Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Edward IV posted:

I've never actually followed a product announcement at Photokina and their subsequent release. How soon will those new E-mount lenses be available for sale? Is it possible for them to be out by, say, Columbus Day weekend?

I don't think there's any fixed or even average timing between a product announcement and its release. The Canon 24-70 II was announced last year and it's still not out yet, while the 5D3 came out about a week after it was announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
I left my somewhat aging though still pretty capable DSLR at home when I moved to Japan and only brought my point-and-shoot. I don't regret it too much, since lugging it around was a loving pain, but I've missed out on some wonderful photos (especially in low light) that I could have gotten had I had it with me.

I picked up a Fuji X100 today, to fill the gap in my life.

Holy gently caress is this thing magic. Photos better than my SLR puts out, within 35mm reason of course, in a reasonably compact package and superb low light performance because it's crispy clear all the way down to ISO 3200 at least and still excellent beyond that. It's a little finicky to use but I think I'll soon get used to its quirks.

Nelson Mandela fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 15, 2012

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Has anyone directly experienced the issue on the NEX (5N for me, not sure if this problem extends across the whole product line) where the anti-reflective coating begins to peel off of the lcd? Mine is starting to go from the edges of the top, left and bottom of the screen despite me being very safe with the camera and only putting it by itself in various bags or just in my pocket. I am worried that the peeling will extend into the useable part of the screen over time - this camera is only about 8-9 months old.

Is the answer basically "screen protector"? I hate the feel of those things and was expecting to just take very good care of the camera to avoid having to use one. Has Sony said anything about the issue?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I don't own a NEX, but I know from photo forums that the lcd will often de-laminate on it's own no matter how careful you are. People say it even happens under a screen protector. It's a defect and I think Sony doesn't admit that it is widespread. I've heard that they will sometimes replace it under warranty.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I put a screen protector on my 5N pretty soon after I got it. I don't use the touch screen functions so it doesn't affect me much.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Doubt this will happen anytime soon but goddamn it would be cool
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-nex-goes-full-frame/

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Doubt this will happen anytime soon but goddamn it would be cool
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-nex-goes-full-frame/

Yeah, I just can't see it working with the current lenses. The Leica fans suspect that Sony may supply the sensor for the M10, so that may be where this rumor is coming from.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

A full frame NEX would be pretty cool because it might force Sony to make the bodies large enough to fit in a normal sized hand.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
That's a pretty funny rumor to come out the day after Thom Hogan posted that the NEX system only has seven lenses for seven bodies.

FasterThanLight posted:

A full frame NEX would be pretty cool because it might force Sony to make the bodies large enough to fit in a normal sized hand.

Considering the NEX is smaller than a lot of μ4/3 bodies they'd probably figure out a way to make it have NO grip.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I wouldn't want to see the NEX bodies get any larger. What would be the point? If you've got hands so large that you look like a team mascot then the NEX probably isn't for you. I love how the NEX is so small, light and unobtrusive.

I hold my NEX with my index finger on the shutter button, middle and ring finger on the front of the grip, pinkie curled underneath the camera (there's a dent on the bottom of the 5N body that accommodates that well) and thumb curled over top of the camera right next to the play button. Overall I'd say it's no worse or even better than using my Rebel XTi.

The things that bug me ergonomically about the 5N are the stupid video button and the way the battery door accidentally gets unlatched every so often when I'm shooting actively like at a concert.

I can't wait to see how the NEX-6 is going to turn out. If it truly is an improved 5N sensor in a 7-type body, I'll be all over that as soon as I can afford it. That paired up with the E-mount 35mm f/1.8 will be a super killer combo.

Also, a full frame NEX doesn't make sense to me because then Sony will have to come out with a whole new lens line for full frame E-mount like the whole EF and EF-S thing with Canon and given how glacially they've released regular E-mount lenses, I can't see it ending well.

HPL fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 18, 2012

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

HPL posted:

I can't wait to see how the NEX-6 is going to turn out. If it truly is an improved 5N sensor in a 7-type body, I'll be all over that as soon as I can afford it. That paired up with the E-mount 35mm f/1.8 will be a super killer combo.

