Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's a tautology I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

duckfarts posted:

No. Tea shops are pretty awesome, and some have other sorts of bits in them, like aloe jelly and stuff, there's the fruit teas like passion fruit whatevers, and they're all cheeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaapppp.

:smith:

I waaaaaaaaant.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Just to back-up what Haraksha said the food in Taiwan isn't that bad at all. Its just that the people here tend to eat the same things day in and day out, and besides (some of) the soups its almost all fried in some form or other. Though with that said, I still end up eating a lot of it anyways, because you generally get your food fast, and its really cheap at the local places.

Also as Haraksha said there are a plethora of restaurants from other countries that are quite authentic and very delicious. The costs tend to be higher, but its worth it when your tired of eating fried X with a side of fried Y & Z.

Also doing any one of the following things in front of a Taiwanese person will leave them utterly mortified:

- Eating a raw vegetable that isn't slathered in dressing
- Eating something directly out of the refrigerator
- Suggest that a person under the age of ~25 should try cooking something on their own (instant noodles do not count)

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Any of you folks know a legit website to buy DVDs that will ship overseas? I'm trying to pick up a couple DVDs for a gift and all I'm getting are shady looking outfits in China.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Any of you folks know a legit website to buy DVDs that will ship overseas? I'm trying to pick up a couple DVDs for a gift and all I'm getting are shady looking outfits in China.
Can you be more specific? Buy DVDs here to ship somewhere else, or buy DVDs from another region that get shipped to Taiwan?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

duckfarts posted:

Can you be more specific? Buy DVDs here to ship somewhere else, or buy DVDs from another region that get shipped to Taiwan?

Buy Taiwanese DVDs from overseas to ship overseas.

I'm looking to buy some DVDs as a gift. They are not available in the US and none of the normal DVD importers stock it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Buy Taiwanese DVDs from overseas to ship overseas.

I'm looking to buy some DVDs as a gift. They are not available in the US and none of the normal DVD importers stock it.
Maybe play-asia.com? They normally do games, but they have some DVD stuff in there too, and they ship internationally fine. I have a $5 off $60 coupon still if you need it.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Well came up to Taipei for a trip to Sun Moon Lake and the guy flaked out, so my Thursday is now wide open.

mad carl
Feb 11, 2009

Haraksha posted:

Sanxia is far away and the sashimi isn't that great. It's just a large quantity for a low price. However, there is also an awesome meat on a stick vendor next to the fish. Mad Carl can vouch for the quality of the food there.

The meat on a stick vendor is amazing.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

What's for breakfast in this world?
Best place for a sunset? Tamsui?
Supermarkets?
Hot Springs... In the summer?

Best place to reach me is gtalk, Kakao, whatsapp, or line

I think museums tomorrow and then Friday I have heard of a few things. Nothing at all planned for Saturday :(

Going to try supermarket if I can find one. Do my shopping before I forget.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

DontAskKant posted:

What's for breakfast in this world?
Best place for a sunset? Tamsui?
Supermarkets?
Hot Springs... In the summer?

Welcomme Supermarket will see you right for most of the local things.
You'll find Kaoliang there (and at every 7/11).

If you're looking for decent Scotch/Kaoliang there is a well priced/well stocked cigarettes and alcohol store near the snake alley (I forget the proper name right now). But get off at Longshan MRT. You'll see where you need to go when you exit. That's nightmarket is "the" place to go for old ropey hookers, snake blood and a foot massage.

The cigarettes and alcohol store was on a side street off the main snake blood selling bit. It won't take you an age to cover the area, so take your time and look around.
NB: I never tried it, but a colleague tell's me there a bunch of stores below Longshan worth looking at for cheap poo poo. Personally, I'd use the one below TMS MRT, there's a huge amount of stuff there too.

Breakfast is cool: you're wanting to try 油條 (Youtiao) have some of that with the sweet soy milk/almond milk. Life is all good.

