Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

quote:

Losing to heavy-hitters like Brock Lesnar, Shane Carwin and Junior dos Santos is nothing to be ashamed of, but the way he lost these fights is, however, despicable.

i dont understand where despicableness comes in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/The-Pride-of-El-Salvador-43981

the writing is ponderous but the story is pretty amazing

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Bundt Cake posted:

i dont understand where despicableness comes in

quote:

After eating hard shots, Mir will inevitably fall awkwardly to the canvas and either cinch up a submission (as he did against Nogueira) or turtle up until the referee saves him from further damage.

He is not truly hurt in these instances; he just wants to be done.

If you watch the sport enough, you can tell when somebody is legitimately out of it or when somebody is merely quitting on themselves, and Mir falls into the latter category in his TKO defeats.

As I mentioned, getting hit by huge, powerful heavyweights cannot be fun, and I don not necessarily blame him for wanting to GTFO.

I do blame him, however, for trying to dupe us into thinking he is hurt and has nothing left to give in his fights. In this sense, he is robbing us of potential classic fights.

When some of the hardest hitting heavyweights in the world punch Mir in the face, he often falls down, but not because the punches hurt him. A person whose brain was actually scrambled by a punch would never fall to the ground before reverting to grappling instinct. If you watch enough MMA you can totally tell.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Oh Jesus, that guy's abusing semicolons too. It makes my poor technical writer heart cry. It's been said a zillion times, but a couple of knowledgeable goon MMA fans coupled with a couple of goon editors could easily produce the best MMA website in existence.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Hmm yes Mir surely considers ref stoppage a way to "avoid further damage".

I guess "avoid further damage" = "a gorilla pounds my skull until dan mirgliotta gets bored".

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Just a friendly reminder that Middle Easy continues to be really loving dumb.

Are shape-shifting reptilian aliens infilitrating UFC? Hey, it's a valid question...

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

-Atom- posted:

Just a friendly reminder that Middle Easy continues to be really loving dumb.

Are shape-shifting reptilian aliens infilitrating UFC? Hey, it's a valid question...

Its one of the few sites that gave JT the recognition he deserves. It is also quite satirical from time to time, considering the current state of mma journalism, it gets a pass from me.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Do any goons in here know where I can find out what kind of equipment/software I would need to start a podcast?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

willie_dee posted:

Do any goons in here know where I can find out what kind of equipment/software I would need to start a podcast?

You need to find someone with an elaborate amount of pulleys and levers.

Also, I've been rewatching some JT fights. He is the man.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

willie_dee posted:

Here are a couple of decent guides:

http://baddice.co.uk/podcasting-equipment/
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/starting-podcast-recording-equipment-platforms/

Your equipment needs depend on what kind of things you'll be doing, eg are you doing remote interviews? phone ins? in studio exclusively? I would suggest at the very least, you need a decent microphone, a mixer, and headphones. You can do it without these things, but it will sound like poo poo. Software is the easy part, you can use Audacity fine on windows, or garageband on apple.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Also, I've been rewatching some JT fights. He is the man.

Well you may be interested in a podcast that is in the works to go alongside a certain persons blog.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

dokmo posted:

Here are a couple of decent guides:

http://baddice.co.uk/podcasting-equipment/
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/starting-podcast-recording-equipment-platforms/

Your equipment needs depend on what kind of things you'll be doing, eg are you doing remote interviews? phone ins? in studio exclusively? I would suggest at the very least, you need a decent microphone, a mixer, and headphones. You can do it without these things, but it will sound like poo poo. Software is the easy part, you can use Audacity fine on windows, or garageband on apple.

Thanks for this. I didn't even know a "Mixer" was a thing.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

willie_dee posted:

Well you may be interested in a podcast that is in the works to go alongside a certain persons blog.

awww man that's awesome I love podcasts and JT seems really likeable and down to earth on his blog. i would love to hear his candid thoughts on mma and whatever else on a regular basis.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Willie, what research have you done into podcasts? i.e. have you lsitened extensively to find out what works and what doesn't?

Obviously as a brit you might know the Ricky Gervais podcast which is quite successful. Has a great dynamic between the three participants.
Then of course Joe Rogan does a podcast. He has rotating guests and they talk about themselves but also his crazy poo poo.
I currently really enjoy the show uhh yeah dude, which is just two americans hanging out and talking about america. They filmed a couple of their recordings so you can maybe use that as a reference (youtube). They have little cards where the poo poo they wanna talk about is on so they don't get lost and so on.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

niethan posted:

Willie, what research have you done into podcasts? i.e. have you lsitened extensively to find out what works and what doesn't?

Obviously as a brit you might know the Ricky Gervais podcast which is quite successful. Has a great dynamic between the three participants.
Then of course Joe Rogan does a podcast. He has rotating guests and they talk about themselves but also his crazy poo poo.
I currently really enjoy the show uhh yeah dude, which is just two americans hanging out and talking about america. They filmed a couple of their recordings so you can maybe use that as a reference (youtube). They have little cards where the poo poo they wanna talk about is on so they don't get lost and so on.

