size every time.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

x-virge posted:

If you go into Keyboard prefpane you can add custom keyboard shortcuts. Add one to All Applications with that name and make it Cmd+v. I haven't tested this extensively so I don't know if there are side effects, but it seems to work in some of the standard apps.

Oh poo poo I didn't know about Paste and Match Style. I always copied and quickly pasted it into the address bar and recopy it. Is there any legit reason why anyone would not want Paste and Match Style as the default setting?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is there a way to get it to stop asking me if I want to reopen programs after I reboot, with it defaulted to "no?"

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Martytoof posted:

Alfred has a "Plain Paste" command you can assign a hotkey to (not sure if it requires the Powerpack; probably).

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
e: never mind, stupid question.

Cockwhore fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 18, 2012

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't know about Paste and Match Style. I always copied and quickly pasted it into the address bar and recopy it. Is there any legit reason why anyone would not want Paste and Match Style as the default setting?

Yes, when we want what we pasted to be identical to what we copied. It's a 50/50 tossup for me when I'm copying and pasting.

martytoof posted:

Here are two different methods for changing Paste and Match Style to the default.

Make 'paste and match style' the default behavior

How to make "Paste and Match Style the *default* for Command-V

Also as suggested in those articles, make sure you bind regular Paste back to something as well (maybe Shift -Opt-Command-V).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to bind "paste match" to something simpler that I can remember because the default key combo is something unnatural at best.

Actually the most annoying thing is that Paste and Match isn't a standard part of the right click context menu. Why? Who knows.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shin-chan posted:

Yes, when we want what we pasted to be identical to what we copied. It's a 50/50 tossup for me when I'm copying and pasting.

Here are two different methods for changing Paste and Match Style to the default.

Make 'paste and match style' the default behavior

How to make "Paste and Match Style the *default* for Command-V

Also as suggested in those articles, make sure you bind regular Paste back to something as well (maybe Shift -Opt-Command-V).

Thank you for this!

Martytoof posted:

Actually the most annoying thing is that Paste and Match isn't a standard part of the right click context menu. Why? Who knows.

Looking forward to seeing this added in OS X Ocelot....or whatever they're gonna call 10.9.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any way I can show my stored wifi password? I can't remember it and I am trying to set up windows in bootcamp.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Keychain access -> find your access point, doubleclick on it, click "show password".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

TheJoker138 posted:

Is there a way to get it to stop asking me if I want to reopen programs after I reboot, with it defaulted to "no?"

No but if you uncheck it once it stays unchecked until you check it.

E: 10.7.4 or higher, I think.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: Never mind I am a dumbass.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 19, 2012

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

Was curious if there was a way to have youtube/videos stream into their own window of its size while floating on top. Any web browser preferably firefox?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to bind "paste match" to something simpler that I can remember because the default key combo is something unnatural at best.
I went with the simpler combo route, so much better than the...whatever the hell it was before (like every key modifier but one?). I did cmd-opt-v, I forget but I think cmd-shift-v was taken by something somewhere.

Eelface posted:

Was curious if there was a way to have youtube/videos stream into their own window of its size while floating on top. Any web browser preferably firefox?
Fluid can make separate standalone browser apps. Set one up for YouTube, then within the new app there's an option for window level under Preferences->Appearance.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Just recently purchased a Samsung 830 256 GB for my 13" MBP, and got it installed successfully. One question though: has the Trim Enabler app been working well with ML so far, or would it be best to go through the manual method in Terminal?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Got a weird bug on Mountain Lion.

If I click restart or shut down from the apple menu, nothing happens. If I turn the computer off by holding the power button, when it restarts it will boot to a purely grey screen with no desktop or any way of using it. The only fix is to reinstall Mountain Lion from a Time Machine backup.

The bug persists across reinstalls. Any ideas?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Try this, maybe?

Starting up in single-user or verbose mode

1. Shut down your Mac if it is on.
2. Press the power button to start the computer.
3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and one of the following:
the "s" key for single-user mode. (Command-S)
the "v" key for verbose mode. (Command-V)
You have successfully entered single-user or verbose mode when you see white text appear on the screen.
To exit single-user mode type

Maybe you'll get something interesting? When you say nothing happens, how patient are you for OSX killing various processes?

e. Single user/Verbose should at least tell you where everything's getting stuck.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
I'm reluctant to boot into single user or verbose mode because it runs the risk of another 2 hour reinstall of Mountain Lion.

When I click restart or shut down, I don't even get the little box saying "are you sure you want to shut down/restart". Nothing happens at all after I click the option in the apple menu, no matter how long I wait.

When I use the power button and reboot it that way, there's the usual grey screen with an apple on and the spinning progress wheel, which then becomes a plain grey screen. If I plug in a USB stick and then pull it out, I get the "improperly removed" pop-up box as if I were at the desktop normally. If I put a DVD in and use the eject button, the little eject icon will pop-up on the screen. It's like it's booted to the desktop just without any graphics or anything.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Cmd+eject, hit R, wait a bunch?

Or if you've done that, don't remove your USB if it's actually an apple one? I have no clue what it'll do, esp. if it's not an apple boot disk.

Also, you'll probably get that prompt if you just remove a USB disk.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

unruly posted:

Yeah, I know sync is hard. It's hard regardless of what you're doing. I have a little experience with DFS, but I'm not sure if I need to be domain joined to access that information, or if it's published like any other SMB service.

Sorry if I was crpytic. It mounts like any other SMB share no problem. I meant to finish that statement as "And Microsoft hosed it up", but that is a whole other discussion completely different from this one. You should just need your domain credentials to be an authenticated user and go to down. However, you may need to use the IP and not the UNC path (\DFS_SERVER\files) because if they did or didn't do a .local for the domain, hostname look up gets weird with a non-domained join mac.

ptier fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 19, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kim jong-illin posted:

I'm reluctant to boot into single user or verbose mode because it runs the risk of another 2 hour reinstall of Mountain Lion.