I've read that the NEX-5R and NEX-6 will have phase detection pixels to allow for phase detection autofocus. Does that mean that using the LA-EA2 adapter on those cameras will be redundant and the LA-EA1 would be a better adapter without that semitransparent mirror sapping light?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Edward IV posted:

I've read that the NEX-5R and NEX-6 will have phase detection pixels to allow for phase detection autofocus. Does that mean that using the LA-EA2 adapter on those cameras will be redundant and the LA-EA1 would be a better adapter without that semitransparent mirror sapping light?

In my opinion, judging by past versions of on-sensor PDAF from other companies, I doubt it will replace stuff like the LA-EA2. The LA-EA2 is almost the entire A77 AF system grafted on to the NEX. The on-sensor version seems like sort of a half-assed thing more for assisting contrast-detect AF than replacing it. CDAF has no way of knowing the distance to a subject so it does a bit of pumping back and forth before it locks in. Having the distance data from PDAF will take out the guesswork so at least the camera will know which direction to move the lens in the first place. Given that the 5N AF is already pretty quick on static subjects, I'm interested to see how much of an improvement it will make. I would imagine that the biggest performance boost will be when tracking a moving subject.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

HPL posted:

In my opinion, judging by past versions of on-sensor PDAF from other companies, I doubt it will replace stuff like the LA-EA2. The LA-EA2 is almost the entire A77 AF system grafted on to the NEX. The on-sensor version seems like sort of a half-assed thing more for assisting contrast-detect AF than replacing it. CDAF has no way of knowing the distance to a subject so it does a bit of pumping back and forth before it locks in. Having the distance data from PDAF will take out the guesswork so at least the camera will know which direction to move the lens in the first place. Given that the 5N AF is already pretty quick on static subjects, I'm interested to see how much of an improvement it will make. I would imagine that the biggest performance boost will be when tracking a moving subject.

What I don't understand is why companies don't return to the small SLRs of the 70s, like the Pentax ME. Full Phase detection, giant optical viewfinder, full frame sensor in a tiny body. The battery in some dslrs has a smaller capacity than the iPhone's, so it really has to be intransigence.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

HPL posted:

Also, a full frame NEX doesn't make sense to me because then Sony will have to come out with a whole new lens line for full frame E-mount like the whole EF and EF-S thing with Canon and given how glacially they've released regular E-mount lenses, I can't see it ending well.

A "whole new lens line" for Sony would be like 2 lenses so...

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

printf posted:

What I don't understand is why companies don't return to the small SLRs of the 70s, like the Pentax ME. Full Phase detection, giant optical viewfinder, full frame sensor in a tiny body. The battery in some dslrs has a smaller capacity than the iPhone's, so it really has to be intransigence.

I don't know where to go with this. You've already got the Olympus OM-D for retro styling and the NEX-7 takes a lot of styling cues from classic cameras. I own three Pentax ME Supers but I don't recall any of them having autofocus unless there's a switch I overlooked. As for giant viewfinders, it doesn't get much larger than the screen on the back of the camera.

I think we have to think about it in more pragmatic terms. Other than the prestige factor of a FF sensor, is there honestly any point to Sony creating a FF NEX camera given that APS-C sensors have come a long way in the last 5 years? Sony would be far better served developing more higher-end E-mount lenses like the 24mm f/1.8 than going through the trouble of developing a whole new parallel line of hardware. Also given that the Leica M10 is probably coming out soon, people with enough money to drop on a compact FF camera will most likely be buying that, especially since the main attraction of a FF NEX would be to use Leica and Voigtlander lenses with it.

unleash the unicorn posted:

A "whole new lens line" for Sony would be like 2 lenses so...

The one way it would work for Sony without Sony actually making any new lenses is to mark it up like crazy and charge a bazillion dollars for a camera body. That way the FF people can go crazy with their Leica lenses and Sony can have its margin.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

HPL posted:

I don't know where to go with this. You've already got the Olympus OM-D for retro styling and the NEX-7 takes a lot of styling cues from classic cameras. I own three Pentax ME Supers but I don't recall any of them having autofocus unless there's a switch I overlooked. As for giant viewfinders, it doesn't get much larger than the screen on the back of the camera.