I have been doing exactly this a lot. The problem I'm finding is the technical set up.

I don't want to have 2 microphones, one for left channel and one for right, and then have a case where peoples voices only come out of the one speaker on either side.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You have to have more than one microphone if you want to have guests.

You will also need somebody to operate the mixer during the show (you can do this if you're good at multitasking, but I think most radio shows and podcasts have somebody operating the board).

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

1st AD posted:

You have to have more than one microphone if you want to have guests.

What if willie and the recurring guest share a mic? I mean I guess they'll have to get really close to eachother. Their lips so close to the mic, so close to eachother. You can feel his breath on your face.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I guess that could work if the guest is James Thompson.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The only guest will be James Thompson, ever. Every other episode will be an hour of JT's breathing in his sleep. The ultimate fan podcast.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you needed any more evidence FrontRowBrian doesn't have a clue, he posted this on Meltzer's board after the Silva offering to fight on UFC 151 surfaced:

"it's one of those offers you know no one will take you up on so you offer ... the MMA version of Mayweather/Pac with 8 days to promote? LOL. Yeah okaay"

You would think an insider would know that Anderson Silva did not offer to fight Jon Jones... especially since everyone else did. Seems like he loves making poo poo up about Anderson Silva.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
FrontRowBrian tries real hard to be like the Chael Sonnen of MMA Journalism but he really just comes off like a twat

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
http://fcfighter.com/post/full-contact-fighters-the-daily-takedown-silva-vs-rockhold-and-five-other-real-dream-matches#.UEEO174HlrU.twitter

Check out these sweet-rear end dream fights we could have if Dana White weren't such a putz. Remember the days when Aoki was "seemingly unbeatable"? Me neither.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Chexoid posted:

http://fcfighter.com/post/full-contact-fighters-the-daily-takedown-silva-vs-rockhold-and-five-other-real-dream-matches#.UEEO174HlrU.twitter

Check out these sweet-rear end dream fights we could have if Dana White weren't such a putz. Remember the days when Aoki was "seemingly unbeatable"? Me neither.

LOL at that list.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I am shocked that people still think Mousasi is good, even after his performances against Mo and Jardine.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Finally someone has written the dumbest thing ever put to internet about MMA:

That Stupid Article posted:

(Junior Dos Santos needs to be in a fight before he can claim that title. He knocked out an unprepared, flustered Cain Velasquez and beat an outmatched Frank Mir, but we don’t know how he respond after he gets hit in the face).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

kensei posted:

LOL at that list.

It's pretty impressive how little that person knows about any of the fighters he mentioned. I could go on about how Cormier couldn't put away an old, fat Josh Barnett or how losing to Condit means Diaz doesn't deserve a shot, but my time would be equally well spent jamming needles into my urethra.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

quote:

Cormier broke his right hand in the opening stanza of his five-round battle with the former UFC heavyweight champion. It was the same hand he broke when he knocked out Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva in September in the tournament semifinals.

The former Olympic wrestler decided against surgery the first time around, which made for an eight-month stretch between his fights. This time, he wants to let it properly heal.

"I think this time I'm going to take a different approach," Cormier said. "I think I'm going to have surgery on it and get it fixed, because I don't want it to be recurring and then end up costing me later and later on down the line."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/5/20/3032413/strikeforce-daniel-cormier-josh-barnett-break-hands-mma-news

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

Haraksha posted:

It's pretty impressive how little that person knows about any of the fighters he mentioned. I could go on about how Cormier couldn't put away an old, fat Josh Barnett or how losing to Condit means Diaz doesn't deserve a shot, but my time would be equally well spent jamming needles into my urethra.

Barnett isn't "old and fat" he's actually got a very good skillset. Barnett's boxing is solid as hell (and has been for a long time), his wrestling is pretty good and his top game has always been excellent. In the course of the fight it was confirmed that Barnett has a decent bottom game too. Cormier completely dominating the stand up and the wrestling was actually incredibly impressive, especially when you consider what a big step up in competition it was.

Barnett is a superior version of Mir in my opinion.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Haraksha posted:

Uuuh Josh has always been fat and he's still a pretty good, durable fighter as far as heavyweights go. Cain got his 2nd shot at JDS through a 1 fight winning streak involving the guy Cormier knocked out in 1 round. There are so many dumb things in the article so that it's really hard to reply to that poo poo without looking clever, but you somehow managed to do it. :smith:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I don't know, it's Josh Barnett. Didn't he also have a broken hand in that fight? He's not Tim Sylvia fat, but he isn't exactly lean. Isn't this the same guy that sat on a dude in mount and couldn't end the fight for like two rounds because of how horrible his cardio was?

I know he's good "for the B-leagues", but this is a non-UFC heavyweight. "Good for the B-leagues" is far from a ringing endorsement. To then go on to say that Cormier beating him means anything at all, let alone being the best heavyweight next to Overeem, seems a bit of a stretch.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Paul Pot posted:

Cain got his 2nd shot at JDS through a 1 fight winning streak involving the guy Cormier knocked out in 1 round.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

Haraksha posted:

I don't know, it's Josh Barnett. Didn't he also have a broken hand in that fight? He's not Tim Sylvia fat, but he isn't exactly lean. Isn't this the same guy that sat on a dude in mount and couldn't end the fight for like two rounds because of how horrible his cardio was?