When I click restart or shut down, I don't even get the little box saying "are you sure you want to shut down/restart". Nothing happens at all after I click the option in the apple menu, no matter how long I wait.

When I use the power button and reboot it that way, there's the usual grey screen with an apple on and the spinning progress wheel, which then becomes a plain grey screen. If I plug in a USB stick and then pull it out, I get the "improperly removed" pop-up box as if I were at the desktop normally. If I put a DVD in and use the eject button, the little eject icon will pop-up on the screen. It's like it's booted to the desktop just without any graphics or anything.
Tried booting into the recovery partition and doing a disk check? (and permissions, cause why not at this point). The whole force shut down and eject without unmounting probably isn't doing any favors for your drives. You might be able to open your console logs from the recovery partition too (Terminal is there at least), but I can't say it's something I've tried. Otherwise verbose mode is probably your best bet at this point.

Do you know if it works fine off a fresh ML install, or I guess does the recovery partition shut down fine? If you upgraded from Lion it could be something old and incompatible that's loving things up, and continuously getting back during the TM restore phase.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

kim jong-illin posted:

It's like it's booted to the desktop just without any graphics or anything.

When you're in this state, hit Control-Option-Command-Shift-Period. This will take a sysdiagnose (which takes a few minutes) including all the interesting logs and state on your system. Boot into recovery and pick up the file which will be in /Volumes/<diskname>/var/tmp/, untar it and start looking around.

Most interesting to look at would be spindump.txt and logs/system.log, which tell you the state of everything on the system and any interesting error messages that were printed out when this happens.

Don't post the file unless you're OK with revealing any personal information that may be in the logs.

Does it occur after a clean reinstall or only after a time machine restore?

P.S. You're not running a Hackintosh, are you?

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008
Can someone post the mail.applescript from aperature.

It's located in \Applications\Aperture.app\Contents\PlugIns

I overwrote it with the sparrow hack, but now want to flip it back to using mail.app.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Mac Outlook 2011 is the worst app I've ever used on any machine or platform. In this case, a 2010 Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard. No more than 1,200 emails left in my Exchange inbox at any one time, because Microsoft can't handle what Eudora could back in 1996, or Gmail or even Apple Mail can deal with today.

Keep in mind, this is post-restart, full Onyx repair / cleaning routine with no other apps running and a freshly-rebuilt Outlook profile.

The application can take 3 to 4 minutes to start. If you dare to start it too soon after seeing the desktop come up, it will hang 2 or 3 times and need to be force-quit until it decides it feels like launching.

Office Reminders will take 2 minutes to start and hang Outlook until it finishes its super hard struggle of launching. I don't care if the server is up or down. Just start already and then be like "Oh crap, no communication with the server" without crashing, or bringing down every drat app too.

Outlook randomly changes text formatting after I hit "Send". What I typed isn't what ends up in the message in "Sent Items". This makes me look like a moron. We're not talking fancy formatting, but typing an email, changing the formatting of two lines, only for a random font and size to be chosen after the email goes out.

It randomly refuses to change text formatting. Because that's too hard. Step 1: Select all text with the mouse. Step 2: Select a font... wow, it won't let me do that. It just refuses to let me pick any font at all. Can't even get the drop-down. Step 3: Pick a common size... nope. Can't do that, either. Maybe my employer needs to upgrade to the Outlook 2011 Super Extreme Professional Deluxe Edition or something.

Outlook will randomly paste text onto random lines other than the one the cursor is on. Even with "Paste and Match Style".

It struggles to accept keyboard input. Typing an email results in serious text lag, and random beach balling.

Reading a one line message with no attachments that arrived ten minutes earlier = beach ball.

Reading a meeting invite = beach ball for 30 seconds.

Switching from Mail to Calendar view? Beach ball.

PCs connected to the Exchange server don't have these problems, and a lot of these problems shouldn't be server-side, so I'm putting it at the feet of Microsoft.

It's an email / calendar program. We had this sorted out by 1995.

Crackpipe fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 19, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It is common knowledge that Office usually sucks for Mac, however 2011 is leap years better than the mess that was 2008.

Outlook for Mac sucks for me because it wont work with Google Calendars.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I used to use Outlook 2011 pretty heavily and I will agree that it is a piece of poo poo, but I didn't experience most of those issues. My database file would just randomly corrupt! One thing that I would suggest is making sure you are on the latest version. I seem to remember moving to SP1 making it much more stable for me. Depending on the Exchange functionality you need, you might be able to get away with the Mail/iCal/Address Book.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just start your bootcamp partition on a VM and use outlook there. Mac outlook is useless.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

My gf is buying an iMac.

She does textile design, and uses a very old Epson 3000 which we use a parallel->USB converter. Currently connects to a laptop PC when she wants to print. Works reasonably well.

Does anyone know if the Epson 3000 (or even the parallel-usb converter) will work on an iMac with whatever OS comes preinstalled? I assume a new iMac will have Mountain Lion.

The printer's got some incredibly expensive sublimation inks in it, so we would be loathe to get rid of it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You got some replies about that when you asked in the hardware thread. I posted one and vaguely remember someone else's too. From what I could find the gist is...maybe.

There's third party drivers and Epson's drivers through Apple, and supposedly the Windows PPD can work in OS X, but I have no clue if they'll work to the extent you want. Like if there's some weird setting/feature it may or may not be supported through whatever driver.

Worst case I guess keep the PC around as a printing machine or print through a VM on the Mac. (Well worst worst case, someone suggested selling or upgrading through Epson or something, and selling the inks cause they're worth a bunch).