I think we have to think about it in more pragmatic terms. Other than the prestige factor of a FF sensor, is there honestly any point to Sony creating a FF NEX camera given that APS-C sensors have come a long way in the last 5 years? Sony would be far better served developing more higher-end E-mount lenses like the 24mm f/1.8 than going through the trouble of developing a whole new parallel line of hardware. Also given that the Leica M10 is probably coming out soon, people with enough money to drop on a compact FF camera will most likely be buying that, especially since the main attraction of a FF NEX would be to use Leica and Voigtlander lenses with it.

The one way it would work for Sony without Sony actually making any new lenses is to mark it up like crazy and charge a bazillion dollars for a camera body. That way the FF people can go crazy with their Leica lenses and Sony can have its margin.

I guess my real wish is for some kind of NEX-7 with PDAF and a nice optical viewfinder, or good EVF. Given the size of the LE-AE2 adapter, which isn't all that large (esp. given that it isn't integrated into the body) a sort of NEX size body+integrated SLT combo would be pretty great. I'm not really sure why they decided to go with a completely new line of mounts and lenses when they could have downsized the slt line and called it a day

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

printf posted:

I guess my real wish is for some kind of NEX-7 with PDAF and a nice optical viewfinder, or good EVF. Given the size of the LE-AE2 adapter, which isn't all that large (esp. given that it isn't integrated into the body) a sort of NEX size body+integrated SLT combo would be pretty great. I'm not really sure why they decided to go with a completely new line of mounts and lenses when they could have downsized the slt line and called it a day

D40/NEX + adapter size by patnumber8, on Flickr

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
For the record, I'm not against a FF NEX, it's just that I don't see the business sense in it.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

HPL posted:

For the record, I'm not against a FF NEX, it's just that I don't see the business sense in it.

Really I just want to use my rangefinder lenses as GOD INTENDED THEM TO BE.

But this hybrid E/A mount with PDAF could be cool, or just as easily be fever dreams.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Thinking about it further, what would be super killer would be if Sony created what would essentially be a digital version of an Olympus XA or Contax T2. Compact fixed-lens full frame digital camera. They'd pretty much have the market to themselves. I mean hell, the T2 lens was designed by Zeiss so all they have to do is go back in the archives and duplicate the formula.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Really I just want to use my rangefinder lenses as GOD INTENDED THEM TO BE.

With film?

edit: thread-related, I am picking up an FD 300/4L to use with the E-M5. Experimenting with a more compact wildlife setup than the 7d+500L. Obviously it will be manual focus only so will only realistically be used for still and slow moving things, but might be easier to haul into difficult terrain.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 19, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

edit: thread-related, I am picking up an FD 300/4L to use with the E-M5. Experimenting with a more compact wildlife setup than the 7d+500L. Obviously it will be manual focus only so will only realistically be used for still and slow moving things, but might be easier to haul into difficult terrain.

Get a Nikon V1 with the 500L. You'll get better photos of Mars than Curiosity.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
So I was thinking about taking my trusty GF1 and just the 20mm to the Grand Canyon and leaving my 14-45 and 45-200 at home to save weight. Crazy good idea or crazy dumb idea?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
If ever there was a good reason to have a focal length wider than 40 mm, I'd think the Grand Canyon would be it.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Leaks! Leaks everywhere!
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/sony-nex-5r-and-nex-6-leaked-through-chinese-agency/

Looks interesting for those thinking of getting into the NEX system. Nothing about a fullframe camera so far.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

RustedChrome posted:

Leaks! Leaks everywhere!
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/sony-nex-5r-and-nex-6-leaked-through-chinese-agency/

Looks interesting for those thinking of getting into the NEX system. Nothing about a fullframe camera so far.

I don't know, I got a C3 because it was small, light and had a great sensor. Surfing the web with my camera?

On the other hand, I can get behind the notion of an APP based camera.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

maxmars posted:

I don't know, I got a C3 because it was small, light and had a great sensor. Surfing the web with my camera?