Failing that Fried Radish Cake is p decent and not uber fatty.
If you're still not happy, get yourself a bacon/eggs/cheese sandwich man!
(paygan, dan, chi si, san ming chi) <--- how I say it
Péigēn, jīdàn, nǎilào, Sānmíngzhì <---- how goog x-late does it

The national museum is well worth a visit, and it's very reasonably priced too.

Hotsprings are at beitou, public ones are dirt cheap at 20NT$
Private ones are better suited to a couple
If you're up that way, then yeah head over to Tamsui/Danshui for a cool sunset.

If you specifically want this sunset type view:

Then head here: (I don't know the proper name)

It's near Xindian, and you'll need to take a cab up the mountain (the walk will take you more than an hour, and it's fukn steep). Very sensibly they don't/didn't sell beer when I was there.

hth

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Peigen Zhishi Dan Bing!

(Chinese burrito filled with eggs and bacon and cheese and stuff)

Edit: This is the cracker-est Chinese breakfast you can possibly buy. I love them and hate myself for it at the same time.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Below TMS MRT like Q square or below that?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

Peigen Zhishi Dan Bing!

(Chinese burrito filled with eggs and bacon and cheese and stuff)

Edit: This is the cracker-est Chinese breakfast you can possibly buy. I love them and hate myself for it at the same time.

I'm getting it in either regular white bread, or a bagel rather than a burito, but yeah that's pretty fair summary.

DontAskKant, below Q square.

Like a million stalls of stuff.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Well that was a pain and a waste, looks like the Maokong gondola will be closed every time I can go. Apparently it is a gale that isn't strong enough to move a leaf that shut it down.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Trust me, the last place you'd want to be in any kind of gale is the maokong gondola.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

So who is going to the Daocheng Fireworks Festival on Saturday? http://www.taipeitravel.net/frontsite/en/intro/activityListAction.do?method=doFindActivityById&menuId=1030104&activityId=1385

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
If you go, you better go early to get in the waterside area vs standing on the street with your view blokes by a wall, and get ready for a large mass of people.

e: blocked by a wall, drat autocorrect

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 16, 2012

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah, we went last year and it was loving packed, like to the point that we tried heading to Dadaocheng and ended up shuffling down the road with the crowd most of the way down to Main Station area. Worth it if you can get a decent view, though. Less so if you end up staring at a wall with a highway on top of it and no sight of fireworks.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Has anyone transitioned from English teaching work to a different line of work in Taiwan yet? If so, how has your experience been and what line of work are you in now? I know a few have mentioned about this already, just looking for a roll call basically.

Aside from graduate school considerations, I really don't see myself going back to the United States to live at all. I know career security is definitely an issue for the future, but for right now as a young single male wanting to get better at Mandarin and to volunteer with Amnesty International in Taipei, English teaching in Taiwan seems like a perfect fit for me right now. :)

[EDIT]: On a completely different note, does Taiwan have any kind of a rave scene? How late do clubs or bars usually stay open till? Do people wander around drunk until 6 am like in Korea?

I ask since I had my first experience with a rave electronic music night the other night at a local bar and had a blast. I'd probably be one of those guys in a Berlin night club dancing until the sun rises. :dance:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 17, 2012

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

When I used to go out all the time, the standard thing was meet at the club at 10, drink/dance until 3 or 4 when the place starts emptying out, then going to a KTV until 6ish when the subway opens up.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.
Does anyone know of an "old man's" league for ice hockey in Taipei? Maybe an inline hockey club or something at least?

Also, anyone have any comments on the Daan District in Taipei? That's where I'll be living from Wednesday.

Thx

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Do the Taiwanese not bow? Realized with my sore neck today that I haven't bowed once since here.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

DontAskKant posted:

Do the Taiwanese not bow? Realized with my sore neck today that I haven't bowed once since here.