I know he's good "for the B-leagues", but this is a non-UFC heavyweight. "Good for the B-leagues" is far from a ringing endorsement. To then go on to say that Cormier beating him means anything at all, let alone being the best heavyweight next to Overeem, seems a bit of a stretch.

What does a tire around his gut have to do with his skills? He's always had that flab. As for sitting in mount for two rounds, if you had actually watched that fight with Yvel you would realize that:

A) the fight was 3 years ago and

B) it wasn't a cardio issue, it was a work rate issue

Barnett fought lazy that fight. Not that it matters now, since he's fought exactly like he's always fought since then.

All that aside, you are disregarding his entire career and subbing in "broken hand and chubby" against Cormier instead of watching his classics with Nog and how dominate he's been between the last Nog fight and Cormier.

If being in the B-leauges is keeping you guessing, keep in mind that Barnett is the one heavyweight not named Fedor that the UFC hates. There's a reason he was kept behind during the big transfer of HW talent and it had nothing to do with talent. Otherwise Shane del Rosario and Lavar Johnson would still be fighting local talent on the Showtime main card.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Alright, you got me, beating Barnett definitely proves that Cormier is more worthy of being called the number one heavyweight in the world than JDS.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

Haraksha posted:

Alright, you got me, beating Barnett definitely proves that Cormier is more worthy of being called the number one heavyweight in the world than JDS.

So that's how we're playing it?

Boregasm posted:

Barnett isn't "old and fat" he's actually got a very good skillset. Barnett's boxing is solid as hell (and has been for a long time), his wrestling is pretty good and his top game has always been excellent. In the course of the fight it was confirmed that Barnett has a decent bottom game too. Cormier completely dominating the stand up and the wrestling was actually incredibly impressive, especially when you consider what a big step up in competition it was.

Barnett is a superior version of Mir in my opinion.

Boregasm posted:

What does a tire around his gut have to do with his skills? He's always had that flab. As for sitting in mount for two rounds, if you had actually watched that fight with Yvel you would realize that:

A) the fight was 3 years ago and

B) it wasn't a cardio issue, it was a work rate issue

Barnett fought lazy that fight. Not that it matters now, since he's fought exactly like he's always fought since then.

All that aside, you are disregarding his entire career and subbing in "broken hand and chubby" against Cormier instead of watching his classics with Nog and how dominate he's been between the last Nog fight and Cormier.

If being in the B-leauges is keeping you guessing, keep in mind that Barnett is the one heavyweight not named Fedor that the UFC hates. There's a reason he was kept behind during the big transfer of HW talent and it had nothing to do with talent. Otherwise Shane del Rosario and Lavar Johnson would still be fighting local talent on the Showtime main card.

Here are my two posts. Please, PLEASE tell me where I ranked Barnett in any of those two posts. Or where I mentioned Overeem at all. Or where I said Barnett is a better contender than Overeem. Or mentioned contenders in general. Or where I said the article was valid in anyway possible.

As far as I can tell, I just said you were stupid because you completely disregarded Barnett as a bum, but what the gently caress do I know. Apparently I'm the rear end in a top hat.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Haraksha posted:

Nobody's defending the article, you replied to the article with some really dumb opinions of your own for which you need to be chastized on the internet.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I may have exaggerated how much of a bum Barnett is, but my overall point was that beating Barnett shouldn't be cause for ranking Cormier above JDS as the article does.

Rereading my first post on the subject, I did a fairly awful job getting that point across, so there's that.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Can't we all just get along?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

niethan posted:

Can't we all just get along?

fatherdog posted:

nope

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Let's discuss how obvious it is that Anderson Silva has to pass the torch to "the sport's brightest youngstar" Luke Rockhold.

Also, for the first time in the history of the universe, "Keith Jardine" and "awkward" appeared in the same sentence without being related to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Ben Fowlkes posted:

"Five and three?" Heyman said of Lesnar's record. "But look at the five – and look at the three."

Don't mind if I do, Paul. First there's Min-Soo Kim, who also sports losses to Bob Sapp and an over-the-hill Don Frye on his record. Then there's Heath Herring, who, by that point, had been winning one and losing the next like it was part of some schedule he felt compelled to keep. There's also Randy Couture, who had no business fighting at heavyweight, and Frank Mir, who won one and lost one against Lesnar, but somehow only seems to get credit for the latter. Finally, there's Shane Carwin, who might have beaten Lesnar if he'd had better cardio or been smarter about how he used it.

Despite obstacles overcome, Brock Lesnar's career not worthy of UFC hall of fame

Lesnar's victories don't count because Nogueira beat Herring, Randy went from beating up Gabriel Gonzaga to no longer being a credible heavyweight, Frank Mir totally won once so that shouldn't matter and Shane Carwin would have won if he didn't lose instead.

MMA journalism is catching onto the realization that all fighters are bad.

• Locked thread