On the other hand, I can get behind the notion of an APP based camera.

Yeah I don't really want to shoot directly to Facebook or something. If there will be apps to assist with things like long exposures or high-speed shooting, that will be cool. Sadly, I think there will be more offerings along the lines of Hipstamatic and Instagram that will make your expensive camera take photos just like a phone trying to look like a toy camera.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

RustedChrome posted:

Yeah I don't really want to shoot directly to Facebook or something. If there will be apps to assist with things like long exposures or high-speed shooting, that will be cool. Sadly, I think there will be more offerings along the lines of Hipstamatic and Instagram that will make your expensive camera take photos just like a phone trying to look like a toy camera.

Using toy camera lenses on my GH2 is about the most fun I've ever had with a camera. :colbert:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Miso Beno posted:

Using toy camera lenses on my GH2 is about the most fun I've ever had with a camera. :colbert:

Agreed, I enjoy the plastic lomo lens on my EPM-1. It's s lot more fun than some phone app.

Also, this is why rumors sites have "rumors" in the name:

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/sony-e-mount-full-frame-is-coming-for-high-end-camcorders-only-for-now/

As we all suspected, a full-frame NEX just doesn't make sense.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Miso Beno posted:

It's not the same as putting an instagram filter onto a picture though! I also have a number of queer camera setups and the outcome's always a (pleasant) surprise.

Case in point:

With instagram, same effect always gives same outcome.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

RustedChrome posted:

As we all suspected, a full-frame NEX just doesn't make sense.

Some words on SARS* says that full-frame e-mount cameras will be camcorders, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

*pun intended

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Thors Banhammer posted:

Some words on SARS* says that full-frame e-mount cameras will be camcorders, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

*pun intended

Maybe not yet, but he seems pretty confident that an NEX version is in the works, probably for next year. If the camcorder goes with the hybrid E-mount (in crop mode)/A-mount setup, I'd expect the same from the still camera.

Personally, I'm with the SAR dude; Sony's been pushing the envelope with the NEX and then the SLT stuff, I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out with an FF mirrorless system when they're ready.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
My girlfriend's sister is in the market for a new camera. I think she mainly just wants to use it as a point and shoot, but wanted something that would give her better pictures than one (and thus was looking at mirrorless cameras). She had been looking at the Nikon 1J, but from reading some of this thread and other online reviews, for the price, would be better served by a Sony NEX-3 or an Olympus PL1/2, right? Is there another camera she should be considering? She's not trying to spend a whole lot of money, so the newest and having the "best" isn't so important.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The Sony RX100 may be just what she's looking for.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If she is going to use it as a point and shoot, then she might as well just get a point and shoot and end up with a much more convenient package overall. The above suggested RX100 is apparently great, or she could get an old Canon S95 and save some bucks since you mentioned that she doesn't need the latest and greatest (or the newer S100 if she finds a deal).

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Sony announces Alpha NEX-5R Wi-Fi capable mirrorless camera with hybrid AF

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/08/29/Sony-announces-Alpha-NEX-5R-Wi-Fi-capable-mirrorless-camera-with-hybrid-AF-and-in-camera-apps

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
And so begins the addition of wifi into consumer cameras. I can't wait for the next generation of them. I still have my 5n and it's good enough for when I don't want my large gear-- but it's pretty tempting to be able to transfer them to my ipad while out without an eye-fi.

I really hope it allows wifi live view-- or at least that it will happen soon enough (either Sony or Fuji will probably be the first-- Canikon will lag behind as per usual).

e:vv I would be extremely surprised if their engineers would really have such an oversight. They may not have the best/most intuitive UI, but they're not incompetent. A wifi radio saps a lot of power, especially while it's constantly searching.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 29, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I hope they have it so that you can turn off wifi and not have it suck up power in the background even if you're not using it.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Got my 45-200 in today for my EPM-1. Finally going to get some more reach at the Zoo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

HPL posted:

I hope they have it so that you can turn off wifi and not have it suck up power in the background even if you're not using it.

gently caress the wifi, if they have on-sensor PDAF working well this is pretty drat awesome.