They do, but it's very rare. It's not a common greeting like in Japan and Korea. It's typically reserved for formal occasions as a sign of deep respect.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One of the most bizarre moments of my life was wandering through an E-mart in Korea late at night and suddenly this chime plays and like 20 employees in bright yellow shirts materialize out of nothing and do 8 synchronized bows with big forced smiles on their face. I was the only customer in view and I swear they were all staring straight at me. :gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Mission "get poo poo for Korea" accomplished, but I had to spend $2885NT on my debit card. Assuming all these bottles of liquor don't break and I can get through customs I will have sausage and jerkey and mango and a gently caress ton of booze and tea. Hopefully this higher/middle end Taiwanese whiskey is good. Hong Kong guy recommended a $2500 bottle, said it was famous in Hong Kong and it was 3x the price there. Also had a good trappist ale and chicken hearts on the street as my last meal if I don't find breakfast.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Haraksha posted:

They do, but it's very rare. It's not a common greeting like in Japan and Korea. It's typically reserved for formal occasions as a sign of deep respect.
Or for doing at customers walking through the mall you work at as it's about to close.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TetsuoTW posted:

Or for doing at customers walking through the mall you work at as it's about to close.

Also if you're the first person in the morning.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Why do you keep all your Malaysians and Indonesians crowded and piled around the low #s of exits Y and M on Sunday morning? That was ridiculous. I have never had to shove through so many women in hajibs.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DontAskKant posted:

Why do you keep all your Malaysians and Indonesians crowded and piled around the low #s of exits Y and M on Sunday morning? That was ridiculous. I have never had to shove through so many women in hajibs.
They're probably there to hang out with their compatriots that get a day off from being hired help they whitey does at Shida, but with much less drinking and many more people with poo poo-terrible jobs.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!

dtb posted:

Does anyone know of an "old man's" league for ice hockey in Taipei? Maybe an inline hockey club or something at least?

Also, anyone have any comments on the Daan District in Taipei? That's where I'll be living from Wednesday.

Thx

I've been living in Daan for almost three years and have no plans to leave yet. It's so close to a lot of interesting places, but not noisy or expensive. Where exactly are you going to live? My apartment is near the Technology Building MRT station.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I found Kinmen 38 here and the cost is $1585NTD. I already miss people not shoving me and the lines people made for public transit. Fruit I miss that too, even the more manageable amount of rain yall have.

hydro
Aug 14, 2000
Veteran Asian

Oz_Bonus posted:

I've been living in Daan for almost three years and have no plans to leave yet. It's so close to a lot of interesting places, but not noisy or expensive. Where exactly are you going to live? My apartment is near the Technology Building MRT station.

hey oz, i'm near the technology building MRT, around the new hi-life. what happened with that killer japanese ramen, 1h1v.com? what are your favorite things to eat in that area?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I bet y'all have limes all over the place... :smith:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Toussaint Louverture posted:

They don't even use all of them. I saw some just sitting whole in a big metal bowl with ice. As decoration! I saw others sitting in jars of water. I could even get a lime in my gin and tonic on my cheapo economy class ticket over the East China Sea, but I can't get one at a fancy bar in Seoul?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hydro posted:

what happened with that killer japanese ramen, 1h1v.com?
According to their website, they're closed for remodeling until sometime in September.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Oz_Bonus posted:

I live in DaAn as well, but I'm at the far end of it I guess. I'm at CKS Hall Station, 3 minutes from the station and park. Nice quiet place here, and about 20 minute walk to ShiDa, with a direct line from this MRT to Ximen.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Toussaint Louverture posted:

They don't have limes in Korea? That's really weird. Why would fruit be in short abundance?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Fruit is not kimchi.

To be fair, they have the world's best tangerines in Korea. I think I actually got orange slices with a tequila shot once there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

HappyHelmet posted:

They don't have limes in Korea? That's really weird. Why would fruit be in short abundance?

We have fruit it's just expensive. $4 for a small lovely lime? I've seen $6 for a pear and $13 for a cantaloupe.